Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

I agree. I've been looking forward to this for a while and was eagerly waiting to see the menu. But I don't understand why it's $75 either. Alot of the items are on the regular menu or similar to them (with the addition of truffles). And if you order the most expensive items for each course on the regular menu ala carte, it doesn't even reach $75...
I'm not one to defend high prices, but this common practice for New Year's Eve and other nights where eating out is common, such as Valentine's Day, and that is one reason I have stopped doing so on those nights. It is an annoying practice to be sure, but I do not think it fair to single out Corduroy for doing it.

That said, from what I've seen a number of higher end restaurants are offering their a la carte menus tonight or offering less expensive prix fixe options than they often do on such occasions -- off the top of my head, I think Vidalia, Dino and PS7s all fall in that category. Given all the recent advertisements of NYE menus, you may still be able to snag a good reservation somewhere else.

Had a lovely and delicious birthday lunch with my boyfriend here yesterday. The 3 course for $25 lunch deal is more than a good value. We had the Filipino style spring rolls, red snapper bisque, pork chop and crispy fluke. For dessert we had the pistachio bread pudding and the flourless chocolate cake - they were kind enough to put a candle on my cake and write happy birthday in chocolate as well. We had the run of the restaurant at 2pm and Dan was helpful and gracious. The new space looks great, very sleek and understated with interesting touches.

The food was wonderful and the portions very generous for lunch - we will definitely be back some time.

Had a lovely dinner at Corduroy on Saturday night. We were seated at a nice quiet table in the front room upstairs. It was my first time in the new place. The decor strikes me as classy, if a bit stark. The lights were a bit too bright and the room a bit too cold, but no big issues with decor:

High points:

-The Rouge Vif D'Temps soup. Really extraordinary. My sister-in-law declared that she may never have soup again because it can't possibly get better.

-Lobster carpaccio. I found myself kind of merrily humming uncontrollably as I ate every last bit.

-Sea urchin pasta. Full flavor of urchin without being overwhelming in anyway.

-Duck breast with fig sauce. Very good, though I couldn't taste much fig. I tasted five spice powder (or, more likely, some combination of the various spices in that powder), which I like but which I think overwhelmed the fig a bit.

-Venison with chestnut puree. My father-in-law wouldn't share.

Medium points:

-Wild mushroom blintzes. More like eggrolls than blintzes, but still good.

-Desserts. Both (baked chocolate sabayon and apple tarte tatin) were good enough, but not particularly memorable.

Low points:

-Service. Friendly, but very slow. The gap between appetizers and main course was uncomfortably long.

Mixed point:

-Corduroy has its entire menu and wine list on their website *with prices* (which as we know is not always the case). My father-in-law is a Burgundy snob, so he appreciates being able to look at the wine list online ahead of time and get a sense of whether there are any good opportunities on the list. In this case, he identified a few "interesting" red burgundies "at fair prices" beforehand. So, why is this a mixed point? Because the actual prices were different than what were listed online. Kudos for listing prices on your website; de-kudos for not keeping the prices current. More kudos for having a very nice wine list, which impressed even my snobby father-in-law who becomes indignant at the sight of most wine lists.

All in all, a very nice evening with consistently good to excellent food. We'll surely be back.

Because the actual prices were different than what were listed online.

I generally take the prices listed on the website for a small independent restaurant as a guide not as something etched in stone (I doubt they have a webmaster on staff). So how far off were they? Personally if it were within 10% I would not be put off by the difference, but if the $50 bottle I spotted was listed for $135 when I arrived, well then maybe I would count that against them.

I generally take the prices listed on the website for a small independent restaurant as a guide not as something etched in stone (I doubt they have a webmaster on staff). So how far off were they? Personally if it were within 10% I would not be put off by the difference, but if the $50 bottle I spotted was listed for $135 when I arrived, well then maybe I would count that against them.

Fair point (though I don't think it would require an on-staff webmaster to update a simple text page every once in a while). I don't know exactly how much it was off (I think it was more than 10%). It was enough to mildly annoy my father-in-law.

