New Year's Eve 2005

DC in DC

Yes, I know that New Years is one of the worst nights to go out, but I have friends coming into town and I don't feel like cooking. Any thoughts? Last year, I know Indique did a reasonably-priced dinner that we thought was a lot of fun, but one of the people does not like Indian food. I need to find a budget place that must also be vegetarian-friendly. Italian would be good-- Dino? Notti Bianche?

Thanks!

Both Vermilion & Evening Star Cafe will be offering reasonably-priced price fixe menus for New Year's Eve. You might want to specify that one or more of your party would prefer vegetarian offerings. Tallula is once again doing their NYE cocktail bash ($85 inclusive for heavy apps all night - cash bar). More details on all three restaurants' NYE offerings will be available online soon.

Mr P and I, being sentimental ol' coots, actually like to celebrate a special occasion at a nice restaurant. But this particular anniversay is on New Year's Eve. So here's the question: are there any restaurants out there that do a really nice dinner on Dec 31 without all the champagne and kitsch and such? Is there a place we can go to celebrate that won't have a special menu, but rather a first-class, low-key, food-focused dinner? Or do I need to wake up and smell the coffee?

Mr P and I, being sentimental ol' coots, actually like to celebrate a special occasion at a nice restaurant.  But this particular anniversay is on New Year's Eve.  So here's the question: are there any restaurants out there that do a really nice dinner on Dec 31 without all the champagne and kitsch and such?  Is there a place we can go to celebrate that won't  have a special menu, but rather a first-class, low-key, food-focused dinner?  Or do I need to wake up and smell the coffee?

I don't know. Two years in the front of the house have turned me permanently away from dining out on December 31st and February 14th.

What about an early reservation at Firefly or Corduroy? They'll probably have a special menu but they are so solid you'll be safe and you'll have a nice dinner before the whole staff loses their minds over the crowds.

That said, we stay in on NYE. We'll go out on the 30th. We stay in on Valentine's Day and go out the 13th or the 15th.

Jennifer

My wife and I and another couple are going to Charleston-on Friday night. On Saturday we drink at home with neighbors and good friends. This is the link to a post of mine from '04 about Valentine's Day at the Prime Rib. We've attempted to celebrate several New Year's Eves at the Prime Rib over the years with similar results. Today, after several DECADES of experience we go out on the Saturday or Friday night closest to New Year's Eve and sit home on New Year's Eve itself, drinking with friends in our neighborhood.

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/32271.html

With all due respect to the restaurants who depend on this Holiday, we have learned that it is NOT a night for us to be on the road or imbibe outside of our house. We toast (repeatedly) all that brave the elements on the first of the year!

The last couple of years we have had a "geezers'" New Year's Eve; Everybody eats early, either at home or somewhere close by, and then we gather in one apartment starting around 11 pm. We drink some bubbly, watch the ball drop on TV, and are all home in our beds no later than 1 am.

Personally, I would rather roast some racks of lamb, have some good wine with good friends and then consider the evening a success.

Anybody EXPECTING NYE to be magical is doomed to disappointment.

Mr P and I, being sentimental ol' coots, actually like to celebrate a special occasion at a nice restaurant.  But this particular anniversay is on New Year's Eve.  So here's the question: are there any restaurants out there that do a really nice dinner on Dec 31 without all the champagne and kitsch and such?  Is there a place we can go to celebrate that won't  have a special menu, but rather a first-class, low-key, food-focused dinner?  Or do I need to wake up and smell the coffee?

Buy a bottle of champagne and a couple ounces of caviar and stay the heck home. You'll have a much happier night.

Maestro Restaurant has a New Year's Eve fixed price dinner that includes a complimentary champagne toast. There's an early-bird rate for diners who are in early and finish by 9. It will surely be a memorable menu, and the early seating would likely avoid the midnight silliness. I'm sure Emanuele would be able to tell callers what the general atmosphere is like for that event.

Anybody EXPECTING NYE to be magical is doomed to disappointment.

