Dining in Alexandria

On 1/17/2018 at 6:42 PM, JimCo said:

I think Don is right that the best is Nasime but you can't get it a la carte.

Nasime is NOT and never will be a "sushi place".  Sashimi? Yes.  Sushi?  NOPE! (and never let the chef hear you say Nasime is a "sushi place". )

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

So reading this thread I am a little trepadatious (my spell check says this isn't a word, is this really not a word?) of what my new dining scene will be once we move to Potomac Yard.  I work in OT and know the dining scene here, and am happy to pick up some Vietnamese or Thai right by my office to take home, I eat in Del Ray a lot already.  I cook all the time and love to cook.   Our normal Mexican place in Arlington is Taqueria Poblano, so that will carry over, Lost Dog will still deliver to us and I like Cheesetique.  And I know that we won't have the same options as Arlington, but we can visit some of our old haunts with not a bad drive.  BUT where would one go within a reasonable driving distance, order delivery or etc to get Indian food, Chinese, a good chicken place, etc, etc.  Not the high end stuff, but more the everyday type of things one might want.  What are your go-tos?

I know there's a twisty little intersection to cut across 1 over to DelRay from Potomac Yard -- comes in by Swing's Coffee.  Once you learn that route, you'll have all those choices.  Also, by car you'll be near Rustico.  And Crystal City / Pentagon Row are close, too (Lebanese Taverna, the Afghani place on 23rd St, etc.)

Really a word, but spelled "trep-i-datious".

Hopefully I am not restating the obvious from somewhere, but up at 23rd and Eads in Crystal City is the world-famous Kabob Palace.  I used to go there all the time, but my local travels don't put me there very often anymore.  I did recently make it by, and it seemed to be as good as ever.  Go for "no salad" (which is basically worthless) with your kabob, and you will end up with enough chickpeas and rice (and they are good) to last you a couple of days.  Based on how crowded it was in the counter ordering area (they have added a wall inside the entrance to cram in a couple of extra tables), I recommend calling in your takeout order ahead of time, and it seemed that most people had done that.  I used to go very late at night, when it was crowded, but less so.

I could not tell if you would have included Northside Ten on E. Glebe Road as being on your Del Ray radar.  I have only been once, but thought it was pretty good.  I think it is the sister to Southside 815 down at the south end of OTA. 

• Like 1

Well we have mostly eaten very casual- take out, as we have been in the throws of un-packing, and fixing stuff around the house.  Souvlaki Bar had a good salad topped with roast chicken, a nice big salad, with I thought a good portion of chicken, I would go back here. 

Saigon-Saigon in Pentagon City delivered some ok Vietnamese last night.  The chicken satay and garden rolls were fine, good even, I thought my vermicelli dish while acceptable, was nowhere close to Nam Viet, Hubby's panang curry was good.

Bella Napoli had very limited pizza toppings and I accidentally got spicy peppers instead of banana peppers, but it was fine, for the price of a pie, I would do Lost Dog instead, I just like it a little better in terms of topping selection. 

Cava Grill is a place I have always liked, and continue to like. 

Hops had what might be the lightest meatloaf I have ever eaten, I assume it has a lot of white bread in it?  It was fine meatloaf, the mashed potatoes were too runny, steamed broccoli was steamed broccoli.  Hubby's chicken finger platter with fries looked like a better choice- I am sure it was all sysco, but I am a sucker for some bad for me pre-frozen chicken tenders.

Hey folks - we have to meet someone for dinner in Old Town on Wednesday. Is there any place worth eating there these days? And not too terribly expensive?

Any food is good, although I don't eat seafood and don't much like Japanese food (except ramen). 

Suggestions? Thanks!

For Italian, A La Lucia, on Madison and? N. Royal, I think.  A bit worn around the edges, but the food is consistently good, and the service warm and relaxed.  And if you have room for dessert, excellent pistachio gelato.   Also, parking is a bit easier up at that end of town.

And Bastille for French, I think a little pricier.  On the west side of Old Town, Oronoco or Princess and.....Fayette?

• Like 1

I am going to throw in some suggestions-

Second Magnolia.

What about Bastille? It might not be in the part of Old Town you wanted.

Hummingbird has a nice view and is solid foodwise, not exciting, but solid.  

Hank's Pasta Bar is fine, it's pretty easy to find parking in North Old Town so that is a plus. I think the Regular Hank's is better, but mostly seafood.

Virtue has a nice varied menu, I find it very stable in consistency with good options. I really like their salads. 

I haven't been to Urbano 116, but really want to try it out. Might be worth a gander.

I like many items at Sunday in Saigon, it's not as good as some places in the Eden Center, or some other Vietnamese favorites of mine, but you can get some decent items. 

Skipping Japanese and seafood suggestions. If you don't want pricey, I will leave off La Fromagerie, Brabo, Landini Brothers, The Warehouse.

OK, we ended up at Hank's Pasta Bar and it was OK, but we probably won't return. Just wasn't that good. But, one of us really wanted to try it, so...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will end up out there again and will be using some of these ideas.

A friend and I took this beautiful afternoon to walk down to the waterfront to dine al fresco.  There is now an Airstream trailer housing Riverside Taco just behind the Torpedo Factory, and we decided to try it for lunch.  I got a potato & chorizo taco and a side of beans and a diet Coke, just over $9.  The taco had hits and misses -- freshly made tortilla but very small, about the diameter of an English muffin, toppings of fajita style peppers & onions were still cold from refrigeration and a poor match to the rest of the fillings, but good seasoning on the sausage, and the cotija cheese was so finely shredded and lacking flavor it could have been store-brand shake parmesan cheese.   The beans were very good, nice and creamy without being mushy, and a tasty cooking liquid with very mild chiles and a touch of cumin.  My friend got their vegetarian bowl ($10) and she liked it a lot, scraped the container clean.

---

Jackson 20 (Kibbee Nayee)
Nasime (Escoffier)

• Like 1

Vermillion's new chef is quite good if you can tolerate the ambiance of the restaurant which desperately needs a serious makeover.  The food he has prepared for my guests and me on. two different occasions was really excellent, I just don't frequent there because the dining rooms are so frumpy, old and worn out appearing.

La Fromagerie is also quite good.

Landini Bros has a nice dining room and a few good things on their menu, service is usually exceptional for Old Town but it is pricey for what you get I think.  It can be a nice dining experience.

Oak Steakhouse is a steakhouse, looks very nice, a plus for Old Town but very expensive formula style restaurant. A trip to Fiola would have been less and more enjoyable for me.  Our waiter was excellent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alexandria1 said:

Well that is utterly disappointing.  I hadn't been there yet, but now who knows when I will even make the attempt.  Hoping Chop Shop Taco keeps up the good momentum. 

8 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Well that is utterly disappointing.  I hadn't been there yet, but now who knows when I will even make the attempt.  Hoping Chop Shop Taco keeps up the good momentum. 

I went once and did not see they hype. I have not returned. I do not foresee good in this.