Padaek (Formerly Bangkok Golden), Chef Seng Luangrath's Lao and Thai in Seven Corners Plaza

We were at B.G. on Sunday night, introducing our daughter to the Lao menu. She's all "I love spicy food" but I managed to talk her down to Thai-hot (medium) instead of Lao-hot (inedibly spicy AFAI am concerned). Even so, I would have been happier with less heat. I love chiles and spicy salsa and mole, but I like to have the option of making something spicier by adding more condiments, rather than having the whole dish be borderline hotter than I can tolerate. Once again, the crispy rice salad was everyone's favorite dish.

If I may make some sweeping generalizations, I don't think (some) Mexican food is really hot at all compared to some of the cuisines of South and Southeast Asia. At least that's what we joke when one of my friends is gasping from the heat of my Thai food (She is Mexican). Of course it depends on the cook. I even know some Thai people who don't like spicy food. Of course not spicy for Thai food is very different than, say, not spicy for many Americans. I know my mother cannot tolerate chili at all, and I've heard in some places in the Midwest, food with any black pepper is considered too spicy. Over the past 30 years or so, the average American's tolerance for chili pepper has increased significantly though. For that I am grateful. When we were at BKG I did order the som tam "very spicy" in Thai. I was indeed super hot. It's nice to be able to get it that way without needing to convince the staff that you enjoy and can eat lethal food.

If I may make some sweeping generalizations, I don't think (some) Mexican food is really hot at all compared to some of the cuisines of South and Southeast Asia. At least that's what we joke when one of my friends is gasping from the heat of my Thai food (She is Mexican). Of course it depends on the cook. I even know some Thai people who don't like spicy food. Of course not spicy for Thai food is very different than, say, not spicy for many Americans. I know my mother cannot tolerate chili at all, and I've heard in some places in the Midwest, food with any black pepper is considered too spicy. Over the past 30 years or so, the average American's tolerance for chili pepper has increased significantly though. For that I am grateful. When we were at BKG I did order the som tam "very spicy" in Thai. I was indeed super hot. It's nice to be able to get it that way without needing to convince the staff that you enjoy and can eat lethal food.

It's the lack of dairy. Even an Indian vindaloo has raita to cool it down; Laotian/Thai and Korean have nothing comparable except rice, and a pinch of sticky rice is inadequate when the chemical-like burn begins to emanate from your eyes and ears.

There are two things you do *not* want to do after eating these cuisines. One of them is taking out your contact lenses.

Is there a difference in the heat-inducing ingredients (peppers etc. ) between Thai, Indian and say, Mexican and how they work in your mouth and with your tasting? I hear many people saying that they love it HOT!!!, but for me, at a certain level of heat, my taste buds are absolutely blown out and I taste *nothing* anymore.

It's the lack of dairy. Even an Indian vindaloo has raita to cool it down; Laotian/Thai and Korean have nothing comparable except rice, and a pinch of sticky rice is inadequate when the chemical-like burn begins to emanate from your eyes and ears.

There are two things you do *not* want to do after eating these cuisines. One of them is taking out your contact lenses.

Capsaicin is also alcohol soluble, so instead of dairy take a shot of Mekong whiskey to dampen the heat.

By the way, I did the other after making a batch of homemade chili powder.

Just came back from having the vegan tasting dinner to celebrate the anniversary with my girlfriend. Eight amazing dishes with a variety of flavors. Started with the crispy rice salad, then some soub pak (steamed vegetables). After these two dishes (which had a little spice) came a cooling mango salad. Next up was bamboo steamed in a banana leaf, followed by larb tofu. The meal then ended with a very light soup with great flavor (I want to say lemongrass), and the topper was khao mao avocado, sticky rice with avocado, coconut...mmm.

All that food? $25 a person. An amazing meal, an amazing value. Next time my vegetarian sister or father are in town on a weekday, I think I know where I'm taking them!

Now back to digesting and dreaming about the khao mao...

• Like 3

Was this tasting dinner on the menu, Matt, or was it special-ordered? And do you know whether Chef Seng would prepare a vegetarian but not necessarily vegan version?

Just came back from having the vegan tasting dinner to celebrate the anniversary with my girlfriend. Eight amazing dishes with a variety of flavors. Started with the crispy rice salad, then some soub pak (steamed vegetables). After these two dishes (which had a little spice) came a cooling mango salad. Next up was bamboo steamed in a banana leaf, followed by larb tofu. The meal then ended with a very light soup with great flavor (I want to say lemongrass), and the topper was khao mao avocado, sticky rice with avocado, coconut...mmm.

