DC Parking Meter Confirmation Number = BS

DonRocks

In the past two months, I've parked at four broken meters in DC. All four times, I've phoned in and gotten a confirmation number "just in case they give you a ticket." Well, they did give me a ticket, three out of the four times. They don't even bother to look to see if you have something posted on your dashboard.

I contested one a few weeks ago, giving them my confirmation number, and describing how the meter wasn't working. I got my response today: guilty. Apparently, they have no other records of complaints being filed about that meter around that time.

What a bunch of BS this is! And I'm not paying it - I have a new license plate that I'll be putting on, so ha! ha! ha!

Well, in light of all the fund-siphoning occurring, every penny counts, right? ;-)

I have to say, this is not as bad as Chicago, where one can no longer park overnight downtown for free anymore. The average overnight garage costs $20+, and I can't remember the meter rates, but are probably the same as here (0.25 for 7.5 minutes). Yeesh.

Last month when we went to Fiola, the meter we parked at across the street turned out to be broken. Fortunately, someone pulled out of a spot on the restaurant side of the street at the same time, so we moved into that one. As we were headed to the restaurant, I saw someone else pull up and park at the broken meter. I don't know if they stayed or not. I don't trust DC on that kind of thing at all, so on the rare occasions I'm meter-parking, I don't park at one that's broken.

Given that the parking enforcement people don't obey traffic laws (e.g., double parking on a narrow street and blocking the street), I don't expect them to pay any attention to a sign indicating that a meter is broken.

I hate parking in DC these days - meters broken, meter machine won't recognize my credit card (really? Works everywhere else), constantly trying to stock up on quarters. It sucks and I have no recourse except to stop going to DC, and I don't want to do that.

Grrr.. .. .

All of the meters on the service road in front of Ardeo+Bardeo clearly state that they are for Mon-Fri parking. I parked at one on a Saturday one time and got a ticket for not paying the meter. I caught the meter maid and showed her the meter and the hours and days it said payment was required. She pointed out a small sticker on the side of the meter that read "MON-SAT" vertically. I have challenged the ticket but have not heard back yet.

I mean who in their right mind would read the hours and days on the front of the meter and then think to themsleves, "Maybe I should check the side of the meter for a small sticker that probably supercedes what is written on the front along with the rates?"

WTF, DC? And why do I have contest within 10 days only to give you "up to six months" to investigate? Pick up the pace a bit, please.

meter machine won't recognize my credit card (really? Works everywhere else)

Yeah, I think that's what it says when the request times out.

Contesting in person doesn't take forever, and at least you get to see all four walls of the rabbit hole your query goes down.

Well, in light of all the fund-siphoning occurring, every penny counts, right? ;-)

I have to say, this is not as bad as Chicago, where one can no longer park overnight downtown for free anymore. The average overnight garage costs $20+, and I can't remember the meter rates, but are probably the same as here (0.25 for 7.5 minutes). Yeesh.

Well, to be fair, Chicago has a functioning 24-hour public transportation system coming out of downtown. You don't really need a car there in the first place. Here we'll be lucky if the metro is still operating at all in 10 years.

What a bunch of BS this is! And I'm not paying it - I have a new license plate that I'll be putting on, so ha! ha! ha!

If you do not pay, the District sells your debt to a collection agency that will then report it to the credit reporting agencies - happened to me earlier this year.

Yeah, I think that's what it says when the request times out.

Contesting in person doesn't take forever, and at least you get to see all four walls of the rabbit hole your query goes down.

I definitely recommend going in person to the adjudication center. I've had a reasonable rate of success there. If you showed them a photo of the meter, I'd think you'd have a good chance they'd rule in your favor, especially if you show that there were conflicting instructions.

When I worked for the Country Vintner, I would frequently have to call the number, usually a couple of times a week.

I got three tickets when I had a confirmation number. Contested by mail all three (since I can't take a day off work to fight a $25 parking ticket).

I lost every single one. IIRC, I think all of the fines ended up doubling because of my lack of prompt payment.

I feel ya' Rocks, it's bullshit.

Wow--this really hit a bunch of nerves, including mine

They don't even bother to look to see if you have something posted on your dashboard.

I contested one a few weeks ago, giving them my confirmation number, and describing how the meter wasn't working. I got my response today: guilty. Apparently, they have no other records of complaints being filed about that meter around that time.

