Happy Trails

Stretch

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably moving out of DC this autumn to work for a couple of years in a faraway land not known for its cuisine. So I have about two months left to eat DC, and I need the gamut--fine dining, dive gems, takeout, whathaveyou.

What places would you make sure you visited at least once?

Where would you go repeatedly?

Where would you spend your happy hours?

Where would you schedule your last blowout gastronomic orgy?

I want to hear them all--tell me what you'd do! But please also consider that I don't have a car and live in Adams Morgan, so non-Metro-accessible options will need to pay back in spades the price of a taxi or the long, sweaty walk they require. And while I'd love to eat every meal between now and then at Citronelle, I'm no trust fund child, so I need to intersperse some cheap options.

Help a Q out!

I want to hear them all--tell me what you'd do! But please also consider that I don't have a car and live in Adams Morgan, so non-Metro-accessible options will need to pay back in spades the price of a taxi or the long, sweaty walk they require.
Tallula, Tallula and Tallula...my favorite 'go-to' places when I want good food and wine at a feel like you're stealing it price. Naturally RTS figures in there as well ('nuff said). Bistro Bis or Vidalia for a splurge (get the tasting menu at Vidalia and ask for Brenna for a server. Both are excellent).

I don't have a car and live in Adams Morgan, so non-Metro-accessible options will need to pay back in spades...And ...I need to intersperse some cheap options.

At least once, on the metro, and need not be too pricey: Circle Bistro, Rasika, and Dino

Repeatedly: Pasta Mia, where I never get to, but would live at if I called Adams Morgan home

Happy Hour: Chef Geof, the Reef, or maybe Firefly

Last Blowout: Citronelle or Eve, either of which would easily justify, and likely require, the cab.

I'm probably moving out of DC this autumn to work for a couple of years in a faraway land not known for its cuisine. So I have about two months left to eat DC, and I need the gamut--fine dining, dive gems, takeout, whathaveyou.

I want to hear them all--tell me what you'd do! But please also consider that I don't have a car and live in Adams Morgan, so non-Metro-accessible options will need to pay back in spades the price of a taxi or the long, sweaty walk they require. And while I'd love to eat every meal between now and then at Citronelle, I'm no trust fund child, so I need to intersperse some cheap options.

Help a Q out!

Howdy, Neighbor! Ray's the Classics is a short walk from the SS Metro (if you didn't go to one of the charity dinners). I wouldn't THINK of heading off to far away places for any length of time without doing as much exploring of that menu as possible--now that it actually IS possible. It appears that Landrum is competing with Power to serve up the best food and wine at the lowest possible price. Heh-Heh.

Speaking of Corduroy: Happy Hour for the $3 beers and $4 Filipino Spring Rolls.

Komi, Komi, Komi.

Burrata at Dino. Happy hour at Corduroy. A Manhattan at Palena. Bluebird Bitter at the Birreria. More burrata at Dino. Meatball sandwich and a cannoli from Galileo Grill.

Closer to home: Frites with garlic cream at Amsterdam Falafel. Agnolotti at San Marco. The pear with almond paste at Julia's Empanadas. Roast chicken at Mama Ayesha's. And I've always wondered about the Kahlua milkshake at the Diner; you might as well check that out.

I'm probably moving out of DC this autumn to work for a couple of years in a faraway land not known for its cuisine.

Hm....Scotland? Albania? Chad? Antarctica? North Carolina?

I suggest the calf brains at Bistro d'Oc. Lobster salad at Corduroy. Fried clams at Kinkead's. All metro-able. Oh, and the duck-fat fries at Blue Duck Tavern.

Hm....Scotland? Albania? Chad? Antarctica? North Carolina?
Chad is close. Sudan!
I suggest the calf brains at Bistro d'Oc.
I'm sort of a wuss about organ meat in general, but brains are just an existential can of worms for me. I'm intrigued, but would have to be in the perfect, exact, right moment.

"What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind." So sayeth Homer.

Chad is close. Sudan!

I'm sort of a wuss about organ meat in general, but brains are just an existential can of worms for me. I'm intrigued, but would have to be in the perfect, exact, right moment.

Sudan, oh dear. Good luck. I survived North Carolina.

I was a little squeamish when I first tried calf brains many years ago. They're not nearly as "organy" as liver, though, let alone kidneys, when you actually eat them. I understand that they do carry extra psychic/emotional baggage, although I'm not entirely sure why.

