On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Thursday night, a few of us are going to see cucas87's brother Jon Regen ( http://www.jonregen.com) play at Blues Alley http://www.bluesalley.com 1073 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Tel: (202) 337-4141) Jon (Piano/Vocals) is joined by Jonathan Sanborn - (Bass) and Sunny Jain (drums). I will be there for both sets (8 & 10pm), but other DR members seemed to be coming mainly to the 8pm set. We will be at Birreria Pizzeria beforehand for some pre-show munchies and beer!

Singer/songwriter/pianist Jon Regen returns with
LET IT GO
, a collection of piano pop gems along the lines of his previous record Almost Home. Regen opens up his trio sound this time, adding guitarist Andy Summers to the excellent
"Close to Me"
and
"Finding My Way Back to Me"
and inviting singers Martha Wainwright and Kami Thompson and cellist Julia Kent to join him on a few tunes. But it's Regen's own writing and crooning that carry the day here:
"Better Days,"
"Disappear"
and the title tune make the most impact with no "name" assistance whatsoever. Regen's proven himself a master of jazz and pop on separate records; now it's time for him to rejoin the two sides of his personality and sew a truly distinctive place for himself in the music tapestry.

Michael Toland - HIGH BIAS

Any other takers for Ratatouille, Friday, the 29th, at the Regal Gallery Place Stadium 14, for the 4:10 show?

Gubeen and I are interested in seeing it on the 29th...same time prefs ('cause 4:10 leaves plenty of chow time afterwards!) Who else is in?

Thursday night, a few of us are going to see cucas87's brother Jon Regen ( http://www.jonregen.com) play at Blues Alley http://www.bluesalley.com 1073 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Tel: (202) 337-4141) Jon (Piano/Vocals) is joined by Jonathan Sanborn - (Bass) and Sunny Jain (drums). I will be there for both sets (8 & 10pm), but other DR members seemed to be coming mainly to the 8pm set. We will be at Birreria Pizzeria beforehand for some pre-show munchies and beer!

Singer/songwriter/pianist Jon Regen returns with
LET IT GO
, a collection of piano pop gems along the lines of his previous record Almost Home. Regen opens up his trio sound this time, adding guitarist Andy Summers to the excellent
"Close to Me"
and
"Finding My Way Back to Me"
and inviting singers Martha Wainwright and Kami Thompson and cellist Julia Kent to join him on a few tunes. But it's Regen's own writing and crooning that carry the day here:
"Better Days,"
"Disappear"
and the title tune make the most impact with no "name" assistance whatsoever. Regen's proven himself a master of jazz and pop on separate records; now it's time for him to rejoin the two sides of his personality and sew a truly distinctive place for himself in the music tapestry.

Michael Toland - HIGH BIAS

I'm coming to the 8 pm set. I probably won't be able to make it to BP, though. See you guys later!

Everyone participating in any future DR.com movie outing needs to be well-versed in the Marco Polo game: one calls out Marco to which the others reply Polo and as such give up their positioning by the use of their voice making it easier for the person to go in the right direction.

In our case the call would be Don; response Rockwell. Some folks ignore a shout-out in a darken movie theater. ;) I'm not naming names... you know who you are. Hmpf!

Any other takers for Ratatouille, Friday, the 29th, at the Regal Gallery Place Stadium 14, for the 4:10 show?

I'm planning to try for a quick dinner at the bar of Circle Bistro tonight. I should be arriving between 6:30 and 7pm, hopefully closer to 6:30. Not trying to compete with other get-togethers, it's just close to my friend's place and I would enjoy company if anybody wants to come.

66 hot dogs in 12 mins. unbelievable... one every 10.9 seconds.

Check out the I.F.O.C.E. website:

Eating Records

1 1/2 gallons of chili in 10 minutes anyone? 21 baseball sized matzos in under 6 minutes? The gastrointestinal repercussions must be staggering...

17 lbs of cow brains in 15 mins? WTF?

66 hot dogs in 12 mins. unbelievable... one every 10.9 seconds.

Having grown up near the original Nathan's, this is an annual topic of much discussion in my family.

66 hot dogs - with the buns!- bogles my mind. Over 18000 calories. Close to two pounds of fat.

How is this possible?