All that food? $25 a person. An amazing meal, an amazing value. Next time my vegetarian sister or father are in town on a weekday, I think I know where I'm taking them!

Now back to digesting and dreaming about the khao mao...

Was this tasting dinner on the menu, Matt, or was it special-ordered? And do you know whether Chef Seng would prepare a vegetarian but not necessarily vegan version?

It's a "special order" that she'll do with a week's notice Monday through Thursday. Most of the dishes are on the main menu I think (or, in some cases, meat-ful versions). The joy of this was getting to taste so many different things.

And technically it's vegetarian but sort of vegan by default perhaps. Not exactly a lot of butter, milk, eggs, &c. in Laotian food anyway. What were you thinking of that might be included but not technically vegan?

Good for you, Bangkok Golden. I loved you before, and will attempt to share this act of kindness with as many people as possible.

Brian I'm so sorry. :(

What a wonderfully inspiring story. It's sad that what should be ordinary human behavior is worth drawing attention to, but it's true.

This reminds me of what Old Hickory Grill in Burtonsville did for me when my father passed away (it was 18.5 years ago, and I still haven't forgotten it).

I'm sure your daughter will be fine, but nothing is more terrifying than something like this happening to a parent - you'll remember it long after your daughter is laughing, and smiling, and running around playing with her friends.

• Like 1

I had forgotten this piece of information, but luckily today is the 28th. While having a new battery installed in my car at the Sears at 7 Corners, I toddled across the pike for lunch. I was thinking either Hong Kong Palace or Bangkok Golden. I've never eaten at either place in their current incarnations. I chose BG, more or less by eeny-meeny. I ate at the Thai place maybe ten or eleven years ago (not sure if it had the same name), and the food was without any appeal whatsoever. Not so today! I would have liked to try several dishes, but I was lunching solo and didn't want to end up with buckets of leftovers. After looking at the buffet it was, ahem, easy to decide to order from the menu. I ordered the orm pork (or is it pork orm?) and a Lao dark beer. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Lao beer, so I had a Chang from Thailand, which is inoffensive if nothing better.

The pork stew was one of the most delicious dishes I've had all year. I ordered it Thai hot, which turned out to be perfect for my taste: emphatically hot, but not painfully so. The dill is right there in the menu description, but surprised me anyway. Not a taste I associate with Asian food, but nice. I was glad I hadn't ordered more than one dish, since I totally stuffed myself and had fully half the orm left, which they packed up for me. I'm tempted to have it for dinner. It's sitting on my kitchen counter, just beckoning.

And the people who work there seem so terribly nice.

After Chef Seng had touted her Labor Day specials this week, I decided to stop in and give some a try. I started with the tapioca balls (sakoo yad sai) as an appetizer, and they were quite good. The contrast between the tapioca, the pork, some crunchy peanut within, wrapped in lettuce leaves? Mmm.

But, not much can top the ping gai, grilled chicken with green papaya/rice noodle salad and sticky rice:

9640959844_5cf367feef.jpg
Ping Gai by Fortran, on Flickr

This might have been the most flavorful, juiciest chicken I've ever had. Apparently it's marinated in green lemongrass leaves...whatever it is, the skin was addictive!

• Like 4

Anyone who loves the crispy spinach chaat at Rasika needs to get to Bangkok Golden for the crispy watercress salad with tamarind dressing, shrimp and cashews. It was on the specials menu as an appetizer along with an interesting sounding grilled eggplant with duck egg. But OMG that crispy watercress was light as a feather and shattered under the teeth, with sweet, slightly sour tamarind vinaigrette, perfectly cooked freshly battered fried shrimp and toasty, crunchy cashews. We almost cancelled the rest of our order so that we could get another plate of this fabulous confection. But then, the special sour grilled sausage came to the table and that was so savory, fresh and engrossing. Crispy rice salad and grilled pork shoulder were satisfying, and we left full and happy. But oh, that crispy watercress!

We were told that even if the watercress salad isn't on the specials menu, we can request it, and they can make it for us. you must try this dish.

• Like 1

Zora, thank you! We took advantage of having a car and drove to Bangkok Golden for lunch today. The watercress salad beats the palak chaat at either Rasika or Bombay Club. It is a great dish, at a great price. $10 for a huge serving which includes two perfectly fried shrimp.

