Grapeseed, Cordell Avenue in Bethesda - Chef Jeff Heineman's Cafe and Wine Bar - Closed Jul 29, 2017 after 17 Years

Last out the door, first to post. The DR event here tonight was great. I was especially a fan of all things vegetable. The fried green tomato on the tomato appetizer plate was my favorite bite of the night. I'll let others get into the details; I'm off to find fatback for lardo. Thanks to chef and to Goodeats for arranging all of this, and nice to meet some posters.

I think I'm going to remember those awesome smashed potatoes that were served with the steak above anything else. It was very nice meeting so many of you for the first time, and Goodeats, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to organize this great event. You are awesome!

Dan

Just a quick note as the thunder rolls in this morning to say thank you to GoodEats for organizing a very fun farm dinner at Grapeseed. I forgot my menu, or perhaps it was turned into one of the many paper airplanes that sailed from one end of the table to the other over the course of the evening. I do think paper airplane races should be an activity at the fall picnic.

My favorite dish of the evening was dessert. As much as a sweets person as I am, I tend to prefer chocolate dishes for dessert but the blueberries with limoncello was a delicious treat. Raw blueberries were combined with stewed and sauced berries to provide a layer of textures as well as tastes. The limoncello was a nice complement and not too citrusy or sweet to distract from the blueberry goodness.

I don't think anybody would have complained if the tomato appetizer had included a full slice of fried green tomato as it was a perfect example of the southern delight. The potatoes were incredible, and should be a staple on Grapeseed's menu. Similarly, the corn chowder was a delight (though I would have liked more corn, but that's just me... )

Now for some constructive criticism. The portions between patrons ranged drastically. While the size of a soft shell crab is up to Mother Nature, the amount of corn chowder and bacon should have been consistent per plate. Similarly the plating of the flank steak and potatoes differed widely. I had two very small pieces of meat while other guests had more generous portions. Granted, the food was delicious so I would have happily eaten full size portions of each dish. However, my comment really is about consistency.

Again, thanks to GoodEat, dr.com members and the chef/staff at Grapeseed for making the evening so much fun.

Thank you to goodeats for planning great diner. On a night that started with talk of Skeeter and his French maid at the corn stand, then slowly progressed from paper airplanes (and the inability of certain members throw such planes more then 2 feet) to a discussion of how DanielK should be the next national team coach, then to a finish which included a "discussion" of how "juicing" sucks and finally "Scooby snacks" getting behind the bar and buying me a glass of Taylor 30 (bet that guy is not too happy this morning), you could say there were some laughs. Oh, let's not forget the wonderful food and pairings that were served.

Here is a synopsis:

Tomato cocktail- brought good heat and was rich. Really enjoyed it. Some members even got "choked up" over it.

Next were the Tomato Hors d'oeuvres- I thought these were very good and highlighted the tomatoes. Very bruschetta like and a great way to get the taste buds ready for what was to come.

First Course: "Mixed Grill and Fritto Misto of Fresh Summer Veggies. It was paired with an Almyra Chardonnay from Greece. I also really enjoyed this dish and think the Okra was the highlight. It is something I will definetly order again. The only thing that was out of place was the olive oil with balsamic, but it did not matter. The wine perfectly as the acidity worked really well with the dish. Surprisingly, this the second white Greek wine that I have had in two weeks that was really enjoyable.

Second Course: "Softshell Crab, Cloud Nine Chowder and Benton's Bacon". This is a dish that worked for me, but I can understand if other opinions might differ. The smokiness really came through, and while it overpowered the crab, I found it really enjoyable. I actually found myself disappointed when it was all gone (which happened rather quickly). I think that the cream-less chowder balanced out the dish really well. The pairing was an Selbach-Oster Riesling which worked really well with the smokiness of the dish.

Third Course: Piedmont Ridge Farm Beef Hanger Steak, Pecorino New Potatoes and Their Own Chili Sauce. Dare I say this dish was the highlight of the evening. Two of everyone's favorite things were on the dish (i) Holy $#$#% good potatoes/Your servers should be fired if they can't sell these potatoes/double fried potatoes (ii) The much raved about chili sauce. Good lord those were some good potatoes, crispy on the outside but soft and delectable on the inside. The pecorino also made your taste buds scream. You pair the potatoes up with that crazy

tasty chili sauce and you have perfection. Nuff said. This was paired with a Quinta D'Aguieira- Beiras, from Portugal, which in my mind was the best wine of the evening and just work perfectly with the strong flavors of the dish.

