Medium Rare - Local Chain with $19.50 Steak Frites (and a Second Helping)

The restaurant business is almost a statistically impossible business. Very few succeed long term. I decided In May 2008, when the first BGR opened I would do it differently . a) invest in great people, develop their individual skills to help them succeed far beyond their time working with me. b ) be accessible (I still answer every customer comment myself and personally write a thank you note to anyone who takes the time to proactively give me feedback to make my teams better c) I've never said no to a charity or cause (check my record) I believe a local business has an obligation to controbite to the community that supports its success. D) If other restaurant companies do it , I do the opposite (many claim great software , systems , technology , manuals etc, yet 80% don't make it to their 3rd anniversary . DC's a wonderful foodie/restaurant community, we all root for each others success, we all help each other and we all share.things. This board is the heartbeat of it. Happy Holidays !!!

Mark, I just read this most recent exchange. I don't say this often enough, but *thank you* for your participation here. It has always meant a lot to me, and I echo what darkstar said in his most recent post. This type of dialog, this type of open exchange, is what I'd hoped for when I founded donrockwell.com - I have always maintained that the diner-restaurant relationship should not be an "us vs. them" mentality, and that restaurants are our friends, and that customers are restaurants' friends - or should be. And quite honestly, at 8 AM I'm now craving a steak frites, in particular your crack sauce to dunk my fries in.

Thx waitman for the feedback and the jab ;). Will definitely look into the items you mentioned and address anything that's awry. That being said as per our direct msg thread . Apologies and please come back and enjoy your next dinner on me and please report back the experience .

• Like 2

You know I've been reviewing waitmans prior postings and I don't really think any of the prior posts were ever really that good, they seem to be limp, without passion, lumpy with improper punctuation and notably poor spelling.;). I hopefully made someone laugh this gorgeous afternoon ! Enjoy this great DC weather !

• Like 6

You know I've been reviewing waitmans prior postings and I don't really think any of the prior posts were ever really that good, they seem to be limp, without passion, lumpy with improper punctuation and notably poor spelling. ;). I hopefully made someone laugh this gorgeous afternoon ! Enjoy this great DC weather !

What are you, the frickin' NSA rummaging through my deepest dreams and bitterest nightmares?

I'll definitely cop to the last two charges.

Very interesting development. My guess is that the Hill can bear the competition, and it may up Spike's game. Win-win. I haven't been to either place, but my perception is that Bearnaise has a bit more varied menu and a "name," which will attract a slightly different crowd.

The sign outside Fusion says they are moving. Does anyone know where?

I wonder what kind of competition that will provide Bearnaise.

A lot. It's a classic case of moving in and undercutting the competition. Bearnaise has a better location (that "Spike Block" is a pretty impressive piece of real estate), a much broader menu, and a very talented cook in Brad Race (ain't no way Medium Rare is going to put out a steak tartare like Bearnaise does - btw, just to compete the picture, Montmartre's tartare is far superior to Bernaise's, and they also offer a hanger steak composed plate for $24.95).

But even though they may be a half mile apart, it's the "same" neigborhood, and steak prices are literally half as much at Medium Rare (Bearnaise's steak-frites prices are $28, $38, and $42). There is a legitimate discussion to be had regarding the quality of the beef at Medium Rare, but to the vast majority of diners, it's all just a "steak frites," people *love* saving money and getting free things, and everyone's primal thought (even my own) upon hearing about a $19.50 steak dinner - with a free second helping - is almost the same type of psyche that has made Groupon successful - I suspect Mark Bucher didn't open this second outpost because he was losing money on the first.

Hi there.. So here's the chime in. In my opinion there's zero competition between barracks row and the two blocks up against the Capitol building at dinner. For lunch maybe. For dinner highly unlikely . But medium rare isn't open for lunch. As for the steak. I get it. It's hard for foodies to understand how can it be for the the price, any type of quality. It's certainly easy to speculate. But I suggest that (as one of the regions largest relationship guys with meat suppliers ) wouldnt you think I have some extraordinary relationships and that's why I'm centric around beef in particular ? That being said , we certainly don't fake what it's not as some high end steak houses do "prime filet"anyone ? Doesn't exisit.. No marbling.;).. We consistently serve Certified Angus or higher .Nothing lower, never, won't happen here. So there you have it and again why this board trumps all others. Direct and complete transparency and a quick response . Now don't ask for the secret sauce recipe;)

• Like 5

Those of you planning on going to the Uptown to see "Gravity" (and, yes, you certainly should see it--even if Sci-Fi movies aren't your cup of tea) and then popping into Medium Rare for a meal, might want to reconsider. While the 4:45 showing this afternoon was hardly packed, it seems that everybody else in the theater had the same idea we did. By the time we got there at 6:35 or so, there was an hour wait. We went to Spices, instead. Too bad, because it would have the first time any of the three of us had eaten at MR. We'll try again some other time.

We hit Medium Rare tonight after catching the documentary Spinning Plates on E St since, well, the Uptown doesn't usually show movies like that.  :(

Wasn't too busy; maybe half full.  Our salad weren't limp and were actually quite good beyond being crisp.  I love that Medium Rare has not done what many spots do after the initial popularity wave: start cutting corners on quality.  Exhibit A: the bread which I believe (based on taste and texture) is still Panorama. Whatever one thinks of the beef, it is consistent. Likewise on the secret sauce, which we always enjoy though not sure whether any flour is in there to thicken as Waitman suspects.