Yes, it really is that good.  Seng told me that she brought it back by popular demand and that it will be a "regular" special, in the sense that it will be available whenever she is in the kitchen . . . which will typically be Friday through Monday, and most evenings (but only occasional lunches) Tuesday through Thursday.

On a previous trip, my mother-in-law (a Texan) complained that the food in DC wasn't spicy enough for her tastes. So with a sense of hunger and an eye toward revenge, we brought her here for the Laos menu.

The crispy honey wings were good so far as wings go, but didn't really take things to another level like so many dishes here. The house special was a spicy sausage that delivered spice with herbal notes. A lot has been said on this board about the Watercress salad, and it is deserving. It seemed a tad sweet that night but was still devoured. It is the crispy rice salad that has captured our hearts. I cannot imagine going here and not ordering it.

For entrees we split the beef larb, grilled chicken and chicken orm. All were ordered thai hot (their middle ground), and I cannot imagine what the orm would be like if it were laos hot. Damn. We couldn't finish it. We took it home and it became a running gag as to who would eat it. The flavors were great, but my scalp was tingling and forehead dripping. However, my mother-in-law did say that she thought it was spicier than anything she's ever had. With that, mission accomplished.

• Like 4

Their Papaya Salad made Lao Spicy, is the spiciest dish I have ever had, and I ate extensively in Thailand and India and Mexico. And, they can go hotter, I was told.

Their grilled whole fish on special is fantastic, it has this mango sauce that is delicious.

I think this is my favorite restaurant in all of DC/MD/VA.

S

We were there on Tuesday night, and were not able to order the watercress salad--because Tuesday is Chef Seng's night off. So be forewarned. I suggested the possibility that we leave and come back the following night, but was overruled. We stayed and had green mango salad (medium hot), duck larb, crispy rice salad, chicken wings, and grilled pork shoulder. It was all good, but now that I've had the watercress salad, a meal at BG without it is going to be a tad flat.

Everytime I go back, we only order from the Laotian menu -- it just looks more tasty for some reason. I want to keep trying more dishes, but I keep levitating back to the same dishes.

I do like the watercress salad (it DOES remind me of Rasika's palak chaat!), but the crispy rice salad is definitely my favorite.

That's great to know that they do tasting menus with a week's notice.

I can't believe that I've lived this close to BG for so long and just recently discovered it. It's definitely my new go-to fix.

Has anyone tried the lunch buffet?

I didn't try the lunch buffet on my one visit to Bangkok Golden, but as I mentioned up above, looking at it caused me to decide immediately to order from the menu. The buffet offerings looked very tired and very sloppy.

I agree with you - I've seen the buffet several time, and can't bring myself to order it. I mean, it doesn't look *bad*; it's just that I know the regular Laotian menu offerings are going to be better.

It's surprising to me that given all the attention their Lao menu, and Chef Seng have received, they still put out what, from all accounts, is a pretty middling lunch buffet.  I guess there must be someone eating it.

Of course, with the age of Obamacare now upon us, no buffet is safe.  (Sorry, but I had to!)

• Like 3

It's surprising to me that given all the attention their Lao menu, and Chef Seng have received, they still put out what, from all accounts, is a pretty middling lunch buffet.  I guess there must be someone eating it.

Of course, with the age of Obamacare now upon us, no buffet is safe.  (Sorry, but I had to!)

There's no way Chef Seng can work both lunch and dinner, seven days a week - there's almost surely a line cook making the lunch buffet, cooking "safer"Âť cuisine. The really far-out Laotian stuff doesn't have as much general appeal (the Moak, maybe, but that's too expensive to put on a buffet - it's like playing Mozart (*) in a mall). That said, this is steam table food, much of which has probably been long-cooked, so who knows? I've never had it, and have only taken cursory glances (as I type, I couldn't tell you a single thing on the lunch buffet), so I may be completely wrong.

(*) And what I mean by that is the steamed meats are very "naked."Âť Musicians will understand.

I love BG and the Lao menu and have had Chef Seng create birthday meals for my friends- a correction about the buffet,tho - Moak is almost always on the dinner buffet as is a larb dish! I am lucky I live so close but a warning is warranted- reservations are needed for weekend dinners - the restaurant has been full for the past 2 months and our drop in behavior needed to change.

I love BG and the Lao menu and have had Chef Seng create birthday meals for my friends- a correction about the buffet,tho - Moak is almost always on the dinner buffet as is a larb dish! I am lucky I live so close but a warning is warranted- reservations are needed for weekend dinners - the restaurant has been full for the past 2 months and our drop in behavior needed to change.

