S'no Joke (Sorry, I Couldn't Take The Other Title Any Longer)

Ilaine

I heard Jason Samenow (Capital Weather Gang) on NPR today. Evidently, we're "right in the bullseye" and "could get 5 or more inches on Wednesday" OR "we might move out of the bullseye" and "skirt the storm altogether."

There's some helpful forecasting ferya. ;)

As of this typing, we're back in the bullseye.

In anticipation of shoveling cement every few hours on Wednesday, the evening menu is going to be...

Still not totally convinced but have to admit it is looking more likely as we get closer.

Here's my question though. Isn't the most severe scenario one that might mean a day of closures or road problems at most? Could go without food altogether that long (dog too...unless its a chihuahua, shih tzu, mexican hairless or lhasa apsa :D )

Actually, I think that it's that the snow is expected to be wet and heavy, with high winds, so odds of downed trees/powerlines and extended days without power are possible.

Of course, I don't know anything more than Jason Samenow or all the other meteorologists. And, every now and then we do get hit with downed power lines, school closing and the like. But here's the thing. Even with changing and more severe weather patterns, those things are still more exception than norm and especially true when it comes to snow. I went out to shovel or front walk this AM...and couldn't. The walk was totally clear. Wet but clear. Huh?

Vance nails it. Really funny and as true. Even better than "good lord people!" (which I enjoyed too :) ) was this: "weather drives ratings." That, imho, is IT. So do we think his close was serious? I guess so. :wacko:

Stay dry. And maybe go out for dinner tonight since you should be able to pretty easily. Bring a raincoat.

And, for all you posters who use laptops, here's a good caution for you. :D

I'd agree with him but for 2 things:

1) Fairfax County has, in its wisdom, placed my child's bus stop at a shaded intersection with neither curb nor sidewalk; and

2) Has he SEEN the way people drive around here when the roads have any snow? I spent grad school in Wisconsin driving at night for a free ride service, and I have zero doubts about my ability to handle a vehicle on snow and ice. But I sure don't want to be on the roads here in such conditions with all those idiots who think that an SUV means they can tailgate in snow or brake and turn at the same time.

I have the whole day at home, Hubby is at work, stocked fridge, but losing inspiration, need to get it back. Made some chicken salad for lunch, pickling some veggies that I have wanted to pickle. But what should I make for dinner, I am marinating pork chops for tomorrow night. I have too many options and too much time.

Man the wind has been bad here, but I am apparently over the rain line.

I'd agree with him but for 2 things:

1) Fairfax County has, in its wisdom, placed my child's bus stop at a shaded intersection with neither curb nor sidewalk; and

2) Has he SEEN the way people drive around here when the roads have any snow? I spent grad school in Wisconsin driving at night for a free ride service, and I have zero doubts about my ability to handle a vehicle on snow and ice. But I sure don't want to be on the roads here in such conditions with all those idiots who think that an SUV means they can tailgate in snow or brake and turn at the same time.

Totally agree with you but, as of this afternoon in and around DC, there is no ice, snow or any slipperiness on roads at all. So, just have to deal with the idiots who are normally out there causing havoc irrespective of weather. I'm going to bring those Alaskan sled dogs I rented back to the store. I was sooo stoked to mush it down to Toki or something. All for naught. Now it'll be cherry blossom time before you can blink. ;)

I have the whole day at home, Hubby is at work, stocked fridge, but losing inspiration, need to get it back. Made some chicken salad for lunch, pickling some veggies that I have wanted to pickle. But what should I make for dinner, I am marinating pork chops for tomorrow night. I have too many options and too much time.

Man the wind has been bad here, but I am apparently over the rain line.

We've had some really huge gusts of wind, but the rain has washed away the little bit of snow that was sticking to the ground.

I put a shovel outside the back door maybe a month ago when there was supposed to be a storm, which didn't really amount to anything. I just left it there afterwards. The scooping part is plastic, so it's not really that heavy. There have been several instances of high winds since then and the shovel stayed exactly in place, propped behind a heavy flowerpot. I said that I would put it away after this storm, and today it actually blew over. So, it's inside now, and the cat is enjoying it.

Starting beef stew now.

We've had some really huge gusts of wind, but the rain has washed away the little bit of snow that was sticking to the ground.

I put a shovel outside the back door maybe a month ago when there was supposed to be a storm, which didn't really amount to anything. I just left it there afterwards. The scooping part is plastic, so it's not really that heavy. There have been several instances of high winds since then and the shovel stayed exactly in place, propped behind a heavy flowerpot. I said that I would put it away after this storm, and today it actually blew over. So, it's inside now, and the cat is enjoying it.

Starting beef stew now.

I haven't heard the forecast for tonight, but if this precipitation keeps up, and temperatures fall this evening, things could get quite nasty out.

And then we can watch all the arrogant people from New England and Minnesota - the ones that make fun of Washington drivers - spin out on the ice, squawk as they're doing 720s, and slam into guardrails 15 seconds after they were being snooty about what great drivers they are in the snow. :)

I haven't heard the forecast for tonight, but if this precipitation keeps up, and temperatures fall this evening, things could get quite nasty out.

And then we can watch all the arrogant people from New England and Minnesota - the ones that make fun of Washington drivers - spin out on the ice, squawk as they're doing 720s, and slam into guardrails 15 seconds after they were being snooty about what great drivers they are in the snow. :)

The low for tonight is going to be hovering right around freezing, so it could be problem. The big roads have all been treated, but the combination of rain and wind might have diminished the effectiveness of the treatment. On the other hand, high winds can dry up rain on the ground.

This area is tricky for predicting weather, since it frequently falls on the edge of a rain/snow line. Since the region is so highly interconnected, with people commuting long distances, it's even harder to deal with bad weather.

