Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I'm sure that some restaurants are doing okay right now, but I don't know of a single one that is.

I'd like to remind our readers that Corduroy (menu) is open for dining Wed-Sat, 5:30-10:30. I just made my reservation, and I encourage everyone to follow suit - Tom *loves* cooking for people, and he's one of the very best chefs in DC; the problem is that he's *terrible* at promoting himself or his restaurant. Corduroy could have won a James Beard Award by now, but they haven't even been nominated - not once. This hits home with me, hard - in a lot of ways, for what are (hopefully) obvious reasons.

In other news, I heard Kojo Nnamdi talking several times yesterday about Kwame Onwuachi, who has replaced Mike Isabella as the current media darling.

1 hour ago, naxos said:

We have followed Corduroy from the first location to the new. We frequented the bar for early weekend dinners and the restaurant proper to celebrate special occasions. While we are not dining out now, I am sorely tempted by chefs wonderful soups.

They do take out.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Excited to announce we have a new pop up in the alley behind Corduroy and Baby Wale.  "Clos Du Roy"!   The walled in patio is open each night at 5 PM  and taking reservations until 8:30 as all patrons

What a fantastic meal we had here on Friday evening. Compliments to @Tom Power and to @Mark Slater for amazing food and a great wine pairing.. It was seafood heavy - snapper bisque, lobster with grits

Had another wonderful meal at the bar a few weeks ago with @MichaelBDC. There was a private party on the second floor, but otherwise the restaurant was pretty empty. @MichaelBDC and I were the only pe

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

They do take out.

Indeed they do, and I've gotten it from them once, before they reopened for dining service. The food traveled beautifully, but the soups were cold, and it took 5-10 minutes to bring them up to temperature at home (once we did, they were exactly like they are in the restaurant). Again, this was before they reopened for dining service, so I'm not sure how things are done now - I'd just call and ask (or, I can ask for you).

17 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Indeed they do, and I've gotten it from them once, before they reopened for dining service. The food traveled beautifully, but the soups were cold, and it took 5-10 minutes to bring them up to temperature at home (once we did, they were exactly like they are in the restaurant). Again, this was before they reopened for dining service, so I'm not sure how things are done now - I'd just call and ask (or, I can ask for you).

I looked at the takeout menu and soups are still on- apparently available warm and maybe one can choose frozen if I read the menu correctly.

12 hours ago, naxos said:

I looked at the takeout menu and soups are still on- apparently available warm and maybe one can choose frozen if I read the menu correctly.

Yep - I picked up some frozen soup and a large wine order a while ago. Soup reheated beautifully.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Tom Power said:

Excited to announce we have a new pop up in the alley behind Corduroy and Baby Wale.  "Clos Du Roy"!   The walled in patio is open each night at 5 PM  and taking reservations until 8:30 as all patrons must leave by 10 to keep our neighbors happy.  We are open 7 nights a week weather permitting.  Haven't watched the weather like this in a long time.    Just received some beautiful Tuna today- fatty and fresh. 

YASSSS!!

Gonna make plans to come & visit

On 3/28/2020 at 9:57 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

Reluctant Home Cooking , Chef Tom Power in Quarantine

In this episode, Chef prepares charred tomato soup. 

Thanks for posting this Kat!!  I only wish I clicked on the link when I had fresh tomatoes!!!!  Only eight and half months to go!!!  

I also found it interesting that when he added all the ingredients to the pot, he didn't stir them up as he brought it to a boil.  He just let everything sit where it landed when he added it as the soup simmered.  I would have thought mixing it all up would have been better, but I'm going to try it the other way just for kicks.

5 hours ago, Bart said:

Thanks for posting this Kat!!  I only wish I clicked on the link when I had fresh tomatoes!!!!  Only eight and half months to go!!!  

I also found it interesting that when he added all the ingredients to the pot, he didn't stir them up as he brought it to a boil.  He just let everything sit where it landed when he added it as the soup simmered.  I would have thought mixing it all up would have been better, but I'm going to try it the other way just for kicks.

I don’t question what Chef does. His soup creations are the best, bar none. 

Im thinking he may have a better technique at the restaurant with more tools, and the impromptu format of recording may have jumbled his mind a bit😅

On 11/23/2020 at 3:33 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

I don’t question what Chef does. His soup creations are the best, bar none. 

Im thinking he may have a better technique at the restaurant with more tools, and the impromptu format of recording may have jumbled his mind a bit😅

And, his soups were just the thing to keep us warm and happy in the alley space over the weekend.  Alas, I'm afraid this past weekend may have been the last chance for folks to enjoy Chef Power's work at Corduroy for a bit.  It sounded and looks like Corduroy may be on an extended winter break starting now. Hopefully, they'll be back under better conditions early next year. 

Chef, let us know if you and your team have food available or other options for us in the months ahead and thank you for all your delicious food and the always warm service at Corduroy.  I feel like a Tom Power Soup & Filipino Spring Rolls Truck could be just the thing we need to make it through this winter...  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
On 11/23/2020 at 9:58 AM, Bart said:

I think stirring was edited out to keep the video as short as possible.  I watched the video again and was shaking the pot, it's not likely to burn before it boils if you give it a shake or two.     

On 12/1/2020 at 12:56 PM, youngfood said:

Alas, I'm afraid this past weekend may have been the last chance for folks to enjoy Chef Power's work at Corduroy for a bit.  It sounded and looks like Corduroy may be on an extended winter break starting now. Hopefully, they'll be back under better conditions early next year. 

Chef, let us know if you and your team have food available or other options for us in the months ahead and thank you for all your delicious food and the always warm service at Corduroy.  I feel like a Tom Power Soup & Filipino Spring Rolls Truck could be just the thing we need to make it through this winter...  

Thank you. Corduroy will be in hibernation until the weather allows us to resume outdoor dining. During that time we will have a limited takeout menu of mostly frozen soups to stock your freezer with.  Sort of like Souper Girl but for omnivores. Depending upon interest there may be other options but it will be mainly soup that you heat on a cold night in the future.    

• Like 1