[Edited: I initially had mentioned the specific wine and price in this post as an update to my previous post. I got the information from my father-in-law. Simultaneously, I received a PM from Ferhat, asking if he could know the specific bottle so he could remedy the problem. I don't mean either to embarrass Corduroy or even to imply a "bait and switch," so I'm taking down the details. Suffice it to say that it was considerably more than 10%. We enjoyed our meal, and I appreciate Ferhat's PM.]

Our first trip back to Corduroy in a while. Wonderful as always. The sound and light levels here are just right. Somehow they manage to keep both at moderate levels, and I don't know why more places can't do this.

My husband had the Rouge Vif D'Temps soup, and he loved it. I was supposed to get one taste of it, but I took two! My first course was the lobster carpaccio, which was like butter melted in butter :P. For the main, I had my favorite: the seared tuna with sushi rice and hijiki. I think the presentation is different than it once was, but it's as good as always. I apologized to my cat for eating it all and not bringing her any :D. My husband had the lamb (which I swear tasted like beef) with garlic sausages, lentils and (I think) mashed potatoes.

I actually left some room for dessert but nothing on the dessert menu appealed too strongly, so we declined. No point in getting overstuffed. I also had a sazerac to start, which I enjoyed, but I've got no real basis for comparison. We split a half bottle of red wine, which worked well with the meal.

This is still my favorite restaurant in DC, though parking used to be a whole lot easier when they were at the Sheraton.

The email back from OpenTable when you place a reservation says:

"Jackets are preferred for gentlemen. No shorts or hats."

I've always erred towards the side of nice pants or a skirt, but I would think that nice jeans would get by ok as long as they were paired with dressier shoes and a sweater or dress shirt?

The email back from OpenTable when you place a reservation says:

"Jackets are preferred for gentlemen. No shorts or hats."

I've always erred towards the side of nice pants or a skirt, but I would think that nice jeans would get by ok as long as they were paired with dressier shoes and a sweater or dress shirt?

I don't see them barring your entry, but now that Corduroy is no longer in the hotel, the dress definitely went up a couple of notches.

Most gentlemen were wearing suits when I dined there last week.

In situations like this, common wisdom is that dark wash jeans are allowed if they paired with an odd jacket, dress shoes, and dress shirt. After all, the Prime Rib apparently allows dark wash jeans now.

In situations like this, common wisdom is that dark wash jeans are allowed if they paired with an odd jacket, dress shoes, and dress shirt. After all, the Prime Rib apparently allows dark wash jeans now.
Before I saw this, I was going to reply to say I'd possibly wear (unfaded) black jeans there but not blue.

I'll be wearing a jacket and kkakis. I just need to be able to answer my wife's inevitable question. I'll tell her to wear dark jeans. Women tend get more slack at restaurants.

they won't throw you out if you are wearing jeans, in my experience, even lighter ones, although you may feel slightly out of place, if you tend to feel that way.

Given that the online menu has prices, I was surprised to see they had switched to prix fixe format of $55 for 3 courses. $55 for 3 courses, what a bargain! Based on what my wife ordered, she basically got the dessert free. Anyhoo, let's get back in sequence.

My wife wore blue jeans (no holes) and a white parka and she was easily the most underdressed person in the restaurant. The white parka wouldn't have been very noticeable but for the fact we had the lovely window table which conveyed the sense that our table must be colder and therefore she must keep the jacket on throughout dinner.

As for the dinner itself, we added the Rouge Vif D`Temps Soup as a fourth course for $11 (which happens to be the price on their online menu). They kindly split our soup into two bowls so we can share. It is excellent as others have stated. We couldn't taste the foie gras in there though.

