Grapeseed, Cordell Avenue in Bethesda - Chef Jeff Heineman's Cafe and Wine Bar - Closed Jul 29, 2017 after 17 Years

Jeff

Any specials this weekend. The stars have aligned for me.

yep, usual $30 deal. You can have it alone at the bar, I would recommend making a reservation since we order for these menus based mostly upon resos, I wouldn't want to run out, it happens, ask Don.

here's the menu:

Amuse

Sword Paillard Picatta, Orzo, Grapefruit

Pork Schnitzel, Bacon, Marinated Tomato, Maple Beurre Blanc

Beef Milanese, Mushroom Duxelles, Foie Gras Sauce

Pineapple scalopini, ginger –rum sauce, key lime ice cream

Wine pairings are 1/2 price too. Please make resos. 301.986.9592

I would recommend making a reservation since we order for these menus based mostly upon resos, I wouldn't want to run out, it happens, ask Don.

The good news being that you made a fortune off a single two-top that evening. :(

Anyone who thinks I lack ethics can call Jeff Heineman as a reference.

Took advantage of this again tonight for my Mom's birthday. Thanks Jeff, she loved it, we all did. I'm going to have to stop saying "I'm not much of a fish guy" because the fish dishes I've had there the last few weeks have been outstanding but I think the sword picatta is my favorite. At this point I feel like I am stealing.

Took advantage of this and some great wine pours on Saturday night. Grapeseed is firing on all burners and should be on everyones short list for the top places in Bethesda. Eating alone the abr was empty when I arrived at 730 but was full when I left at 9ish. The food was tasty, well prepared and very much complimented by the paired wines.

I need to go more often

We were also there Saturday night and had yet another great meal. I think our favorite was the seared swordfish - tender, flavorful, and the grapefruit added a delicious little bite of acid and coutner-flavor. But the pork schnitzel and beef milanese were terrific as well. The desert waa a wild blend of flavors (pineapple, ginger, rum, and key lime). I was a little skeptical, but it worked fabulously. Great wine pairing as well, as usual.

Would everyone please, please, please get people who are NOT on donrockwell.com to get onboard with this?

This is the only way the website will ever grow, and it's the only way that Grapeseed will ever profit from this.

I don't ask much from people, but I'm asking everyone who reads this post to recruit one new person to join donrockwell.com, and to be informed of the Grapeseed dinner special.

Nothing in the world is free, but both donrockwell.com and these Grapeseed dinners come about as close as you can get, and we've GOT to get something in return, or one day it will all be gone.

Please? Do it right now, as your next click?

Would everyone please, please, please get people who are NOT on donrockwell.com to get onboard with this?

This is the only way the website will ever grow, and it's the only way that Grapeseed will ever profit from this.

I don't ask much from people, but I'm asking everyone who reads this post to recruit one new person to join donrockwell.com, and to be informed of the Grapeseed dinner special.

Nothing in the world is free, but both donrockwell.com and these Grapeseed dinners come about as close as you can get, and we've GOT to get something in return, or one day it will all be gone.

I'd go one further. While they make for good publicity, I would imagine that Grapeseed earns very little money on these DR dinners. So if you enjoy the bargain meals, go in on a different night too on occasion, and get a full priced meal.

I wrote this 36 hours ago. Just out of curiosity, who has done what?

Are folks here actually listening to my pleas, or are they just ignoring things? I need to know in order to develop a plan moving forward.

If anyone has recruited another person to join dr.com, could you chime in here, please?

Are folks here actually listening to my pleas, or are they just ignoring things? I need to know in order to develop a plan moving forward.

If anyone has recruited another person to join dr.com, could you chime in here, please?

I did, and she should be signing up any day now....

Also, I just saw my first-ever "Groupon Reserve" and it's for Grapeseed -- 3 course Bistro Dinner and Wine for Two -- $85. I think I would prefer the DR.com affiliation, nonetheless....

I have spammed the shit out of everyone I know. I don't know if anyone has joined.

Also, I just saw my first-ever "Groupon Reserve" and it's for Grapeseed -- 3 course Bistro Dinner and Wine for Two -- $85. I think I would prefer the DR.com affiliation, nonetheless....

yeah that deal is not as good as the one here AND groupon gets half of it.

