Glassware

porcupine

Dollar stores might be worth a call as well. My mom picked up three dozen surprisingly decent wine glasses for a large party for something like 80 cents each. Granted, that was in Virginia Beach, but the local dollar-type stores may have similar bargains.

I bought 2 dozen wine glasses at Bed, Bath & Beyond in Columbia Heights for about $15. The listed price was about $10 for a box of 12, plus I had a 20% off coupon. I use them at all my parties and don't much care if they get broken, although none of them have, so far. They are far from the "finest" glasses, but beat drinking wine out of plastic cups by a long mile. Plus, they go into the dishwasher.

Thanks for all the ideas! You guys got it: I won't use plastic unless it's a picnic; the glasses are for big parties; they'll stay in boxes until needed and go into the dishwasher; if they're less than a buck apiece I don't care when a few get broken... I hate going into Ikea but will suck it up (and maybe take a Xanax first) and give it a try.

DaRiv18: aren't those restaurant supply stores wholesale only? Is there one in particular I should try?

The one I go to quite a bit is Best Equipment Corp at 413 Morse Street Northeast (202) 544-2525. In my experience they do not turn away paying customers. I bought all my coupes there too, and uncovered like 20 authentic 2 oz pousse-cafes that I snagged as well. I bet you'll find something, they probably have about 200 selections of glasses. EDIT: it's mostly the Libbey selection, in case that makes a difference.

Porcupine, Fortessa is the North American importer for Schott Zweisel. They sell a number of their lines in their Sterling outlet store for about thirty cents on the dollar. This is the only outlet store they have and we are extremely fortunate that it is available to us. They also carry discontinued Schott Zweisel for ten or so cents on the dollar as well as handmade Zweisel for a fraction of what it sells for elsewhere. I'm including Tritan (dishwasher safe) stemware in this.

You can buy seriously good stemwire there for Crate and Barrel prices. Perhaps less.

http://www.fortessa.com/scripts/silverware.exe/extpage@d:%5Celevclients%5Cdevfortessa%5Celevator.prg?page=OUTLETSTORE

If you're not familiar with Fortessa they are responsible for much of the stemware and tableware on better restaurants throughout the D. C. area as well as much of the rest of the U. S.

Again, their only outlet is here.

Would you please let us know where you ended up finding what you need? B)

I ended up going to Best, mostly because I've always been curious about that little area and wanted to have a look around. I got what I needed but paid more than I wanted to. I just didn't have time to do any comparison shopping.

As an aside, I did make the time to head over to Sidamo afterwards for a cup of coffee. That was some damn fine joe.

Thanks for all the ideas. Next time I go to buy a large quantity of plates and forks (on the list; no immediate need), I will check out Target, World Market, etc.