I've decided to do the lickety-split lunch at Eve today--for the very first time! In fact, this will be my first trip to Eve. ;)

Anyone care to join me? I should arrive around 12:30 or so, but I've got a lot of flexibility today and can arrive earlier or later than 12:30.

Anything on the menu right now that I shouldn't miss?

kobayashidefeatschestnumx0.jpg

Science of Speed Eating [TV-G]

Sunday, July 15, 2007, at 11A

From hot dog-eating contests to oyster-gulping gorge fests, competitive eating is made for the oversized appetite. But how do speed eaters hold such immense amounts of food, and what happens to their bodies when they do? Now, NGC bites into the gut-wrenching world of competitive eating as doctors examine a competitive eaters stomach. Follow along with three of the worlds top competitors as they devour their way through the professional speed eating circuit.

Exactly -- great meatballs ;)

BTW Samuelsson also is the chef (or at least was on record as being the chef the last time I stayed there) at the Hotel Alex in Manhattan.

I have no idea why this got moved to the On-a-Whim thread....

However, after I get my ears lowered in Georgetown later this afternoon, I plan to go spread sweetness and light at Mendocino

[barry, et al, consider yourselves warned].

Tomorrow--Tuesday--I'll be heading out to the Lounge at Citronelle around 7pm. Anyone care to join me?
That sounds really good, but unfortunately too late for me :angry: I'll be at the Black Rooster for a half-price Black Angus burger in about 5 minutes...

Does anyone else think that the mess on the Red Line is designed to get more people to stay downtown for dinner tonight???

I offered to come in, have dinner, and then drive Mr. BLB home but he declined. His new theory is to take the Red Line to Silver Spring and then bus from there to Shady Grove. I'm betting he takes a detour to Ray's....

Hope everyone finds someplace cool to ride out the chaos!!!

Okay, so who's doing what tonight?

Tonight I went out and had a great cheese course, housemade sausages, fried risotto balls, bacon wrapped figs, and pulled pork confit sandwiches, followed by a wee dram of single-malt.

Unfortunately (for you) you will not be able to chase down this meal, as I dined at agm and NotQuickDraw's house. :angry:B)

Tonight I went out and had a great cheese course, housemade sausages, fried risotto balls, bacon wrapped figs, and pulled pork confit sandwiches, followed by a wee dram of single-malt.

Unfortunately (for you) you will not be able to chase down this meal, as I dined at agm and NotQuickDraw's house. :angry:B)

I was going to guess EatBar. Sounds exactly like their menu (and delicious)!

Funny you mention that - agm definitely mentioned EatBar as the inspiration for at least a couple of those courses!

Nathan Anda (Chef at Tallula and EatBar) is a good friend of mine and a true culinary talent. I can see his influences from a mile away!

Makes you feel great while you're eating...and bad while you're sweating the next day at the gym. :angry:

I had already been thinking about bacon-wrapped figs, and then somebody posted a link to the recipe for the EatBar version in the figs thread in the shopping and cooking forum, so I tried it. It's a hard thing to admit, but I think I actually preferred the figs (dried, reconstituted with chicken stock and huge amounts of butter) without the bacon. I found a recipe for the risotto balls earlier this year that worked beautifully on my first attempt, and made me think the difficulty of good risotto was overblown; this time around it provided plenty of challenge and didn't turn out as well. Oddly enough, although I've enjoyed many of the items on the EatBar menu, I've never had either the figs or the risotto balls. I guess I'll just have to go back.

I'll be at the bar at Corduroy tonight around 6:30, having a birthday drink. Please feel free to join me. I'm a few days late, but it's been one heck of a week or month or year, depending on how you look at it. :angry:

(I know. I should change my screen name back to Monique DC).

I see that it's JPW's birthday. Happy B'Day, JPW! Where will you be whimming?

I see that it's JPW's birthday. Happy B'Day, JPW! Where will you be whimming?
Probably just on my back deck with a bottle of bubbly that a recent dinner guest was kind enough to bring for me. Nutty Buddy's taking me out for a big dinner tomorrow.

In an attempt to remind her tastebuds of what real food tastes like, Laniloa will be making a special guest appearance tonight (Friday) at Corduroy @ 6. Come join us to see the magical powers of Chef Power's soup in action as Laniloa remembers what non-chain food tastes like. :blink: