Crab Rangoons

Occaisionally Asia Nora has crab or lobster rangoon on its menu - but the menu changes regularly and I'd call or look at the website first to check. And since its not a typical Chinese restaurant, the prices might be a little higher, but they are deeelicious - not too greasy or heavy and served with a sauce that's kind of like Mae Ploy.

Anyone have any more up to date recommendations in Arlington area?

I've seen them at Oriental Gourmet and (believe it or not) Full Kee in Falls Church. House of Fortune in McLean has "Crab Meat Wontons" which may be Crab Rangoons.

I say "may be" because any implication of actual crab meat seems to be something other than a Crab Rangoon - there are more crabs on the seat of a Harley-Davidson than a year's worth of Crab Rangoons from City Lights of China. These were six fried wontons ($6.95) - identical in texture and smell to the ones you dump into your hot-and-sour soup, albeit in a crescent - stuffed with a white cream-cheese-like paste that must have been cut with mayonnaise. It had no crab-looking fibers in it at all, and I held it up to a bright light. There were minced white onions and tiny green scallions, but I went through THREE of them before I found a single teeny, tiny pink fleck, which I assume was a microscopic shard of crab-claw meat.

These shouldn't be called "Crab Rangoons" so much as "Krill Rangoons" or maybe "Plankton Rangoons." They came with a tub of thick, sweet, orange dipping colloid (as opposed to a solution or a suspension), bits of rind forever dispersed throughout. And they tasted good, too, because they're essentially toast points with cream cheese and orange marmalade.

Cheers,

Rocks.

<snip> It had no crab-looking fibers in it at all, and I held it up to a bright light. There were minced white onions and tiny green scallions, but I went through THREE of them before I found a single teeny, tiny pink fleck, which I assume was a microscopic shard of crab-claw meat. <snip>
Well, lucky is the man (or woman) to get real crab meat out of those fried goodies (unless you make it yourself). Mom's recipe incorporated lots of imitation crab meat, cream cheese, salt and pepper, and even minced celery (if you do use celery, leech the moisture out of it first), on wonton wrappers and fried to melty perfection. But, color me pink is the meat of choice, which will be why there's no "crab-looking" at you. Heehee.