Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

Thanks for the tip Crescentfresh!  :P   I'll have to work up something real purty for Friday!

Seriously (sort of) - I'm not looking for special privileges, just wondering if there was some way to (politely) say "Hey, I know you from DR.com"

If you make your reservation via opentable you can always add a note.

Thanks for the tip Crescentfresh!  tongue.gif  I'll have to work up something real purty for Friday!

Seriously (sort of) - I'm not looking for special privileges, just wondering if there was some way to (politely) say "Hey, I know you from DR.com"

well , at Corduroy , we all have those small chips and cameras installed to our back of head , so when it is a group gathering for HH or an event , we capture your face and name and store in the memory for the next 50 years.thats the best we can do right now , but Im trying to extend this time to 100 years so when it is your centenial we`ll give you a balloon and a lollipop. laugh.gif

I'm just playing off a quote Sietsema used many moons ago about Ray's the Steaks. and mdt is right about what to do. Be sure to ask when you're there if other Rockwellers are around. Like Firefly, odds are good you'll find one of us lurking at Corduroy.

I'm FINALLY getting to Corduroy tomorrow for their extended RW (it is still going on, right?).  I'm so excited!  But I have a few questions...

Are the Ron Jeremies only available at the bar? 

What is the proper dress?

And I'm pretty sure we'll be ordering the scallops and the lamb as entrees, but I can't narrow down the apps.  I want the mozzarella porcupine, the Vidalia onion soubisse, the lobster salad, and the corn chowder.  Which two reign supreme?  Or should we just order them all?  :wub:

All the men seemed to have sent a memo around to each other saying to wear a blue-striped cotton shirt. Since Jacques was shanghaied at the bar, he didn't get this memo and was wearing a pink seersucker shirt. Three of the women wore dresses (!) and one wore slacks. One gentleman wore a jacket, but no tie. Ferhat looked FABULOUS. I think the chef sent out the spring rolls because he knows that we can be bought off CHEAP. :P

All the men seemed to have sent a memo around to each other saying to wear a blue-striped cotton shirt. Since Jacques was shanghaied at the bar, he didn't get this memo and was wearing a pink seersucker shirt. Three of the women wore dresses (!) and one wore slacks. One gentleman wore a jacket, but no tie. Ferhat looked FABULOUS. I think the chef sent out the spring rolls because he knows that we can be bought off CHEAP. tongue.gif
I had never eaten in the restaurant and I looked over the posts and thought I had a pretty good idea of what I would order. I started by sharing the cheese plate at the bar. Mighty tasty, but also pretty filling. So once seated in the restaurant, I found myself in the mood for something not too heavy = the lobster salad instead of the soft shell. And instead of the scallops as planned, I ordered the lamb. Because I had just had some seafood. I didn't budge on the dessert - the kit kat bars. But the chocolate tart, had I known in advance, would have been a tough choice. Everything was delightful. So, like mdt said...just go and order whatever you are in the mood for at that moment. And when in doubt about the wines, Ferhat and Rissa were very helpful guides.

And yes, they knew we were the donrockwell gang in advance. Thanks again Rissa and Ferhat. (If there was any doubt, we toasted loudly to Rocks - for the benefit of the other rockweillers scattered around the room, of which there were several.)

Dresscode - I think all the men at our table had vertically striped cotton or cotton-blend dress shirts, and slacks, sans ties and sans bells. Other than that I was focused on the food biggrin.gif

Three of the women wore dresses (!) and one wore slacks.

And I probably would have worn a dress if I weren't going to a more casual party after the dinner. Where, unfortunately, I ruined my lovely white slacks by sitting in something orange. blink.gif

Among those four appetizer choices you named I'd definitely make sure someone got the lobster salad, because there's something undeniably summery about it. And I liked the Northern Neck corn soup quite a bit, but the onion soubise has gotten more flat-out raves.

Damn, now I want to leave the office and go over there. And eat everything.

First, a very belated CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEDDING!!! :wub:   :P Buckinghamilton, I was told that it was absolutely beautiful.

Now, on to the food.  Definitely go for the Vidalia onion soubisse and lobster salad.  My mouth waters just thinking about them.  Either you or dinerboy (why isn't he over here playing) must get either the scallops or soft shell crabs.

And of course, end with the KitKat thang.  But don't overlook the sorbets.  They are wonderfully luscious.

I'm glad you are finally going!

