Pepsi and Mountain Dew "Throwback" Series

DonRocks

Okay, so I rarely drink soft drinks, and am behind the times when it comes to grocery shopping, but I saw both of these in a CVS today. Is this national, or is politically charged DC a test market? Does anyone know how these sodas are being received?

Yes, I bought a Mountain Dew, and it's the first one I've bought in about ten years, so I have no idea if I can taste the difference (it would not surprise me if some of the other ingredients were altered as well - this is like BP pitching themselves as "Beyond Petroleum"); all I know is - I'm sick of seeing corn fields where they shouldn't be.

Cheers,

Rocks

They're nationwide - they've been out for a while now.

I'm not a fan of Pepsi products in general so I can't vouch for how they taste. I keep meaning to do a "Mexican Coke vs. American Coke" taste test but haven't gotten around to it.

(Coke listed the availability of kosher and Mexican Coke as the reason why they haven't done a "throwback".)

Yeah, I think it's both regional AND seasonal.

They also dork with the formula each year. Two years ago, I thought the Pepsi was great and the Mountain Dew was undrinkable. Last year they drifted towards each other.

Note that, unlike Boylan's, they are not made with 100% cane sugar - just not HFCS. They use mostly beet sugar.

Note that, unlike Boylan's, they are not made with 100% cane sugar - just not HFCS. They use mostly beet sugar.

To me, this seems like a key point that nobody is seizing on. I'm not sure how important it is (I haven't researched subsidies properly), but are sugar beets a mini-equivalent of corn? I really thought "real sugar" implied cane sugar, and was fooled.

I'm not saying it tasted bad because I liked it - actually I liked it too much (it has a whopping 280 calories per 20-ounce bottle). I woke up at 5 AM, super thirsty, and headed straight for the refrigerator and downed the second half of the bottle with gusto. But I'm steering clear of this stuff because if I didn't, I'd end up being the "Mountain" in Mountain Dew.

"Hey, let's go out and pound a couple six packs, and then wake up dying of thirst and down a Throwback Mountain Dew; then go back to sleep, wake up hungover, not exercise (because of the hangover), and go eat a burrito for lunch to get something in our stomachs."

Triple whammy! 1) Calories from the alcohol 2) Dormancy from the hangover 3) Pig-out from the gnawing, low-grade nausea (including chugging a two-liter Throwback Mountain Dew for both sugar and caffeine intake). Life is good. (Short, but good.) :)

To me, this seems like a key point that nobody is seizing on. I'm not sure how important it is (I haven't researched subsidies properly), but are sugar beets a mini-equivalent of corn? I really thought "real sugar" implied cane sugar, and was fooled.

Corn sugar is principally glucose, HFCS is glucose/fructose. Both sugar beets and sugar cane produce mainly sucrose, and beets have dominated US sugar production for decades.

The grail for Dr Pepper aficionados is still Dublin Dr Pepper, still sweetened with Imperial Cane Sugar by the oldest and last bottler to use the original recipe. You don't see it often outside of its native Texas, although it can be ordered online. I want to say that it was slightly tastier than "heritage", but I didn't taste them side-by-side and my last Dublin was out of a glass bottle for which I paid a small fortune.

Pepsi's natural sugar is a blend of both cane and beet: throwback review. They also have a product called Pepsi Natural which I believe is 100% cane sugar. I think I had one of those two years ago in Chicago. That version reminds me of what I had in the 70's. The throwback is much better than HFCS but not as good as the Natural. I too think they have changed the throwback formula a few times or my memory is comparing to the Natural version.

I have a PHD friend at Harvard who has a colleague working on "mutations in humans caused by the increase amount of corn in our diets". His friendship with that person and their conversations has made him stop eating processed food entirely. He follows a raw diet now.

I don't think I could do it!

The grail for Dr Pepper aficionados is still Dublin Dr Pepper, still sweetened with Imperial Cane Sugar by the oldest and last bottler to use the original recipe. You don't see it often outside of its native Texas, although it can be ordered online. I want to say that it was slightly tastier than "heritage", but I didn't taste them side-by-side and my last Dublin was out of a glass bottle for which I paid a small fortune.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong thing, but I could swear that Ace Beverage carries Dublin Dr. Pepper.