On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Breadsoda tonite to watch the Pistons and get pickled.
We have a surprise babysitter tonight, so Scott and I will be at breadsoda for part of the evening for the complimentary rum tasting with Ed Hamilton, the Minister of Rum. :lol: It's from 5:30-8. Then we'll be at either the bar at Vidalia or New Heights.

Please, I'm sorry. But the follow excerpt needs no explanation., ie, it could probably guide a Jet Blue airline anywhere between North Carolina and SOHO in New York. Any chance we could get some street addresses here along with these interesting posts. How are we supposed to go to these places. Maybe something other than ... well.

"If you're living anywhere between Arlington/Alexandria and Chantilly and points North or East of those you may definitely want to consider it. It is left immediately after the Route 7 split in Leesburg."

Anyway we just heard that several ex-spensive steak houses in DC are now offering Personal Seat Licenses. Mainly for lunch. Love the sin in a "recession".

Robert Clair

Alexandria, VA 22308

Please, I'm sorry. But the follow excerpt needs no explanation., ie, it could probably guide a Jet Blue airline anywhere between North Carolina and SOHO in New York. Any chance we could get some street addresses here along with these interesting posts. How are we supposed to go to these places. Maybe something other than ... well.

"If you're living anywhere between Arlington/Alexandria and Chantilly and points North or East of those you may definitely want to consider it. It is left immediately after the Route 7 split in Leesburg."

Anyway we just heard that several ex-spensive steak houses in DC are now offering Personal Seat Licenses. Mainly for lunch. Love the sin in a "recession".

Robert Clair

Alexandria, VA 22308

Us fincter sez "wha?"

Robert Clair

Alexandria, VA 22308

There is a link to the restaurant's website in the original post in the thread (which I made), as well as pretty detailed info in the thread title (Harrison St, Leesburg). I'm assuming Stacey meant that the restaurant -Tuscarora Mill- was worth a trip to Leesburg even from the closer-in Northern Virginia suburbs.

Sometimes it's helpful to read the previous posts in a thread, as they may include the details you're looking for, such as addresses, website links, etc.

Driving from Fairfax to Arlington

in this power-outaged traffic

was akin to an arthritic clam

trying to burrow deep down

through both levels of mantle,

masturbating along the way,

further slowing his descension

into the bowels of darkest Hell.

I'm getting into the fucking shower,

and then I'm going out drinking.

Who's with me?

Who's with me?

I understand the analogy to the arthritic clam burrowing through the mantle: the drive was slow, and hard, and painful. But why was the clam masturbating? Were YOU masturbating? Just curious.

Who's with me?

I'm drinking, but there's not enough gin in the world to get me to drink with a masturbating clam. :lol:

Who's with me?

Where captain?

Took two hours to get to Potomac from Fairfax, just to find NO POWER at my house.

I would have gone out drinking had I seen this, but of course I had NO POWER.

This morning, after going to bed at 10pm (nothing to do), I woke up at 5am with NO POWER.

So here I am at the office, already plotting where I will be drinking tonight.

Thirsty Bernie's, anyone? If I'm not there by 5pm, something is seriously wrong...

Anyone else on here interested in maybe hitting a happy hour-ish type thing at New Heights on Friday night - say, starting around 6-6:30-ish?

I've had a hankering for there again and I know I've talked to others who were thinking about it. This time, however, I won't be spending 4 1/2 hours at the bar - or will I?

Anyways, leave a note if you're up for it. I have a feeling I'll need a happy hour after this week...

Doesn't look like there's a lot of interest for this night, and I've been invited to some other things...so I'm going to probably stay closer to home.

(Like I was at Dogwood tonight - and I'm debating getting down there at 4 PM tomorrow for 4 hours of $2.50 Pyramid Hefeweizens...)

Doesn't look like there's a lot of interest for this night, and I've been invited to some other things...so I'm going to probably stay closer to home.

Next time try posting in the generic On a Whim topic rather than creating a new topic for it. You might have gotten a different response that way...

Next time try posting in the generic On a Whim topic rather than creating a new topic for it. You might have gotten a different response that way...

Oh - good idea. I'll try that next time.

's no biggie either way. Then again, being a relatively unaffiliated NBA (non-)fan, I'm still jacked up from an exciting game 4...(...and the associated beer, watching it with a Boston fan...)...so not going out tomorrow night (or keeping it light-ish) might be for the best. :lol:

On Sundays we typically serve 180-200 guests, and since everyone is served the three-course meal ($25, $33, or $38--Jim Rice's dinner with the 12 ounce Filet (or 20 ounce Strip or 30 ounce Cowboy) was $38) which includes dessert, there is no way we can keep up production for so many guests of our in-house desserts.