Thanks!! :lol: (The real fun was the afterparty, thanks to your wonderful sister!)

And thanks everyone for the advice- I think I'm sold on the lobster salad and onion soubisse. And the Kit Kat thang. And the scallops. And as much as I want Dinerboy to order the lamb, he just might get those soft shells...

I'll definitely report back!

We'll be there at 6, if any other Rockweilers are around. I'll be the one in the ventworm balloon hat, and Dinerboy will be wearing a blue cotton striped shirt. :P

To Rocks!

What is the proper dress?

Which two reign supreme?  Or should we just order them all?  :wub:

FWIW, I wore a skirt and heels. Most of the men seemed to be wearing button down shirts and the occasional polo. Women were in a mix of skirts and summer dresses.

I have to jump into the appetizer frey and vote for the roasted tomato soup. They had it on Friday night after something else was "unavailable", heh. My date, who got the mozarella porcupine, was jealous of my soup. You should do my plan which is to attend Corduroy twice during RW and try what you couldn't order last time :P

This was my first time at Corduroy and third restaurant during RW, and every single expectation was met at Corduroy. From the tomato soup to the lamb to the blueberry tart, guh, it was fabulous. My date was equally impressed and thorougly pleased with Corduroy, and more than once during the meal, said "THIS was the meal I was expecting when you started telling me about RW". (We had an OK meal at Vidalia earlier in the week.)

I'll be going again tomorrow with my girlfriends, so it will be another struggle to decide on an appetizer and main course. Dessert will be the kit kat bars I passed on last time!

Thanks for everyone's continued reviews of Corduroy. I'll be a fan for a long long time now :P

Haha. Yep, that's me. I operate on a strict no-pseudonyms policy.

Also, given the one fateful post I did about Corduroy (lets not revisit that low moment) I'm glad to give the restaurant the recognition it deserves. Chef Power was very kind to this budding blogger, and the softshell crab was a blessing.

Edited to add: It wasn't just DR folk who had glowing reviews of RW at Corduroy -- a number of personal emails about the meals came to me as well.

Edited by Kanishka

Yummy dinner at Corduroy this evening.

I started with the Northern Neck corn soup--perfect corn flavor. Tom Power is a soup rock star. Mr. BLB seemed a bit dubious that I was passing on my beloved charred tomato soup to try something new...

He had the lobster salad, passing in his favorite cesar salad at my encourgament. Luckily he really liked it.

We both had the lamb as our main course. It's so good, although it doesn't taste very lamb-like to me. The goat ravioli's were a perfect match and I had a lovely glass of pinot noir that went wonderfully.

Finished with the kit kat bars and the creme brulee. Both were great but I have to confess that I would have been happy with something lighter. I was pretty full.

Mr. BLB paid the bill while I stepped away so I didn't get to see who our server was but I suspect it was Ferhat--he said that sounded sort of familiar when I quized him on the way home. Men... :P

We had a lovely evening. I did have scallop envy when I saw them delivered to a near-by table. Wow!

We'll be back soon... I just need to find a second job....

Jennifer

i just wanted to chime in and say that i took advantage of the extended restaurant week run at Coduroy last night, with three other friends, and it was amazing. i will absolutely go back again. and again.

I had the Soft-shelled crab on wilted greens, followed by the lamb with goat-cheese ravioli, with my obligatory cheese platter at the end of the meal (which was one of the better cheese platters i have had in the city.)

(i forgot to add what everyone else had!) There was also a mozzarella porcupine (very good...although by the time i had a bite it had cooled...next time i might order it myself to get it hot), the oyster plate (yum) and the corn soup (of which i did not partake).

for the main courses, my friends had the scallops (amazing and cooked perfectly), the buffalo (which was a little tough for me, but i think buffalo usually is anyway, if anything other then rare...WHICH the server pointed out, so big kudos to her for that) and the new beef, of which i cannot remember the name right now, but i just read about it and all the praise it has been getting was well worth it.

we also had a great bottle of Pomeral (sp) and both my partner and I were VERY impressed with the wine selection.

everything was great, from the service to the food to the drinks.

thanks for all the recommendations!

Edited by jaytini

Going to Corduroy for the 1st time tonight...(finally, after salivating over these posts for some time!).  A logistics question - do they have valey (and is it reasonable)?  Thanks!

Yes, they have valet.

Get your ticket stamped (or kindly ask your waitor to do it) at the host stand following your meal.