Fourth Course: "Fresh Picked Woodbine, MD Blueberries, Three Ways". Tough to follow up on that third course. Like the dish since it was sweet, but not in love with it. The Muscat and the sweetness of the dish did not work well for me. Both individually were tasty, but because after eating the blueberries the Muscat just did not taste the same, I think something with the blueberries does not work with Muscat.

Overall a fantastic evening with great food, good company, laughs and stories. There is so much more, but I cannot type anymore. Plus I am tired from my wonderful commute this morning.

Last night's dinner was fun-I'm just sorry we arrived late, so we missed all the introductions-I think I am forever doomed to know everyone only by their screen name (I didn't want to run around the table, scrutinizing namecards-ETA, I'm Linda & my +1 is Josh).

My favorite element of each course-the fried green tomato (hors d'ouevres), the eggplant & okra (frito mixto), softshell crab & BACON (sorry for the yell, but that was great bacon), the potatoes, spinach & the fantastic chili sauce (beef course). I enjoyed the blueberry dessert, but would have preferred it either chilled or warm, & I couldn't pick out the limoncello, so my favorite part was the little shortbread square.

I enjoyed the tomato cocktail, the Chardonnay, & the Touriga Nacional, but as some of you know, I'm a wine dummy (I prefer beer).

The food was wonderful (I appreciated that the chef came out & revealed a bit of the secrets behind the chili sauce, starting with a peck of tomatoes), the company was exceptional, thank you again, Goodeats, for organizing a lovely dinner...

I think my favorite course had to be the steak course if just for those awesome potatoes. There were plenty of really well executed tasty bites over the course of the evening, but I just get a little thrill from discovering a new way to make such an old ingredient taste so good. And since chef was kind enough to share how he made them, I can now wow my friends and trick them into thinking I am a really fantastic cook. :)

Some of the other highlights for me were the fried green tomato and from the same plate, the gazpacho bruschetta, as well as the chile sauce and the creamed spinach on the steak plate, and a properly cooked medium rare steak.

I also really appreciated the time chef took to explain the dishes and the sources for the ingredients, and really enjoyed chatting with him after the meal (and chef, I will be giving Debbie a scolding this weekend for not pouring you guys the new wines! :( )

I felt really welcome at my first event and want to say thank you to everyone for being so inclusive, and thank you to goodeats for organizing such a great event. I will definitely be signing up for another event in the near future!

Sorry to have been remiss in thanking everyone for coming out. It is always interesting to put a face with a writers "name".

I really enjoyed hearing everyone's thoughts about the food and wine. I work very hard at our farm and I am glad it came through on the plate.

I will remember everyone's critiques and comments as I till up the land this weekend to get some fall crops in the ground, hoping to do it again.

Jeff

Tried out the Happy Hour Wine Tasting (5-7 Fridays, $10) last night at Grapeseed. We had 3 red wines from Italy, an Aglianico, a Chianti, and a Dolcetto, each one accompanied by a bite of food to complement the wine. In this case it was: a lovely slice of barely seared tuna with a wisp of sweetish sauce, a cube of raw cow's milk cheese and a spoonfull of mushroom ragout in a delectable sauce. We did not stay on for dinner but the experience was lovely - speedy, gracious service and nice food and wine pairings. The restaurant wasn't full, but humming pleasantly.

Odd coincidence department: The man overseeing the tasting (Jeff Tams ?) was sitting next to us at the bar at Gallileo III last week, where we chatted with him and got to check out the dishes he was trying before we ordered.

Hi everyone,

Grapeseed will be hosting an IronChef style thingy on Friday night after Thanksgiving (11/26).

It will feature Adam, our outgoing Sous Chef vs Steve, the incoming one. We will be giving them four secret ingredients on Friday morning and they have to come up with courses foreach by dinnertime. Guests will be served both versions of each course and asked to vote on their favorite. the winning chef gets a case of Four Loko (w/caffeine).

