Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

Huh, guess Express jumped the gun? ;)

If someone from either place had merely walked by the location before publishing their report, it would have been very evident that it is at least a month away from being ready to open. There isn't even a sign or anything up indicating that it is going to be Corduroy....

Huh, guess Express jumped the gun? :)
Haha. I know the guy who wrote that. Figures...

ETA: The author, Chris, explains it this way: "it's a heads-up

it's more about the man behind the food than it is about the food, isn't it."

me: i guess, but your headline reads "reopens" as in present tense

Christopher: it's reopening

;)

Haha. I know the guy who wrote that. Figures...

ETA: The author, Chris, explains it this way: "it's a heads-up

it's more about the man behind the food than it is about the food, isn't it."

me: i guess, but your headline reads "reopens" as in present tense

Christopher: it's reopening

;)

Well it is the Express. :)

The new digs (in Shaw, no less) put the refined flavors and daisy-fresh ingredients that have distinguished Power among his peers front and center. Now that it isn't housed in a hotel, a visit to Corduroy means go for the food and stay for the food.

Huh. I've never thought to use the word "now" to indicate future tense. That's, um, creative.

Congratulations to Chef Tom Power, Ferhat, Scott and the rest of the Corduroy crew!!! You continue to be the gem of this city! Ferhat, there's no one more perfect and deserving than you - rock on! We'll see you soon! All the best! smile.gif

Cheers!

This is a great honor for me. I will do everything in my power to make this restaurant very very succesful.

I appreciate all the comments coming from DR community.

The date for opening is not set yet. Please do not believe third party gossips ;) . I will or Chef Power will post a note when everything is ready to go. Also keep in mind that, there may or may not be a soft opening. We are working very hard to get everything ready.

Operation hours will be posted and there is no room service, there is no SPG`s.

Ferhat

You were over the wall and running fast man. You almost made it out of the restaurant business! But they always find a way to drag you back into it, man!

My name is Dean, and I had 10 years and 5 days of restaurant sobriety!

Congrats!

Congratulations Ferhat! And Congratulations to Tom and the rest of "Team Corduroy"!

Saw the place last week and it is looking great!

We are anxiously awaiting Corduroy's grand re-opening!

Life without good soup has been so difficult!

(ok - no room service - but how about delivery? ;) )

This is a great honor for me. I will do everything in my power to make this restaurant very very succesful.

I appreciate all the comments coming from DR community.

The date for opening is not set yet. Please do not believe third party gossips ;) . I will or Chef Power will post a note when everything is ready to go. Also keep in mind that, there may or may not be a soft opening. We are working very hard to get everything ready.

Operation hours will be posted and there is no room service, there is no SPG`s.

Can't wait! We're doing the Corduroy Dance over here!

Back online on OpenTable...

I saw that a few minutes ago, but when I went to make a reservation for a few weeks from today I was prompted with a notice that there was connectivity issues with the restaurant's reservation system and it is now no longer available.

I saw that a few minutes ago, but when I went to make a reservation for a few weeks from today I was prompted with a notice that there was connectivity issues with the restaurant's reservation system and it is now no longer available.
When I checked earlier this week and saw it listed available dates, I tried to make a reservation and got the message that the restaurant was offline. I've tried several times since, and it's been offline every time.

Word travels quickly, I made my reservation for the 23rd, went to modify it and all of the earlier times were quickly snapped up. I hope this is a positive harbinger of things to come for the fine folks at Corduroy.

Unless Chef has asked you not to, you people who were there last night better start spilling. How Was It?!?!? Details, people, we want Details!!!

Some of us were stuck eating decent sushi dreaming of the morsels of goodness you enjoyed last night.

Unless Chef has asked you not to, you people who were there last night better start spilling. How Was It?!?!? Details, people, we want Details!!!
Some of us were stuck eating decent sushi dreaming of the morsels of goodness you enjoyed last night.

num....num....num....num

It was as if they were never closed. Most of the staff are back, Pinchon, Ferhat, Kat, and Dan were all there last night. It was so wonderful to see all of them back working at the new Corduroy. I told Jim it was almost like a reunion with all the hello's and "how have you been's." The food was as wonderful as always. For the next couple of weeks they will be serving a 3 course menu for $45 pp. Both of my absolute favorite dishes were on the menu so I was a happy girl.

I had the Lobster salad with basil oil as my appetizer, Jim had the oysters. What can I say, both were great. Other appetizers on the menu that I can remember were a chilled pea soup, the buffalo mozzarella porcupine, and one of the salads from the old menu. I wish I could remember the others. Maybe someone else has a better memory than me.

