On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

for those interested in doing a top shelf bourbon tasting at my house in Adams Morgan please sent me an e-mail at jpschust@gmail.com to coordinate.

This is what we will have to pull from for the tastings:

Maker's Mark (ok,not top shelf, but good for comparison)

Knob Creek (see Maker's note)

Bulleit

Hirsch 16 year

Black Maple Hill 16 (I believe this is the vintage offhand, but I'm going off memory here)

Vintage 23

Bookers

Bakers

Woodford Reserve

There will be some others as well (I've got to leave more than a few surprises!)

Cheers,

Jonny

Is anyone in the downtown area up for an early lunch Wednesday? Does anybody want to see their picture in the Washingtonian?

I'm not exactly sure why, but the Washingtonian will be sending a photographer to Restaurant Kolumbia on Wednesday the 29th, at about 11:30. Here's your chance to be famous!

Well, OK, maybe not. But I think Jamie would like to ensure that the bar area looks lively. Personally, I'd love another shot at the awesome Philadelphia Bob sandwich, and if some photographer happens to point a camera in my direction, well, that's his/her problem.

Anybody interested?

Adam

Friday is almost here (well, for everybody but Don...for him, Friday hit a couple of minutes ago.) There is movement afoot for a dr.com HH at Restaurant Kolumbia tomorrow. Probably earlier rather than later. If you have never been to a dr.com happy hour, please come! We'll be the ones meticulously working our way through the charcuterie board.

Hellish January column fff (finally fucking finished), pretty much.

Donny Rocks is going to be drinking well tonight, my brethren!

If anyone sees me in a gutter at 3 AM, just throw a blanket on top of me.

I know the night's still young but have we had any spottings of young Donny? Anyone check the bathroom at Timberlakes?

Hellish January column fff (finally fucking finished), pretty much.

Donny Rocks is going to be drinking well tonight, my brethren!

If anyone sees me in a gutter at 3 AM, just throw a blanket on top of me.

Dingo? It's prolly best to wait 24 hours after filing before declaring war on your liver. Your editor might have more questions.

Friday is almost here (well, for everybody but Don...for him, Friday hit a couple of minutes ago.) There is movement afoot for a dr.com HH at Restaurant Kolumbia tomorrow. Probably earlier rather than later. If you have never been to a dr.com happy hour, please come! We'll be the ones meticulously working our way through the charcuterie board.

I'm more than likely in, at least for a little while. It'll be my first dr.com HH :-)

Alcohol and cured meats!!! Count me in!

It's finally here (anybody else think it would never come?) Come to Kolumbia and watch some of us drown our sorrows in meat :P

This Thursday, Dec 7th, the Christmas Tree lighting will occur. Every year, as my husband and I sit in traffic, I say to myself "next year, I will note the date and stay downtown!" (Last year it took nearly an hour to get from 19th to 15th on L Street :P )

So, now that I've finally remembered to note the date, is anyone else plan on being stuck downtown waiting for traffic to let up?

I'm trying to find a place to walk to for dinner, without spending too much $, to wait out the mess. While Circle Bistro and FF come to mind as being close enough to where we park the car, they are a bit too far for my husband, since he'll have to hike from 15th and L.

Restaurant Kolumbia is one possibility. Anyone up for this? Other suggestions also welcome!

This Thursday, Dec 7th, the Christmas Tree lighting will occur. Every year, as my husband and I sit in traffic, I say to myself "next year, I will note the date and stay downtown!" (Last year it took nearly an hour to get from 19th to 15th on L Street :D )

So, now that I've finally remembered to note the date, is anyone else plan on being stuck downtown waiting for traffic to let up?

I'm trying to find a place to walk to for dinner, without spending too much $, to wait out the mess. While Circle Bistro and FF come to mind as being close enough to where we park the car, they are a bit too far for my husband, since he'll have to hike from 15th and L.

Restaurant Kolumbia is one possibility. Anyone up for this? Other suggestions also welcome!

What about Montsouris? (20th and P St.?) I would be happy to explore their menu more fully. :lol: On the other hand, 12th & K wouldn't be such a hike for your DH. That would be, of course, Corduroy. :P

Then there is Stoney's in the 1400 block of P Street.