I have the number programmed into my cell phone too and have done the call, post confirm number in windshield more times than I can count. Somehow have dodged bullets I'm not known for dodging and haven't (yet? knock on wood) been ticketed in a situation like that. Wouldn't have even put the smiley goodeats did next to the fund-siphoning line. I'm convinced this stuff is systematic. I think it really started in force under Fenty as a deniable good budget management scheme and continues unabated under the current administration along with all the other stuff going on. As example, lots of experience with resident cars with proper ward parking stickers being ticketed in front of their homes.

Alternatively, anyone ever have like experiences in Montgomery Co? Just once, about a month ago, I got a ticket in the Bethesda garage while I had provable mobile phone parking in force. They allow only 15 days to "appeal." and then have to request a court date...only by US mail (no phone or email) simply to bring a printout from the goparknow vendor showing that the ticket was a mistake. The 'policy' that doesn't allow that proof to be emailed or faxed can only be due to one reason. Maddening stuff.

Wow--this really hit a bunch of nerves, including mine

I have the number programmed into my cell phone too and have done the call, post confirm number in windshield more times than I can count. Somehow have dodged bullets I'm not known for dodging and haven't (yet? knock on wood) been ticketed in a situation like that. Wouldn't have even put the smiley goodeats did next to the fund-siphoning line. I'm convinced this stuff is systematic. I think it really started in force under Fenty as a deniable good budget management scheme and continues unabated under the current administration along with all the other stuff going on. As example, lots of experience with resident cars with proper ward parking stickers being ticketed in front of their homes.

Alternatively, anyone ever have like experiences in Montgomery Co? Just once, about a month ago, I got a ticket in the Bethesda garage while I had provable mobile phone parking in force. They allow only 15 days to "appeal." and then have to request a court date...only by US mail (no phone or email) simply to bring a printout from the goparknow vendor showing that the ticket was a mistake. The 'policy' that doesn't allow that proof to be emailed or faxed can only be due to one reason. Maddening stuff.

Ah, Montgomery County and parking meters... Years ago-well, to be honest decades ago (in the '70's) I lived at New Hampshire and the Beltway in a high rise. I had four parking tickets that I had not paid. One night the doorbell of my apartment rang and it was the Montgomery County police. Two uniformed officers-they had a warrant for my arrest. For four unpaid parking tickets. Somehow I ended up on Sligo avenue at the police station paying the tickets. A number of years later (still decades ago) I tried to renew my Maryland registration. I couldn't. I had unpaid parking tickets, once again ending up at the same police station paying them. But with time and progress they were no longer having uniformed officers knock on doors with warrants for parking tickets.

Anyway, I am much older now. I have no idea if the Fairfax County police (where I live) knock on doors or if Virginia will refuse to renew a registration if there are unpaid parking tickets. Since that experience a third of a century ago I pay them on time.

... or if Virginia will refuse to renew a registration if there are unpaid parking tickets. Since that experience a third of a century ago I pay them on time.

I needed to change the address on my driver's license last year and Virginia refused to make that simple change because I had an unpaid speeding ticket from 1993 in Rhode Island. It was easy enough to settle up (took about two weeks through phone calls and mailing checks and forms to different state agencies) but the ticket plus fines was about $600. Pay your tickets, folks.

I needed to change the address on my driver's license last year and Virginia refused to make that simple change because I had an unpaid speeding ticket from 1993 in Rhode Island. It was easy enough to settle up (took about two weeks through phone calls and mailing checks and forms to different state agencies) but the ticket plus fines was about $600. Pay your tickets, folks.

Speeding tickets are moving violations, and are very different than parking tickets, I believe, when it comes to interstate issues. Can someone either confirm this statement or correct it?

Happened to Gubeen too, earlier this year. DC's so-called appeals process for parking tickets is bullshit.

DC's process for tickets in general is bullshit. It is power without checks and balances, and has become very corrupt as an institution. If people don't rally and do something about it other than complain (like I am now), it will only get worse. Regardless of what the DC politicians say, if enough people get angry about it, they'll change the system. I don't mind abiding by rules as long as those rules are fairly enforced, and the right to proclaim ones innocence and appeal is not unduly burdensome; as it stands, I'm more than happy to fuck DC government for having run amok.

I mean, I'm not telling anyone to go out with a paintball gun and shoot speeding cameras, but if someone happened to think of that idea on their own, and went around pulling a Cool Disco Dan? I'd smile silently. Red light cameras are a different story altogether, in my opinion, and I don't have a problem with them.