For the next course, I had to try the sea urchin pasta. The pasta is served with shredded dry seaweed. I'm assuming the concept is similar to uni (urchin, seaweed, pasta instead of rice). To me the seaweed was overpowering the flavor of the urchin pasta. The pasta itself didn't taste sufficiently of sea urchin - just enough to give my wife the yucky face but not enough to satisfy my urge to eat raw urchin. Caveat: I've never had sea urchin pasta before so what the hell do I know about what it ought to taste like.

My wife had a slendid lobster carpaccio. She normally doesn't eat cold seafood, whether raw or cooked but apparently she breaks that rule when the seafood is lobster and the restaurant is Corduroy (she also broke that rule at Komi). My one and only bite was full of flavor and the lobster meltingly soft.

Our entrees were venison loin and seared whole dorade served over cold pressed olives (special of the evening). My wife loved the venison and I loved the dorade, which was seared with some garlic. The fish was beautifully cooked and the flavor was magnificent. There is a little work involved eating a whole fish but very much worth the effort.

We were very impressed with the restaurant.

Given that the online menu has prices, I was surprised to see they had switched to prix fixe format of $55 for 3 courses. $55 for 3 courses, what a bargain! Based on what my wife ordered, she basically got the dessert free. Anyhoo, let's get back in sequence.
When we were there a couple of Saturdays ago, it was a still an a la carte menu. There had been some discussion a while back (see upthread) of plans to switch to a fixed price menu, but there didn't seem to be a particular timetable for it.

I, too, was surprised at the prix fixe format and wondered if it was Corduroy's version of RW or it was a permanent switch.

I went with my parents, brother and +1 to celebrate my birthday on Friday night and I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant. I think it may be my favorite in the city...I only wish I could afford to eat there more often.

As soon as we were seated Ferhat came by with flutes and champagne to help us start the birthday celebration, which started off a great meal in a wonderful way. My parents had had dessert at Corduroy a year or two ago but had never had dinner and they were beyond pleased with everything. I wish I could remember the name of our server, because he was wonderful. Friendly and joking with us at times, but never intrusive when we were in our own conversation. It was the second time I have been seated at the middle banquette table and I really enjoy the views it provides of the dining room, yet the intimacy of a booth.

My dad and brother started with the Rouge Vif D`Temps Soup and both used bread to sop up the last drops. My mom loved the bread and had about 3 pieces along with her Burrata Porcupine. The +1 was a little late so I ordered him the lobster carpaccio. I'm oddly enough not a lobster fan generally, but this version is so smooth and sweet it'll make a convert out of anyone. My duck egg and leg salad was tasty, but I think I would stick to the soups or the carpaccio in future visits.

I hadn't ordered scallops at Corduroy since they switched away from the garlic mashed potatoes (which were so good!) but the maitake rice porridge might even rival the creamy potatoes. Such a nice flavor and a texture similar to a risotto with a twist. The roast chicken and tuna received accolades as well.

We were so full by dessert but managed to take down most of a bread pudding, a couple chocolate tarts and the chocolate sabayon. That sabayon is so dense and delicious. I almost asked for a glass of milk to go along with it. The ice cream served on top offers a nice contrast to the cake-like chocolate.

Needless to say I can't wait for another chance to head back!

Email message received yesterday:

Dear Valued Guest,

The first 10 months in our new location have been very successful thanks to our loyal guests.

However, we have come to find that our new neighborhood is not able to support our lunch service. Corduroy will continue to serve dinner Monday through Saturday but will no longer be open for lunch.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Corduroy

Made a birthday trip to Corduroy...we created our own tasting of 4 appetizers and shared a main dish, consisting of uni pasta, lobster carpaccio, mixed micro greens, duck egg/leg salad, followed by lamb loin with lamb sausage, washed down with a pinot (name I forget at this moment...Ferhat?). Recently I have been going to too many places that undermine the integrity of the ingredients at the expense of looking "froo froo" and Corduroy is just the antithesis of those institutions, what a relief!