Yes, they have valet.

Get your ticket stamped (or kindly ask your waitor to do it) at the host stand following your meal.

I did not see a Valet last night at all. I had foolishly made reservations for 6 instead of my usual 6:30 and had the worst time finding a parking space. I would gladly have handed over the car to a valet. Ended up parking illegealy and hoping for the best. Luckily we didn't get a ticket...

I did not see a Valet last night at all.  I had foolishly made reservations for 6 instead of my usual 6:30 and had the worst time finding a parking space.  I would gladly have handed over the car to a valet.  Ended up parking illegealy and hoping for the best. Luckily we didn't get a ticket...

The valet parking entrance is on the service road on K St to the left of the hotel entrance. They do fill up on occasion, but put out a sign when they do.

I did not see a Valet last night at all.  I had foolishly made reservations for 6 instead of my usual 6:30 and had the worst time finding a parking space.  I would gladly have handed over the car to a valet.  Ended up parking illegealy and hoping for the best. Luckily we didn't get a ticket...

When I went the valet didn't get going until later -- we had a 5:30 reservation, so I convinced the parking attendant to valet us a little early. Seemed odd to take reservations starting that early but not have the valet to go along with it.

But I forgot about all that when my plate of oysters arrived... :P

Going to Corduroy for the 1st time tonight...(finally, after salivating over these posts for some time!).  A logistics question - do they have valet (and is it reasonable)?  Thanks!

They do have a valet, and it's free if you remember to get your ticket stamped at Corduroy.

When I went last night at 6, there was no sign and no attendant floating around. I had to double park and stick my head inside the Four Points garage (I saw a door there, and lo and behold there was an attendant!) He took care of the car and I ran upstairs for the food. More on that later, but

If you like blackberries, I think Power hit the blackberry jackpot, so the blueberry tart was instead a blackberry tart. Um, scrumptious, but ask what ice cream comes with it (the vanilla wasn't ready so they were going to serve pistachio with it). I almost wished I had ordered that instead of the kit kats. Almost...

Hi all-

SO SO SO excited for my first time at Corduroy tonight. Been thinking about what to order all morning.

Wondering, though, if there is a good place nearby to meet dinner companions before hand. The only reservation I could get for 4 is at 9 pm (NOT a complaint--happy to make a night of it), but we haven't seen these friends in a bit and would like to catch up before dinner.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. We'll probably be cabbing or metroing, so walking distance (ahem, heels) is good.

Many thanks!

Brooke

Hi all-

SO SO SO excited for my first time at Corduroy tonight.  Been thinking about what to order all morning. 

Wondering, though, if there is a good place nearby to meet dinner companions before hand.  The only reservation I could get for 4 is at 9 pm (NOT a complaint--happy to make a night of it), but we haven't seen these friends in a bit and would like to catch up before dinner.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  We'll probably be cabbing or metroing, so walking distance (ahem, heels) is good.

Many thanks!

Brooke

You could always arrive early and sit in the lounge and catch up. Plenty of space and it is usually pretty quiet.

As for ordering, try the Northern Neck Corn Soup. I had it last night and it was wonderful. I will also echo the previous statements that the local tomato salad is very good as well.

cjsadler and I and were also at Corduroy last night. We had planned to meet there for dinner and then cancelled later in the afternoon because we both were in bad moods and it wouldn't have been a pleasant dinner. Luckily, we changed our minds again and did have dinner at Corduroy. It was a great way to end the day.

The meal was wonderful. I had the North Neck corn soup (rich, flavorful, but not too creamy), scallops (melted in your mouth), and the chocolate hazelnut bar (what's not to like? it's a kit kat) for dessert. cjsadler started with the mozzarella porcupine (a fun starter but the mozzarella was cold after a couple of bites), had the lamb (an excellent dish. the lamb was so tender) for his main course and the blueberry tart (tasted like summer) for dessert. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection.

Thanks, Rissa for being a gracious and attentive hostess. We'll be back soon.

Binni

We greatly enjoyed our first visit to Corduroy last night as well - can't add much since the vidalia onion soubise, tomato salad, scallops, bison striploin, etc. have been praised many times before...but we were especially taken by the desserts: pistachio bread pudding and chocolate tart with caramelized bananas. The greatest thing about both of these desserts was that they were not overly sweet at all. The muted sugar content really let you taste the flavors better, and also helped us get through the entire plates when usually we'd call it quits about halfway through. I thought the chocolate tart in particular was awesome...such dark, rich chocolate, but with a light texture, and a super-thin crust that didn't get in the way of all that chocolatey goodness. It reminded me a bit of the incredible chocolate tart at Laduree in Paris. My only change would be to nix the overkill chocolate ice cream on the plate - a different flavor (maybe coffee, armagnac, or a burnt caramel) would work better for me!

