spaztic1215

Yang's, Pop-Up at Impala Cantina Y Taqueria (Formerly Tacos Impala), 13th and H Streets, Atlas District

7 months later and even living in a different neighborhood, we still love to go to Impala for dinner and drinks.  A word of advice - if you go Tuesday through Saturday, sit at the bar where Anselmo is working.  He is awesome - friendly, funny, attentive - everything a great bartender should be.  They have recently changed their chips and salsa - the new chips are amazing (though probably worse for you), and the salsa is more pico de gallo style, which makes me happy and hubby sad (he prefers a smokier salsa).  I always order a Paloma, which for me highlights the tequila and is more balanced than a margarita.  This past Wednesday, I tried the fish tacos for the first time, and they were so very delicious - they come with a spicy habanero slaw, and the fish is really perfectly cooked.  The enchiladas and beans and rice continue to be top-notch as well.  Still definitely worth the trip!

• Like 3

What are the crowds like? I have a show at the Atlas tonight at 7:30. If I try to walk in at 6 tonight, will I be able to get a table? Or should I do something like Granville's where I can make a reservation?

What are the crowds like? I have a show at the Atlas tonight at 7:30. If I try to walk in at 6 tonight, will I be able to get a table? Or should I do something like Granville's where I can make a reservation?

I can't imagine you'd have any trouble at 6, but to be honest, we don't usually go on weekends, so I don't have any real evidence to back that up.  I don't know if they even take reservations - maybe give them a buzz and see what they say?

The only time we ever had to wait (for a table OR a seat at the bar) was brunch, way back when the weather was nicer and folks wanted to sit outside.

Unfortunately, after two recent visits, I can't recommend Impala anymore.  I don't think Anselmo works there any longer, and service at the bar seems to range from passable to terrible.  But perhaps most disappointingly, the food just doesn't seem to have the same care and love behind it as it once did.  The tortillas for the tacos are still the best in town, but the fillings - and we've had everything from lengua to pork belly to chicken to carne asada - are very "meh" in terms of flavor and seasoning.  It's a real shame, but I guess I'm on the hunt for a new go-to Tex-Mex joint...

• Like 2

Sadly, I have to agree with Bettyjoan. The last 2 or 3 times we've been have had either subpar food, service, or both. This place has so much potential, but just doesn't seem focused on trying to meet it.

We hadn't been to Impala in a few months, but finally made it back last night (in part because it was a 90 minute wait for Maketto). It was disappointing. Service at the bar was good, and the tortillas remain fantastic (and you can watch them being made in front of you). The lengua was completely flavorless, as were the rice and beans. The guacamole needed some kind of punch, as it was basically just like eating pieces of avocado on chips (literally, as it wasn't close to fully mashed). This is really too bad, because I really liked this place, and we need good Mexican food in DC. 

Per Washingtonian, Erik Bruner Yang is opening Yang's, a hot pot and taco concept, in the old Impala Cantina location on H Street. It opens tomorrow, December 7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, Pat said:

Per Washingtonian, Erik Bruner Yang is opening Yang's, a hot pot and taco concept, in the old Impala Cantina location on H Street. It opens tomorrow, December 7.

Does anyone know when Impala Cantina closed? I can't find anything about it on the internet, and their website is still up, but they haven't Tweeted since Jun, 2017.

45 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Does anyone know when Impala Cantina closed? I can't find anything about it on the internet, and their website is still up, but they haven't Tweeted since Jun, 2017.

The way that article is written, it sounds like Bruner-Yang is a partner in Impala and they're trying the new concept out there for the winter:

The idea came about because Bruner-Yang and Impala business partner Troy Hickman wanted to do something different for winter—the chef says if the neighborhood likes the concept, they’ll keep it going.

Perhaps the website is still up because the old concept might be brought back?

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I don't think that they actually did close before the hot pot/taco pop-up came into play. A theme change that may keep going

1 hour ago, Kev29 said:

I don't think that they actually did close before the hot pot/taco pop-up came into play. A theme change that may keep going

Pat and/or Kev, could you fill in the blank so I can understand?

1358 H St NE is _____________.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Pat and/or Kev, could you fill in the blank so I can understand?

1358 H St NE is _____________.

Yang’s at Impala Taqueria Y Cantina (?)

11 hours ago, Kev29 said:

Yang’s at Impala Taqueria Y Cantina (?)

Sounds about right. Maybe add the word "pop-up" in there somewhere.

Don, also note that the chef for Yang's is James Wozniuk.

10 hours ago, Pat said:

Don, also note that the chef for Yang's is James Wozniuk.

@DonRocks James Wozniuk is NOT the chef at Yangs Hot Pot.  He is only at Maketto.  I reached out to James to ask for myself when the announcement was posted on December 7, 2018.