Made a birthday trip to Corduroy...we created our own tasting of 4 appetizers and shared a main dish, consisting of uni pasta, lobster carpaccio, mixed micro greens, duck egg/leg salad, followed by lamb loin with lamb sausage, washed down with a pinot (name I forget at this moment...Ferhat?). Recently I have been going to too many places that undermine the integrity of the ingredients at the expense of looking "froo froo" and Corduroy is just the antithesis of those institutions, what a relief!

Morey St Denis, Michel Magnien, 2000, 1er cru

Last night I went to Vegetate, wanting to support the Common Good event, but the bar was five-people thick, and even the prospect of a single drink seemed so remotely in the future that I decided to hedge my loss (which wasn't a loss), and move on down the road. Heading down 9th Street, there was an open parking space in front of Corduroy, so I nabbed it and headed inside.

There have been many restaurants that I've demoted in the Dining Guide over the years. At the highest level (i.e., bold), my standards for inclusion have become stricter, and nearly without exception, when a top-rated restaurant has undergone a significant change, it has been for the worse. So it was when Corduroy lost both its GM and Head Server two years ago, leaving one single great maverick cook responsible for nearly everything in an aging Four Points hotel.

Since Corduroy moved into its new building, bringing back Ferhat as GM, I've waited for the day when I could comfortably raise it back, but that day took longer than I thought it might. My first meal there (the first week they opened), was off, but after several encouraging dinners in the bar area, I was on the verge of elevating it. Unfortunately, my last visit - sitting downstairs with friends of the restaurant - had me unconvinced for two reasons: 1) the cooking was inexplicably off, and 2) Tom Power refuses to expand his menu.

However, last night, despite having to wait over thirty minutes for my entree (Corduroy was slammed, and I guarantee that Tom himself was hell-bent on cooking my fish once he found a free moment), the food was so good that it seems almost silly not to think of this restaurant among the absolute elite in town, especially given the atmosphere, service, and wine program. Raised back to bold.

Celeriac Soup ($11) had a carpaccio of raw red snapper sitting in the bottom of the bowl, awaiting the piping-hot, bisque-like elixir that was poured on top, slightly cooking the fish. This is one of those Tom Power soups that has you just shaking your head in awe, not believing how good it is.

While I waited for my entree, I got a small taste of the Sea Urchin Pasta ($17 on the menu, sample was gratis). Funny, because I thought sure I'd already had this at Corduroy, but I hadn't; I merely read about it on this website. Homemade pasta, rich, decadent, and fresh as seafood pudding - it's as simple as can be, and one of the great bites of food I've had in quite awhile.

The Pan Roasted Whole Dorade ($26) is the finest whole fish I've had in recent memory. Truly perfectly cooked, this glorious, moist, meaty, split fish sat atop an amazing black-olive sauce, and was served with a single, large halved pan-fried fingering and just a bit of simply dressed frisée.

Instead of dessert, I went for a cheese course, the Burrata with Arugula and Hojiblanca ($9) from the list of first courses. Pretty much what you'd think, this slice of well-stored, well-served Burrata was exactly the little blast of cheese I needed to help me finish my final sips of wine.

A superb meal from Corduroy, and a welcome to their relatively new and talented bartender, Kyle Wilson.

Cheers,
Rocks.

The Pan Roasted Whole Dorade ($26) is the finest whole fish I've had in recent memory. Truly perfectly cooked, this glorious, moist, meaty, split fish sat atop an amazing black-olive sauce, and was served with a single, large halved pan-fried fingering and just a bit of simply dressed frisée.

When I had the dorade, I thought it was by far the best whole fish I've ever had in DC in any restaurant. I'm glad that I'm not off my rockers.

