Wendy's, an Ohio-Based Fast Food Chain - SeanMike's Favorite, With Over 6,000 Outlets Worldwide

Ya know...

Of fast food joints, Wendy's usually was one of my favorites. The fries were bland but the only ones I'd regularly eat with ketchup. Whatever.

Now they have the new fries and - blech. They are salted all to heck and back. I can't eat them.

In fact, they're so salty that the burger tastes funny with them.

Sigh.

Just had to get that off my chest. Wendy's new fries suck.

Ya know...

Of fast food joints, Wendy's usually was one of my favorites. The fries were bland but the only ones I'd regularly eat with ketchup. Whatever.

Now they have the new fries and - blech. They are salted all to heck and back. I can't eat them.

Sigh.

I agree completely. I had them once a few weeks ago and they were beyond salty and had a weird texture. What was so wrong with the old fries?

And why are the fries in the hamburger discussion? :-) (Btw, this would be the third time that I can recall in their history of Wendy's tickering with their fries recipe. They are always ranked #3 with fries, behind McDs and BK and their folks are esp. concerned on this issue...)

Wendy's has been going downhill for several years now. I used to think it was the best of the ff hamburger joints and would look for one while traveling in strip mall land. Now I don't bother. The quality control has gone to hell. I think it started to fall apart about the time the old guy died.

Wendy's has been going downhill for several years now. I used to think it was the best of the ff hamburger joints and would look for one while traveling in strip mall land. Now I don't bother. The quality control has gone to hell. I think it started to fall apart about the time the old guy died.

The last time I went to Wendy's was a good 20 years ago, and the reason it was the last time was that my order of chili had exactly 2 pieces of ground beef in it. I shudder to think how things could have gone downhill from there...

Sigh.

I had my first batch of the new fries a couple of days ago in Vienna. They weren't salted enough! I don't think one can generalize that Wendy's new fries are too salty when salting is done at the store and varies widely from site to site. You would hope, and Wendy's would probably like, the salting ratio to be consistent at every store, it just ain't happenin'.

I had my first batch of the new fries a couple of days ago in Vienna. They weren't salted enough! I don't think one can generalize that Wendy's new fries are too salty when salting is done at the store and varies widely from site to site. You would hope, and Wendy's would probably like, the salting ratio to be consistent at every store, it just ain't happenin'.

Agreed.

My theory on the Wendy's fried potato topic is thus:

1. The new fries are cut thinner and cooked longer, thus crisping them

2. They leave the skins on (the "natural" cut, like girls who don't shave)

3. The salt was a fine powder, and now is a much larger grain cut. This can have the effect of seeming saltier as the larger grains stand on the tongue longer. But if the salt isn't added to begin with, it doesn't help much.

I think 1 and 3 make them taste/feel almost precisely like McDonalds, while #2 is really a marketing plow to make them seem 'specialer' than McDonalds, more like fries you'd buy on vacation.

I shouldn't eat them in any configuration.

In the late '50's we drove from Silver Spring to the first McDonald's in the D. C. area on Richmond Highway in Hybla Valley. In the mid '70's we drove to the first Wendy's, also on Richmond Highway but two miles north. In the late '80's we drove to Bailey's Cross Roads to the first Five Guys on route 7. Today our destination is Ray's Hellburger. Each has been better than the one before.

Having said this Wendy's-even then-was about the toppings on a double. It was never about the taste of the meat itself. But a Wendy's double was "juicier" - they even advertised it as this. Of course on the rare occasion when a friend would order a plain hamburger or double I cringed knowing how they would probably react. I never felt this way at Five Guys or Ray's. McDonald's? The original McDonald's used fresh hamburger and fresh potatoes sliced with the skin on. Still, McDonald's was as much about ketchup, mustard and a pickle as anything else. ("Forty five cents for a three course meal...at McDonald's") You could get a "dunk cup" for five cents with french fries which was a paper souffle cup of ketchup. (In the '90's you could get a dunk cup of mayonnaise in Belgium.) Today McDonald's tastes almost nothing like it did when it first opened here. Wendy's, though, I always thought attempted to capitalize on McDonald's going to frozen meat in the late '60's and frozen potatoes about the same time. Wendy's tasted "fresher" plus, like Burger King, you could add a lot of toppings which McDonald's didn't have.