For entrees, I had the scallops. 3 scallops on those wonderfully smooth and delicious mashed potatoes and morel mushrooms. Very drool worthy. Jim had Crispy Fluke with a warm potato salad topped with fris
ée. Jim commented that Tom Power is the only person he knows who can make frisée taste good. The fluke had a delicate crispiness to it and tasted wonderful, especially with the touch of a sauce made with lemon, butter and a touch of cream. Other entrees were the baby chicken, lamb loin, the big eye tuna and something else that I again cannot remember.

Dessert was one of two options, the chocolate tart (sans caramelized banana) or a pineapple tart. Both were excellent but I'd give the edge to the pineapple tart and that says something since I am such a chocoholic. It was so good that I teased Jim about picking up his plate and licking it clean.

The interior of the restaurant is bright and light. On the first floor I counted at least 4 two seat booths (one of which we sat in) and one 4 seat booth plus several tables seating 4-6. The wine cellar is still being finished but is a room just in front of the hostess station. Two textured glass walls face the restaurant and will soon have shelves to hold that wonderful wines we all enjoy while dining. If you are seated at one of the table towards the back of the restaurant, you will have a view into the kitchen. Last night, our booth had an opening where a piece of textured glass will soon be installed but it allowed Jim to get a nice close up view into the kitchen. Once the glass is in place though, no more view.

Upstairs is the sleek new bar. A beautiful black granite (I think it was granite) surface for the bar was what immediately caught my eye. It was gorgeous. The beer taps were not in place yet but plenty of other libations were available. And it was nice to see Pinchon manning the bar again. Across from the bar was a bench of seats with small tables and some chairs. And perhaps the best thing added to Corduroy's upstairs is the addition of two private dining rooms. On has two tables for 4 with an open ledge overlooking the hallway to the second private dining area, a larger space located at the front of the restaurant with windows overlooking the street. If my memory serves me right, there were 3 or 4 tables in this space.

One last tidbit, valet parking is available, think it was $9 but we found street parking to be plentiful. May not always be the case of there is something happening at the Convention Center but at least you have the valet option or Metro.

I hope this helps satiates everyones curiosity and that you will all be as happy as we are to have Corduroy open once again.

Others have a better sense of how to organize comments, but here are some:

--- Cab drivers will say "Are you SURE you want to go to that street?"

--- The new Corduroy has no backdraft ale ... no room for kegs.

--- It was good to see some of the favorites from before ... I had the roast lamb and spinach.

--- The pineapple tart was wonderful.

--- Rumor is that they will be open May 11 (Mother's Day). Closed Sundays, otherwise.

--- Ferhat adjusting to his new role, not easy to supervise, rather than be hands on.

--- Scott says the "items that need to be finished" checklist will be done by July 4.!

The new Corduroy kicks ass even more than the old Corduroy! So great to see the whole gang back, and so nice to be able to eat again. The food was just as perfect as it always was, and the digs are much nicer; finally a space to fit the food and service!

Claudia and I had the distinction of being the first guests for the "official" opening last night. We were led to one of the front tables next to the window looking out to the convention center and also providing a view of the kitchen ( note to self, request this table in the future). The new interior is awesome, really, really a beautiful place to come and eat. Spacious, light, beautiful. The kitchen is open, we can now see Chef Tom and crew from the waist up, instead of a just their floating heads behind a warming shelf. (Note: check out the special "artwork" from the construction -- signs of a clever mind!) The new upstairs bar (which was opened) was gorgeous. There is a 4 table private dining room off the bar area that while ready, was closed last night. There is no sign outside the building yet, just gold lettering of 1122 and a valet parking cars. We had no problem finding street parking.

Seeing the staff was like going to your 5 year reunion. Everyone was there and it was great to see everyone from the dishwashers to the servers. Ferhat was his calm and demure self and it is amazing that almost the entire staff has returned. Even the staff sparkled in the new surroundings, while all the plates and silverwear shined and glowed, the pride of the staff was equally present.

The food was as good, if not better than before. We started with the oysters and a chilled pea soup. The oysters were wonderful, tasting as if they just were harvested. The soup, well Tom Powers is known for his wonderful soups and this one did not disappoint. Pureed green peas with a slightly smokey (ham?) stock. The soup was light and springlike, perfect for the rebirth of Corduroy. Next we had the seared tuna and the crispy fluke. While the tuna is from the old menu, it was like going home again and a great reminder of how good tuna can taste. The fluke was a new dish, perfectly cooked with a warm potato salad covered with frisee lettuce. This was the highlight of my dinner. I almost grabbed the plate back from Claudia after we had switched midway through the meal. Dessert was the upsidedown pineapple tart/cake a la mode. Another new item, the tart was crisp, slightly sweet and the housemade vanilla ice cream wonderful.