We had a very pleasant meal here last night. We had our cousin with us, who had never been to Corduroy and who was very excited about trying a place she'd heard so much about. We started with cocktails and champagne. I had the lemongrass cocktail -- it seemed strong to me at the beginning, but by halfway through, it seemed just right <_< We opted for the 3-course menu with the addition of a second first course for each of us. I had the vif rouge d'temps soup -- which although not blow-me-away good, was certainly delicious. I may be committing sacrilege here, but I felt it could have been a bit thicker -- more pumpkin-y. It was followed by an appetizer portion of the lamb. Oh wow. This was a real star of the meal -- I got confused and shared two of my three pieces of lamb (!) but thus didn't have to share any of my sausage. It was all just really, really, really good. The lentils were the surprise hit of this dish, with all three of us just oohing and aahing over them. My main was the braised beef -- really fabulous. It was SO rich, and the sauce and beef had an incredible complexity to it that just blew us all away. Tripewriter's getting the rest of beef for lunch tomorrow (unless I luck out and he forgets to take it!), and I'm regretting giving it up a bit! Dessert for me was the pistachio bread pudding -- most and succulent, with the white chocolate ice cream, it was the perfect end to a great meal.

Tripewriter started with the oysters, followed by the beet salad -- I still love the presentation, with the goat cheese in a thin disc on the plate -- and then the duck for his main. This duck was great -- a little sweet (with a fig sauce) and very, very tender. Perfectly cooked. His dessert was the chocolate sabayon, which we all tried and enjoyed. I love that dessert, but it's so rich -- I don't know how he finished it! Maybe because all of us were helping him :rolleyes:

My cousin started with the beet salad -- she enjoyed it very much except for the onions hidden in the greens (she doesn't eat raw onions) -- followed by the burrata, which was very nicely salted and peppered and oiled. She had the whole fish and loved the flavor but was put off by the multitude of bones. I had a taste of it, and the flavor was excellent. She had the tarte tatin for dessert but wasn't able to finish it.

We had a great half bottle of Tablas Creek 2006 Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc for the first half of the meal, and I fell absolutely in love with it. After tax time, I think we're going to be bringing some home :lol:

The food was great, the company wonderful, and service impeccable. Yet another restaurant we wish we could visit more often...

When I had the dorade, I thought it was by far the best whole fish I've ever had in DC in any restaurant. I'm glad that I'm not off my rockers.
Fish lovers out there need to try this. (It was a special last night because I had emailed Ferhat to request it.) I may eat a fish sometime in the future which may match this, but I have no expectation that it will ever be surpassed. Purely wonderful.

I think it's been a year since our last dinner at Corduroy. We have saved it for special occasions, but after eating there last night we're feeling "to heck with it - must go more often!"

Soft shell crab was on the menu and 3 of our party of 4 had it either as an appetizer or main course and raved about it. Two of us had the Wild Mushroom Blintz wih Garlic Sauce which reminded me a bit of a crispy spring roll but ever so much better - very tasty.

For my main course I had Pan Roasted Whole Dorade after following Barbara's example and requesting it in advance.

Fish lovers out there need to try this. (It was a special last night because I had emailed Ferhat to request it.) I may eat a fish sometime in the future which may match this, but I have no expectation that it will ever be surpassed. Purely wonderful.

It is a lovely succculent fish, but rivalled by another item on the menu (which my husband ordered and I sneaked tastes of) - Seared Sea Scallops accompanied by an incredible morel sauce which was truly inspired. One more amazing dish one of our companions had was Squid-Ink Pasta enhanced with morsels of lump crab, stunning to look at and a great combination of tastes and textures.

Of course we also drank wine and ate desserts. The food, service and setting were all great. Got to say it was a flawless meal!

Not a big fan of desserts so I went with 4 appetizers last night (which ended up costing $56) while my wife ordered the prix fixe. In my ideal world, every meal would consist of at least 4 savory courses, which meant I starved all day in order to indulge at dinner.

The red snapper bisque was interesting. Thinly sliced raw red snapper was placed in the bowl and the the bisque (tastes like lobster bisque) was poured over the fish and thus cooking it. I really liked the fish and I wish there was a little more of it. My wife's pea soup with smoked bacon served cold was well received by her.

My second course was the duck egg and leg salad. I shared this with my wife but then I regretted it because I loved the dish.

