Saturday Night Sips - January 22, 2011, 6-9 pm

goldenticket

Saturday Night Sips is coming up this weekend. It's a cocktail reception, from 6-9 pm, featuring the following (confirmed) chefs:

Will Artley of Evening Star Cafe

Graham Bartlett of Zengo

Antonio Burrell of Masa 14

Garret Fleming of Eatonville

Shannon Overmiller of The Majestic Cafe

David Varley of Bourbon Steak

K.N. Vinod of Indique Heights

Confirmed Mixologists include:

Dan Searing of Room 11

Gina Chersevani of PS7's

Owen Thomson of Cafe Atlantico

Jeff Faile of Palena

Tickets are $100 (tax-deductible) and all proceeds with benefit Martha's Table and DC Central Kitchen.

The event is tied in with the (sold-out) Sunday Night Suppers with Jose Andres, Alice Waters, and Joan Nathan, which are being held the following night.

What a great time we had at Saturday Night Sips! It was held in a beautiful home on 16th Street with cocktail, small plate and wine stations scattered throughout the three stories of the house. The mixologists held court on the first floor (Gina from PS7's dazzled with a gin, saffron and cardamom concoction) and the chefs were strategically placed elsewhere (especially mad props to Graham Bartlett of Zengo for the Flounder Crudo with Hibiscus-marinated Clementine (I think?), Shannon Overmiller for a wonderful bite of the "Kobe Beef of Pork" and best-in-show to Will Artley of Evening Star for his Pork Belly atop Sunchoke Puree (ably assisted by Kate Lytle of Rustico/CIA). Very nice range of wines sponsored by Le Baccanti (arranger of Italian food and wine tours on road show from their Florence offices) represented by Benedetta Marinelli and her colleague. Those on the ground floor were treated to inspiring words from, among others cookbook author Joan Nathan, Jose Andres (who smilingly posed for pictures with guests) and Alice Waters (in from Chez Panisse, who provided a very heartfelt greeting). A cost-effective (and available!) alternative or add-on to the Sunday Suppers series (oversubscribed before we could sign up this year). Felt special to be there- -great food, wine and conversation in every room. Good times!

Ditto what wlohmann* said! Everything I ate and drank was delicious. I have to mention Antonio Burrell's fantastic scallop dish - just when I think it sounds like too much (uni, truffle, roe, shiso) he surprises me with a great combination of flavors and textures. Adam Sobel (the new chef at Bourbon Steak) was charming and served a refreshing Peter's Point oyster topped with kim chi and citrus soju. The veal cheek barbecue from Eatonville's Garrett Fleming was also delicious - give me some more of those black pepper biscuits. Bhelpuri from Indique Heights was passed, as were a variety of pickles from Rick's Picks. The Manhattan was great and so was the "Beyond the Pale" - I'm drawing a blank and don't want to credit the wrong folks.

Members of DC Central Kitchen's Culinary Job Training 82nd Class deserve special recognition for nimbly managing the crowds to serve, clear, and support the chefs and others preparing food and drink!

It was a great evening and hopefully raised a nice chunk of change for two great organizations.

* Say hi next time :)