I read something maybe a year or so ago (could have been Capital Weather Gang) about how meteorologists err on the side of predicting the worst case because people get much angrier about being blindsided by a storm than over-preparing.* If people over-prepare, they make jokes about about how unreliable the weather forecasters are. When they're stuck on the 14th Street Bridge in a blizzard for 8 hours, they're much less forgiving.

*ETA: I now remember where I got this from: Nate Silver, The Weatherman Is Not a Moron.

• Like 1

Where I come from, South Louisiana, there are two kinds of people when it comes to hurricanes, the ones who see the forecast, and get the hell out of Dodge, and the ones who say, "oh, those people are weenies." Those are the ones who drown.* I'd rather be safe than sorry.

There was a lot of precipitation out my way, between Fairfax City and Burke, but the ground is warm, and the air was warm, and the March sun was strong, and it compacted down to four inches. You guys living inside the Beltway know you live in a heat island.

I am finishing up a big batch of chicken and pork broth, husband is shoveling the sidewalks and freeing the cars before it freezes, and if he's still up for it, he's planning on making a batch of chili.

*Some people don't leave because they don't have a way to do it. Not blaming the victims, just the ones who brag about not being a weenie.

It will freeze tonight. There will be black ice. Be a weenie. Stay safe.

Where I come from, South Louisiana, there are two kinds of people when it comes to hurricanes, the ones who see the forecast, and get the hell out of Dodge, and the ones who say, "oh, those people are weenies." Those are the ones who drown.* I'd rather be safe than sorry.

There was a lot of precipitation out my way, between Fairfax City and Burke, but the ground is warm, and the air was warm, and the March sun was strong, and it compacted down to four inches. You guys living inside the Beltway know you live in a heat island.

I am finishing up a big batch of chicken and pork broth, husband is shoveling the sidewalks and freeing the cars before it freezes, and if he's still up for it, he's planning on making a batch of chili.

*Some people don't leave because they don't have a way to do it. Not blaming the victims, just the ones who brag about not being a weenie.

Of course fully agree with you, Ilaine. Yours is the responsible and reasonable view. I share it. At the same time, I think it's okay to have a bit of fun with it when forecasts don't prove true. It's not about knocking or insulting forecasters or at all discouraging safe and conservative preparation. Just about bringing a bit of humor into most any situation; especially when no harm has been done. I can't imagine Jim Vance would disagree. His bit was both a bit reasonable but more just very funny. FWIW.

Of course fully agree with you, Ilaine. Yours is the responsible and reasonable view. I share it. At the same time, I think it's okay to have a bit of fun with it when forecasts don't prove true. It's not about knocking or insulting forecasters or at all discouraging safe and conservative preparation. Just about bringing a bit of humor into most any situation; especially when no harm has been done. I can't imagine Jim Nance would disagree. His bit was both a bit reasonable but more just very funny. FWIW.

Jim Nance was a fullback; Jim Vance is a legendary DC newscaster (I corrected your other post earlier, but you continue to err). :)

• Like 1

all those idiots who think that an SUV means they can tailgate in snow or brake and turn at the same time.

There's at least one other person on this board who knows what she's talking about.

If you don't get what PollyG wrote, please please please go out and take a defensive driving course* that will teach you about such things. It's not just fun and games. You're out there piloting a 3000+ lb missile, least you can do for your fellow drivers (and pedestrians) is learn how to drive it safely.

In all my years of teaching this stuff, I've learned that the vast majority of people who think they're good drivers aren't.

I'd better stop now 'cause I feel a rant coming on.

*was going to post a link but their server is down. Go to www.bsr-inc.com and look up Accident Avoidance.

• Like 1

Not a problem, darkstar! I am just happy that OPM shut down the feds today. I bet the receptionist at work fifty cents that we would not have work today, so she will have to pay up. She was convinced we would just have rain.

Meanwhile, out in Front Royal, over a foot. I have a client who works for the feds who commutes from Front Royal to DC every day, and one who commutes from Winchester. Sure glad they were able to stay home today. Sorry if I sound sanctimonious. I don't mean to.

My husband is from Chicago and he's always ragging on snow pussies ("Oh no! It's a flake!"), but he stays home when there's a lot of snow.

...My husband is from Chicago and he's always ragging on snow pussies ("Oh no! It's a flake!"), but he stays home when there's a lot of snow.

When it comes to winter weather posture, sounds like your husband and I are of like mind. Humor coupled with serious respect for the dangers and importance of avoiding problems. :)

There's at least one other person on this board who knows what she's talking about.

If you don't get what PollyG wrote, please please please go out and take a defensive driving course* that will teach you about such things. It's not just fun and games. You're out there piloting a 3000+ lb missile, least you can do for your fellow drivers (and pedestrians) is learn how to drive it safely.

In all my years of teaching this stuff, I've learned that the vast majority of people who think they're good drivers aren't.

I'd better stop now 'cause I feel a rant coming on.

*was going to post a link but their server is down. Go to www.bsr-inc.com and look up Accident Avoidance.

"The opening was there, damn it!"

I'm going to roast in hell for this.

Go to Miami sometime if you want to see the worst drivers on the east coast.

So just to finish the day off: ended up making Beef Ho Fun Noodles for dinner, baked icebox sugar cookies. I have the pork chops marinating for tomorrow night. I have leftover chicken salad to eat on spinach tomorrow for lunch. I also steamed some dumplings Hubby bought from the freezer section (not homemade) of an asian supermarket a little while ago, they had no time on steaming, which were a fail, but hey not everyone's a winner.

Got some work from my charity done, didn't bill very much, but hey its early in the month.