My third and fourth courses consisted of softshell crab and squid ink pasta with crab meat. I'm gonna say I was not a big fan of their softshell crab which was served over a bed of greens. The greens got wilted (as described on the menu) and the softshell got soggy. As for the pasta, I probably could eat a double portion as an entree (in my ideal world, there'd be sea urchin in the pasta as well).

My one bite of my wife's rare big eye tuna was fabulous. She tells me the sushi rice and seaweed salad were also fabulous.

I did not order dessert thinking we would stop by Moorenko on our way home. My wife tell's me Moorenko is no longer there!

Ate at Corduroy on Friday night. I had made a reservation a few weeks in advance and my girlfriend and I were promptly seated in one of the two person nooks.

As we went through the menu we each ordered a cocktail - i think she had something with st. germain while I had a regular manhattan (not be confused with the special manhattan on their cocktail list). Both drinks were good and definitely fairly priced.

For appetizers we shared the lobster special for the night, the red snapper bisque and their lamb special. All three appetizers were amazing. The lobster was light and summery, with a great flavor of both herbs and lobster. Although a miserable night outside, this dish truly reminded us of glorious days. The lamb special, house-made lamb sausage with greens, was also delicious, although not much to look at on the plate. Personally, I thought the red snapper bisque was the best dish of the night. It was exactly what I would like a bisque to taste like. The soup was so delicious, we both, very unmannerly, searched for bread to mop up the final streaks. Unfortunately, we hadn't received any bread (we then requested it, and waited for it to be supplied before finishing our soup).

For our main courses we shared both the pork belly and the fluke with truffle tagliatelle. The pork belly, the "half" portion my girlfriend shared with me (more like the 1/3 she begrudgingly passed my way), was delicious - not too heavy and autumnal, as many preperations of this protein can become. The fluke was perfectly seared and moist, and although I am normally not the biggest pasta eater, I helped myself to extra portions of the tagliatelle, although I dont think I got the fair trade in the pork belly vs. pasta trade-off.

The only setback to this portion of the meal was that our bottle of wine, Lemelson Pinot Gris, had been removed from the table in order to allow it to rechill to proper temperature. It took us a long time to get the attention of our waitress and by the time the glasses were refilled, we were done with the meal (although the waitress was quick to note that we could recap the wine and take it home, but if we had wanted to drink wine at home, we would have(not trying to be mean)).

For dessert we split the chocolate tart with caramelized banana. This was very well done, which is the best compliment I can give since I am not normally a desert eater.

All in all, we had an enjoyable meal and I definitely look forward to coming back again. Corduroy provided an ideal mix of elegance and comfort.

Barbara and I haven't been to Corduroy in several months. We haven't been eating out much at all, because of our dog needing medication every other night. I'm glad we went. It was a relaxing meal and we found out about a good bargain as well.

If you're feeling like dinner in the dining room is too expensive, go and try the bar menu. Three courses, $30. You have the choice of soup or several of the starters, four entrees, and four desserts.

Tonight, Barbara had the charred tomato soup, and I had the red snapper bisque. The bisque has been rightly praised, but the tomato soup is new to us and tasty, bright with a hint of lime, and served with a whole fried tortilla with a hole in it.

For our main course, Barbara had the grilled lamb loin (substituted as they did not have the faux rib-eye steak tonight), served with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes.

post-129-125643477642_thumb.jpg

I had the fish of the day, the crispy striped bass with fettuccine with basil and crab meat. Pichon said that the fish of the day is usually one of the fish dishes on the main menu. The fish was perfect, tasty, just-done, crispy skin. The pasta was great as well.

post-129-125643478839_thumb.jpg

Tonight, in addition to their usual desserts, they also had the tarte tatin. Barbara and I both wanted that. Ferhat had stopped in at the bar to check on us, and had mentioned that they had some green tea ice cream the chef had made. It was very mild, and he offered to put that on one of our tartes. So, we did that, and it was good. Next time, I have to remember that the chef's house-made ice creams are excellent.

post-129-125643479561_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Pichon and to Ferhat, and to Chef Tom.