So great to be "back" at the new, delicious and gorgeous Corduroy. I did ask Tom P if it was OK to post (and he said to go ahead). The staff said that there would be a future bar menu, future fixed price options and many more surprises coming our way. The prices seem in line with the old location.

The best, most notable new arrival on the DC dining scene in 2008 may, in fact, be an old favorite.

It's pretty simple: Chef TP's cuisine is finally being showcased on the stage it deserves. Now you can love the space as much as you love the food.

Bravo!

Dropped by the bar last night to have some wine on the way to a movie, Pichon informed us the menu was available at the bar.... wine (2002 St. Romain a steal at 40 something) scallops and tuna were better than ever. The space is beautiful...truely a great addition to town!

Within the inviting yet formal interior, beneath the exquisite and delectable food, indeed under the very noses of the fine staff, the new Corduroy hides a tragic flaw. One that perhaps most of its diners have noticed but few, a very few, have recognized:

The attractive Italian(?) tableware pattern has determinedly
right-handed dinner spoons
. They look symmetrical, but the bowl is flattened on one side so right-handers can eat soup more easily. It feels fine in the hand but really bizarre in the mouth, if you're a left-handed diner.

That's it folks, my only gripe about dinner last night. The rest was excellent. I was particularly enchanted by the red snapper soup, the warm potato salad that accompanies the crispy fluke, and the pepper-crusted seared tuna, but there wasn't a single thing on any plate that wasn't downright delicious. Bravo, Corduroy, and we've missed you.

BTW, if I understood Pichan correctly, food service will not be offered along the banquette facing the upstairs bar. Makes sense to me - nobody would ever get up to leave those high-backed leather butt-magnets if it were otherwise.

Within the inviting yet formal interior, beneath the exquisite and delectable food, indeed under the very noses of the fine staff, the new Corduroy hides a tragic flaw. One that perhaps most of its diners have noticed but few, a very few, have recognized:

The attractive Italian(?) tableware pattern has determinedly
right-handed dinner spoons
. They look symmetrical, but the bowl is flattened on one side so right-handers can eat soup more easily. It feels fine in the hand but really bizarre in the mouth, if you're a left-handed diner.

That's it folks, my only gripe about dinner last night. The rest was excellent.

Right-handed spoons??? As the world's second klutziest left-hander (my friend Jane is first...) I am a little concerned about wearing my soup tomorrow night.

Right-handed spoons??? As the world's second klutziest left-hander (my friend Jane is first...) I am a little concerned about wearing my soup tomorrow night.
I told my left-handed husband about the soup spoon comment, and he wasn't aware there were right-handed spoons. He'll be on alert ;). We'll be there tomorrow night too.

same name

same chef

same staff

same menu (for now)

same awesomeness

OK new location

Why would it need a new thread?

Well, maybe because someone spent a million or two or more in the new location...

[There are no hard-and-fast rules, but a change in location isn't sufficient to generate a new thread (e.g. Johnny's Half Shell). Restaurants change location all the time, and I don't have time to keep up with it all. I guess I could do a "flag-burning amendment" for uber-popular threads or bombshell re-openings, but I sort-of like the running chronological history of the restaurant all in one location. I started a new thread for The Majestic because it changed names and owners (i.e., Majestic Cafe no longer exists).]

The new restaurant is gorgeous! The area for the bar and the private rooms upstairs is most appealing. We had a our seats in one of the tucked away side booths, which I really liked. (To my husband's annoyance, I also kept saying how much I loved the wallpaper next to us. I loved the wallpaper ;) .) We also could see somewhat into the kitchen.

I'd not tried the lobster salad before and started with that--very delicate and fresh. My husband had the porcupine, which was on the specials menu. (ETA: I'm not even sure the lobster salad was on the menu before. I can't remember.)

For my main I got the scallops and mashed potatoes. That is the best dish I've eaten this year, bar none. The combination of flavors, the presentation on the plate, the mushrooms in the sauce...just everything. I was down to my last bites--half a scallop on half a disc of potatoes, with a couple of mushrooms alongside--and it looked just as beautiful on the plate as it did at the beginning. I was full, but I was not leaving that on my plate.

Before my husband ordered the whole chicken for his main, our server was careful to draw attention to the amount of salt in it from brining. I thought that meant the whole thing would be salty, but the amount of saltiness was variable as he made his way through the bird. The bit I got was quite good and didn't seem particularly salty. We drank a half bottle of Sancerre that held up nicely to everything we ate.

I'm very glad Corduroy is back.