Dishes and Bowls

Soup

Am looking to replace some againing dishes and bowls.

Last time we bought dishes and bowls was from a place out in Sterling, VA call Present Tense. Hand plainted bowls with really coloful simple designs. We loved them, althought I wish they didn't chip or crack as much. We are looking for similar type. Any place to get good plates and dishes at reasonable prices? Anyone know if Present Tense is even open (phone number I have went to another business).

Soup

Am looking to replace some againing dishes and bowls.

Last time we bought dishes and bowls was from a place out in Sterling, VA call Present Tense. Hand plainted bowls with really coloful simple designs. We loved them, althought I wish they didn't chip or crack as much. We are looking for similar type. Any place to get good plates and dishes at reasonable prices? Anyone know if Present Tense is even open (phone number I have went to another business).

Soup

Hand painted dishes are usually earthenware, which is fired at a lower temperature than porcelain and is more porous. I have read about a place called Fortessa in Sterling. http://www.fortessa.com/ I have not been there myself but their website looks great. You can also try Restaurant Depot for very simple dishes.

Deb

Hand painted dishes are usually earthenware, which is fired at a lower temperature than porcelain and is more porous. I have read about a place called Fortessa in Sterling. http://www.fortessa.com/ I have not been there myself but their website looks great. You can also try Restaurant Depot for very simple dishes.

Deb

Can you shop there without being a business owner (have a tax ID)? The RD on Eisenhower is close by and I'd love to get in there.

Can you shop there without being a business owner (have a tax ID)? The RD on Eisenhower is close by and I'd love to get in there.

You can't. I checked out the website because I wanted some sheet pans, but they require a resellers license or an exemption certificate for a non-profit. Granted, it doesn't matter what business the information is linked to, but they do want one.

So are the prices really good (i.e., worth the drive for me)?

HB

I went to Fortessa when I was looking for new dishes, and ended up buying a set elsewhere. They have lots of seconds and lots of serving dishes, but the stock of first quality dinnerware is dependent upon what is left over from larger orders from restaurants. It's a really fun place to shop for glassware and small plates, and the prices are excellent if you follow them on Facebook and catch a sale, but I'm not sure I would recommend them for an entire set of everyday dishes. As with everything, YMMV.

We have a couple of local chains that might be worth checking. Home Goods is an interesting source for kitchen and tableware--it is run by the TJ Maxx group. There is no predictability as to what you will find on the shelves, but the pricing is generally very good. World Market (Cost Plus for those of you from California) also has an eclectic selection, at prices that are often beyond fantastic.