Creme, Owner Tegist Alayew Reopen on 14th and Belmont Street in Columbia Heights - Closed

The menu looks totally revamped, though I think they're still experimenting with several new things, since the bartender told me last night to expect another new menu in 2 weeks. The wine list is also being redone. Last night I very much enjoyed my sauteed wild mushrooms with white truffle oil and manchego, and a braised pork shank on a mix of white and lima beans with bacon, done in sort of a baked-beans style (just a bit too sweet for my tastes). Finished the meal with a delicious blueberry financier, made in house. The rest of the menu looked great as well...can't wait to see the final version at the end of the month.

The menu has been changed at Creme cafe. I am doing a back to basic menu to reintroduce everyone to Creme's dinner. We do more than a good brunch. The menu can be found at www.cremedc.com

New wine list coming soon.

Come in and try us out.

-Orlando Hitzig

Chef

Creme Cafe

1322 U Street

Washington, DC

The menu has been changed at Creme cafe. I am doing a back to basic menu to reintroduce everyone to Creme's dinner. We do more than a good brunch. The menu can be found at www.cremedc.com

New wine list coming soon.

There's been no discussion about the new menu...has anyone been to try it? I haven't visited since my post above, but am thinking of stopping by this weekend, and would welcome any thoughts on what to try!

Had a marvelous dinner with another couple at Creme Cafe last night. On Fridays, they have a Latin jazz combo entertaining, which we enjoyed, but it does make it quite noisy. After we ordered, we were served good crusty bread with a spicy bean (I think) puree. We couldn't resist getting 2 orders of the Crabmeat Hush Puppies with Chipotle Remoulade. These are fantastic - crunchy and light, and the remoulade is a great accompaniment. The servings are more than plentiful. (One would have been ample for all of us - in order to leave room for the main courses to come!)

Which were: Diver scallops with shaved buttered Brussels sprouts, tomato compote, citrus reduction; Shrimp and grits with andouille sausage, shallots, sherry and creamy grits; Creme's Meat and potatoes, Boneless beef short ribs with garlic green beans and potato gratin; and Maryland jumbo lump crab cakes with caramelized onions, English peas, and stone mustard cream. I had the scallops which were beautifully cooked and very tasty. I did have some small tastes of my companions' food too. My husband had the crab cakes, which he enjoyed - they're full of lump crab and little filler. The little taste of grits I had was unbelievably creamy and the beef was falling-apart-tender and loaded with flavor.

We were going to the theater, so didn't have time to try dessert , and no space left in our stomachs for it either. Our server was excellent, the setting is attractive and comfortable, all in all a very enjoyable dining experience!

*Sigh* Creme Cafe has closed. This is sad news. I'm going to miss that coconut cake.

And this is what happens when people don't make phone calls:

Not closed.

In retrospect, this was a delightfully pissy little exchange.

It's closed!

It's open!

"Creme Cafe Closes "Ā¦."Ā by Jessica Sidman in the Washington City Paper

It's closed!

""Ā¦ With Plans To Relocate To 14th Street NW"ĀĀ by Jessica Sidman in the Washington City Paper

It's open!

Or "Ā¦ well ...

it's closed, but it's *going* to be open.

I think.

Interesting to read the history on this restaurant since 2005. Ā  At the bartending school we'll hear about different restaurants/clubs/bars from various grads over many years. Ā  The perspectives of employees; Ā good bad, all with the individual perspectives of the employee. Ā  Over the years we had heard of some "disruption". Ā  The "closing" and reopening in 2010 reminded me of that.

Good luck. Ā Its been years since I've dined at Creme, I'm sorry to say. Ā At one time it had about the best food on U Street. Ā Now the entire area is a food, dining and drinking bonanza.

In retrospect, this was a delightfully pissy little exchange.

It's closed!

It's open!

"Creme Cafe Closes "Ā¦."Ā by Jessica Sidman in the Washington City Paper

It's closed!

""Ā¦ With Plans To Relocate To 14th Street NW"ĀĀ by Jessica Sidman in the Washington City Paper

It's open!

Or "Ā¦ well ...

it's closed, but it's *going* to be open.

I think.

It is (reopen). The website is currently broken, but it reopened in Columbia Heights.