I don't know, I've had a few that were. Mostly because I was at home with great food, lots of good wine and booze, and a dozen or so close friends.

NYE is my favorite holiday - no family obligations, no gifts, just enjoyment and a fresh new year full of surprises and opportunities. We haven't done much the last few years, but now that the kids are a little older we'd like to get back to having a party.

I don't know, I've had a few that were.  Mostly because I was at home with great food, lots of good wine and booze,  and a dozen or so close friends. 

NYE is my favorite holiday - no family obligations, no gifts, just enjoyment and a fresh new year full of surprises and opportunities.  We haven't done much the last few years, but now that the kids are a little older we'd like to get back to having a party.

Heather dear, I think you've made my point. The people I know who were most disappointed in NYE were those who went to one of the hotel celebrations where they didn't really know anybody else and the festivities seemed forced. Good food, good drink and good friends is the whole recipe for a wonderful NYE.

I'm just guessing here, but on New Year's Eve, wouldn't all of the A-team and most of the B-team restaurant staff be off celebrating?  And this year, isn't NYE on a Sunday evening?

On New Year's Eve, every restaurant employee in the city will be at work, it comes with the territory. Of course, for FOH types it's usually a pretty sweet payday. And, if you happen to work in a bar, no one has to go home alone.

Most cooks, waiters and hosts are going to be at work on NYE.

I think the best policy for NYE dining is to go out with a mindset of having a good time in a good company, and not expecting a culinary feat. Why? Because on that date, you are going to be sitting cheek to jowl with two hundred other people just like you, and the kitchen will be in massive assembly line mode, and the waiters are going to be in a mass production service mode, and no one will have time to really fuss over you, so if you expect a magical night of Michelin-style cooking and gracious service, you will be disappointed. But go to booze it up and kick back, and you'll be fine.

Last New Year's Eve we went to Andale. The chef has a few specials in addition to the regular menu. I had a lamb shank that was excellent. My wife thought I was going to pick up the bone and gnaw the meat off of it. Truthfully, the thought did cross my mind, but it was hot and I didn't want to burn my fingers. I'd say they meet the criteria of serious food and good atmosphere on NYE.

Circle Bistro will obviously be open. We're offering an a la carte as well as a special tasting menu based on lobster for 65 dollars. It's five courses it will be good.

"I'm with Tom" regular prices all the way around

Edited by brendanc

Dino is going the prix fixe route. We are offering an early seating (reservations available from 5pm until 7pm) choice of 2 menus, either $60 or 75 and a late seating (reservations after 7:30pm) menu for $85. Wine pairings will be available.

Please check out our website for the actual menus.

Happily, I was able to secure a NYE reservation at Corduroy via OpenTable.com. I was asked, though, to provide a credit card to secure it. I understand it in principle, HOWEVER the site doesn't tell you what you're agreeing to vis a vis the card (e.g., deposit will be applied to the card now, etc.).

I don't have any interest in losing this res or canceling it, but I did think it would be nice to know the score (I plan to call Corduroy for info, unless the fine staff would like to post info).

Happy Holidays!

Happily, I was able to secure a NYE reservation at Corduroy via OpenTable.com.  I was asked, though, to provide a credit card to secure it.  I understand it in principle, HOWEVER the site doesn't tell you what you're agreeing to vis a vis the card (e.g., deposit will be applied to the card now, etc.). 

I don't have any interest in losing this res or canceling it, but I did think it would be nice to know the score (I plan to call Corduroy for info, unless the fine staff would like to post info).

Happy Holidays!

here is what we do for NYE :

we serve a la carte menu but it will be a little different than our usual menu.

we ask CC info to confirm your RSVP , but when you give us that info we dont make any charge right away , rather we wait. we wait untill the RSVP night.

If you dont show up for your RSVP we charge 40$ per person. If you need to cancel your RSVP , you need to do it in advance of 2 days by 5pm of your RSVP. later than that day we charge you 40$ again.

When you do show up , we serve you one of the best meals in town with the best service we can provide.