After the event we will have a drawing among everyone who voted and a lucky guest will get a Chef's dinner for four, sometime in December. Includes booze, I make up the menu (it's a chef's dinner).

All 8 dishes $65. Ernie will come will come up with wine pairings after we announce the foods and get a look at what Adam and Steve are cooking.

We are only doing this via prepaid tickets, they are transferable, but not refundable. Call us at 301.986.9592. ask for ernie

I figured it would something fun on a holiday Friday.

Jeff

Had the opportunity to enjoy a meal at Grapeseed recently and on the whole enjoyed it thoroughly.

The wine suggestions accompanying the meal were excellent went a long way towards enhancing the overall experience.

On the downside, however, I found that despite several reports/reviews indicating that Grapeseed has a history of undercooking their meat this problem frustratingly persists. Two of the diners at my table ordered the filet mignon "medium-rare". Both arrived very, very blue. Although I don't usually object to a little over, or even a little under the temperature I have requested my meat to be cooked to, there is a substantial difference between a medium-rare steak and a steak that a good vet could have back on it's feet with little effort. The quality of the meat was clearly excellent, and everything else about the meal was of a quality I would expect for the price. Now my dilemma is that if I ever return and order the steak again, should I ask them to cook it "well" (assuming they will undercook it to a perfect medium-rare) or risk getting another raw steak? Yes, I know the offending steaks could have been returned at the time, but it was a celebration dinner and neither party wanted to disturb the flow of the meal by returning their meal or risk the even worse situation of other people feeling like they need to wait for you before they can eat.

It just frustrates me that what is clearly a very good restaurant would make such a rookie error over something like consistency with food temperatures.

Was at Grapeseed last night before going to a play. Didn't have a full meal, but had some really good appetizers.

I really liked the mushroom and polenta appetizer. It had a really nice sauce and was comforting. The vietnamese meatballs were good, they had a nice little salad with them. The calamari was really good, I liked that it wasn't battered and fried. It also wasn't overcooked or really chewy, it was nice.

My mother and her SO also had the scallops, foie gras and chicken livers. All which were good. I also liked that they had a lot of things with no or minimal gluten in them.

My only complaint was perhaps portion size compared to price for some items like the piquillo pepper, which was $10 for one stuffed pepper. That seems pretty steep. The meatballs were $10 for three meatballs and some salad, again when the final bill came, it just seemed steep for the amount of food on the plate, although the food was prepared well. But the drink pours were very generous and it was a nice evening. I would go back, especially to the bar, but it just wasn't a super great value.

I will have a good idea of opening date after our plans get through the "Instant" permitting process in Rockville. It supposedly only takes 10 working days. Go figure

Looking forward to checking out the new place when it opens.

I didn't think to post in the Grapeseed thread since we just stopped by for wine and (unintentional) snacks (unintentional because we came directly from lunch at Redwood, lol), but this seems as good a place as any to mention that if I lived closer I'd be visiting Grapeseed more often. We dropped by during happy hour and ended up having the lobster tempura with a togarashi aioli and a red ppr goat cheese dish off of the happy hour menu (each $5) and the gnocchi off the regular small plate menu. The gnocchi were delicious, but honestly I think the lobster tempura was my favorite. They had me at togarashi regardless, but it was just a satisfying dish, the lobster wasn't overcooked and it was perfectly fried. I could have eaten 3 plates myself and left happy, especially alongside my glass of Cava. Okay, fine, glasses. :) I also had a nice glass of sauvignon blanc off of the happy hour menu (all the wines and cocktails on the hh menu are $5 each as well).

We just got some beautiful Skrei Cod in from Norway. Fantastic fish from above the Artic Circle. It is only available as part of our tasting menu, but I will have it all weekend.

FYI, it's quite tasty. and only occurs when the fish move out to spawn. They are only fished from the waters off one Norweigian Island.

Petter Dass (1647 - 1708) in his prayer to the Lord:

And should You, Lord, foreshorten your hand

and close the Skrei-cod and fish off from Land,

We would then be made destitute.”

It's good enough for poetry.