I had the fish of the day, the crispy striped bass with fettuccine with basil and crab meat. Pichon said that the fish of the day is usually one of the fish dishes on the main menu. The fish was perfect, tasty, just-done, crispy skin. The pasta was great as well.

My husband had this last night and loved it. It is on the main menu. As much as I wanted to order the scallops, a Delmonico steak that is currently on the menu grabbed my eye and I couldn't talk myself into ordering anything else. It was excellent, perfectly cooked and served with Lyonnaise potatoes and sauteed spinach (cooked with ham? bacon?). My husband is coveting the leftovers for his post-picnic dinner tonight. As much as I wanted the mashed potatoes that come with the scallops, the Lyonnaise potatoes more than compensated. (There are none of them leftover. :P)

We started with the red snapper bisque (me) and the duck egg and leg for him. The duck got rave reviews. I enjoyed my bisque (though it occurs to me that this may be the first time that I've ever ordered it, improbable as that may be). Eating the bisque, it occurred to me that one (of many) reasons I could never cut it as a restaurant reviewer is that I couldn't identify the flavors. The first rush of flavor in the initial spoonful of soup was snapper. Then the flavors progressed as I ate further. First I thought I was tasting beef, but that seemed highly unlikely in a fish soup. Then I thought maybe tomato, possibly more likely. For some reason, I really kept thinking beef. (Maybe I was anticipating my main course. :()

Service was wonderful, as always, and special thanks again to Ferhat for service above and beyond the call of duty.

The $30 3 course bar menu at Corduroy is one of the great dining deals in the DC area (even if I blew the value part by purchasing a nice bottle of Crozes-Hermitage).*

The first thing that I ever ate at Corduroy (6 years ago, while Peanut was still in utero) was the spring rolls. Still delicious. Beautifully fried with that addictive sweet chili dipping sauce.

One reason I love fall is the reappearance of duck confit. Tom Power's version served on a bed of frisee is a real winner with some unexpected twists. I don't mean to seem vague, but I don't want to be a spoiler. Seriously, the surprise touches should be discovered by each diner.**

Green tea ice cream closed out the meal. Very subtle tea flavor, if anything a little too subtle, but delicious. I happily admit to not being an ice cream connoisseur, but I've always loved the smooth texture and rich mouth feel of Corduroy's ice creams.

Several of the Corduroy team have been friends/acquaintances for several years, so take my praise with a grain or 10 of salt, but I'll again claim that you cannot get much of a better deal than the $30 3 course bar menu anywhere.

*The "doggie bag" wine law is one of the best things that has happened for diners in DC and MD. It's also a boon for restaurants. Last night instead of buying two glasses of wine, I spent more than twice that amount because I saw a bottle that I liked. Took the bottle home and shared the rest with Mrs JPW. So it was a win for me on multiple fronts. :(

**If you know Chef Power's food you can probably take a guess at the surprise flavors.

PS - A little something for DanCole

post-40-125751715164_thumb.jpg

Per Wikipedia: Corduroy is a textile composed of twisted fibers that, when woven, lie parallel (similar to twill) to one another to form the cloth's distinct pattern, a "cord."

As others have mentioned, the "distinct pattern" of Corduroy is the showcasing of pure flavors and honoring of exquisite ingredients. During a recent visit, I witnessed beautiful tapestries of exceptional culinary skill woven with astonishingly superior ingredients.

Kabocha Soup: (from the first course menu) With an infusion of foie gras, crunchy hits of salty prosciutto, micro-diced green onion, and an ideal, flavor-opening temperature, this is probably the most perfect soup of my MangoLife. The squash flavor was so true, yet the consistency so smooth, I could only envision the waterfall series of chinois that must have made this texture possible.

Un.

Real.