Here's your good deal for the week:

A (S)Mashing Good Tasting Menu

An Amuse Bouche of something Smashed

Herb Crusted Norwegian Cod, Cauliflower-Horseradish Mash

Crispy Smashed Yucca, Florida Red Shrimp, Chorizo Oil

Pepper Crusted Beef Tenderloin, Robuchon Potatoes, Crisp Shallots

Caramelized Smashed Banana Tart, Peanut Butter, Nilla Wafer

As usual it'll be $30 upon mentioning your DR.com affiliation. Our wine pairings will be 1/2 price as well. Please do mention your DonRockwellness when reserving, it helps us to order properly.

BTW- thanks for all the kind words of late. It makes me happy top do this stuff and have it be appreciated. It is always fun to do, it wouldn't be so fun to prep up and have no one buy it.

Also, Groupon doesn't get 50% anymore (unless you are a complete rube) Google being in the Daily Deals marketplace has really made the deals much better for merchants. I guess because google doesn't really need my little bit of money, but they love the exposure/impressions. They still take too much, but traffic is always nice.

Also, Groupon doesn't get 50% anymore (unless you are a complete rube) Google being in the Daily Deals marketplace has really made the deals much better for merchants. I guess because google doesn't really need my little bit of money, but they love the exposure/impressions. They still take too much, but traffic is always nice.

What's a better deal for you, donrockwell.com or Groupon.com?

I ask that question honestly not knowing the answer.

It might be the latter since they could bring you completely new customers.

Should we lessen the cut we take, Jeff? I'm worried that we've been abusive. Folks, what do you think?

I have been vacant from DR for some time now and I am regretting not reading about these deals. AMAZING! Not sure I can try it out this week, but if this happens again next week, and after and after and after, I am so going to be there. My wife can just metro up to meet me at my office and we'll walk over. Still kicking myself for not knowing about this.GAH!

One of the best things about dining out is trying food you think you hate and discovering that you don't. I'll eat almost any vegetable, but not cauliflower, and I love spicy food but can't stand the taste of horseradish, so I was reluctant to even taste the mash under the Norwegian cod. But I did, and it was delicious. Just enough horseradish to provide a little kick, and the cauliflower was pureed to a polenta-like texture. There was also an intense mushroom cream. Everything worked together to complement the perfectly cooked piece of panko crusted fish. Thanks, Jeff.

We will be dealin for the last time in 2012. The Merry Christmas edition will feature Breakfast for dinner stuff, which has nothing to do with the holidays but, it's the theme. As usual if you mention DR.com when you make the reservation it will be $30 instead of $55. Paired wines will be 1/2 price , too.

Amuse Bouche (lobster scrambled eggs, yum)

Buckwheat Crepes, Smoked Salmon, Caviar

Oat Crusted Golden Tile, Spiced Fruit Mostarda

Buttermilk Biscuit, Duck Confit Hash, Quail Egg

Cereal Ice Cream, Milk Cookies

We will be dealin for the last time in 2012. The Merry Christmas edition will feature Breakfast for dinner stuff, which has nothing to do with the holidays but, it's the theme. As usual if you mention DR.com when you make the reservation it will be $30 instead of $55. Paired wines will be 1/2 price , too.

Amuse Bouche (lobster scrambled eggs, yum)

Buckwheat Crepes, Smoked Salmon, Caviar

Oat Crusted Golden Tile, Spiced Fruit Mostarda

Buttermilk Biscuit, Duck Confit Hash, Quail Egg

Cereal Ice Cream, Milk Cookies

Golden Tile*fish* or Golden Tile like a waffle?

Had a big work dinner here the other night in the wine room. Had the short ribs which were good (the cabbage underneath stole the show though). But the cornmeal crusted fried oysters with that bit of heat on them as one of the starters? Wow - I could have eaten a dozen of those. Really good.

Went for the Friday night DR special. An amazing value on some excellent food! All the dishes were enjoyable but the stand-out for me was the Duck Confit Hash. A delicious mix of flavors and textures.

Thanks Jeff. It was an excellent way to kick off the holiday weekend.

Went for the Friday night DR special. An amazing value on some excellent food! All the dishes were enjoyable but the stand-out for me was the Duck Confit Hash. A delicious mix of flavors and textures.

Thanks Jeff. It was an excellent way to kick off the holiday weekend.

