San Antonio Bar and Grill, Three Area Locations

On Saturday, while visiting friends who live in the Brookland area of DC, we went to the San Antonio Bar and Grill at 3908 12th Street, NE. It claims to be Tex-Mex and there are the obvious burritos and tamales on the menu but it also includes quite a few Peruvian and Central American dishes. I had the chicken saltado, the one where the chicken is above fresh fries, and two companions had various versions of fajita, one beef, one vegetairan. Another companion did a hug slab of barbequed ribs. Although the place is not a destination restaurant, it is well decorated with an active bar, and the food is above average. More important, in the underserved Brookland area, with Colonel Brooks due to be torn down for condos shortly, it is a good place to eat for people near Catholic University.

My husband needed to arrange a place for an informal post-meeting dinner for a group of people in Brookland. Short of taking the metro someplace else, there are pretty slim pickings in the area. I dug around and found this thread. It worked for their purposes, though he said it was a little divier than he was expecting. He called ahead and they were able to accommodate the group and were willing to provide separate checks for 13 people. He ordered chiles rellenos and his verdict was that the food was "decent."

There are two Northern Virginia locations as well: San Antonio Bar and Grill.

My husband needed to arrange a place for an informal post-meeting dinner for a group of people in Brookland. Short of taking the metro someplace else, there are pretty slim pickings in the area. I dug around and found this thread. It worked for their purposes, though he said it was a little divier than he was expecting. He called ahead and they were able to accommodate the group and were willing to provide separate checks for 13 people. He ordered chiles rellenos and his verdict was that the food was "decent."

There are two Northern Virginia locations as well: San Antonio Bar and Grill.

i used to go to the location in the crystal city underground every once in a while. Though i haven't been in probably 5 years, i remember their spinach enchiladas being pretty good, a good amount of spinach, yet still tasty.

On Saturday, while visiting friends who live in the Brookland area of DC, we went to the San Antonio Bar and Grill at 3908 12th Street, NE. It claims to be Tex-Mex and there are the obvious burritos and tamales on the menu but it also includes quite a few Peruvian and Central American dishes. I had the chicken saltado, the one where the chicken is above fresh fries, and two companions had various versions of fajita, one beef, one vegetairan. Another companion did a hug slab of barbequed ribs. Although the place is not a destination restaurant, it is well decorated with an active bar, and the food is above average. More important, in the underserved Brookland area, with Colonel Brooks due to be torn down for condos shortly, it is a good place to eat for people near Catholic University.

The owner is actually Bolivian.