Yum - that was such a deal for $30.05!

Edited by AlliK

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I don't have a whole lot to add to the conversation that has not already been covered, but I had lunch here yesterday with coworkers. I hadn't been here in about a year, but it was fantastic. I started with the charred tomato soup, which was slightly creamy, but not overly so. It had a nice peppery flavor, plus a little hit of heat towards the end. Not enough to burn, but just enough to give a tingle in your throat.

For my main I chose the lamb, which, as others have said, was very tender. My coworker also had it and mentioned an almost livery (in a good way) flavor. My only quibble was that it came with a turnip/goat cheese gratin-I was looking forward to the raviolis. Don't get me wrong, it was still fantastic, I was just hoping for something else.

To end, I have the sorbets which I enjoyed. There were 3-mango, raspberry, and the third I could not place. It was brown. The mango was my least favorie, probably because I don't like mangos, but I could have eaten platefuls of my unknown brown one. It was sweet, but not overly so, with a touch of tanginess.

My coworkers enjoyed theirs also-more lamb, a couple of the pasta, and one of the flat iron steak. 2 also had the corn soup which was praised as being "corny." As they said, a lot of corn soups don't taste like corn, so this was a good rendition.

Overall, I love this restaurant. I only wish my meager salary allowed for more frequent visits!

To end, I have the sorbets which I enjoyed.  There were 3-mango, raspberry, and the third I could not place.  It was brown.  The mango was my least favorie, probably because I don't like mangos, but I could have eaten platefuls of my unknown brown one.  It was sweet, but not overly so, with a touch of tanginess.

That sounds like the banana sorbet that was part of the assortment a couple of weeks ago - it certainly wasn't what I would have expected in that it didn't taste all that banana-y, but it was definitely good.

They ran out of scallops last night around 7:30, just as I was working my way through the lobster salad. Disappointed at having to make a substitution mid-meal, I opted for the lamb and ravioli, and fell in love with the side dish. Equally as good as the ravioli was dessert, the chocolate hazelnut kit kat bars.

This was my first visit; I shall return.

They ran out of scallops last night around 7:30, just as I was working my way through the lobster salad.  Disappointed at having to make a substitution mid-meal, I opted for the lamb and ravioli, and fell in love with the side dish.  Equally as good as the ravioli was dessert, the chocolate hazelnut kit kat bars. 

This was my first visit; I shall return.

Yes, we got there about 8 and were disappointed about the scallops too, since my SO was looking forward to that. The substitute salmon was excellent however. I had the lamb and ravioli which was very good--the lamb was a bit chewy for my old teeth, but the flavor and crustiness were right on. And the soft-shell crab I started with was one of the best ever, as previous posters have noted.

They must have run out of Creme Anglais too!!!!, beause my fresh berry dessert came out with sorbet instead of the promised CA. Oh well, it was still a fitting end to the meal and to RW. Corduroy continues as one of the best RW deals anywhere.

My first time Corduroy experience last Wednesday was incredible- thanks again to all who offered advice!

Unfortunately, they were out of the Vidalia onion soubisse (at 6:00!)- which worked out well for me, as my second choice was the lobster salad, which ended up being my favorite part of the meal- plump, juicy, flavorful, summery- what's not to love?

Dinerboy enjoyed the oysters (but I think not as much as the small bite of lobster salad I reluctantly shared...)

Halfway through our apps, I remembered to ask about the spring rolls (we meant to arrive early and try these at the bar, but traffic didn't allow for that). Our waiter seemed surprised that we knew about them, and brought out three of the longest spring rolls I've ever seen after clearing our starters. They were delicious- we weren't disappointed. He told us they were the recipe of the general manager's grandmother (Rissa, I believe, who came to chat with the gentlemen next to us throughout dinner, and seemed lovely).

Scallops then followed for me, and lamb with goat cheese ravioli for the hubby. My scallops were delicious- some of the best I've ever had- but those potatoes and chanterelles! Mmmmm... (I've come to realize I'm just not much of a "scallops person"- nothing against these scallops, as I enjoyed them very much, but I was wishing I'd ordered the lamb).