KOMI, Citronelle, Minibar, CityZen (bar/lounge if not the dining room), Restaurant Eve, Makoto, Kaz Sushi Bistro, Obelisk, Rasika, Ray's The Classics, Corduroy

KOMI, Palena Bar, Johnny's Half-Shell, Sushi Taro, Firefly, Jaleo, 2 Amys, Indique, Full Kee, Taco Pepitos (in Adams Morgan), Pho 75 (in Rosslyn), Rabieng (authentic Thai; not metro-accessible though)

Tonic, Birreria Paradiso, Belga Cafe, Saint Ex, Oyamel (the only place I've been able to find a Michelada)

Where would you schedule your last blowout gastronomic orgy? Maestro (except it's not metro-accessible); in DC, CityZen

Maestro (except it's not metro-accessible)

It depends on what you mean by "metro-accessible." If you take the subway to the West Falls Church stop, it is a cheap cab ride (~ $6 for two) to Maestro. And, when you're done, just roll yourself down to the cab stand in front of the hotel for a ride back to the subway. :)

It depends on what you mean by "metro-accessible." If you take the subway to the West Falls Church stop, it is a cheap cab ride (~ $6 for two) to Maestro. And, when you're done, just roll yourself down to the cab stand in front of the hotel for a ride back to the subway. :)
Taxis are definite for my blowout gastronomic orgy, which I'm thinking will be Eve and Maestro... maybe PS7. What's an extra $20 when you're spending a half month's rent on heaven anyway? :lol:

Incidentally, I've already started my long kiss goodnight: I logged in brunch (with donuts!) at the Tabard and spent the rest of the weekend eating from the farmer's market--Firehook bread, tomatoes, basil, corn, zucchini, nectarines, cherries... I'm not sure the kind of produce I'll be able to get there, but I somehow doubt it will be as good as this!

Only in government can it be considered reasonable for one month to stretch to five. But finally--unbelievably--it looks like I'm getting out of here, early January.

Local foodstuffs of note that I've filed away to call on during culinarily desperate moments...

Tuna tartar at Cashion's

Buttermilk biscuit at Bardia's

Scallops at Corduroy

Pastrami at So's Your Mom

Beef sous vide at Citronelle

Conch fritter at minibar

Antipasto at Radius

Moussaka at Astor

Frites at Amsterdam Felafelshop

Gado gado at Nooshi

Crabcake at Hank's

And, of course, Guinness at Bedrock

More to come...

Anxiety.

So let's say you're leaving town in a a few days, and for a long time. You've seen all your friends, you've eaten at all your favorites, you have no food in your fridge.

How do you manage your anxiety?

[if this should be posted somewhere else, or deleted entirely, I completely understand. But being a food-centric gal on a food-centric board, and since we're all sort of coming from the same food-centric place, I'm interested if anyone have some sort of fix for general anxiety and distress.]

Find your favorite bartender and spend some quality time?

Done, and done!

You know, people keep asking what I want to do before I leave. And for most well-adjusted folk :P , that means going to museums. Walking the tidal basin. Seeing the monuments.

I love all these things. But my priorities were: sushi, Ethiopian, fried chicken, steak, beer.

But still I need some comfort. Some time in the next two days, if something comes to mind...

Anxiety.

So let's say you're leaving town in a a few days, and for a long time. You've seen all your friends, you've eaten at all your favorites, you have no food in your fridge.

How do you manage your anxiety?

How about holing up at a coffee house with a good book, a drink, and a snack? I remember doing that in the stressful months before we moved here from the only place I'd ever lived.
[if this should be posted somewhere else, or deleted entirely, I completely understand. But being a food-centric gal on a food-centric board, and since we're all sort of coming from the same food-centric place, I'm interested if anyone have some sort of fix for general anxiety and distress.]
My goodness, I hope it stays! I'm going to need it in about five months!

Anxiety over. Moving complete. Happily ensconced in my new home, Khartoum.

This place is a trip--dusty, rich, poor, cold, hot, boring, exciting, busy. Going off-roading to see some pyramids in the rural north is an experience whose coolness will only be eclipsed by seeing the looks on the faces of people I tell about it at cocktails parties for years to come.

And the Embassy carries Guinness and Jameson's. I'm home!

Like my predecessors on this thread (threadecessors?), I am preparing to leave the DC area for an extended period. In seven weeks, Kitakami, Japan, will be home. I'm told one can get awesome tempura natto there, but I think hanger steak and scalloped potatoes a la RTC will be more difficult to come by.

There are things I already know that I must do within the next seven weeks: roast chicken in the bar at Palena, dinner at Dino, brunch at Colorado Kitchen, dinner at the bar at Citronelle, an old-school cocktail at the Town & Country to satisfy my hotel bar fetish, drinks and snacks on the patio at Les Halles (assuming it ever gets warm). There are things I would gladly do again: dinner at Saint-Ex, the aforementioned steak and potatoes at RTC. And, there are places I haven't yet gone, but would like to: Domku, Temperance Hall, Corduroy, and Sonoma among them. Corduroy is highest on the last list.

