2011 Spring Picnic Recipes

The poundcake (which I think I've made a hundred times, sorry it was a bit undercooked this time) is Camille Glenn's sourcream poundcake- I brought some strawberries, but when I looked at the giant clamshell, they looked a bit manky, so I didn't put them out. The pulled pork was pork shoulder smoked for a long time (I just upgraded to a Weber Smoky Mt. smoker & I love it!), pulled & sauced with this sauce. The salad, which is a great side dish, was just black beans, corn, & grape tomatoes w/ a vinaigrette that I change everytime-this time, I had lots of leftover orange slices from a lacrosse game, so it was orange & lemon juice, olive oil, s & p, lemon thyme & basil-I asked my son Thomas to taste it & tell me what it needed- 'too minty' was his call, I told him there was no mint, so he said 'whatever the green stuff was, there's too much, & it needs salt'. It's good to have an inhouse critic...

I brought the Swiss chard. It's Mark Bittman's recipe, from How to Cook Everything.

Thank you for that, my friend wanted this recipe.

I will let my guest and new member here now people are asking for his lasagna recipe.

I made the pea dip here.

I also made the gluten free fruity cobbler thing, but I am trying to tweak the recipe a little before I post it so it retains the crispness and doesn't get so soggy (which has to do with the GF part as it doesn't normally do this) I will post it on the gluten free thread in a bit.

And I made the pineapple turnovers, which was just fresh pineapple mixed with sugar and a dash of cinnamon put in puff pastry. Brushed with egg wash and baked.

I also made the gluten free fruity cobbler thing, but I am trying to tweak the recipe a little before I post it so it retains the crispness and doesn't get so soggy (which has to do with the GF part as it doesn't normally do this) I will post it on the gluten free thread in a bit.

Crispy or not, this was delicious. It was rhubarb, right?

I brought the Dan Dan Noodles. Recipe is from the February 2007 issue of Cuisine at Home:

Dan Dan Noodles

Cuisine at Home, issue 61 (February 2007), page 33

½ lb long-life noodles or dry spaghetti (I use Japanese somen noodles)

¼ c dry sherry

¼ c chicken broth

3 T chunky peanut butter

2 T soy sauce

1 T brown sugar

2 t chili garlic sauce

1 t toasted sesame oil

¼ c red bell pepper, minced

3 T fresh ginger, minced

2 T garlic, minced

12 oz ground turkey breast

chopped fresh cilantro

thinly sliced scallions

Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain; keep warm.

Whisk sherry, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar, chili garlic sauce, and sesame oil together in a bowl; set aside.

Stir-fry bell pepper, ginger, and garlic in peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, 30 seconds. Add turkey in large chunks and reduce heat to medium. Cook until it begins to brown, 3 minutes. Turn meat over and brown the other side.

Stir in prepared peanut sauce and break up the turkey. Simmer until turkey is cooked through and sauce t hickens, 4-5 minutes.

Serve meat sauce over the cooked noodles. Garnish with cilantro and scallions.

It was rhubarb, right?

Pineapple and blackberry, normally I do peach and blackberry, but I switch it up. You can use most any fruit that has decent texture/flavors for a cobbler.

It took years to develop this finely tuned palate, you know. B)