I enjoyed the menu on the 21st as well. A great value for the meal. As a side note, I thought the wines chosen to pair up with the menu were kind of meh. Next time I think I'll just order off the list (they have some good values there).

After a one week hiatus we will be bringing back both our tasting menu option this week, and the DR.com special. $30 for people from here, normally $55. Lots of Lobster this week. Please mention the menu when you reserve because i do have a finite number of portions of this menu. 301.986.9592

Amuse Bouche

Lobster and Arugula Salad, Tangerine Aioli

Lobster Risotto, White Truffle Oil

Cotecchino Spiced Grilled Lobster, Grilled Broccolini, Lentils de Puy

Fudge Brownie, Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream, Graham Cracker Sauce.

By the way, although we would rather do this menu for the entire party, we can (not too begrudgingly) do this menu for some of your party and a la carte for others. We can figure out the timing. I think restaurants tend to make too big a deal out of the "whole table must get this menu" stuff. So, if some of your party don't want lots of lobster for $30, you can still come in.

Jeff

• Like 2

The DR.com tasting Menu Discount is "on like Donkey Kong" as my kid says. $30 for you all, please mention you will be menuing when you reserve, it helps for ordering. Paired Wines are 1/2 price, too, for DR folks: 301.986.9592

Amuse bouche

Crunchy Royal Red Florida Shrimp, Chipotle aioli, Jicama Salad

Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Nduja Sausage, Smashed Yukons

Coq au Vin Shepherd’s Pie

Cherry, Dark Chocolate & Pistachio Ice Cream, Pistachio Cookie.

For what it is worth: we have wifi, just ask for the password.

Free food at the bar this Friday is a wee bite of Fish and Chips. (I give away free food every Friday, if anyone cares)

---

Tweeters, this is Don Rockwell. Get off your asses and reserve this ridiculous bargain! Call and mention the DonRockwell special when you reserve. Yes, in addition to these 5 courses (okay, 4 courses plus amuse-bouche), you'll also get half-price wine.

Hello? Is anyone home? Call it ... sanity. Call it ... competition. Call it ... a fucking amazing bargain for you, with NOTHING in it for me.

You're CRAZY not to take advantage of this offer. Do it! Do it, man, do it!

Cheers,

Rocks

Edited by DonRocks
  • Like 1

We've got a new tasting menu for this week and the DR.com special is on but we will only be doing this menu on Friday this week, since we have Inauguration parties on Saturday and Sunday. So it is $30 and paired wines are half price. It is pretty tasty this week please join us. 301.986.9592 for resos.

Amuse Bouche

Smoked Trout Tartare, Sticky Rice, Grapes, Salmon Roe

Black Pepper Crab Toast, Oyster Sauce, Lime

Short Rib Lancashire Hot Pot

Gascogne- style Apple Croustade, Walnut Ice Cream

See you Friday, i hope

there will be no DR.com special menu this weekend or next since we are doing Restaurant Week until Feb 2nd, and the whole menu is on sale to everyone. We have added some stuff to the lunch menu for RW and beyond.

I will be giving out samples of on of these new things at Happy Hour tonight. Our version of Indiana's Pork Cutlet Sandwich.

So wait out what will probably be a horsesh*t rush hour and have some wine or beer , A free slice of pork on a bun and maybe stay for a $33 dinner.

Jeff

Well after quite an extended hiatus we have dusted off our Tasting Menus again. We had to break for Restaurant Weeks and Valentines Weeks and Invasive Surgery weeks and other sundry things, but we are on once again. We will also do the DR.com special again. Instead of the dinner being $55 without wine it will be $30 (that's like $25 off. Wine pairings are 1/2 price either by the taste or the glass. it is a good deal. please mention you will be doing the tasting menu when you reserve, 301.986.9592, since we need a clear idea in order to purchase for this menu.

lot's of fish for lent this week

Amuse Bouche

Spicy Tuna Tataki,Wasabi, Wakame

Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut Rose – North Coast

Mache Salad,Cucumber, Salmon Roe, Greek Yogurt Vinaigrette

Captûre Tradition – Lake & Sonoma Counties, California (Sauvignon Blanc)

American Red Snapper, Grilled Peashoots, Cashew Picada, Orange-Saffron Emulsion

Jean-Paul Paquet – Pouilly-Fuisse, Burgundy, France (Chardonnay)

Dessert Duo - Chocolate Cremeaux & Greek Yogurt Cheesecake

$55 for the food

Wine Pairings Available

Three Tastes $20.50

Three Glasses $41.00

• Like 1

Well after quite an extended hiatus we have dusted off our Tasting Menus again. We had to break for Restaurant Weeks and Valentines Weeks and Invasive Surgery weeks and other sundry things, but we are on once again.