Just returning from a great meal at the chef's table. The 'chef's table' at the Inn at Little Washington is really just a table in the kitchen--you can't see anything happening or feel as though you get a sense for how decisions are made or food is prepared. You pay extra for, what was for me, a disappointment. At Grapeseed it was a lot of fun--you sit at a bar overlooking the stove and see it all happen (and all for no greater price than somebody sitting at a table!). We didn't bother the chef too much, but it was fun to ask him intermittently about a piece of meat that he had chosen not to serve or something else.

As an appetizer, we shared the mushroom fricasee on polenta--very rich, very good. I ordered it with the recommended wine (whose name totally escapes me, I'll admit), which I was only so so on and wouldn't order again. For drinks, I also ordered the Toeg's Nugget Nectar which was fantastic. Tasted very much as described and just delicious. For dinner I had both the grilled asparagus/goat cheese and the grilled portobello mushrooms on aragula. They were great. The +1 had the filet mignon and subbed in the potatoes with Pecorino instead of the mashed potatpoes with horseradish, because the waitress said that the taters with horseradish were generally fairly mild, which isn't his preference. The filet mignon came out, to my mind, a perfect medium rare. I know previous descriptions have not jibed with this. I think the +1 might have preferred *slightly* more cooked, but it certainly wasn't blue. No complaints on that front. The pecorino taters were delicious. For dessert we shared an order of the butterscotch pudding, which was the only disappointment of the evening. It tasted as though the flour (or cornstarch, not sure what it came from exactly) hadn't been cooked enough. I had that 'raw' flavor that a grain-based dessert like that can have. I had mint tea, which was fine. The +1 had a latte that he said was reasonable, if a bit too milky.

Total cost was ~$134, including liquor, tax, tip, but not valet parking. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would return without hesitation.

My husband and I just had a lovely meal at Grapeseed this evening. We were brought warm bread with a yummy dipping sauce of olive oil and garlic and tomato, followed by our starters of fried oysters for my husband which got high marks, and gnocchi with morels for me. Normally I don't order gnocchi because they're generally heavy and doughy and unforgettable. I took a chance on these because they came with a morel mushroom sauce and they were delicious. The gnocchi were surprisingly light and the morels were wonderful. My husband had scallops next which were beautifully seared and generally perfect and I had rockfish with roasted asparagus and Israeli couscous which couldn't have been better. Our servers were friendly and professional. Gotta say the whole experience was a "10!"

On a related point, Grapeseed next door has a pretty interesing $30 RW dinner menu posted; so much so I made a reservation and haven't been in a couple of years.

I just had this two nights ago (fried oysters, grilled Caesar, skillet-fried chicken) - it's good value for the money, that's for sure. I can't say it's "Grapeseed at its best," but for $30? Sure, why not.

Wait, they can do skillet-fried chicken at Grapeseed, but have to do deep fried next door at Freddy's?

Bummer.

I'm with you on the (big) preference for skillet over deep fried chicken but have to cut them a bit of slack I think. The concepts and kitchens are totally different. Freddy's is a high volume, lower priced spot really focused on lobster and clams. New England seafood shack inspired--just one trying to also appeal some to those who aren't drawn to the core concept (hence the inclusion of fried chicken at all). Grapeseed of course is more sophisticated with a much broader menu. The kitchen at Freddy's isn't set up for higher volume skillet frying (i.e., number of burners, overall space)..Skillet frying chicken in one restaurant and running it to the other would be too impractical and disruptive to both businesses.

Speaking just for myself, I tend to frequent and love Freddys for its core offerings (basically, lobster and clam everything). All the other stuff on their menu is necessary for the market (read: to ensure long term viability) but not usually what I get. Though we did have a decent portuguese steak recently and I was glad to see fresh corn hit the menu. Oh yeah, and the beer and beverage program of course--huge selling point.

I just had this two nights ago (fried oysters, grilled Caesar, skillet-fried chicken) - it's good value for the money, that's for sure. I can't say it's "Grapeseed at its best," but for $30? Sure, why not.

Haven't done RW in a while, but I always thought Grapeseed was one of the few places that does it well. I especially like how they let you order two appetizers instead of dessert.

Wait, they can do skillet-fried chicken at Grapeseed, but have to do deep fried next door at Freddy's?

Bummer.

Haven't done RW in a while, but I always thought Grapeseed was one of the few places that does it well. I especially like how they let you order two appetizers instead of dessert.