So the snickers pie is a supplemental Sunday-only dessert at this point, which, since I like it so much in a shameless sort of way, may make itself available on a more regular basis, just so I can have something hanging around to snack on when I'm st--oops, I mean, peckish.

Or, I could just mix some spiced cashews in with my chocolate mousse and pretend I'm eating snickers pie... for that matter, I could dump the whole thing on top of my Steak Diablo and pretend I'm eating Carne Asada with Mole' sauce... hey, you need a sous chef?

Or, I could just mix some spiced cashews in with my chocolate mousse and pretend I'm eating snickers pie... for that matter, I could dump the whole thing on top of my Steak Diablo and pretend I'm eating Carne Asada with Mole' sauce... hey, you need a sous chef?

The fact that your instincts tell you to mix actual food items together, rather than deconstructing and turning into airs, foams and powders, tells me that you are entirely unsuitable for any type of kitchen work today whatsoever. Period.

And you want to be my sous chef...

The fact that your instincts tell you to mix actual food items together, rather than deconstructing and turning into airs, foams and powders, tells me that you are entirely unsuitable for any type of kitchen work today whatsoever. Period.

Is there any truth to the rumor that you are going to open a pet shop called Ray's: The Snakes? Inquiring minds,and all.

When I last ordered the garlic mashed potatoes, my server handed me a hoe and pointed towards the garden out in back of the building. Now I know why.

We're hoping to be there -- was planning on walking, but not sure how Lefty (the leg formerly known as broken) will hold up...you'll probably see us there anyway :lol:

Ummm...nevermind. Tripewriter isn't feeling up to snuff, so it's another night in for us...sigh!

I am seriously curious: What are the origins and history of the word, if not racial, especially as applied to the over-use of free condiments to save money?

Unfortunately it is a word whose real meaning has become lost on many people that use it. As Orwell wrote in Politics and the English Language about the word Fascism (and how it was used earlier in the thread) in that it "has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies 'something not desirable,'" now 'ghetto' is often used as a synonym for poverty stricken and crime ridden sections of the inner city which like the above quote from Orwell is just another way of saying "something not desirable." Again, it is an unfortunate misuse of the word, but I doubt most people that use it have any idea of its origins.

Unfortunately it is a word whose real meaning has become lost on many people that use it. As Orwell wrote in Politics and the English Language about the word Fascism (and how it was used earlier in the thread) in that it "has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies 'something not desirable,'" now 'ghetto' is often used as a synonym for poverty stricken and crime ridden sections of the inner city which like the above quote from Orwell is just another way of saying "something not desirable." Again, it is an unfortunate misuse of the word, but I doubt most people that use it have any idea of its origins.

Ghetto and Latte both come from Italy. :lol:

I am seriously curious: What are the origins and history of the word, if not racial, especially as applied to the over-use of free condiments to save money?

The OED states that ghetto frequently refers to "a quarter in a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited by a minority group or groups, usu. as a result of economic or social pressures." In other words, economically disadvantaged urban areas. Which in many US cities has a high racial correlation, but the original word goes back to the early 1600s.

The Doubletongued Dictionary claims that "ghetto as an adjective meaning 'fake, imitative, improvised, shoddy' has been used for at least nine years." I'm not really sure that I'm comfortable with that particular antedating or that definition, but it provides another viewpoint.

I can say that in the contexts that I've heard the complete phrase "ghetto latte" (and there is precedent for phrases to significantly drift semantically from the words that comprise them) over the last few years the phrase itself has not had any racially connotative meaning, and generally seems to be aimed more at (and used by) thrifty urban margin-dwellers. aka young underwaged college types.... yuppie, without the mobility. spawn of yuppies? Sounds like a bad movie.

Ob coffee: I can say I have a soft spot for rabidly untactful yet pedanticly principled people. I've not been to murky, but I probably will soon.

Not to get too far off, but when writing in modern times one should take into consideration the common usage of a word. For instance, the use of the word peruse is viewed by many as skimming through, when the original definition was to actually pay close attention to detail. Though that is not a weighted example.

