On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

I had a packet of Lipton Hearty Chicken Cup-a-Soup for lunch. I'm like the cold shower of reality for this thread.

But, I'm trying for Thai Square (or maybe Panjshir if TS is as crowded as I expect) tonight, so maybe I can report something interesting.

On my final night of freedom for the conceivable future, is there any possible reason I shouldn't go downtown right now, and begin strolling from bar to bar?
No reason at all that I can think of ;).

Also, the difference between "molding" and "moulding," the former being something you definitely don't want to find at a restaurant (unless the steaks are dry aged).

Man, you guys are harsh. I have no clue what that website is or who writes it, but just in case that poor soul stumbles through here: (i) Surely "dinning" is a typo, given that the rest of the writing doesn't betray general illiteracy; and (ii) "molding" is how I've always spelled the word that refers to decorative wood, and "define:molding" on Google bears me out.

ETA: I wrote this message after only a quick glance at this site. I have since noticed that "dinning" appears no fewer than three times. I retract my assertion that the author must have made a typographical error and reopen the question of general illiteracy. However, my point about the spelling of "molding" stands.

Man, you guys are harsh. I have no clue what that website is or who writes it, but just in case that poor soul stumbles through here: (i) Surely "dinning" is a typo, given that the rest of the writing doesn't betray general illiteracy; and (ii) "molding" is how I've always spelled the word that refers to decorative wood, and "define:molding" on Google bears me out.

I don't know how the author can describe the interior as "plush" based upon these early stage construction photos.

The same people who use "dinning" for dining tend to misspell the word lose, as "loose." Wasn't there a joke in a Woody Allen movie about the uber-loser biker thug who had a tattoo that said "Born Too Loose"?

Unless "dinning" is some new trendy restaurant trend that I am not familiar with, would someone please teach the author how to spell "dining"?

Perhaps it truly will be a dinning room/experience. Dinning: to assail with loud continued noise. I've dinned at many a restaurant in my day.

This reminded me of a Jackie Harvey column from The Onion.

ITEM! Steak provacateur Michael London will open a new Raise the Steaks location in Court's House in Arlington! Next to Me Juna and a plucky little burger enterprise called Fly Guys, let's hope Mike (as all his friends call him) can hold his own! Ah, to din in Arlington!

This reminded me of a Jackie Harvey column from The Onion.

ITEM! Steak provacateur Michael London will open a new Raise the Steaks location in Court's House in Arlington! Next to Me Juna and a plucky little burger enterprise called Fly Guys, let's hope Mike (as all his friends call him) can hold his own! Ah, to din in Arlington!

Awesome! We should have an entire thread written like that!

"In the Know"

With your host Selvin Tyduld

;)

... VIC rewards cards, AAA, etc... Unless I am mistaken, Hard Times Cafe, Wegmans, etc. do not have active forum discussions about their products...I agree that membership rewards are a good thing for businesses, I just think they are not a good thing for this board.

Remember also that the only reason that grocery stores, for example, give you those discount cards is that in exchange, you are giving them a virtual warehouse full of information about yourself. Personal details about you. The products you buy. The frequency you buy them. The effect of generic products on your pattern. Sensitivity to price fluctuations. Do you change your buying patterns when they move products in the store? They can sum this information by gender, race, zip code, and if you participate in giving the "credit" to a school, they can total by that too. And, of course, they sell this information to their suppliers on a daily basis.

ETA: I'm only commenting about store reward cards, since someone compared them to the potential DR.com cards. Obviously, since Don is not gathering and selling usage data, there's no comparison.

Remember also that the only reason that grocery stores, for example, give you those discount cards is that in exchange, you are giving them a virtual warehouse full of information about yourself.

I lied. They think I'm an eighty year old guy from Colorado. Why would anyone give real info about themself?

They are - I have just started paying CASH in the grocery store. I got sick of the cashiers calling me by name. And my name on my safeway card is Jimmy Customer and I live at 555 Privacy Street - Don't use my name - scan, bag, take money and keep mouth closed.

Ok Rant Over - (Sorry Don - You can move this to grocery stores but wanted to respond to Heather's Post).

Giving false information might feel good, but if you're using your credit or debit card, they are on to you.

Can we all agree that this weather SUCKS?

Oh what fun it was on Saturday morning (at the Del Ray market)-50 degrees out and raining cats and dogs-when I stood under the edge of a white canopy to purchase saltenas and a bucket's worth of water poured over the edge right onto my head. ;)

Can we all agree that this weather SUCKS?
I truly am sorry for those w flooded basements and bridesmaids whose heels sink into mud. Dreary weekends.

It is dismal walking through the dark, wet city early on a Sunday morn, trying to pitch a tent on soaked grass and disappointing waiting for folk who would rather stay in bed than buy greens. Yes.

Yet, this far from the cattle and good people of Botswana where clouds are few, let us sing praise for what the rain does when fertile soil sucks it up. 'Tis better than drought for the radishes, lettuces, strawberries and what-not.

So far. ;)

Back in April when the month's cumulative inches of rain started to creep up past the norm, we were told we still needed a good eleven inches more to make up for the dry fall and the lack of significant snowfall. When sticky days cometh, only too soon, look back at this day when a good steaming bowl of soup was welcome at lunch.

--Pollyanna

I truly am sorry for those w flooded basements and bridesmaids whose heels sink into mud. Dreary weekends.

It is dismal walking through the dark, wet city early on a Sunday morn, trying to pitch a tent on soaked grass and disappointing waiting for folk who would rather stay in bed than buy greens. Yes.

Yet, this far from the cattle and good people of Botswana where clouds are few, let us sing praise for what the rain does when fertile soil sucks it up. 'Tis better than drought for the radishes, lettuces, strawberries and what-not.

So far. ;)

Back in April when the month's cumulative inches of rain started to creep up past the norm, we were told we still needed a good eleven inches more to make up for the dry fall and the lack of significant snowfall. When sticky days cometh, only too soon, look back at this day when a good steaming bowl of soup was welcome at lunch.

--Pollyanna

Do you see a significant drop in numbers when it rains?

Do you see a significant drop in numbers when it rains?
Yes! It's tough at the big, established farmers' markets, but far worse at the smaller ones, the new ones, too. Penn Quarter takes it pretty hard when it drizzles, even. I've been amazed by the number of people used to having Little League games cancelled due to rain assume they don't need to move their cars off the street during market hours because the sky is gray. (They get towed.)

I'm always surprised when this weather surprises people. It's a typical Mid-Atlantic region pattern. We get an early warm spell, flowers start blooming, people think it's planting time, then wham! a week of cold rainy weather. Happens every year. When I was a master gardener I would always tell people, forget the whole Mother's Day thing for planting warm crops; wait until after the wet week. Mostly it's good for gardening, but you know what sucks? Starting a 40 mile race on 'slicks' - treadless tires, used on a dry track - and having the rain start a-comin' down with two laps to go. I'm sure the corner workers were very, very entertained yesterday. Stupid hobby, really.

So far. ;)

Not too much rain for the strawberries, though. Was it three years ago that we had a cold, wet May, then a cold wet June? The strawberries that year were watery and flavorless. :)

I am headed there tonight and hope to hit the gin joint first, but as luck would have it the firewall at work blocks New Height's website for some odd reason. So has anyone been recently? Any recent menu items to be on the lookout for?

I am headed there tonight and hope to hit the gin joint first, but as luck would have it the firewall at work blocks New Height's website for some odd reason. So has anyone been recently? Any recent menu items to be on the lookout for?

Self-promotion ahead: A New Height for Gin

I think you're going to have a great time!

Cheers,

Marshall