Today, I don't think I've had a Wendy's or McDonald's hamburger in ten or more years.

Now, In-n-Out Burger is another matter....

Even though for some reason this thread says Wendy's is my favorite...(well...errr, the burgers themselves might still be mine for a fast food chain)...

I've had the fries now four different Wendy's I can think of - Courthouse, Lee Highway, Ashburn, and on a road trip - and all of them were way too salty.

I'm thinking it's just mostly crews still salting like they used to do with the old salt, and with the current salt (and mentioned bigger crystals) it's usually too much.

I'll probably just go with a baked potato next time. I still like the burgers better than McD's, BK, or even (honestly) Five Guys.

I'm thinking that Wendy's new saltier fries are better than they have ever been. Still not as good as McD's fries.

I don't know if they are still offering, but a week ago or so, I bought a "frosty-keychain card". It's a little frosty shaped piece of plastic you can show them all year long for a free (tiny) frosty with any other purchase. I'm considering the free frosty with the purchase of a small frosty will be my most common method as summer rolls around. Hey, I've got 2 kids!

oh yeah, it only cost a buck.

p.s. the chili is strangely enticing to me..I think it's the little packages of "hot sauce" that they never put in the bag, and you have to request...

I've noticed the new fries have less salt now compared to when they debuted. I guess all the complaining had them hold back - at least at the one I regularly go to. Lately they need more salt! They should have used sister-restaurant Arby's old "homestyle" fries. They were the best! Unfortunately, Arbys no longer offers them.

I've noticed the new fries have less salt now compared to when they debuted. I guess all the complaining had them hold back - at least at the one I regularly go to. Lately they need more salt! They should have used sister-restaurant Arby's old "homestyle" fries. They were the best! Unfortunately, Arbys no longer offers them.

Funny, I had a dirty little Wendy's splurge last weekend and found the new fries VERY salty. Don't worry though, I enjoyed all of them. It usually comes down to the person making them and how liberal they are with the shaker. I think they're an improvement from the original ones, but still don't come close to Popeyes or McDonalds fries.

And I still find Wendy's quality to be pretty good - no real noticeable lag in the sandwiches (I don't get the chili). For a fast food place, their milkshakes are pretty excellent (yes 'shakes' not 'frosties').

I'd give anything for them to bring back the Wendy's Superbar. Best. Garlic Bread. Ever.

Um, yes please! I have very vivid memories of eating Superbar as a child.

I can't speak to the new fries as I haven't been to Wendy's in a while, but the Spicy Chicken Sandwich will always be a favorite of mine. Wendy's has turned into our go-to fast food stop on road trips for this sandwich. Although the new combos they recently rolled out (with the half salad plus chili/potato/fries/jr bacon cburger/etc) are actually not bad. My salad with chicken, blue cheese, apples and craisins with a pomegranate vinaigrette was pretty tasty!

It's been fun following this thread. As a former employee of this venerable fat factory (or farm, judging from most of the clientele), I too retain a hankering for a good Wendy's double/bacon/extra cheese now and then. Better than 5 Guys in my opinion. As for salty fries, one trick that often works is to order your fries without salt. That usually means you get a fresh hot, crispy batch, then you can add as much salt as you want at the table.

An ex-girlfriend of mine used to get her spicy chicken sandwich with cheese, pickles, onions and mayo. She ate healthy all of the time, but she couldn't resist this, she got it maybe once a week. And, to be honest, that combinations was pretty damn good.

Did we used to date? :)

Seriously, that combination, subbing lettuce for the onions, is my most favorite item from Wendy's. It's been a LONG time since I had one, but I may have to check out the new fries in a combo meal with my favorite guilty pleasure...

I went to my local Wendy's last night to get some chili and see what the new fries were all about. Remembering Pizza Man's advice, I asked for the hot sauce, and one packet was nice in the chili. As for the fries, I liked them. Now, I am a self-confessed salt freak, so you have to take this with a grain of....whatever. Anyway, I noticed that the salt they use is a very fine grain, like a popcorn salt, which made for a nice even distribution over each fry, and may be a reason for others noticing the salt more in this new recipe.