Oh, the lamb! Fortunately, Dinerboy and I decided before ordering that we'd switch entrees halfway through. Medium rare, tender, delicious- and those ravioli were so fun! I'm getting this dish all for myself next time.

I ended with the sorbet trio (peach, mango, and strawberry- the perfect ending on a hot summer evening), and Dinerboy got the pistachio bread pudding (and was too full to really enjoy it- lucky me, I got to polish it off for him, as I'm the bigger eater).

Service was perfect. Oh, and at our waiter's suggestion we enjoyed a fabulous riesling, the name of which escapes me now. (Dinerboy switched to a glass of red with his lamb).

Looking forward to returning!

Edited by Buckinghamilton

Does anyone know the name of the Sauvignon Blanc from Chile they have by the glass? Had some the other night & it was perfect for a hot afternoon. Would love to get some for birthday dinner this weekend.

Friday was my first time, and Corduroy lived up to every ounce of praise I have heard about it. Not that I doubted it would.

I actually had the baby chicken (they were out of the scallops), which I would recommend to everyone. It was the most flavorful chicken I have ever tasted. The lobster salad with tomatoes was also awesome, I have been craving more ever since.

:P

thought I'd inform you about this "hilarious" and unusual event. laugh.gif Chef/Owner Tom Power of Corduroy is hosting a wine dinner on Tuesday, September 13, with AIWF and guest Executive Chef/Owner Tom Power and his Pastry Chef of Fat Canary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Information and menu follows:

"The Powers That Be"

Enjoy the evening with a 5-course dinner prepared by two extraordinary talents, Executive Chef/Owner Tom Power of Corduroy and guest Executive Chef/Owner Tom Power of Fat Canary in Williamsburg.  The two chefs will prepare a variety of dishes that celebrate the bounty of summer.  Fat Canary's Pastry Chef, Kelly Bailey, who worked under Marcel Desaulniers, the inventor of the ever famous 'Death by Chocolate', will prepare one of her creations for a spectacular ending to the meal.  The evening will include a selection of great wines to pair with each course.  6:30 pm Reception.  7:00 pm Dinner.  Corduroy, 1201 K Street, NW, Washington, D.C.  $125 per person, all inclusive.  For more information, contact Lisa Espada at 301.980.0985.

MENU
Passed Hors D'oeuvres
Chilled Turnip Soup
Salmon Skin Chips
Duck Leg and Foie Gras Rillettes

Dinner
1st Course
Tempura Morels with Tatsoi, Vidalia Onions and Spicy Miso Vinaigrette
2nd Course
Scallop Tartare, Shoyu Roe and Mizuna
Tuna Tartare with Oyster Mousse
3rd Course
Crispy Soft Shell Crab
with Corn, Scallion and Poblano Chili Salad
4th Course
Roast Sunnyside Farm Organic Wagyu Beef Strip Loin
with Roof-Dried Tomato and Marrow
5th Course
Assortment of Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

Another 2 words: Thai Peppers.

I had an early dinner at Corduroy yesterday evening with my daughter to celebrate her 17th birthday. We were not disappointed.

We arrived at 5:30 for a 6:00 reservation so we began the evening at the bar. I began with a glass of their new white burgundy and my daughter had the Tony Williams super grade, on the rocks. Once we were done with our drinks, we headed for the dining room.

Ferhat did a marvelous job of taking care of use throughout the entire evening. I don't know how he manages to be so efficient yet unobtrusive.

We ordered appetizers, my daughter went with the duck confit and I went with the Northern Neck sweet corn chowder. While we were waiting for the appetizers, a gift from Chef Power arrived. If you have had the buffalo mozzarella porcupine appetizer, imagine it with a jumbo North Carolina shrimp instead of the mozzarella. The shrimp came atop a pool of the tomato coulis with a topping of the shredded deep fried phyllo. It was a marvelous amuse. Thank you Chef Power.

The appetizers came, and were they ever good. The confit was served atop a bed of tarbais beans. I managed to snag a taste or two from my daughter and the skin was crispy and the meat juicy and flavorful. The beans were a perfect accompaniment. My daughter soaked up the remaining juices with bread. The corn soup was incredible, sweet and creamy and full of fresh corn flavor. I asked Ferhat if the base for the soup was crack cocaine. He said he did not know but that once in a while he saw white powders in the kitchen.