Which of the "haven't dones" should be musts or prioritized over repeats? Additional suggestions also welcome! And I'll get back to you on the tempura natto in a couple of months. :blink:

Welcome to the club! We can be a ragtag bunch, often rumpled, sunburned, and wearing Tevas to inappropriate places, but people always love to have us at cocktails parties for that extra "flavor."

All your instincts here are excellent, but let me add a different spin: in addition to just eating things in Washington you've come to love, also try to focus on cuisines you will not be able to get in your new home. I personally had a sushi throwdown as my going away feast, and then ate bacon at nearly every meal on a recent trip to Kenya.

In Japan you obviously won't be hurting for sushi or, likely, pork, but I've found that Mexican food, for instance, is one of the hardest cuisines to come by outside the Western hemisphere. Also, good pizza (the Middle East and Africa have this thing about using essentially sugared ketchup as sauce [shudder]) and soul food.

This would also apply to what consumables you choose to pack--you won't need fish sauce, say, but you may want to toss in some Old Bay.

But beware: after you've moved, you will come to think almost constantly about that last delicious meal, try your best to replicate it, and fail miserably. :blink:

Congratulations!

Thanks for the good advice. I hadn't thought about getting Mexican food before I left, but perhaps a visit to Santa Fe Cafe for homeland food is in order. Oohs and Aahs crossed my mind for soul food, too. The Japanese put things like corn on pizza, but I'm not sure what they do for sauce. Here's hoping it's not sweetened ketchup!

Azami packed Old Bay when he went, and my parents brought him beef jerky from the great place in my hometown, so he'll have that, too. He can't, however, get unsweetened peanut butter.

Also, thanks for the good wishes!

As some of you might know Beth and I will be leaving DC for New Brunswick in less than a week. I still love the DC area and will not only still be frequently visiting but will still try to post on here as much as possible. I will try and add to the NYC thread and maybe start posting on some Central Jersey restaurants. I have been told that there are several very high end restaurants in New Brunswick that some serious New Yorkers actually LEAVE the city for. I am hopefully going to be working at one of them and I will let everyone know in case anyone finds themselves in central Jersey (you know, car broke down on the way to NY or something) you can stop by, let me buy you a drink and fill me in on the DC scene. Anyways I think we might stop by RTC's bar around 6:30-7 ish tonight as kind of a last night out. The rest of our nights in town will no doubt be spent working and or packing.

As some of you might know Beth and I will be leaving DC for New Brunswick in less than a week. I still love the DC area and will not only still be frequently visiting but will still try to post on here as much as possible. I will try and add to the NYC thread and maybe start posting on some Central Jersey restaurants. I have been told that there are several very high end restaurants in New Brunswick that some serious New Yorkers actually LEAVE the city for. I am hopefully going to be working at one of them and I will let everyone know in case anyone finds themselves in central Jersey (you know, car broke down on the way to NY or something) you can stop by, let me buy you a drink and fill me in on the DC scene. Anyways I think we might stop by RTC's bar around 6:30-7 ish tonight as kind of a last night out. The rest of our nights in town will no doubt be spent working and or packing.

I am taking off on Friday the 29th. My last shift at Deluxe is tomorrow (Tuesday) night and I have been telling some regulars and ex-employees etc. to come have a drink after the shift. If anyone wants to grab a pre-hump day beer (we just got Widmer bros. Hefe on tap, and Chimay, Blue Moon, and Pilsner in bottles) come by around 9:30-10:00.

Well, it's happening. I'm moving to Chicago with my significant other. She's ready to go, I'm ready to go, but I'm short on eating time. Help me out all, what am I missing- here's our list of what we want to eat before we leave...

July 10: Firefly (gotta say goodbye to Will and some of the staff)

July 11: Open (but might be slotted for Dino, where we had our first date)

July 12: Open

July 13: Open

July 14: Open

July 15: Open

July 16: Open

July 17: CityZen

July 18: Open

July 19: Lunch at 2941, no dinner plans yet, last day of work for me

July 20: Leave for Chicago, dinner at Moto

July 21: Chicago, dinner at Carlos'

July 22: Return from Chicago, dinner at TNR Cafe

July 23: Open

July 24: Open

July 25: Open

July 26: Happy hour and dinner at The Reef

Price isn't really an object with these meals, though we've eaten at virtually every high end restaurant in DC including Komi, Citronelle, Palena, Eve (which we need to slot in there one more day), and 2941 (which we need to slot in there as well).

What am I missing? (I'll keep this thread updated to throw some feedback in here)

Oh JPschust, say it ain't so! You've put me to shame with your frequent restaurant patronage, but I've enjoyed all of your reports. I KNOW you're going to put Eve somewhere on your list. How about the chipper since it's going to be tough to beat anywhere this side of the pond. Best wishes to both of you.