I'll write this up when I can get to it, but I'm a couple weeks behind, so ... just as an FYI, Grapeseed's skillet-fried chicken for Restaurant Week is a big, thick, breast (boneless). If you like big, thick breasts (Dan Cole, Al Dente, are you out there?), you'll like this; if not, you may want to try something else.

P.S. They do not accept the Living Social deal for Restaurant Week.

I'll write this up when I can get to it, but I'm a couple weeks behind, so ... just as an FYI, Grapeseed's skillet-fried chicken for Restaurant Week is a big, thick, breast (boneless). If you like big, thick breasts (Dan Cole, Al Dente, are you out there?), you'll like this; if not, you may want to try something else.

P.S. They do not accept the Living Social deal for Restaurant Week.

My Hubby loves big thick breasts of fried chicken, will have to let him know. (Why he married me I have no idea.)

I'm with you on the (big) preference for skillet over deep fried chicken but have to cut them a bit of slack I think.

I'm referring to the Gillian Clark's Fried Chicken on Thursday special they've been doing at Freddy's. Her long-standing recipe is skillet fried, not deep fried, and as much as I've appreciated getting to have her chicken while she's between restaurants, the recipe has not translated well.

Wife and I went to Grapeseed last night. While we eat here relatively frequently, and the food is always good or better, the scallops in lobster sauce and cauliflower, especially paired w/ the Gruner, was truly outstanding. One of the best meals I've had in the DC/Balto area in a very long time. But as the dish is rich, if you don't go with the suggested Gruner (which has a very interesting flavor profile, especially on the under side of your tongue), you'd want a similar 'crisper' white to work against the richness of the food. Wife had the pan fried chicken which was a disappointment; she hoped (incorrectly) that Gillian Clark's influence might have rubbed off... but no, although the breast itself was moist and flavorful.

Birthday dinner with my wife last night. This place rocks and should get more traffic on this board then it does. Business was good for a Tueday night, we were glad to get a booth in the back which was quiet and secluded. Forgot to mention that they have Half off Wine Bottles up under 100 on Tuesdays but since we were using a living social deal we were not eligible to participate. I'll be back as the savings would have been the same and I hope Grapeseed would benefit more in their pocket. Kudos on explaining this to us the moment we were seated so there were no doubts about it.

We had a 2007 Gigonda, fairly priced at 66 . One of my favorite wine regions, they had a ice selection but I would have like to see a see more at this price point. Vacqueryas would be an example. The Giogonda was great and the wine service very nice. Glasses refilled as needed but respecfully with only small and proper pours.

We had Mushroooms fricasse and heirloom tomatoes for appritizers. Both were very nice and light.

I had swordfish for my wine while my wife had short ribs. Both were executed perfectly.

We shared a lemon merrange desert, prepared with blood orage essence. A bit different but I scraped the plate clean..No complaints.

In Summary, Grapeseed does a very good job. I hadnt been there in a while and will have to make sure I get back sooner.

Okay, Let's see if anybody actually reads this and/or cares about dining out this week. Here is our tasting menu for the week with a DR.com special at the bottom. We will run this menu on Friday and Saturday only.

Mushroom Wonderland Menu

Amuse Bouche

Grilled Portobello Mushroom, Arugula, Prosciutto-Truffle Vinaigrette

Sauteed Pompano, Lobster Mushrooms, Maine Lobster Cream

Grilled Australian Lamb Chops, Chanterelles, Malbec Reduction

Homemade Pumpkin Ice Cream, Dulce de Leche, Oatmeal Cookies

We have wine pairings for this, of course.

It is $55.

If you mention that you heard about it on Donrockwell.com I will only charge $30. Sounds like a deal.

Free upgrade from Tastes of wine to Glasses as well.

reservations are at 301.986.9592.

if the is interest I will run a DR.com special each week

I'd been looking for an excuse to visit Grapeseed and this special tasting menu offered a perfect reason. Since I have no friends I made a reservation for 1 at 6:30 on a Friday night, about an hour before things started to get hectic. Service was prompt and attentive, no complaints there.

The amuse bouche was grilled shrimp on some chilled noodles. This was good; shrimp had a good smoky salty flavor. Although I think I was supposed to eat everything in one bite, it was a little unbalanced otherwise. 4/5.

