Grand'Ma Cooking, Hole-in-the-Wall Jamaican in Norbeck Center in Rockville - Closed

There is a new hole in the wall Jamaican restaurant that just opened in the Norbeck Center on the corner of Norbeck Rd and Georgia Avenue, just above Leasure World. This center is becoming ethnic food central, what with a Thai restaurant, Korean restaurant, Gyro place, and an Italian Deli. And now a Jamaican restaurant to add to the mix.

In a word, the food is great and authentic. Dinners are served on a huge mound of wonderful red beans and rice and also come with steamed vegs (shredded carrots and cabbage with wonderful spices) and plantains. If you want, stemed greens (calaloo) can be substituted for the cabbage and carrots.

Last week we had the Curry Chicken, Brown Stew Chicken, and Oxtail. All of them were great. The meat was tender and spiced wonderfully. (but watch out for the bones) There is a large selection of Jamaican soft drinks and homemade juices (the Ginger Beer was great). Last night we tried them again. I had the fried fish. I was expecting a slab of fried fish, but instead it was a whole fried fish. Delicious. Spicy and perfectly cooked. It was a trip deboning as I was eating it, but some of the best fried fish I have ever eaten. My son had the curried goat which he loved. It was tender and very flavorful.

They also serve some "American foods, but who is going to try that when there is this wonderful Jamaican food to eat. They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (6am -11pm M-Th, 6am-9pm Sat, and 10am-2pm Sunday)

I'm anxious to try the Ackee and Salt fish or the Mackreal and bananna for breakfast.

Nice folks, a few tables (mostly carryout) and regge music. Give them a try, I want them to make it so I can go often.

Grand'Ma Cooking

4007A Norbeck Rd

Rockville, MD

301-929-3377

Sounds great. I haven't been up that way in a while but when I worked in Rockville (Shady Grove Rd area), I would frequent a place called The Caribbean Feast on Rockville Pike (just south of Rockville Audi/Porsche). Authentic Jamaican cuisine and very generous portions. It is a little hole in the wall but the food was amazing. Looks like I might have to make the trip from Falls Church to Rockville in order to check out Grand'Ma Cooking.

Thanks,

Eric

Sounds great.  I haven't been up that way in a while but when I worked in Rockville (Shady Grove Rd area), I would frequent a place called The Caribbean Feast on Rockville Pike (just south of Rockville Audi/Porsche).  Authentic Jamaican cuisine and very generous portions.    It is a little hole in the wall but the food was amazing.  Looks like I might have to make the trip from Falls Church to Rockville in order to check out Grand'Ma Cooking. 

Thanks,

Eric

Feast!!!!!!! Weird little counter service place with just a few long communal tables, but man does the food hit the spot. Jerk pork, spicy, with plantains and sweeeet potatoes. Or goat curry.

Damn. Just got back from A&J, stuffed, and now I'm craving the Feast.

This place had gotten to be a regular carryout spot for us. The boy and I had the oxtail and the brown stew chicken last night and it was delish as always. I really want these guys to do well as it is as authentic as you can wish for and good food. Washed it down with a bottle of ginger beer and was full as a tick when I finished.

On 5/10/2007 at 9:32 AM, dinwiddie said:

Unfortunately Grand'Ma's is no more, having died from the curse of a bad location. It is too bad as it was good Jamacian food at a reasonable price.

Grand'Ma Cooking was tucked away in the back portion of a tiny little strip mall on Norbeck and Georgia - a really terrible location that you needed to know about to find. When it closed, it became Island Pride Jamaican Restaurant, but they moved to 823 Hungerford Drive in 2012, and the new owners opened Nice N Spicy - also a Jamaican restaurant, which is still there today.