Is anyone else plan on being stuck downtown waiting for traffic to let up?

--stuff snipped--

Other suggestions also welcome!

I won't be able to make it on December 7, but some other suggestions (closer to 15th and L): Nage? Beacon Bar & Grill?

for those interested in doing a top shelf bourbon tasting at my house in Adams Morgan please sent me an e-mail at jpschust@gmail.com to coordinate.

This is what we will have to pull from for the tastings:

Maker's Mark (ok,not top shelf, but good for comparison)

Knob Creek (see Maker's note)

Bulleit

Hirsch 16 year

Black Maple Hill 16 (I believe this is the vintage offhand, but I'm going off memory here)

Vintage 23

Bookers

Bakers

Woodford Reserve

There will be some others as well (I've got to leave more than a few surprises!)

Cheers,

Jonny

For those that have contacted me, you all are getting in at this point- we are just working on setting a date. I've got a few more spaces to give, though. When I have a date I will let you all know.

Those of you who work downtown should beware of the White House Christmas tree lighting this evening. It is usually the worst non-weather related traffic day of the year. I'll be waiting it out at the bar at FF.

Whoops, I now am informed that FF has a "buy out" tonight, so I guess I'll have to find another venue. Perhaps RK.

I was trying to plan in advance this time!

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=16&st=2547#

This Thursday, Dec 7th, the Christmas Tree lighting will occur. Every year, as my husband and I sit in traffic, I say to myself "next year, I will note the date and stay downtown!" (Last year it took nearly an hour to get from 19th to 15th on L Street sad.gif )

Sorry, you chimed in too late for me this time. The cold weather will definitely be a deterrent--we're trying to go somewhere that is about the same length walk for each of us, and have come up with either Hanks Oyster Bar, or McCormick and Schmick's (whom I believe has a happy hour menu for $1.95)

H-H-H-Happy Hour at RTC?
I don't know. It may take some arm twisting. :P

Just need to go home and change my shirt first.

Question for the day -- Should I be scared that an RTC employee told me that people have walked in and asked where I was?

Well, my wife relayed the information to me. She said their food was inedible, steak came out pink. When they asked to send it back the waiter and manager were both rude to them and they only offered a free dessert in apology.
Mike, notice that the postings on this website are generally first person accounts. Third party information does not add very much to the discussion of a restaurant. For example, how was the food inedible? Was it overcooked, salty, covered in filth?

Steak came out pink? Well as a recent born again carnivore that is how steak is supposed to be served especially when it is high quality meat.

Mike, I would never defend a restaurant just because I like it but your comment does not add anything to a discussion about the restaurant. Ask your wife's friend to post, and you should try the restaurant so that you can post first hand.

What I find particularly odd is that you have only posted in this thread. Once to inquire about the opening of the restaurant, then these posts. Odd.

Mike, notice that the postings on this website are generally first person accounts. Third party information does not add very much to the discussion of a restaurant. For example, how was the food inedible? Was it overcooked, salty, covered in filth?

Steak came out pink? Well as a recent born again carnivore that is how steak is supposed to be served especially when it is high quality meat.

Mike, I would never defend a restaurant just because I like it but your comment does not add anything to a discussion about the restaurant. Ask your wife's friend to post, and you should try the restaurant so that you can post first hand.

What I find particularly odd is that you have only posted in this thread [sic]. Once to inquire about the opening of the restaurant, then these posts. Odd.

Why is it odd? I got a reply notification as I had subscribed to the thread and it reminded me about this experience I heard about. It turned us off from deciding to try the restaurant out. I wanted to post the feedback as maybe it was an exception and someone might try to convince me to still give the place a shot.

Btw, pink steak is cooked more on the rare side I think.

Well, my wife relayed the information to me. She said their food was inedible, steak came out pink. When they asked to send it back the waiter and manager were both rude to them and they only offered a free dessert in apology.
Do you know how they asked to have it cooked? Pink steak doesn't seem to be out of the realm of decency. If it had come out gray that's a whole 'nother thing.

Rude service is rude service, however.