Next was grilled portobello with a small arugula salad. This was excellent. Just the right amount of seasoning to bring out the flavors of the arugula and the mushroom. Nothing overpowering, balanced just right. 4/5.

Then came the sauteed pompano with lobster mushrooms and lobster cream sauce. This was actually the highlight of the meal for me. The pompano was perfect: flaky, tender, with a crunchy salty crust. I thought the mushrooms were a little mealy but they did a good job of soaking up the sauce. Just a great balance of flavors. 4/5. As a side note, I'm by no means a wine connoisseur (more of a beer fan and was tempted to order the Allagash Black but decided three glasses of wine would be enough for me) but the pairing for this dish, the Jean-Paul Paquet Pouilly Fuisse, was exceptional. Bright and tart.

Next was grilled lamb chops with chanterelle mushrooms. This seemed kind of average to me. The mushrooms didn't really add much. The lamb chops were fatty and prepared well, but not memorable. 3/5.

For desert I had pumpkin ice cream with oatmeal cookies. The ice cream had a decent pumpkin flavor and the cookies followed the ubiquitous trend of adding salt to sweet things. But after three glasses of wine I can't really remember much.

Overall the meal was great and I'm eager to return to try more.

I have photos here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151166908804655&set=a.10150686072999655.414670.775279654&type=1&theater

By somewhat popular demand we will do this again this weekend. Again, please mention you want the DonRockwell.com discount when you make your reservation, so we can keep track. Just for mentioning we will do this weeks Tasting Menu for $30 instead of $55. Glasses of paired wines would be $16 instead of $32. The menu is really not for vegetarians this week. I will be doing an All-Vegetable menu next week, with the same deal.

Here's the menu:

Air, Earth and Sea Menu

Friday, September 28th & Saturday, September 29th

To participate in the tasting menu all members of your party must order the tasting menu.

Thank You and Enjoy!!

Amuse Bouche

Grilled Head-on Prawns, Stone-Ground Grits, Smoked Tomatoes, Tasso Cream

wine-Thomas Labaille l’Authentique Sancerre-Chavagnol, Loire Valley, France

Duck Confit, Cabrales, Frisee, Granny Smith Apple

wine- Elena Walch Gewurztraminer-Alto Adige, Italy

Slow-Roasted Pork, Goat Cheese, Honey Mushrooms, Garlicky Crouton

wine-Chemin de Rêves Saltimbanque-l’Hérault, France (Carignan)

“Bitter & Twisted” Ice Cream, Chocolate Chunk Cookies

$55 $30

Wine Pairings Three Tastes $ 16 Three Glasses $ 32. $16

Call for reservations 301-986-9592 Please mention the donrockwell affiliation when making reservation and when you arrive

Just back from Grapeseed and I have to say, that was a really nice meal and what a bah-gin [scroll up two posts for the details]. The prawns were the stand out but everything was very tasty and the wine pairings (slightly different from what is noted above) were perfect for each course. The only minor complaint is that even for one like me who likes bleu cheese, the cheese with the duck was a tad intense. To anyone considering this deal, go if you can. You won't regret it.

[i also want to add that I had no idea about this dinner until Jeff posted about it this morning, and there is zero money in it for either me or the website. None. Nada. This "vehicle" is available, absolutely for free, to each and every restaurateur in the DC area who has half a brain.

What Jeff did by offering this dinner is called "being smart."

So, restaurateurs, chefs, GMs ... how are your PR Reps treating you these days? Are they taking advantage of things such as this? If not, maybe you should ask them, "Why not?"

Am I going to Tweet about things such as this? Damned right I am. It's a Win-Win-Win for restaurant-website-member.

Think about it ...]

It has been a fun and successful experience offering these deals to the dr.com community. It is quite fun to meet and chat with some members whom I hadn't met previously. A fantastic way to get feedback.

This deal will be offered next weekend as well. We will be upping the ante somewhat by doing a meatless menu. My vegetarian friends have always made a lot of noise regarding how many their numbers are, and how they want more choices etc etc etc. So we will see how this works out and I will offer up the numbers when the dust settles. I will be finishing up the menu in a day of so and will get it up right away. (meatless, not vegan. Baby steps, please)

I am looking forward to supporting this community further, and meeting some new friends.