Well, I guess it makes sense to have steamed items on a steam-table buffet. :) I thought these dishes might be too expensive to have on a buffet since people can cherry pick out the meat, but I guess not!

Chef Luangrath tweeted a link to their new hours and buffet schedule:

Loyal Customers, please note the changes in schedule and buffet.

New Hours:

LUNCH Mon to Fri 11am to 4pm
DINNER Mon to Fri 5pm to 10 pm
SATURDAY TO SUNDAY 12 to 10 PM
BUFFET WEEKDAY ONLY FROM MON TO FRIDAY FROM 11 to 3PM

The link in her tweet leads to her website, which includes her biography and blog entries about lao food.

• Like 1

There's no way Chef Seng can work both lunch and dinner, seven days a week - there's almost surely a line cook making the lunch buffet, cooking "safer" cuisine. The really far-out Laotian stuff doesn't have as much general appeal (the Moak, maybe, but that's too expensive to put on a buffet - 

So does this mean one should avoid Bangkok Golden for lunch if you want the full Lao experience?

Has anyone gone there for a LaoLunch?

• Like 1

So does this mean one should avoid Bangkok Golden for lunch if you want the full Lao experience?

Has anyone gone there for a LaoLunch?

I wouldn't avoid it at lunch. We had an excellent group lunch there a while back with only dishes from the Lao menu. Reading back through the thread, it looks like that's been the case for others as well. Just be sure to order off the Lao menu and ask for the 'secret' menu (bringing Fish Innards translation would be a good idea), instead of going for the buffet.

They have a "Temple Plate" dinner for two for $29.99.  You get 6 dishes: a larb and a chopped fish, both fabulous, a soup (OK) and a beef stew (Nice but a little boring), sausage and dried beef, plus three dipping sauces, and two bowls of veggies.  Its a nice combo but i owuld have rather come with twomore people and ordered our own $60 combo of plates.  But if you have not been yet, or just want to explore the Lao side of the menu in an effortless fashion, go for it.  THe veggies with the dips wre perhaps the highlight!

Lunch was great.  The flavors were so bright and different from "normal' food (whatever that means).

We just threw ourselves on the mercy of our server and asked for the best loved dishes.  What we got was sort of a blur, but we had to ask for the watercress salad which wasn't on the menu.  LIke Dean above, our least favorite dish was the noodle soup.  It was fine, but it didn't stand up next to the rest of the dishes.

Bottom line"¦"¦.at lunch or dinner, this place is a winner.

• Like 1

I went again last night alone, and I've already expressed how I felt about this place, but I had something I never tried and it may be one of the single best dishes I've had in the DC metro area.

It's in the soup section - Mee Kathi - Rice noodle soup, ground pork, coconut milk, eggs, mung bean paste, ground peanut & chili paste. Served with julienne cabbage, bean sprout & carrots.

Oh my god. It was delicious. It reminded me of khao soi, but not as much curry flavor. It is rich, the egg is apparent, the coconut milk isn't too heavy like tom kha kai. The noodles are perfectly cooked. I asked for it Lao Spicy, and it wasn't inedible (like the Tom Yum, the single spiciest dish I've had stateside). I also ordered chicken larb, but I didn't even want it any more. This soup was freakin' perfect. It's $9.99, and definitely makes a full meal for lunch or dinner. If you haven't had it yet, next time you go, get it. It's absolutely amazing. 

Simul

• Like 5

Had a feast last night here. Interestingly, the Lao hot papaya salad was not at it's typical level of heat. I could eat it easily. Also, the mee kathi soup I raved about was not the same. It was way less broth, way more noodles. It was not a soup. Not sure what happened. Bummed, because I hyped it to my eating partners.

Chicken orm, fish moak, nam khao were all at their typical high level.

They have a separate Thai menu for Thai people. It has variations of many of the dishes. They have a noodle version of the papaya salad, a few intestine heavy dishes. They may or may not go through it with you. Yesterday they did.

They have a separate Thai menu for Thai people. It has variations of many of the dishes. They have a noodle version of the papaya salad, a few intestine heavy dishes. They may or may not go through it with you. Yesterday they did.

Somewhere above in this thread you will find a translation of the Thai menu that I did awhile back.