Further info ? please let me know :)

I'm doing the prix fixe dinner at Vegetate. I think the 6 p.m. seating is filled, but I bet the 9 p.m. seating still has room. This is the site, Vegetate, and this is the menu:

New Year's Eve Dinner at Vegetate

We are offering a four course dinner with vegetarian and vegan options. Seatings are 6pm and 9pm, and the cost is $45 per person. Call 202-232-4585 to make reservations. The New Year's Eve menu is also available in our private dining room, which seats up to 14 people.

New Year's Eve Menu

AMUSE

Chickpea Flan with roasted Jerusalem artichokes and a spicy basil puree (vegan)

SECOND

Salad of Grilled Radiccio and a winter root vegetable s'formata (vegan)

or

Truffled Petite White Bean Soup with herb oil and confetti (vegan)

THIRD

Goat Cheese Stuffed Potato Rosti with roasted shallots and a fricassee of wild mushrooms in a mushroom jus

or

Braised Tofu Tower with crispy seaweed, escarole and fresh soft noodles in a carrot-miso broth (vegan)

or

Baked Penne with caramelized onions, braised leeks and fennel confit with an herbed cream sauce and arugula (vegan)

DESSERT

Cornmeal Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a cherry coulis and pineapple chip

or

Banana Two Ways, Cinammon crusted and brulee baby red bananas with a chipotle-chocolate dipping sauce (vegan)

For those among us who braved restaurants on New Year's Eve, how'd it go?

[Don would probably prefer that we post comments in the appropriate restaurant's thread.]

After getting through the craziness at the Safeway, I decided not to cook and wanted to go to San Marco, since this could be the last NYE that they are open. The had the regular menu, but with fewer selections (a la Corduroy?). That suited me just fine because the Agnolotti with Spinach and Walnut Sauce was on offer. I had the Cesar Salad and Craig had the creamy Mushroom Soup. I got a taste of that soup and it was quite wonderful. Craig had the Veal Scallopini.

We shared a slice of the panettone and My Goodness that was nice. We had a carafe of the house white wine and got home in plenty of time to watch the ball drop.

I'm gonna miss that place something fierce.

For those among us who braved restaurants on New Year's Eve, how'd it go?

[Don would probably prefer that we post comments in the appropriate restaurant's thread.]

So, I am going to post my evening here first and then it can be moved if appropriate...

We went to Iota for New Years Eve which was great for me because it is in my neighborhood. Better for me because the food is soo good and reasonably priced. They had a limited menu that still offered plenty of choices for the diner. One soup (a play on onion soup), two salads (one spinach and one mixed greens), two appetizers (crabcakes and a fall roasted veggie wonton thing), five entree choices (two fish entrees, one veggie entree, one pork entree and a filet) and three desserts (a creme brulee, a poached pear and a deconstructed cheesecake sundae). I was impressed with the menu.

We had the crabcakes and a green salad. The crabcakes were all crab. The sauces were really flavorful. I did not like the salad because I forgot to order the dressing on the side. I don't use much dressing so on the side is always better.

For our main courses we split the salmon dish and the filet. The salmon was perfectly cooked, not sure if it was poached or baked. The sides were a beet salad and a potato latke. Both great renditions. The filet was yummy. For someone who just started eating red meat again, I have jumped in with both feet!!! The filet was served with crispy onions and roasted new potatoes. The onions were so good.

Between our main course and dessert we had a port. It was my first port and it was good. I can see developing a taste for ports the same way I like rieslings in the summer... nice alternative to dessert in the summer (ports for the winter).

But considering it was New Years, we had desserts. The creme brulee was very light and though called an eggnog brulee, we couldn't taste it. The chocolate cheesecake sundae was also light, and really chcocolately enough. Not a huge cheesecake fan but it was good.

I have decided that Iota is a more rustic version of Corduroy. That is the quality of the food is as good as Corduroy but served in a less formal manner because it is a restaurant attached to a music venue.

Happy New Year....