Grapeseed, Cordell Avenue in Bethesda - Chef Jeff Heineman's Cafe and Wine Bar - Closed Jul 29, 2017 after 17 Years

On 8/29/2016 at 11:19 AM, Jeff Heineman said:

We ae openand running the same Free BBQ Ribs special as last week...with more added
Buy one Beer or wine and get a 1/2 Rack of Ribs or a Pulled Pork Sandwich. Tuesday through Thursday,

and then a ton of BBQ on Special Friday & Saturday for Labor Day Weekend

Come in and Eat Smoked Stuff

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure why folks aren't taking advantage of Chef's deal, as the ribs AND pulled pork sandwich are both AMAZING! I've never seen gelittleman scarf anything down as fast as he did that pulled pork sandwich tonight, and he usually whines about eating BBQ because of its "spiciness." He only shared a sliver, and that sliver was so tender and tasty, I can see why he inhaled it. The cornbread, which you can add for $2.50 was so buttery and good, paired very well with the tenderly smoked, falling off the bones, half-rack of ribs. 

Please go and say hello to Chef. He's truly an amazing man and chef to be doing this. I didn't mind driving an hour, through the rush-hour traffic, to enjoy these delectables. So no excuses! Go!

image.jpeg

• Like 8

FWIW We haven't had Weekend specials for three weeks. Well it's back

This week we celebrate the Bounty of the Chesapeake

with four dishes all featuring Blue Crab from our local Maryland waters

Claw Meat Salad, Engelmann Farms Chiles, Local Peach

Mini Jumbo Lump Cakes, Local Corn, Champagne Butter

Jumbo Lump, Orecchiette Pasta, Lemon, Chile and Mint

Crab Imperial, Jumbo Shrimp, Prosciutto

$45 per person

$20 Beverage Pairings will be available

All Items will be available A la Carte as well (limited quantities)

Call 301-986-9592 for reservations, please

On 9/18/2016 at 10:30 PM, Choirgirl21 said:

What days is this available? Friday and Sat? You're not open on Sunday, right?

I am doing the special menus on both Fridays and Saturdays for the time being. Reservations and mentioning ones desires (food only , please) would relly help me with ordering.

Not open Sundays, sorry.

Peruvian dishes this weekend, beef heart wil be an option, not mandatory.

• Like 2

FWIW - This weekend both Friday and Saturday. Please let me know when you reserve so I don't run out like last week.

Weekend Specials

September 23rd and 24th

Vic’s Peruvian Favorites

(There is no better way to Celebrate Christine being out of town)

Tiradito of Halibut and Local Peppers, Lime

Fresh and Grilled Tuna Causas, Rocoto Crema

Lomo Saltado, Rice, Chiles

Fresh Picarones, Chancaca Syrup

$40 per person

$20 Drink Pairings

All Items will be available A la Carte as well (limited quantities)

• Like 1

just a quick note to mention that Grapeseed is going to be moving a ton of our wines starting next week. i find the spawling nature of the list currently very annoying and the rule of 80% of our wine sales being made up of 20% of our wines  is more apparent than ever. I want to change to a list that is tighter and better curated.

Basically, I will have a list (Posted here I hope) of the wines and their marked down  (at least 50% off, maybe 75% for some) price while they last.

These are wines that are

A.) left over inventory from when they were by the glass (lots),

B.) wines that I thought would move better than they did (some),

or C.) wines they I loved that are a bit too unknown to sell (Awesome, kick ass Tannat from Uruguay, for example).

Oh, and the tasting menu is American Italian stuff this week. And I can be arm twisted to lower some bottles $ starting tonight btw, If you don't reserve I run out

• Like 2

Don't mean to be a shrill, but this charity is big for my wife and I , so here goes:

This weekend for our Special Cafe Terra Cotta Tasting menu we will be donating $10 per menu and $5 per margarita to Bald Beauties Project, a wonderful charity started by our special guest,Michael Luria's daughter Kelsey, The Project assists and supports our young friends overcoming Acute Myeloid Leukemia.

Please come in, eat well and support a wonderful cause
Please join us Friday or Saturday. Call 301-986-9592 to reserve

Jennifer’s  Tortilla Soup
Garlic Custard, Herbed Hazelnuts, Salsa Fresca
Fried Jalapeno Ravioli
Shrimp Stuffed with Herbed Goat Cheese, Tomato Coulis

$35

Diablo Margaritas half price all weekend So they are $5, yes, it all goes to the charity)
  • Like 6

Chef Jeff Heineman at Grapeseed has decided to offer a special menu on Friday and Saturday nights this weekend, to benefit CSAAC. Community Services for Autistic Adults and Children (CSAAC) has been supporting educational and residential services in Montgomery county for over 35 years.  Its a special place and my Aunt has been a resident for some time. It looks like a great menu at a great price. 