Sashimi Of Hamachi With Shiso Salad: (from the first course menu) Shockingly small slices of white cabbage, similarly slivered shiso leaf, a quietly balancing vinaigrette, and a wisp of wasabi as whimsical garnish joined the plate of masterfully selected and artfully cut amberjack. I am challenged to find enough superlatives for this melt-in-your-mouth sashimi and it's perfect complement.

Duck Egg And Leg Salad: (from the first course menu) After hearing about the bone-in confit duck from the main course menu, and thinking it sounded like too much work, I was delighted to find a de-boned version on the first course menu. Another stellar course, but mindless "user error" prevented maximum enjoyment. After the dish arrived, I left the poached egg to sit for a few minutes while I enjoyed the sashimi. I should have broken it right when it arrived. Not a fatal flaw, but more yolk would have been welcomed over the frisée. I am still not entirely sure what was in this dish, the layers of anise and crunch and savory all to overwhelming for me to fully process. Outstanding depth of flavor and interesting textures. I could have had about half the portion size, however, an exceptionally rich preparation.

My dining companion ordered the House Cured Salmon With Crème Fraiche And Watercress (from the first course menu) and the Peppered Rare Big Eye Tuna With Sushi Rice And Hijiki (from the second course menu). The sear on the tuna seemed more pale than expected, but my colleague reported the texture remained true and the flavor, superb. The accompanying rice included lemongrass, coconut, and of course, the seaweed. After inhaling everything in what seemed like 40 seconds, he commented that the tuna was probably the finest he had tasted.

As evening energy levels were low, we did not order dessert.

Other restaurants in this class may see each plate as an opportunity to showcase the chef, a parade of porcelain "ego mirrors". Instead, Corduroy seems to relegate the role of the kitchen to unleashing extraordinary potential from profoundly exquisite ingredients.

My next reservation is already booked. And that goes for the rest of you, too! Keep an eye on Events and Gatherings for an upcoming happy hour event sometime soon.

It`s been a great time and experience at Corduroy. I will really miss my staff, the greatest, the best and most reliable service team I ever worked with: Kyle(service director), Peter, Maureen, Amanda, Leah, Kris, Susan, John, Felix, Amanda C. (private party planner) and of course Pichan. I appreciate everything you guys have done and still do. All these people are really really hard workers and deserve the best.

I wish Tom Power the best and good luck after me. He is one hell of a great Chef.

My last day at Corduroy is December 31st, 2009.

It`s been a great time and experience at Corduroy. I will really miss my staff, the greatest, the best and most reliable service team I ever worked with: Kyle(service director), Peter, Maureen, Amanda, Leah, Kris, Susan, John, Felix, Amanda C. (private party planner) and of course Pichan. I appreciate everything you guys have done and still do. All these people are really really hard workers and deserve the best.

I wish Tom Power the best and good luck after me. He is one hell of a great Chef.

nooooooooo........

Wow! Let us all know what the next stop is. Best of luck, Ferhat, my friend.

After a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad travel day, I couldn't be happier when my dad suggested Corduroy for dinner. Ferhat's warm greeting at the door was bittersweet when I remembered that his last day is December 31! He will be missed and I wish him the best.

The crab custard is a perfect starter for a chilly winter's night. I think it's inspired by the Japanese dish chawanmushi. Chinese cuisine also has something similar but Chef Power elevates this homey comfort food with the addition of fresh crab. The custard itself is so delicate the consistency is closest to silken tofu. Service was excellent as always- I'm sure even with Ferhat's departure the rest of the staff will carry on the impeccable standards he has set here.

The $30 3 course bar menu at Corduroy is one of the great dining deals in the DC area...

After another wonderful dinner at the bar, I am still amazed that there are not more folks taking advantage of this deal. Granted that is does not have the full restaurant menu, but IMHO the crowds should look something like the ones at Palena.

After another wonderful dinner at the bar, I am still amazed that there are not more folks taking advantage of this deal. Granted that is does not have the full restaurant menu, but IMHO the crowds should look something like the ones at Palena.

Not to mention the fantastic service from Pichon.