Toronto vs. Montreal

Ericandblueboy

Tell me about food and attractions?

In Montreal I'd go back to the botanical garden, check out the biodome, and hang in the old city. I'd get good French food and deli food.

In Toronto, I remember seeing lots of young hookers on Yonge St. (this was back in the '80s). I'd get good Chinese food.

Hmm....do I want to see animals or hookers? Help me out. :)

Tell me about food and attractions?

In Montreal I'd go back to the botanical garden, check out the biodome, and hang in the old city. I'd get good French food and deli food.

In Toronto, I remember seeing lots of young hookers on Yonge St. (this was back in the '80s). I'd get good Chinese food.

Hmm....do I want to see animals or hookers? Help me out. :)

Lived in Toronto for 10+ years and Montreal is one of my favorite places to visit. Many good times there.

Montreal is the festival capital of Canada. You name it, they have a festival for it. The Montreal Int'l Jazz Festival (FIJM), Just for Laughs Comedy Festival, Osheaga Music Festival, and Pop! Montreal are just some that take me to Montreal. The food choices are good and there are some unique opportunities. Martin Picard's hommage to provincial Quebecois cooking (and over-indulgence) at Au Pied de Cochon are well documented. Old Montreal can't be beat for classic Parisian ambience. Then again, there's something to be said for the 3am trips to La Belle Province for a cheap steam dog, or Le Banquise for their outstanding poutine. You just need to be properly shitfaced before you do either.

Toronto is quieter but there's still plenty to see and do. I love the lakefront and islands in the summer. Head down to wine country in Niagara for some under appreciated wines. Check out a hockey or baseball game. The breadth and depth of food in Toronto beats Montreal. David Chang is opening a new restaurant there. Susur Lee still has his joint (Lee) there. But the authentic ethnic food is what gets me. I've never had hot and sour soup as good as you get in Toronto (deep red colour, shrimp, peas, shiitake mushrooms, strips of pork). Go into the Portuguese, Italian, Indian, Caribbean, Greek, etc parts of town to get outstanding ethnic home cooking. Many say the dim sum in Toronto is the best outside of China (and even Vancouver and SF). The one place where Toronto has failed me is sushi. I've gotten very good, but never over the top excellence there. Oh, and street food. The street food sucks. But Toronto is also the only place I've seen where you can get marine delivery (straight to your boat) from a couple of pizza and chinese fast food places.

Via Rail runs a train line from downtown Mtl to downtown Tor. Why limit yourself to one place?

Otherwise, go to Toronto for food, Montreal for overall culture. There's a broad brush for you.

Lived in Toronto for 10+ years and Montreal is one of my favorite places to visit. Many good times there.

Montreal is the festival capital of Canada. You name it, they have a festival for it. The Montreal Int'l Jazz Festival (FIJM), Just for Laughs Comedy Festival, Osheaga Music Festival, and Pop! Montreal are just some that take me to Montreal. The food choices are good and there are some unique opportunities. Martin Picard's hommage to provincial Quebecois cooking (and over-indulgence) at Au Pied de Cochon are well documented. Old Montreal can't be beat for classic Parisian ambience. Then again, there's something to be said for the 3am trips to La Belle Province for a cheap steam dog, or Le Banquise for their outstanding poutine. You just need to be properly shitfaced before you do either.

Toronto is quieter but there's still plenty to see and do. I love the lakefront and islands in the summer. Head down to wine country in Niagara for some under appreciated wines. Check out a hockey or baseball game. The breadth and depth of food in Toronto beats Montreal. David Chang is opening a new restaurant there. Susur Lee still has his joint (Lee) there. But the authentic ethnic food is what gets me. I've never had hot and sour soup as good as you get in Toronto (deep red colour, shrimp, peas, shiitake mushrooms, strips of pork). Go into the Portuguese, Italian, Indian, Caribbean, Greek, etc parts of town to get outstanding ethnic home cooking. Many say the dim sum in Toronto is the best outside of China (and even Vancouver and SF). The one place where Toronto has failed me is sushi. I've gotten very good, but never over the top excellence there. Oh, and street food. The street food sucks. But Toronto is also the only place I've seen where you can get marine delivery (straight to your boat) from a couple of pizza and chinese fast food places.

Via Rail runs a train line from downtown Mtl to downtown Tor. Why limit yourself to one place?

Otherwise, go to Toronto for food, Montreal for overall culture. There's a broad brush for you.

Ummm... Toronto = Hockey Hall of Fame!!!!