In Virginia, there are little blinking radar signs that say Speed Limit 25 "Your Speed is 42 MPH!" and every single time I see one of those, I slow down. I think it would be a great idea to put speeding cameras about a half mile after those signs - that way, you're truly targeting the scofflaws, and giving well-meaning drivers a chance to slow down.

Speeding tickets are moving violations, and are very different than parking tickets, I believe, when it comes to interstate issues. Can someone either confirm this statement or correct it?

The speeding tickets go through the interstate compact which most states are members of. Parking tickets don't, but if you are in a state that has a law where a lot of parking tickets can cause your license to get revoked, then it would filter through.

The amount of comment on this subject could go on and on, but here are my two cents:

--- the practice of dressing government clerks in judge's robes (to provide a little extra authority) is just silly .

--- would it not be a trivial project to design parking meters that report (to Parking Central) every five minutes "Hey, I'm working!" (Some kind of wireless gadget).

--- the DC government could sell a 24 hour "park in any legal space for as long as you want" pass,sold via internet, for $10. No need for little

pieces of paper - - - tag number would just show up on meter ticket writers portable computer as "Do not ticket". That would be nice.

(I would call it "Councilmember for a Day")

DC Government sometimes does things which defy logic. This is just a fact of DC life.

I think my most recent experience tops all. I parked on Q St b/t 14th and 15th this winter and went into Estadio at 130 for an hour. Those streets have the 2 hour parking signs - no meters. I left Estadio and went to Proof where I spent a couple hours in meetings. I parked outside and got a 2 hour sticker from the f'in machines (who got paid off on that contract). At 430 I went back to Estadio for a meeting and parked on Q St b/t 14th and 15th again, but across the street and down the block from where I had parked earlier. Came out 30 minutes later and had a ticket "observed more than 2 hours". Furious I appealed. After 2 months it was rejected. Then I paid the $10 for the second appeal. In both cases I enclosed my parking sticker from my Proof visit as well as an affidavit from the person I was with at Proof. Again the appeal was denied. At that point my only recourse was to file in DC Court, which I would have done but for the fact I was traveling when the 15 day period elapsed. This is a legitimate class action. A system so flawed as to generate a ticket in these circumstances is not consistent with due process. I would really love to file that suit, but I just don't have the time or energy.

People would probably laugh if you said it to them, but I think parking is one of the biggest issues in the city now. It seems like they have made a conscious effort to give as many tickets as possible no matter what the circumstances (buying the meter maids Segways?? WTF?). I have had the same issue, Don, and went down to protest in person with pictures and everything. I got the ticket taken off, but I wasted half of my day to do it, so I still think I was the loser in the end.

It's sad that it took over 4 months to approve the one piece of paper that was needed to turn the building I was moving into from a single family home to a condo unit (already inspected and confirmed, only a signature needed) but I have gotten 4 tickets over the last 6 months for a meter that had expired within 5 minutes of when the ticket was written. I guess DC government can be efficient when they want to (ie when they are bilking its own taxpayers and its neighbors for silly and sometimes false parking violations).

I guess DC government can be efficient when they want to (ie when they are bilking its own taxpayers and its neighbors for silly and sometimes false parking violations).

I have always thought that whoever runs the parking department should run the entire city. B)

They are a revenue generating entity & they are ruthlessly efficient. An old colleague of mine had to drop of a case of wine at Busboys and Poets on U Street. He parked his car right in front (rock star parking!) opened his trunk, grabbed the wine, and went in the restaurant. When he came out, 7 minutes later, his car was booted. He did, in fact, have multiple parking violations. There was no parking enforcement officer in site, but his car got booted in less than 7 minutes.

A call to the payment office, a large credit card transaction reconciled his account, and he was told that the boot would be removed within an hour. And it was.

Have you ever been to the DC Office of Regulation and Permits, the new building. They built this monstrous hall, where there must be the ability to have 80-100 windows open simultaneously if need be, though they never are. But once you finish at one of these 80-100 windows, you have to pay, because no matter what you are there for, it is going to cost you some money. And how many places can you pay? One. And how many payment windows are there? Four. So if they ever opened up all of the windows to help the multitudes of citzens and business people, the cashiers office would quickly become an epic clusterfuck.