We can't all afford to zip off to Oregon at the drop of a hat...

I feel sorry for you. :lol:

Was excited to see it wasn't a one time thing, although I will be out of town again this weekend (just Dewey Beach, I swear :P). How about next weekend, to counterbalance all those animals you spared you do a meat heavy menu? ;)

Okay here it is: The Tasting Menu this week is a Meatless affair. Not vegan or anywhere near it, but I hope it satisfies people looking for vegetarian fare that isn't just pasta primavera and mushroom risotto. I have added a course this week as well. So it is 5 courses for $55 to the general public, and again mention this DonRockwell connection, and it will be $30. Wines are being finalized and they will be half price for you as well.

menu:

Amuse

Shishito peppers, sea salt

First course - Canapes

Bruschetta, Truffled Pecorino, Apricot-Almond Agrodolce

Radishes, Homemade Cultured Butter, Fleur de Sel Guérande

Chick Pea Fries with Herbs, Pistachio Aillade

Second course

Spicy grilled Broccoli, Tangerine Aioli, Pine Nuts

Third course

Roast Spiced Pumpkin, Vadouvan-Cashew Cream, Brussels

Fourth course

Cauliflower cooked a la Polenta, Cauliflower “Sicilian Lifeguard Style” with Fregola, Diakon Sprouts, Homemade Mustard Ricotta

Dessert Course

Dancing Thunder Apiary Lavender Lemon Verbena Ice Cream, Cookies, Honey

Reservations are at 301.986.9592. please don't forget to mention you DR.com affiliation

See you this Friday and Saturday

I wrote this the other night, then deleted it the next morning, not because of the content, but because the writing is so terrible (the reason I don't post more isn't because I have nothing to say - I have lots to say (I've recently been to Northside Social, Screwtop Wine Bar, District Taco, and Uncle Liu's Hot Pot - and that's in less than 48 hours); it's because the effort of writing to my own standards is so taxing that I can't do it very often).

But you know what? People need to read this, so here it is.

---

Finally my schedule shakes out right. I'll be there on Saturday.

Daniel, the best way to show support for Jeff and the wonderful meals he's thrown for us is to Tweet, Facebook, and tell your friends. These prices are just plain nuts! Maybe I'll be there this weekend with Matt.

Both Jeff and Grapeseed deserve maximum PR, and they aren't getting any. That kills me, absolutely breaks my heart because people remain unaware of the most deserving deals in town, despite the dozens and hundreds of articles written about buzzy restaurants and celebrity chefs each week. Why? Why?! WHY is this not "restaurant news," Eater DC? Because we're not paying you? Where are the articles, chatters and bloggers? We support you; hell, we have an entire forum dedicated to you. Not one single time has anyone ever written me and asked for a favor, only to be declined. I've never declined anything for anyone who has asked me to do something to help them. It's not right, it's just not right. All because people are afraid to leave their petty little cliques, fraternities, and sororities. For God's sake, I've been supporting all of you for years. How about a little return courtesy once in awhile, especially when someone *other than me* is the one who stands to profit from it? I repeat: There Is Zero Money Coming In To Me Personally or To This Website. Zero!

I support events like these for the same reason I made a donation to WPFW tonight: to support local artists and to provide the consumer with a enjoyable experience to help make their lives a little happier.

It is in the diners' best interest to know about events such as this, and there's only so much I can do without sounding like a pompous ass.

THIRTY DOLLARS for THIS MENU on the most popular two nights of the week?

Amuse

Shishito peppers, sea salt

First course - Canapes

Bruschetta, Truffled Pecorino, Apricot-Almond Agrodolce

Radishes, Homemade Cultured Butter, Fleur de Sel Guérande

Chick Pea Fries with Herbs, Pistachio Aillade

Second course

Spicy grilled Broccoli, Tangerine Aioli, Pine Nuts

Third course

Roast Spiced Pumpkin, Vadouvan-Cashew Cream, Brussels

Fourth course

Cauliflower cooked a la Polenta, Cauliflower “Sicilian Lifeguard Style” with Fregola, Diakon Sprouts, Homemade Mustard Ricotta

Dessert Course

Dancing Thunder Apiary Lavender Lemon Verbena Ice Cream, Cookies, Honey

WAKE. THE FUCK. UP.