Oh JPschust, say it ain't so! You've put me to shame with your frequent restaurant patronage, but I've enjoyed all of your reports. I KNOW you're going to put Eve somewhere on your list. How about the chipper since it's going to be tough to beat anywhere this side of the pond. Best wishes to both of you.
The sad part is we are moving into a place with the first kitchen since I lived with my parents that I feel is really quality to cook in- high end stove is the key for me. I'm really excited to start working on french cooking again. I think we should find a spot for the chipper on a weeknight and then scamper up to PX to have a drink ;) Good call.

You'll see posts from me over on lthforum and in the Chicago thread here still. :P

I'm not sure that I would bother going to a dozen different places before leaving town. Hit a couple of your faves; places that mean something. You're not going to Siberia after all - Chicago has many very nice restaurants. ;) And a pretty good local food board.

I'm not sure that I would bother going to a dozen different places before leaving town. Hit a couple of your faves; places that mean something. You're not going to Siberia after all - Chicago has many very nice restaurants. ;) And a pretty good local food board.
Chicago has food? :P

Last night I had my goodbye to firefly dinner. We were there past kitchen closing and the staff made it really special. Will, the GM, is a friend, the new Chef, Danny is awesome, and Ted, who I've met on and off a few times as our server has been great. Looking through my opentable list, I've been there probably around 20 times over the last year and a half. Food continues to stay consistently good even after John's departure, and the 3 or so bottles of wine didn't hurt either. Stop typing so loud :)

Having been exiled myself I highly recommend thinking about the places you think you'd miss even if every possible cuisine was available to you. When you've been out of town or too busy to get out much, what are the first places you want to go to?

(Yes I do know I'm re-writing history to obliterate any notion that this was a choice I made - at least as far as food is concerned ;) )

last night: thaiphoon. OK, it's not great thai. I'll even agree it's not particularly good Thai, but I needed something spicy and I was in Pentagon Row. It doesn't feel like a meal wasted, but nothing was gained from said meal. Today I've got my last lunch with my boss, then I think he's headed out and I won't see him again. (woo hoo!)

last night: thaiphoon. OK, it's not great thai. I'll even agree it's not particularly good Thai, but I needed something spicy and I was in Pentagon Row. It doesn't feel like a meal wasted, but nothing was gained from said meal. Today I've got my last lunch with my boss, then I think he's headed out and I won't see him again. (woo hoo!)

For a little perspective on what Chicago does well, and what may be a little lacking...

Very Well Represented:

* Thai - there are so many great Thai restaurants in Chicago, and you'll see them debated endlessly on lthforum, but my favorites are Sticky Rice and Spoon. Ask for the "secret" menu, and don't forget to BYOB.

* Mexican - Check out the Pilsen and Logan Square neighborhoods

* Indo/Pak - Check out Devon Ave.

* Steakhouses

* Deep dish pizza

Well Represented

* Korean

* Chinese (Chinatown)

* Vietnamese (Argyle St)

* German

* Italian (all price points)

* Sushi

* French (all price points)

* Polish

Not Well Represented

* Portuguese

* NY-style pizza

* Seafood

* African/Caribbean (there are a few, just not as many as in DC)

* BBQ (again, several very good options, just not abundant)

* Bagels/Jewish Delis

Coming back from purgatory for a week in the land where food rarely has amoebas and and plumbing fixtures function. Mexican, Chinese, pizza, and hot dogs will be covered in Chicago. On deck in DC I've got Komi, Sushi-Ko, Beck's, Central, Bedrock, Toledo, Tabard, RFK, steak, wine, facial, haircut, massage... (okay, maybe getting a little off-topic here...)

What else?

Coming back from purgatory for a week in the land where food rarely has amoebas and and plumbing fixtures function. Mexican, Chinese, pizza, and hot dogs will be covered in Chicago. On deck in DC I've got Komi, Sushi-Ko, Beck's, Central, Bedrock, Toledo, Tabard, RFK, steak, wine, facial, haircut, massage... (okay, maybe getting a little off-topic here...)

What else?

A good start for day one, And for day two, you are planning what?

You might want to stop in and see Tom Power at Corduroy (and see what he has in the ice cream department!).

With your schedule, it might be your last chance to see Corduroy before the big

move (you do know that Corduroy is moving down the street, don't you?)

If you have access to a vehicle you should get your fill of hardshells somewhere on the eastern shore. Get your fill of corn with the crabs. If possible wash down with Bloody Micheala's, the newest rage on dr.com-it has the veggies and more alcohol you'll need to cure the hangover ;)

You might want to stop in and see Tom Power at Corduroy (and see what he has in the ice cream department!).

With your schedule, it might be your last chance to see Corduroy before the big

move (you do know that Corduroy is moving down the street, don't you?)

I HAD heard about this, and this is an excellent idea. Thanks, Edna!

I won't have access to a car, so no Eastern Shore... But what I really need is some exceptional pork. Living in a Muslim country is killing me. What's THE best piggy you've eaten lately?