There are no such problems with parking. They are ruthless pricks, who have crafted an unfair system to beat you into submission to pay your tickets; even if you should not have gotten them. And it works.

There are no such problems with parking. They are ruthless pricks, who have crafted an unfair system to beat you into submission to pay your tickets; even if you should not have gotten them. And it works.

But I have absolutely NO respect for any person or entity who has power over others and abuses that power, and I don't care if we're talking about schoolyard bullies, predatory landlords, asshole bosses, or, in this case, an entire government system run amok.

So yes, "ruthless pricks," but that's all the more reason to despise them. Based on your own personal experiences, think of the three people or entitles you hate the most in this world, and I'm willing to bet that at least one of them had some type of power over you that they abused.

in 2001 I got a parking ticket in Blacksburg, at Virginia Tech. My friends assured me if I don`t pay nothing will happen because the school is taking the money, Of course I did n`t pay and changed my license plate 3 or 4 times until I get a mail stating that ticket in 2001, if not paid in full it would be deducted from my tax return. That happened to me in 2007. After 6 years and few license plates later. I could not believe it.

And yes, I paid it in full with the penalties, after 6 years.

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else:

I have a credit card that I pay in full each month. The ONLY place this card has failed is at DC parking meters, on numerous attempts - until last week, when it failed a couple times while trying to make a purchase over the internet.

After a couple inquires as to why, here is the latest reply: "Thanks for your understanding, Don. It seems our fraudscreening service, MaxMind, has flagged this card (perhaps due to the unsuccessful attempts). I'll contact them to try and get it cleared. Thank you again."

Is it possible this was due to the failed attempts at DC parking meters?

I have not, but I have heard an increase in skimming device in this area. Maybe there was one on a meter device or elsewhere that you have used this card that caused the flagging?

I have not, but I have heard an increase in skimming device in this area. Maybe there was one on a meter device or elsewhere that you have used this card that caused the flagging?

Would those be the pay stations that you can't even get your card into no matter how hard you push, forcing you to walk a block to the next one with your fingers crossed, only to get back and find a ticket on your car? B):D

I'm just going to vent here since it's sort of on the topic and I'm still fuming, months later.

I parked at a meter in the Dupont area at 5:30pm on a Friday holiday (Emancipation Day - I checked, no meter enforcement that day). It was a M-F meter - I verified, no weekend enforcement.

I spent the night and returned to my car around noon on Saturday. There was a ticket for parking in an "emergency no parking" zone. The signs had been put up between the time I parked legally on Friday and when I got back to my car on Saturday. My car was there for less than 24 hours.

I swear, my head exploded.

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else:

I have a credit card that I pay in full each month. The ONLY place this card has failed is at DC parking meters, on numerous attempts - until last week, when it failed a couple times while trying to make a purchase over the internet.

After a couple inquires as to why, here is the latest reply: "Thanks for your understanding, Don. It seems our fraudscreening service, MaxMind, has flagged this card (perhaps due to the unsuccessful attempts). I'll contact them to try and get it cleared. Thank you again."

My main card does not work in the DC parking meters either, although it has no troubles everywhere else that I use it. I requested a new card figuring that it might need to be replaced. Looks like that may not do it.

My main card does not work in the DC parking meters either, although it has no troubles everywhere else that I use it. I requested a new card figuring that it might need to be replaced. Looks like that may not do it.

FWIW, the only card I have that has the magnetic strip almost worn out (which may be causing the rejection?) is this one, and the only plausible reason it could be worn out (and I mean the strip looks like you rubbed it with a key) is from trying to ram it into the parking stations which is like trying to have sex with a wine bottle.

(And the last time I did that I couldn't sit for a week.)

My capitol one visa is not liked by the payment machine at Fairfax courts parking garage, but my BBT Visa is, I am there often enough I could earn better points if it would take my cap one B) Same for meters in DC they don't like the cap one visa, I don't know why they don't like that card, it is the newest with the least used magnetic strip.

I just hate that the signs are horribly mis-stated. They say 2 hour parking during certain times, then no 2 hour limit after 6, but they don't say, but you still need to pay! They should say parking enforcement until 10:00 pm. How do they expect any to understand what they mean. And if you can't state it concisely on a sign perhaps it shouldn't be the rule. And all the stupid DC garages close so early. I love me some valet, but couldn't get valet at Central the other night because the street was closed to set up for the BBQ thing. Parked, and was told by an officer that we needed to pay, even though it wasn't indicated by the signs, it seriously took like 5 minutes for the transaction to go through, after two failed attempts. I'm sorry, but Arlington has very similar machines that take much less time to process payments, like 30 secs, and don't seem to have the same problems. Even in Annapolis you could buy day passes for guests if you went to the parking enforcement place, and they are notoriously strict in Annapolis.

