SeanMike

Metro 29 Diner, Lee Highway in Arlington - Owner Peter Bota's American Diner with Chef Nick Athanasiou

4 hours ago, DaveO said:

I described the coffee as "mediocre or worse"  Don described it as "pretty awful'.  Mediocre is being generous.  Using the adjective "pretty" with awful is also being generous. 

BAD COFFEE.--imho

My idea of thermoses was fantasy.  Although I used to bring in nearby Starbucks coffee to a restaurant I frequented.  I knew the owner very well.  While I liked much about the restaurant the coffee was terrible.  We discussed it.  He told me to go to the Starbucks. (I might have brought him some Starbucks) I used to do that and transfer the coffee into one of his mugs.  For me at least, that is a one in a thousand type of experience.  I wouldn't do it elsewhere.

But while I'll definitely return to Metro 29 for breakfasts or brunches....that is lousy coffee.

Man. I haven't been to the Metro 29 probably since I changed jobs in 2008. I used to be a semi-regular for lunch, as I could make 2-3 meals out of any of their lunch dishes. The coffee sucked then. Hard to believe it still sucks in this coffee-crazed day and age. But even by diner standards, it sucked.

When people talk about sneaking in Starbucks because the coffee there sucks . . . The coffee there must suck!

is serving lousy coffee (does it come with free refills?) a way to discourage squatters?  

14 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

When people talk about sneaking in Starbucks because the coffee there sucks . . . The coffee there must suck!

is serving lousy coffee (does it come with free refills?) a way to discourage squatters?  

Oh it sucks. Yes to the refills. It would take a normal person quite a while to finish some of their platters, so there's no issue with squatting.

Reminds one of the old joke about bad food and large portions except here the food is pretty good. Only the coffee is subpar.

• Like 1