One of my main complaints about MR in the past (which is upthread somewhere but link not necessary) is/was the training that had them delivering the "seconds" before any normal human could possibly have finished the firsts.

Not tonight.  There was reasonable and much appreciated spacing between salad, first and second servings.

• Like 1

Mer ci' . not a single change. Same vendors , same recipes and shockingly if you look closely many of the same faces working . Our secret sauce goes far beyond just "the sauce " Never a cut corner . No matter what beef prices do,no matter what butter prices do we ride it out. Steady as she goes. Thanks for coming by again ......... And as always thanks for the honest ,well written. and perceptive feedback....

• Like 3

As someone who is  in the business, this is born of tunnel vision restaurant policy rather than practicality. A check can be transferred from server to server, even if they are working in different revenue centers (ie: BAR -> RESTAURANT). I hate this with a passion and should never occur at a restaurant of this caliber.

ETA - This may also be just one rogue bartender and not the policy of Fiola Mare as a whole.

For what it is worth we ate at Medium Rare (CP) on Sunday and had a drink at the bar waiting for our table.  They transferred our bar tab to our table.

Had a very nice dinner at MR tonight. The temperature was in the high 60s and the patio was very pleasant. No need to say what I ordered, but all of it was very good. The salad and bread to start out with were surprisingly good with the best nice and crusty. I had both servings, of course, along with a nice Cabernet. The table split a huge ice cream sundae for dessert, which came piled  high with whipped cream and sprinkles. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, franch said:

haven't had the chance to go here yet. for those who have been, how does this compare to Le Relais de Venise/L'Entrecote in NYC/Paris?

is there a sweet house wine deal like L'Entrecote has?

No. MR feels more like a café. I ate at the L'Entrecote in Bordeaux several times. It is a handsome, substantial, very, very, busy restaurant. Very different from the feel of Medium Rare.

I had one of the most satisfying meals of my life at this place a while back.  My now-fiance and I went after going to zoo lights on a cold and rainy (classicly DC 38 + rain), and after wandering around freezing our unmentionables off, we staggered into MR and grabbed two seats at the bar.  We were immediately served some sort of lovely mulled cider concoction, and then gorged ourselves on the solid bread, simple but tasty salad, and steak/frites.  Perfectly homey meal with good, friendly service, and the best antidote to that terrible weather. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2016 at 1:18 PM, Mark Slater said:

No. MR feels more like a café. I ate at the L'Entrecote in Bordeaux several times. It is a handsome, substantial, very, very, busy restaurant. Very different from the feel of Medium Rare.

I agree - we ate at L'Entrecote in NYC last month and it was insanely busy. MR has a much more relaxed feel to it.

Oh my lord.

We went out tonight. OUT! Just me and the boy. With everything reopening, and both of us vaccinated and fully cooked, we decided it was time to go OUT.

So we went to Bedrock, and had beer and shot pool. Then we had a tough decision. But the deciding point was fries. We have only had fries like, twice, in the last year and a half. (I worked at McD's as a teenager, and often ran the fry station at lunch. So I have been a bit burned out on fries for 40 years now.) But we both like good fries, even though I only eat a few. And he LOVES them. So off to Medium Rare. And it was tasty. So tasty. A bit salty. But we are out of practice at restaurant food, so we expected that.

They warned us that they were short staffed. But they did an amazing job. And the food was tasty. And they were SO friendly and helpful.

A very good night. OUT!

• Like 7

They have been great throughout the pandemic with really good takeout and very specific reheating instructions. We live near the CP one and it has been packed for carryout/in person dining throughout and now with reopening, it has been hopping.

• Like 1

Took advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday, and had brunch outside at their Bethesda location. 
it started out poorly…the price in person was $4 more per person than the price on their website, which always annoys me…but after that, we had an all around excellent meal. 
The place was really slammed, and I would have forgiven some sub-standard service, but the waitstaff was excellent.  Our waiter had just started there the day before, but he was really pleasant and efficient 

Last time we were there, pre-pandemic, the seasoning was off…the frites were too salty, and the meat too peppery…but everything was spot on this time. Plus, the bread was warm, crunchy, and refilled regularly. The brunch came with all you drink mimosas, Bloody Mary’s etc., and they brought them out in carafes, so we were able to top ourselves off without having to flag down waitstaff, which was very nice.

Hope this nice weather sticks around for a bit!

Incidentally, I’m not sure if they do the “second helping” any more. I know it’s not at brunch, and I was told they don’t do it at dinner either, but the guy I talked to didn’t seem too sure. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 10:13 AM, mtureck said:

Incidentally, I’m not sure if they do the “second helping” any more. I know it’s not at brunch, and I was told they don’t do it at dinner either, but the guy I talked to didn’t seem too sure. 

We go pretty regularly to the Cleveland Park one for dinner - they still do the second helping there - just as they've always done. Still great consistent - good food.

• Thanks 1