I also remember when I lived on Capitol Hill- they towed our cars for a movie set one day, without notice or warning, and not to some towing place they randomly placed us on other streets, I had to wander around to find my car. Another day they ticketed cars stuck in the snow on a snow emergency route, when they hadn't cleared the road making it absolutely impossible for people to move their cars, unless they had 4 wheel drive.

I am really glad I live in Arlington now, I hated trying to deal with DC.

I just hate that the signs are horribly mis-stated. They say 2 hour parking during certain times, then no 2 hour limit after 6, but they don't say, but you still need to pay! They should say parking enforcement until 10:00 pm. How do they expect any to understand what they mean. And if you can't state it concisely on a sign perhaps it shouldn't be the rule.

Agreed - and even though you know this, I'll say it for those who might not: if a meter says "no time limit parking after 6 PM" or some such thing, it means, "you have to pay up until 10 PM; not for just 2 hours."

I have come to "understand" what the DC parking signs mean (in a nutshell: "if there are three signs telling you three different things, then the most stringent of the three applies"), but it took me months, even years, to fully realize this. And if *I* don't realize it, what about some poor sucker from a foreign country in a rental car? This is the capital of the United States, and a worldwide tourist destination. It is utterly unfair to have big signs on the street that essentially say, "it's free after 6:30 PM," and a tiny little sticker on the meter that says, "you have to pay until 10 PM." There is almost no chance of a foreign tourist being able to understand this.

Fix your parking signs, THEN talk about statehood. <----- I just pissed off a lot of people (but I did it on purpose). B)

I am really glad I live in Arlington now, I hated trying to deal with DC.

And I like how Arlington's electronic meters tell you exactly when you are free until (or when payment is due).

That being said: I have the same problem with one of my credit cards in Arlington, one I use everywhere else - it gets rejected every single time. A different card works perfectly fine.

And I like how Arlington's electronic meters tell you exactly when you are free until (or when payment is due).

It is pretty much the same system, but seems worlds easier for that reason. Like a TSA screening, there should be some common sense involved.

I also like that if you park in one place then still have time you can drive and park at another for running errands. And people give me unused time all the time at the courthouse in Arlington, which is really super nice. I can't pass on mine because they are my receipts for reimbursement, but it is really nice to see that type of kindness in people.

And I understand they are trying to force people to use public transportation or pay more money to their coffers, but when the metro is so expensive and has all the problems it has, Marc hours are limited, bus service is not user friendly unless you are in front of a computer or smart phone with a good app, well you can't push that as much as places with public transportation systems that work really well. Our pub transportation is a mess, so yes people are going to drive. (Sorry for the venting, but the bus system in Chicago was so easy to use)

The following was released today. Note the 32 cent charge each time you park.

GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Executive Office of the Mayor

Office of Communications

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 28, 2011

CONTACT: Linda Wharton Boyd (EOM) 202.727.5011; linda.wharton-boyd@dc.gov

John Lisle (DDOT) 202.671.2004; john.lisle@dc.gov

Tina Dyer (Parkmobile USA, Inc.) 770.818.9036; tina.dyer@parkmobileglobal.com

MAYOR VINCENT C. GRAY AND DDOT ANNOUNCE COMPLETION OF CITYWIDE PAY-BY-PHONE PROGRAM

Motorists Can Now Pay to Park with Mobile Devices at all 17,000 Spaces

(WASHINGTON, DC) – Mayor Vincent C. Gray announced today that the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has completed the rollout of pay-by-phone parking across the District. That means residents, workers and visitors can now use their mobile phones to pay for parking at all of the District’s approximately 17,000 on-street metered spaces.

“One of the most common interactions citizens have with local government is when they pay for parking,” said Mayor Gray at today’s announcement at a busy downtown intersection. “We want that to be a positive experience, and that’s why the District – along with a handful of other cities – is leading the way with new technology to improve our parking infrastructure and to reduce our reliance on outdated meters.”