I could point to the example of a rather poorly chosen subhead for Washingtonian on Jennifer 8. Lee with the subhead "China Girl makes her picks" or something of the like. For many Chinese people, the usage of "China girl" is a heavily weighted term that has implications of stereotype submissiveness and plum blossom behavior, and would be viewed by many activists as racist.

So it is perhaps necessary to be sensitive to pay attention to common modern-day usage regardless of how correct or trying to prove how learned you are, especially at the expense of offending others.

The OED states that ghetto frequently refers to "a quarter in a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited by a minority group or groups, usu. as a result of economic or social pressures." In other words, economically disadvantaged urban areas. Which in many US cities has a high racial correlation, but the original word goes back to the early 1600s.

The Doubletongued Dictionary claims that "ghetto as an adjective meaning 'fake, imitative, improvised, shoddy' has been used for at least nine years." I'm not really sure that I'm comfortable with that particular antedating or that definition, but it provides another viewpoint.

I can say that in the contexts that I've heard the complete phrase "ghetto latte" (and there is precedent for phrases to significantly drift semantically from the words that comprise them) over the last few years the phrase itself has not had any racially connotative meaning, and generally seems to be aimed more at (and used by) thrifty urban margin-dwellers. aka young underwaged college types.... yuppie, without the mobility. spawn of yuppies? Sounds like a bad movie.

Ob coffee: I can say I have a soft spot for rabidly untactful yet pedanticly principled people. I've not been to murky, but I probably will soon.

My understanding is that the word originally comes from Italian, to describe the small neighborhood in Venice that Jews were quartered/forced to live in.

My understanding is that the word originally comes from Italian, to describe the small neighborhood in Venice that Jews were quartered/forced to live in.

Yes, I was trying to edit the post to be more clear when it got moved from underneath me ;-)

Though the OED seems to indicate that it referred to any jewish quarter in an italian town, not specifically venice.

Yes, I was trying to edit the post to be more clear when it got moved from underneath me ;-)

Though the OED seems to indicate that it referred to any jewish quarter in an italian town, not specifically venice.

My understanding is that the term was first used in Venice. Like you I was typing a response and the thread disappeared so, here I am adding my two cents in late to the game... however, I am going to make it food related:

best meals I had in Venice were in the Ghetto. It wasn't inside the Ghetto, but on the canal from which you enter the Ghetto. Of course I can't remember the name... but if you go you should look for it. :lol:

Just looking at the calendar, it struck me that this upcoming Sunday is JULY 20, meaning six months exactly before ummm the local scene changes :lol: .

I get off of work around 2:15 and will be rather bleary-eyed and somewhat smelly only if it's hot and sticky. Still, I would love to mark the occasion somewhere near Dupont Circle before hauling my basket of fruit and greenery back home.

Anyone else of an optimistic nature?

I was thinking a DR pizza cook-off could be so much fun. Everybody show up with their best crust/pan at a place with a good commercial cooker which can send 'em through fast, and make and pass and share some good pizza. I can't get my family to eat enough pizza that my toppings/crust tinkerings are supported. :lol:

There are also many Takoma Parkians who would like Gillian to be firm about her "rules" if only to watch most parents' heads explode. This town is out of control and we need a velvet hammer when it comes to little Braden and Kaden wreaking havoc in a dining establishment.
When we first moved here, I thought Tk Pk kids had the worst manners I'd ever seen. Now I know it's that they have the most permissive parents, although we've done a little dining in Bethesda recently and it's no better over there. (as a matter of fact, we've had kids around get so wild that my 6-year-old said something about it. That's pretty bad.)

I am going to walk by today and see if there's any work being done.

I can't say I've seen too many badly behaving kids around takoma park but I suppose I don't hang around in takoma park proper anyway.

Heather- disco dan is that a dance party reference? :o

Dude: where were you in '92? If you say "not born yet" I will come through the screen and slap you. ;)

Kids these days :lol: -- I no longer go to restaurants that don't have an owner-authored child-rearing manifesto (manifestos are very TP, no?) on each table and find my dining pleasure much enhanced.

Why, back when I was a kid....

Dude: where were you in '92? If you say "not born yet" I will come through the screen and slap you. ;)

Kids these days :lol: -- I no longer go to restaurants that don't have an owner-authored child-rearing manifesto (manifestos are very TP, no?) on each table and find my dining pleasure much enhanced.

Why, back when I was a kid....

Watch out WM, it's starting to sound like we can't consider you a YOUNG curmudgeon anymore. :o