Sign in to follow this  
SeanMike

Deshi Spice, in the old Yorktown Bistro Space - Bangladeshi food on Lee Highway in Arlington - Closed

A sign in the window is announcing that something called Deshi Spice is coming soon.

I saw that yesterday - Bangladeshi food.

I have a number of Bangali coworkers, so I'll be interested to see what it's like.

I saw that yesterday - Bangladeshi food.

I have a number of Bangali coworkers, so I'll be interested to see what it's like.

It would not surprise me at all if this were owned by the same people who own the nearby Bangla Bazar.

It opened this week. Haven't been in yet, but there are definitely people eating there!

i have eaten there 2 or 3 times. they have some of the standard mumbai standards, and they also have a number of Bangladesh dishes. most include fish, and are special order, or weekend. last friday, early on, i had one of these:

BHUNA KHICHURI

Cooked with beef on the bone and basmati rice, medium spice with many types of lentils

i was extremely pleased with it. the place is just around the corner from virginia hospital center, so whenever i visit there, i plan to visit deshi spice.

also had had a mango iced tea. it's worth the price of admission.

http://deshispice.com/

Yelp reports this place closed as of 9/29. My drive by shows of this Shopping Center, the only surviving places are: Saran (Veggie) Indian, Caribbean Grill, and Thai Thai. It looks sad otherwise. What happened?!?!

Yelp reports this place closed as of 9/29. My drive by shows of this Shopping Center, the only surviving places are: Saran (Veggie) Indian, Caribbean Grill, and Thai Thai. It looks sad otherwise. What happened?!?!

That's too bad. I remember writing Tim Carman shortly after he wrote this piece about Deshi Spice. This piece had inspired me to order carryout, and I'd gotten an exotic, very boney, river fish (two different ones, now that I think about it) that's extremely common in Bangladesh. It was fascinating, frustrating (picking through all the bones), and very rewarding.

I saw what almost looked like a family going in and out of there yesterday as I dropped off my dry cleaning across the street. Perhaps there'll be something new moving in there...it's still got all the Deshi Spice signage, though.