Claudia and I plan to go on Saturday evening. If you would like to meet us, it would make the night a lot of fun. 

There will be a special menu for $40. And Grapeseed will donate $10 to CSAAC from each menu ordered: The details are here:

Grilled Caesar Salad, Pork Belly BBQ

Chicken and Wild Mushroom Soup, Cornmeal Dumplings

Smoked Brisket, Crispy Potatoes, Pickled Onions

Fried Apple Pie A la Mode

Drink Pairings $20

Just RSVP and let Grapeseed know you want the special menu.

We are also having a private concert at Strathmore Sunday night with Martina McBride.Great seats are still available.
  • Like 5

Well this sucks.

Dear Family, Friends and Neighbors,

I am filled with mixed emotions as I announce that Grapeseed will be serving its final meals this month. Sad, because I have given so much of myself and asked so much of others, only to fall short of some of my more ambitious goals. Grateful, for all the great people who have pitched in to help me as I often needed help. And Relieved, that I can finally schedule a couple of orthopaedic surgeries and start walking like a human again, get to know my family, and find a new challenge. I take great pride in what we accomplished here and even in the things I tried to accomplish and failed. Learning all the way.

It has been a long, fruitful 17+ years here in Bethesda. This town was very different in 1999 when I first took over this space. 17 years of a lot of great food, serious and whimsical wines, too many memories to count, and even 6 or 7 marriages between staff members who met here at work. ( I am somehow quite proud of that)

Through the years we have won awards for both our fantastic food and our wine list, and unending thanks goes to all the staff members who made that all possible over the years. From Best New Restaurant, Best Chef in Bethesda, to Best Bar in Bethesda to Best Wine List we have done things we can all be proud of. There have been so many great people, I wish you all the best.

Our last service is scheduled for July 29th, and we will continue to make great food, including our usual fun tasting menu on the weekends. All of the wines on our award winning list will be offered for 33% off this week , 50% off later in the month, and be further discounted to “Best Offer” by the end of the month.

We have made so many friends, and watched so many relationships blossom here over the years, I hope that you will be able stop by or make reservations for one more meal with us. (Or three, there is a lot of wine here)

So please find the time to visit, pat your favorite staff member on the back and tip one back for all of us.

Thank you for 17+ great, great years.

Jeff Heineman
Grapeseed

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jandres374 said:

Well this sucks.

Dear Family, Friends and Neighbors,

I am filled with mixed emotions as I announce that Grapeseed will be serving its final meals this month. Sad, because I have given so much of myself and asked so much of others, only to fall short of some of my more ambitious goals. Grateful, for all the great people who have pitched in to help me as I often needed help. And Relieved, that I can finally schedule a couple of orthopaedic surgeries and start walking like a human again, get to know my family, and find a new challenge. I take great pride in what we accomplished here and even in the things I tried to accomplish and failed. Learning all the way.

It has been a long, fruitful 17+ years here in Bethesda. This town was very different in 1999 when I first took over this space. 17 years of a lot of great food, serious and whimsical wines, too many memories to count, and even 6 or 7 marriages between staff members who met here at work. ( I am somehow quite proud of that)

Through the years we have won awards for both our fantastic food and our wine list, and unending thanks goes to all the staff members who made that all possible over the years. From Best New Restaurant, Best Chef in Bethesda, to Best Bar in Bethesda to Best Wine List we have done things we can all be proud of. There have been so many great people, I wish you all the best.

Our last service is scheduled for July 29th, and we will continue to make great food, including our usual fun tasting menu on the weekends. All of the wines on our award winning list will be offered for 33% off this week , 50% off later in the month, and be further discounted to “Best Offer” by the end of the month.

We have made so many friends, and watched so many relationships blossom here over the years, I hope that you will be able stop by or make reservations for one more meal with us. (Or three, there is a lot of wine here)

So please find the time to visit, pat your favorite staff member on the back and tip one back for all of us.

Thank you for 17+ great, great years.

Jeff Heineman
Grapeseed

I don't know whether to like this post to show my appreciation or just sulk and hate it.  Instead, I'll just offer a thanks to Jeff and his crew for 17 years (12 of which I got to enjoy).  You will be missed after you're gone and enjoyed as much as I can until then.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, zgast said:

I don't know whether to like this post to show my appreciation or just sulk and hate it.  Instead, I'll just offer a thanks to Jeff and his crew for 17 years (12 of which I got to enjoy).  You will be missed after you're gone and enjoyed as much as I can until then.

