Society Fair, Old Town - Mini-Eataly from the Owners of Restaurant Eve

djrobb

Am I just completely behind the times, or is anyone else put off by the name "Big Ass Chocolate Cake"? I mean, really, does anyone find that description enticing in any way? mouthwatering? humorous? does the description "big ass" really make you want to eat something? ...yuck.

Count me in as a fellow curmudgeon on this one. It should be in the refrigerated case at Giant next to the Helluva Good Dip.

Am I just completely behind the times, or is anyone else put off by the name "Big Ass Chocolate Cake"? I mean, really, does anyone find that description enticing in any way? mouthwatering? humorous? does the description "big ass" really make you want to eat something? ...yuck.

I missed that one on our visit yesterday, but since I can't eat wheat I tend to ignore bakery items. I agree that the name is less than appetizing.

^Actually I may very well be buying one of their products in the next month. Puerile humor doesn't offend me; it's the association of "ass" with something that I'm thinking about putting in my mouth that I can't get past.

A while back, I was watching Anne Burrell's show on the Food Network for some reason. I forget what she was making, but whatever it was, one colorful step in her procedure was to "brown the crap out of it." Yuck. No thanks.

I don't really have a problem with it, I mean it is a HUGE piece of cake and saying HUGE chocolate cake really doesn't have a very nice ring to it. I should try that cake, I LOVE chocolate cake, for size purposes though I haven't yet. I kind of need my Hubby there so I can split it with him.

I have avoided it in part b/c of the name -- not that it makes me think of tasting ass, but more that my ass is plenty damn big enough and that name reminds me that it's going to contribute to my already sizeabel badonka-donk.

Really? I would like to think most people wouldn't be so delicate as to find "Big Ass Chocolate Cake" offensive. Personally I find that sort of Humorous sensibility (at a market, not at Komi) endearing. After work, I want to go somewhere that doesn't take itself so incredibly seriously, while at the same time putting out the caliber of food that SF does. They could bill it as "Big fuckin chocolate cake", and as long as it tastes great, no complaints here. Lighten up.

Really? I would like to think most people wouldn't be so delicate as to find "Big Ass Chocolate Cake" offensive. Personally I find that sort of Humorous sensibility (at a market, not at Komi) endearing. After work, I want to go somewhere that doesn't take itself so incredibly seriously, while at the same time putting out the caliber of food that SF does. They could bill it as "Big fuckin chocolate cake", and as long as it tastes great, no complaints here. Lighten up.

If you think of "Big Ass" as a redneck adjective, meaning "Damned Big," it's not offensive at all - maybe a little contrived, but not offensive. If you think of it as a derogatory putdown (like, you're going to acquire a big ass from eating this chocolate cake), then sure, I can see it, but (and I'm just guessing here) I don't think that's the intent. I think Big Ass Fans desensitized me to this term used as an adjective.

Really? I would like to think most people wouldn't be so delicate as to find "Big Ass Chocolate Cake" offensive. ...Lighten up.

<_< perhaps you missed the part where I typed "doesn't offend me". But it bugs the fuckin' shit outta me when people misunderstand what's clearly written. But no worries, my tongue-in-cheek meets deadpan sense of humor doesn't come across well on the computer page. If it helps, imagine me laughing as I typed that post. Perhaps I should've leaned on the emoticon crutch when I wrote it.

<_< perhaps you missed the part where I typed "doesn't offend me". But it bugs the fuckin' shit outta me when people misunderstand what's clearly written. But no worries, my tongue-in-cheek meets deadpan sense of humor doesn't come across well on the computer page. If it helps, imagine me laughing as I typed that post. Perhaps I should've leaned on the emoticon crutch when I wrote it.

Fair enough. I misread your post as genuine offense, which is what I couldn't wrap my mind around. Meet me at SF and let's share a slice!

Fair enough. I misread your post as genuine offense, which is what I couldn't wrap my mind around. Meet me at SF and let's share a slice!

Good idea. :) I should at least try the cake before dissing it, right?

@porcupine, all I can think of is "Asian emoticons would've solved that miscommunication!" (=^v^=)

That is great. I'd never seen them before.