Wendy's is fine for what it offers - a much better product than McDonald's (even post-Angus) with the options to be as healthy or *unhealthy* as you desire. I had worried in the wake of Dave Thomas' passing that they'd have turned themselves into something gaudy like a Carl's Jr/Hardee's clone (though the former seems to be a lot 'classier' than the latter), but they seem to have "kept the class." Also, despite occasional botched orders and forgotten items, I've never had anything unpalatable from a single Wendys*.

I am curious whether or not they'll go national with their "Hot 'n Juicy" line, though: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/11/10/wendys-new-daves-hot-n-juicy-cheeseburger-and-sea-salt-fri/

* this doesn't include the Wendy's in the MAC terminal on NAS Sigonella Sicily between the years of 1991 and 1993.

Wendy's is fine for what it offers - a much better product than McDonald's (even post-Angus) with the options to be as healthy or *unhealthy* as you desire. I had worried in the wake of Dave Thomas' passing that they'd have turned themselves into something gaudy like a Carl's Jr/Hardee's clone (though the former seems to be a lot 'classier' than the latter), but they seem to have "kept the class." Also, despite occasional botched orders and forgotten items, I've never had anything unpalatable from a single Wendys*.

I am curious whether or not they'll go national with their "Hot 'n Juicy" line, though: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/11/10/wendys-new-daves-hot-n-juicy-cheeseburger-and-sea-salt-fri/

* this doesn't include the Wendy's in the MAC terminal on NAS Sigonella Sicily between the years of 1991 and 1993.

I ate my first Wendy's hamburger in 1976 in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. It was spectacular--so much better than the other FF chains, and I continued to enjoy the burgers and then the salad bar. Then I began eating at Wendy's in other states. I realized that the farther I got from Wendy's HQ in suburban Columbus, the more food went downhill. I don't know if that is still true, because I haven't been to Wendy's in a very long time.

So, despite some fry-bashing going on in another thread...

I've been to Wendy's twice in the past week and a half. Both time the salt content on the fries has been much more reasonable - in fact, the first time I almost (but didn't) put more salt on them!

So good for that.

The fries still suck, though, always the downfall of Wendy's compared to McDonald's.

This explains how I can sit in a restaurant in Italy eating what I swear, for all the world, is frozen food. While the American at the table next to me moans as they chew.

In truth in thirty years of heavy travel around the U. S. there are countless smaller cities and towns where Olive Garden, Red Lobster and Outback are benchmarks. I can imagine when any of them first opened lines would form out the door.

In high school decades and decades ago a candidate for Montgomery Blair's Student Council campaigned that if elected his father would open Silver Spring's first McDonald's.

He lost. McDonald's opened anyway.

Speaking of "corporate benchmarks"...

When I used to commute between Richmond and Northern Virginia practically every weekend because I couldn't stand my Freshman and Sophomore roommates in undergrad (they became annoying - not endearing - boozers on the weekend), I had the occasion one day to stop at a Wendy's right off I-95 in Louisa County.  As I was standing on line to order, I looked over to the normal plaques which normally showcase stuff like "Manager of the Year" and the usually-framed Health Department certificate that *reasonably* guarantees you won't die of ptomaine eating there, and I saw three (evidently this Wendy's was a 'reigning champion') that floored me...

"Best Burger in Louisa County."

Anyone else annoyed by the current TV ad campaign that features a young redhead -- an overly obvious visual for the original Wendy's cartoon character logo -- always speaking as though her mouth is full and fake-chewing, and the burger she's fakingly chewing on is in pristine food-styling condition...?

Anyone else annoyed by the current TV ad campaign that features a young redhead -- an overly obvious visual for the original Wendy's cartoon character logo -- always speaking as though her mouth is full and fake-chewing, and the burger she's fakingly chewing on is in pristine food-styling condition...?

I could watch her all day.  And are you saying there's food somewhere on camera with her?

• Like 1

So how come red hair came into vogue when I was in my 40s? I grew up being called Carrot Top and Freckle-Face Strawberry, not to mention Rockville Pike. :rolleyes:

There's a difference between a hot red-headed lady and a ginger dude, dude.

:D :D :D

(One time I tried to dye my hair red in high school, but it just all soaked in and didn't look any different. :( )

• Like 1

I ate at a Wendy's in my Charlottesville to Garrett County to Wilmington and home epic holiday adventure.  Had a large chili.  Was normal chili, not a huge amount of calories and pretty filling.  Not bad when on an epic trip to families that want to fill you up with holiday cookies and all sorts of junk.