Well, the crack about the cocaine engendered a sort of revenge. A few minutes after the appetizer plates were cleared, Ferhat comes over with a little plate with a sprig of greens on it. On the ends of the stems of the greens were these little red berries of some sort, no bigger then the nail on my little finger. I said thanks looked at them for a minute and figured I had better taste one. Big Mistake. I bit one off of the end of the stem and immediately spit it out. The hottest damn thing I have ever put in my mouth. A couple of slices of bread and a glass of ice water eliminated most of the damage but I had this spot on my lip near the left corner of my mouth that was numb. I also took a quick trip to the 'loo to wash my hands; not wanting to get any of that stuff in my eyes.

The feeling came back to my lip by the time the main courses arrived. My daughter had the seared scallops and I had the Rhode Island stripped bass with corn and chantrelles. I guess you could say I had a veritable cornucopia for dinner.

The scallops came out in their usual presentation with the each seared scallop placed atop a mound of creamy mashed potatoes with the ver jus sauce. My daughter loved them. The bass was incredibly fresh and served atop a mound of summer sweet corn freshly cut from the cob, with a chantrelle sauce. The incredible mildness of the fresh fish went well with the corn/mushroom concoction. My daughter saved a scallop and I saved some bass for her two brothers to snack on when we got home.

Feeling moderately stuffed (and knowing that there would be birthday cake and ice cream when we got home), we opted to share a slice of the fresh white peach tart with ice cream. A wonderful end-of-the-summer fruit dessert. It came complete with lighted birthday candle and a happy birthday message written in chocolate around the edge of the platter.

Thank you Chef Power, Ferhat, Dave and Rissa for making my daughter's birthday a notch or two happier.

Edited to add: And this gem appears to be no longer hidden. The house was full last night.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

The Mrs. and I roamed through the happy hour menu before the baseball game on Friday. The spring rolls are as delicious as ever. Like crispy cigars of steamin' love. One dozen oysters (with an apple mignonette?) that were tasty, but not quite as briny as I was hoping for. (Remind me to complain to Mother Nature that her oysters are way too underseasoned!) A special treat from the kitchen of a new item: rabbit sausage. Very tender and tasty and juicy and I got to have two of them because the Mrs. wouldn't eat hers. (She has a pet rabbit at home named Ferdinand and, well, bunny is not on her diet). Ferhat kindly brought out a tomato salad for her when he learned she wouldn't eat it. Thanks again to the Corduroy kitchen/staff for the tastes.

By this time I was pretty stuffed and didn't share in the goat cheese with potato straw salad/basket (It's not called that, but I don't remember it's real name!), but it looked good!

A glass of Chimay and a couple glasses of Pinot Blanc and a g&t for the Mrs. Nice way to start an evening at RFK.

Wonderful pleasure as always to see Rissa, Ferhat and Tom B. I may have to stop in for lunch sometime this week.

Anyone planning on attending the Katrina dinner on Thursday night?

Yes, Craig and I have reservations. I told Ferhat that if any self-identified Rockwellians called and wanted company that we would be more than happy to be seated with said people. I am assuming that seating will be done as usual, although I could very well be wrong.

Yet 2 more words...wine list.

And two more: Pheasant confit. Mmmmmmmama!

Edited to expand: Chef Power has, for the last couple of nights, been serving roast pheasant. Last night it came as a tender roast breast and a quarter of confit, on a bed of sweet cabbage and surrounded by a levee of piped mashed potatoes that kept out the dark wonderful reduction surrounding it. We were also treated to the special scallops tartare, which I'm sure was delicious as it was eagerly lapped up by my dining companions. The cute little hot peppers were left uneaten I noticed.

It was great to see the room bustling throughout the evening, and we ran into Dcfoodie + 1-ish coming for what we hope was their last meal out before their baby arrives (due today!) That's going to be one well-fed kid.

Edited by crackers

Go get the tomato salad while you can. Seriously. If you're thinking, its just tomatos it couldn't be that good you'd be WRONG. These are the sort of perfectly ripe tomatos I used to dream about when I lived in Hawaii where there is no such thing as a ripe tomato. They seem simply dressed with basil oil, apple cider vinegar, and cracked pepper but that belies the depth of fresh, summer-on-a-plate flavor.

I'm thinking of stopping by on my way home from work today just to have another plate of these.