Some of Colorado's Best Brews- Where to Find

I'm relatively new to D.C. but my search in the real world and a quick search of these forums hasn't yielded much of anything so-- has anyone come across beers from any of these breweries in the D.C. area? I've seen GD in a few spots but the others... nope. Feel free to wax nostalgic over your experiences with Sawtooth, Maharaja, British cold-hopped, Yeti, etc. too.

Best way is to check each brewer's website. They usually list their regional distributors (for instance, Avery lists a distributor in Ft. Washington, MD and Sterling, VA, but none in DC proper). Then call the distributor and ask where to find the product. They're usually happy to help you find a restaurant or retail outlet.

I really enjoy some of the Left Hand brews (sawtooth, good juju, polestar) and keep returning to them as some of my go-to selections for home drinking.

I first tried them because as a left-hander I felt I had to give them a shot (similar to how as a high schooler I was at one point partial to Southpaw Ale when I didn't know any better.) But I digress.

Westover Market in Arlington almost always has a good selection of Left Hand six-packs, and I've had a few on tap at Pizzeria Orso as well.

Not sure if those are convenient to you, but I'm sure there are other places around DC.

I'm looking forward to the Good Juju spring seasonal coming out soon (anyone seen it yet?)

Best way is to check each brewer's website. They usually list their regional distributors (for instance, Avery lists a distributor in Ft. Washington, MD and Sterling, VA, but none in DC proper). Then call the distributor and ask where to find the product. They're usually happy to help you find a restaurant or retail outlet.

Ahh some legwork ehh? I was also thinking of asking a beer/wine shop if they could special order it (hopefully they don't require more than a case).

Avery is usually on tap at Liberty Tavern the past few times I have been there. I am not a big fan of Avery, but Left Hand is pretty good.

I thought I saw Boulder sold at local WFs in the area--I thought I saw them at the Clarendon and Tyson's locations.

If you are in DC, then Rodman's or Ace will be good places to check for those beers w/o calling the distributor, if you prefer not to do that.

Eta: Joe Riley - do you special order at Ace? I seem to recall so...

Edited by goodeats

I seem to remember drinking Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale at Toyland on H street this past weekend.

Lost Dog Cafe (in Virginia) has several Colorado brews for sale.

and I've bought Breckenridge product at the Van Ness Liquor store.

Some O'dells in DC would be sweet!

It might just be my imagination, but I think the Clarendon Whole Foods has cut back on their Avery selection. I think I saw Ellie's and something from the Beast Series, Mephistopheles maybe? Arrowine on Lee Highway usually has plenty of Avery in stock, more of the bombers than the six packs, but a pretty solid selection.

Run, run back to CO!!!!

I am only partly joking. Even New Belgium seemingly refuses to come any closer to this area than the NC border. Although Flying Dog is now a MD beer (I have a friend in CO who now boycotts it for moving). This area seems to be getting better, but still has a long way to go.

Have you looked at Wegmans or Total Wine? The TW selections vary by store. In my search for Stone's Lucky B*stard, the TW Fairfax and McLean stores had it. The others (Sterling is the closest to me) had no idea what i was even talking about. I cannot remember specifics, but you should go peruse these stores and see what's what.

I dont know where you live, but there are some decent places further out in MD. Gilly's in Rockville. Call them; the person with whom i have spoken in the past is very knowledgeable. And they seem keen on trying to get smaller beers. They had an Oskar Blues beer on tap recently (maybe still). In Frederick, Ye Old Spirit Shop and Westridge Liquors. Calling Westridge can be fruitless. it is owned by a Korean family. I think only the son speaks enough english to answer more than basic questions. Again, i cannot tell you if they would have the beers you are looking for, but both these places have good selections of beer. Beers and Cheers in Germantown is often touted, but i have found a lot of their beers to be grossly overpriced from what you would pay elsewhere.

i have a friend who lives in Howard County. it always seems he can easily find hard to find beers that i cannot find elsewhere. but i don't have any specific names to give you, sorry.

There is a liquor store on CT Ave, just inside the DC border. I am sorry, i cannot recall the name, and i haven't been there in several years. But they had a killer selection of beers back then. definitely the best i had ever seen in this area at that time. At the time, bought a bottle of Avery's The Beast 2004. that was the year of its highest alcohol content for that beer. and yes, it is basically that long since i have been there. too hard to get down into DC.

Also, calling the distributors can be an extremely frustrating experience. it was basically a waste of time when i was looking for the aforementioned Stone beer.

So I have either made Smokey and the Bandit type runs from KC or saved the real CO beer drinking for when i am in Denver.

I believe Left Hand is only distributed in VA. In Clarendon, both the Whole Foods and the nearby Best Cellars usually have a few of their brews. In DC, Chevy Chase Wine and Rodman's usually have Avery and Boulder.

Now if we could get Odell here...

The new and improved 21st Century Smokey and the Bandit run is your only hope, my friend.

The new and improved 21st Century Smokey and the Bandit run is your only hope, my friend.

When I'm back in Colorado, I ship a box of select bottles back to DC, so by the time I return home, I'll have some Odell, New Belgium, and Ska waiting for me (not to mention that you can find Deschutes and Russian River in Colorado!). Having just enjoyed a bottle of Woodcut No. 4 the other evening here in DC, I'm happy that I can have the occasional Odell on the east coast.

As for Left Hand, I've found that Westover Market in Arlington has a decent selection--I got some Fade to Black Vol. 2 there last month. I don't venture to NoVA very often (but certainly more often than I do to Longmont these days!) so when I'm there I stock up on Left Hand.

There is a liquor store on CT Ave, just inside the DC border. I am sorry, i cannot recall the name, and i haven't been there in several years. But they had a killer selection of beers back then. definitely the best i had ever seen in this area at that time.

Almost certainly Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits, for decades the proverbial Brickskeller of DC beer retailers.

When I'm back in Colorado, I ship a box of select bottles back to DC, so by the time I return home, I'll have some Odell, New Belgium, and Ska waiting for me (not to mention that you can find Deschutes and Russian River in Colorado!). Having just enjoyed a bottle of Woodcut No. 4 the other evening here in DC, I'm happy that I can have the occasional Odell on the east coast.

As for Left Hand, I've found that Westover Market in Arlington has a decent selection--I got some Fade to Black Vol. 2 there last month. I don't venture to NoVA very often (but certainly more often than I do to Longmont these days!) so when I'm there I stock up on Left Hand.

I live in the People's Republic of MoCo. You will be allowed nothing but what the county offers and like it!!!!

So no shipping to myself, unfortunately. I basically have one friend left living in DC. I dont think she would be all that happy to have a stream of boxes of beer and liquor (Stranahan's) coming to her.