It makes me angry that Grapeseed never got the press it deserved.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Would anyone like me to set up a happy hour with Jeff? (Preferably a weekday, since this month will be crowded there anyway, and they need to sell as many of their wines as possible.)

Would love to do that.  Think my +1 would love to as well.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Would anyone like me to set up a happy hour with Jeff? (Preferably a weekday, since this month will be crowded there anyway, and they need to sell as many of their wines as possible.)

Yes.  Wednesday is best.

Well. Damn. :(

I do not remember how many times I've been there over those 17 years. Lots of lunches, lots of dinners. Even there several times for big work dinners. I'll miss it for sure and wish Jeff the best of luck on whatever is next. I will absolutely try to make it there at least one more time before the close. I'll keep my eyes peeled here as well for any DR-related thing. Although, to get to Bethesda from Ballston at rush hour is...a wee bit difficult (but not impossible).

On 7/8/2017 at 4:55 PM, Jeff Heineman said:

Would be a joy to host you all.

This whole thing is bittersweet. My lease was up and I didn't want to sign and be committed to 5 more years. Just can't make the numbers work any more, already working 6 days a week and tired of downsizing. Next time I will put a chunk of money aside for the remodel at the beginning. By the time you need to remodel it is harder to raise the money and the world passes you by.

I learned a hell of a lot more trying not to go down than I ever did while I was on top.

Please note this event, and chime in ASAP if you want to come, even just to stop by.

dr.com Happy Hour at Grapeseed, Wed, Jul 19, 5 PM - ?

• Like 1

MC Horoscope and I went tonight and thought it was fantastic.  We had the sommelier arrange wine pairings and each one went perfectly with our courses.  We hope to make it back before the end of the month.  We’re going to miss this place!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 9:54 PM, Go for Gin said:

MC Horoscope and I went tonight and thought it was fantastic.  We had the sommelier arrange wine pairings and each one went perfectly with our courses.  We hope to make it back before the end of the month.  We’re going to miss this place!

You might have been at the table next to us.  We got a bottle of white and a bottle of red - have to help move inventory. :)

An excellent tasting menu made us recall how many great meals we've had at Grapeseed.  I'm sure we would have dined there much more often if it didn't mean crossing the river.  It will be missed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jpbloom said:

You might have been at the table next to us.  We got a bottle of white and a bottle of red - have to help move inventory. :)

An excellent tasting menu made us recall how many great meals we've had at Grapeseed.  I'm sure we would have dined there much more often if it didn't mean crossing the river.  It will be missed.

Good thinking about the wine.  We also ordered a bottle at a 33% discount.  We just had a small pour and took the rest home with us.  It sounds funny for just two people, but next time we plan on ordering a bottle for each of us.  Everyone seemed to be drinking wine!

25 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Closed. 

:-(

I was there last night to pay homage to Jeff, and spent an obscene amount of money - the wines at the bar were being shared, and were flowing like, well, wine.

Grapeseed may be closed, but I'm less than an hour away from having a Grapeseed meal.

Last night, I bought two bottles of wine which were entry-level bottlings from two of the best white-wine producers in the world, and had a 2014 Donnhoff Riesling Trocken, and a 2012 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer, sharing most of the wines with my bar-mates.

More importantly, I took home all of my Brick Chicken ($24) with crushed potatoes, spinach, and lemon caper sauce; and got a second entree of Crab Cakes ($28), two marvelous crab cakes with arugula and daikon salad, and Thai pepper caramel sauce, as well as a second appetizer of New Orleans BBQ Shrimp ($15) with grilled bread, all three items to be enjoyed today for lunch. Actually, my plate of food just got plopped down right next to me (*).

I also made sure my last-ever bite of food at Grapeseed was a piece of bread dipped in that crack-like dipping sauce of olive oil, tomato puree, and garlic - wow, I'll miss that dip.

Thank you, Grapeseed, and best of luck with your upcoming surgery, Jeff. We'll all miss you - please let us know where you emerge next, even though I know it will most likely be in Frederick County - I'll make the drive, and I'm sure others will also.

(*) IMG_3388.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, yeah said:

Apple hand pies [from Red Truck Bakery] --a vastly superior version of the only thing I can eat from McDonald's.  That's almost certainly underselling it, but eating the two side by side would be an excellent reminder of why you should pay up for quality.

Not Red Truck, but drooling thinking of the apple hand pies that Jeff Heineman made at Grapeseed.  Damn, I miss him and the great food he made.