I'm very glad you're feeling better, Jeff. These dinners are wonderful, but your health is what we really care about. Please take care of yourself.

Cheers,

Rocks

Jen, I just put in the menu that we serve an Amuse, we always have, I just didn't list it.

Don, I am feeling a magnitude (that's 10x, per your other post :) ) better, than with the last surgery, I have more stringent restrictions right now, but more hopeful

It's actually "an order of magnitude," but all that matters is that you're not hurting as much. Now, if we could do something about your face.

• Like 1

Big picture reaction and weeds-level question.

Big pic: Jeff, I too am very glad to hear you're on the upswing. Huge news of the 'most important' variety.

Question: and probably a dumb one but I haven't taken advantage of these special menus before. Is it for this weekend? The coming week? March? Was going to try and book for this weekend but then realized maybe not the right days since you're ordering in response to demand and this may be to bring in more business on week days?

Thank you and be well!

It is for tonight and tomorrow night. We will do a new menu for next Friday and Saturday.

We had some problems in the past accommodating walklins on Saturday night for these menus because we order on Friday night for Saturday based on how many have reserved plus 20%. Fridays are usually less of a problem since we do prep most stuff to try and cover Friday and Saturday, Saturday's fish delivery has to be based on something to not have much left over. And yes, Saturday and Monday's family meal is usually quite good because of this.

ETA - I have a good feeling about my revision surgery, and I have a first class scar. Chris Cunningham thinks my leg looks like a hoagie.

After a nearby event, we hit up Grapeseed as dr.com dinner deal first-timers tonight. I can now share my own experience that This is a Freakin' Amazing Deal!

I'm not sure how this menu compares to previous Grapeseed tasting menu offerings but can make a few general comments that may apply across most. First, this is a generous amount of food that doesn't leave one hungry. I wasn't sure going in since I've had different experiences in that regard with affordably-priced tasting menus with fewer than six courses. Second, excellent ingredients really composed well to result in interesting, fun and very flavorful dishes. We enjoyed all of them. Third, if you or someone in your party is gluten intolerant or sensitive, this is a good menu there as well.

Dish by dish for tonight:

- Amuse Bouche

This was excellent! And, with a SO who isn't a big fan of cilantro, I had Deux Amuse Bouche. Red shrimp from...darn, forgetting the provenance which we were told, which makes me think these were wild...small shrimp in maybe a bit of olive oil, cilantro, and some pretty serious heat (maybe more than intended but worked well for me) in the form of red chili. Loved this. It could have been bigger shrimp for a starter portion and I'd have loved that too.

- Spicy Tuna Tatake (why isn't it 'Tataki'?, he wonders), Wasabi, Wakame

While spicy, the heat level on this was actually much tamer than the amuse. Tuna was fresh and nicely seasoned and seared. Likwise, we enjoyed the wakame (seaweed), which was very similar to the version in most local Japanese restaurants. And, you have to love that Jeff chose a dish inspired by "...a 19th century rebel Samurai." Of course he did.

- Mache Salad, Cucumber, Salmon Roe, Greek Yogurt Vinaigrette

The cucumber/salmon roe was formed like a maki. All in all a fine dish with the minor nit that the mache was a bit stemmy so maybe even better with a leafier green mixed in. Still, enjoyed this quite a bit.

- American Red Snapper, Grilled Peashoots, Cashew Picada, Orange-Saffron Emulsion

Yup, big thumbs up here. More helpfully (perhaps), nice sized piece of salmon and, given that it was here at Grapeseed, I'm guessing it more probable it really was snapper*. The peashoots easily won the prize for best green of the dinner (in close contest but beating out the wakame and mache by a nose); really tasty and lots of 'em. I would have sworn the cashew treatment was panko and, for that reason, love that it was cashew. Great flavor and crunch. The fish itself had a very nice and firm crust from searing.