[it's here. DR]

You know what's weird?  There's a whole other Bangkok Golden(s) it Ft. Washington and Fairfax that is NOT this one.

http://www.bangkokgolden.com/Home.html  (not the one you want)

http://www.chefseng.com  (the one you want)

Yes, my impression has been that there was a split a long time ago. I never did find out exactly what happened, but that was my guess.

I realize now I've never posted about this restaurant, which is a grave error on my behalf. From last July until this June, I was splitting my time about 50-50 between Arlington and Brooklyn NY. When in Arlington and eating out during that period, I easily ate at BG more than any other establishment. I think it is the best value restaurant in NoVA right now. The staff is always friendly and generous. I've chatted with Chef Seng twice and she was quite gracious and enlightening -- she wants me to try the one Laotian restaurant in NY -- Khe Yo (website) -- and compare for her (she notes that her cooking is more home style than Khe Yo).

I love visiting here with friends, especially people who've never been there before. One problem I have with BG is I always want the crispy rice salad, so if I'm dining alone I will only order one other item. When dining with a group of four or more I love to order a whole variety of dishes. Like Zora I love the crispy watercress salad. Other favorites include the fried chicken wings, larb duck, tomp pho soup, grilled chicken, grilled pork, pork sausage, and the lemonade (which is a little effervescent to me, different from other lemonades I've had).

I almost never order Thai here, but when I have I think it does rate as some of the better Thai food in the area. But I like the Lao better.

• Like 1

I've chatted with Chef Seng twice and she was quite gracious and enlightening -- she wants me to try the one Laotian restaurant in NY -- Khe Yo (website) -- and compare for her (she notes that her cooking is more home style than Khe Yo). 

Jimmy, I hope you realize what a compliment this is! Thanks for posting - you sound like you know what you're doing.

Do they deliver? Hong Kong Palace does, but their food doesn't always hold up very well.

Here's the story (there's play button, kinda hidden, above the photo of the shrimp salad):

"Laotian Chef Helps Diners Feel The Burn Of Her Native Cuisine" by Emily Berman on wamu.org

And here's the transcript.

The interview indirectly answers Don's question about the split -- Chef Seng bought the Seven Corners restaurant in 2010, which I assume is when the split happened.

Here's the story (there's play button, kinda hidden, above the photo of the shrimp salad):

"Laotian Chef Helps Diners Feel The Burn Of Her Native Cuisine" by Emily Berman on wamu.org

And here's the transcript.

The interview indirectly answers Don's question about the split -- Chef Seng bought the Seven Corners restaurant in 2010, which I assume is when the split happened.

Great post, Jimmy.

I hope Chef Seng eventually gathers enough confidence to rename Bangkok Garden (maybe to "Chef Seng's?"), and to switch over to an even more Laotian menu.

And boy, would I *love* to hear what she thinks of Little Serow (*). You know what? I'd bet she's critical of it (I mean, come on, she's a cook!), but that she likes it, too.

Could this be Peter Chang in miniature? I'm not convinced the answer is yes, but I haven't seen her best stuff.

(*) I also want to remind everyone that Little Serow is a *great* restaurant. Certain individual items may be better at Bangkok Golden, but don't make the mistake of thinking that Bangkok Golden is a better restaurant because it isn't - there is a lot of "good but not great" at Bangkok Golden and don't think otherwise (it may not be found in Chef Seng's Laotian dishes, but it's there, I assure you - I've eaten here no less than 10 times, and I promise you that it's true).

Just finished another great Lao meal at Bangkok Golden- duck larb was best ever - amazing texture and so many flavors - watercress flash fried with shrimp and mango snd cashews and tamarind- and chicken soup with rice noodles and cilantro garlic and more...

A delicious meal.

(*) I also want to remind everyone that Little Serow is a *great* restaurant. Certain individual items may be better at Bangkok Golden, but don't make the mistake of thinking that Bangkok Golden is a better restaurant because it isn't - there is a lot of "good but not great" at Bangkok Golden and don't think otherwise (it may not be found in Chef Seng's Laotian dishes, but it's there, I assure you - I've eaten here no less than 10 times, and I promise you that it's true).

I haven't eaten at Little Serow and don't have plans to -- The Wife and I tend not to eat tasting menus due to certain dietary restrictions.

Are there *any* suburban strip mall restaurants at BG's price point that can do better than "good but not great" with such a setup?

It would be interesting to see what Chef Seng could do in a tasting-menu only environment. But again that wouldn't be for me or The Wife.

• Like 1