U.S. Thanksgiving Dinner (1621-) - Celebrating and Giving Thanks for the Good Harvest in Plymouth, Massachusetts

Capital Icebox

I accidentally posted my post on the other thread- oh well. My Mom's turkey this year seemed very solid- more than in years past, I was a bit concerned that it was frozen.  Matt had to oven finish the turkey he smoked for his work Thanksgiving because it got so cold outside his smoker gave it.  The whole house smelled like smoke, and it was a deep color (he had dry rubbed it after brining), but not super burnt because he foiled it and oiled it.  I didn't eat the finish product with skin, but judging by how little came home, I would say it must have been good.

Things I am making with Thanksgiving leftovers:

Mashed potatoes- freezing most of these, but will use some to mix with stuffing and make "waffles". We also have some boiled potatoes that we didn't mash- that I will put most of them in beef vegetable soup I think and bake with parley butter another night.  

Green beans- oh man we have a lot of green beans left- mainly because they weren't great.  My SIL was supposed to bring them, but they couldn't find them in the grocery until the last minute, so they just brought steam in the bag ones, which I cooked at the last minute and added butter.  Leftovers are going to be made into beef vegetable soup and tonight for fasolakia.  

Turkey- we have so little left!  But it is going to be used tonight to go on top of the waffles with the fasolakia on the side. The remaining I was thinking about using for posole, if we aren't souped out after beef vegetable.

Cranberry sauce: I will have some of this for sandwich topping, but I also am going to make pastries for company coming this weekend, with some goat cheese.  The remainder will likely go into regular waffle batter, as I make mini waffles and freeze them and then pull them out for breakfast.

This leaves the gravy- which I am just not sure what we will do with it.  It's so good, I hate to waste it, and Hubby loves gravy, so we will see.  

What are you all making with your leftovers?

On 11/26/2019 at 6:54 AM, KeithA said:

Going to in-laws this year and so my cooking duties are limited - but I'll probably make those dishes they don't make that I like - homemade cranberry sauce and stuffing. I may turn the stuffing into a knishes as a way to sneak in my favorite part of thanksgiving. I figure they all like my potato knishes and so if I also happen to make a few stuffing knishes no one will mind. Always tough dealing with the cook who refuses to let anyone bring anything.

Best use of leftovers  - knishes filled with mashed potatoes, caramelized onions, cranberry sauce and a bit of turkey. Second best use of leftovers - knishes filled with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a bit of turkey.  Even better - add some dijon and spicy or whole grain mustard to left over cranberry sauce and use that to dip the knishes in. Knishes for the win. Not as good but quick alternative - instead of making knish dough (which is super easy, I use Smitten Kitchen recipe), use store bought puff pastry or empanada wrappers.

• Like 1

The only leftovers I had that got repurposed were the turkey meatballs. I had baked them ahead of time and kept them warm in the crockpot in boxed turkey bone broth until later in the day when the rest of the meal was done. This had the added (and intended) benefit of making sure they were moist. I made soup with some sauteed vegetables, leftover meatballs, and a diluted version of the broth, which had been very concentrated to start.

It was good not to have tons of leftovers to find things to do something with, but I did kind of miss it all the same.

• Like 1