- Dessert Duo - Chocolate Cremeaux & Greek Yogurt Cheesecake

I liked the cremeaux better than the cheesecake but finished both happily. I've had a cremeaux explained to me in the past as somewhere between a chocolate sauce and mousse but not exactly either. More like a mousse (or pudding) that at all resembling a sauce, this was a quenelle set upon some chocolate crunchy somethings--delicious and rich. The "cheesecake" was of a similar consistency, also in a quenelle.

We didn't do the wine pairing (too much wine last night at Dino!) but I had a glass of Left Coast Pinot from Oregon for $10 and got an order of the fried oysters since I've enjoyed Grapeseed's version in the past.

Service was excellent. Our two waitresses (one was training but experienced) did a fantastic job serving, accommodating requests with such genuine friendliness and warmth.

An experience of great fun. We felt very welcome and enjoyed an utterly satisfying meal. And, at $30 for the five tasting menu courses we enjoyed, the value borders on ridiculous. Easy to spend that on two courses...at lunchtime...in many restaurants set in venues like Grapeseed's. Thanks Grapeseed, for everything at dinner tonight. And thanks Jeff for offering this kind of value to the DR community.

• Like 2

Taking advantage of the snow to catch up on a few recent meals at Grapeseed -- We agree with darkstar965 on the tasting menu last weekend. It was great, as usual. In particular, the tuna tataki was one of the absolute best tuna dishes we've ever had. Just delicious. We enjoyed the Mache Salad very much, as well. The desert duo was terrific - the Greek Yogurt Cheesecake was unusual and very tasty, as was the Chocolate Cremeaux. As everyone has said, the tasting menu is one of the best bargains in town and should not be missed.

In addition, we've been "on menu" several recent times. To start, I must say that I could easily order the fried chicken livers for both my appetizer and main course. And maybe a third for good measure. They're that good. The scallops, and every fish dish we've tried, have been superb. My wife would happily eat the braised beef short ribs at least once a week. And the filet mignon has never missed. Raves also for the Korean BBQ beef tips.

I should add that the service has always been just top notch and very friendly.

Taking advantage of the snow to catch up on a few recent meals at Grapeseed -- We agree with darkstar965 on the tasting menu last weekend. It was great, as usual. ...

I should add that the service has always been just top notch and very friendly.

This is a great point. The wonderful food aside, two months from now, I'll remember the service more. That's partly because I'll have been back to Grapeseed and Freddy's by then so dishes will blur but also because it really stood out. I'm very much on record as a 'food first' kind of person. Meaning, I'll go back to places with shoddy service without hesitation if they have great food and at least decent value. At the same time, I do of course appreciate good service and the service we had at Grapeseed a few nights ago was pretty outstanding. One server was new and training behind the main server. But that trainee was experienced and she was proactive, helping ensure a great experience while training. They both were just incredibly nice, empathetic, low key, efficient and effective. Usually, when that kind of service is a hallmark of a place (a pattern, if you will), it's due to one thing: the leadership. Big kudos to Jeff, Josh and the other managers there. Of course there will be some misses, off nights (impossible customers!) or whatever but, as a general rule, the service here is different. It's better. And that's a good thing.

Thanks for the kind words above. I'd like to point out that I am NOT related to jaltman, as far as I know. We have a lot of people who work hard at Grapeseed and they care, for the restaurant and our guests. I am very lucky.

Two of them, Jason and Steve, wrote this week's Tasting Menu, (last week's too BTW)

The usual deal will apply, $25 off for DR.com members, half price wine pairings. please mention that you are DR.com and doing the menu when you reserve.

301-986-9592

Amuse Bouche

Scallop & Shrimp Ceviche

Granbazan – Rias Baixs, Spain (Alariño)

Chioggia Beet Salad Cherry Glen Farm Goat Cheese, Baby Greens

Left Coast Cellars Cali’s Cuvee – Willamette, Oregon (Pinot Noir)

Grilled Lobster Truffled Mac & Cheese, Pimenton De La Vera

Hartford Court – Russian River Valley, California (Chardonnay)

Housemade Ice Cream, Sugar Cookie

Also, I just wrote a menu for a Seifried wine dinner we are doing next Thursday. They are some really nice wines from New Zealand. I will not post the menu here so there is no confusion, so PM me, and i will send you the menu. It is a steel for $55 you get 6 wines and 4 courses of food. I think we only have 6 spaces left. Someone from the winery is treating it like a class so there will be a lot going on.

Again PM me if you want the menu.

Jeff