Pay-by-phone parking gives drivers another convenient payment option. Instead of feeding cash or a credit card into a meter, the transaction is completed by phone, on the Internet or by using a mobile app.

“As we’ve started rolling out this service, the adoption rate has been very high. More than 30,000 people have already signed up and are using their phones to pay for parking,” said DDOT Deputy Director Gloria Jeff. “They like the convenience. For others who prefer to pay the old-fashioned way, they can still do that at a meter.”

The program is administered by Parkmobile USA, Inc. To use the new Parkmobile system, customers register for free at www.parkmobile.com. Once registered, motorists can use a mobile app, the Internet, or a toll free phone call (to 877-727-5758) to pay.

Motorists can also select the option to receive text message alerts and reminders. There is a $0.32 fee for each transaction, which covers the credit-card-processing charge and other program costs. The transactions appear in real time on the handheld devices used by Parking Enforcement Officers.

“The Department of Public Works’ parking enforcement supports businesses by ensuring turnover at metered spaces,” said DPW Director William O. Howland, Jr. “We want everyone to have their turn and then move on after their time expires.”

"Parkmobile is excited to launch our pay-by-phone parking service in our nation’s capital," said Albert Bogaard, CEO of Parkmobile USA, Inc. “We are very pleased that DDOT has chosen Parkmobile for our ability to create value through our parking payment technologies, while at the same time enhancing the customer experience through our industry-leading pay-by-phone solutions. We believe this alliance is another example of Parkmobile’s position as the leading provider of intelligent transportation systems. Washington, D.C. is Parkmobile’s fifth capital after London, Amsterdam, Berlin and Athens.”

From the WUSA Channel 9 Facebook page:

"Last year, DC Department of Public Works collected $80 Million by writing 1.6 million parking tickets (an average of 4,000 per a day). So far this year they've written 1.4 million parking tickets (6,000 per day) and have collected $50.1 million. Why do you think the city is writing so many MORE tickets this year? Oh, and please share your DC Parking nightmares with us!"

If there is some kind of bat signal to page Rocks, somebody light that mutha up!

I have also had problems with my credit/bank card not being read by the parking stations in DC. However, I've successfully used the ParkMobile system three times in the last few weeks - and am OK with paying that 33 cents to use it. Other than it taking a few extra minutes to set up an account on the first call (all automated), it's been very easy to use. You call, provide the station/meter number and select the amount of time you want to park for - takes less than a minute. Still...there's room for confusion.

On Saturday, I encountered one of those confusing/unclear situations with the signs on a pay station and the amount of time the system allowed me to purchase when calling. Sign said "2 hour limit, Mon-Sat, 8:30am-9:30 pm", but I was only able to purchase a little more than an hour of time, which would have put the end time right at 6:30pm. This was near Eastern Market and I was seated in a window where I watched a meter maid working her way down the street - before 6:30. She fortunately didn't ticket me, but I really had no idea if the system had an incorrect end time programmed into it or if the sign on the parking station was wrong. Glad I didn't have to find out.

I have successfully fought a ticket (by mail) on a failed meter that I reported by phone, though it was a while ago. Pictures help - snap one on your cell phone of the failed meter and include it in your letter (with a time/date stamp if possible). Of course, if you have a credit card, failed meters won't be an excuse since ParkMobile can be used everywhere.

Back before we were married, Mr. BLB wrote a 4 page letter protesting a parking ticket I got outside his apartment. It was dismissed.

When in doubt, lawyer up.

Luckily (knock wood), I haven't been ticketed at an expired meter that I've reported. But I have gotten to the point where I try to avoid parking on the street.

I think my most recent experience tops all. I parked on Q St b/t 14th and 15th this winter and went into Estadio at 130 for an hour. Those streets have the 2 hour parking signs - no meters. I left Estadio and went to Proof where I spent a couple hours in meetings. I parked outside and got a 2 hour sticker from the f'in machines (who got paid off on that contract). At 430 I went back to Estadio for a meeting and parked on Q St b/t 14th and 15th again, but across the street and down the block from where I had parked earlier. Came out 30 minutes later and had a ticket "observed more than 2 hours". Furious I appealed. After 2 months it was rejected. Then I paid the $10 for the second appeal. In both cases I enclosed my parking sticker from my Proof visit as well as an affidavit from the person I was with at Proof. Again the appeal was denied. At that point my only recourse was to file in DC Court, which I would have done but for the fact I was traveling when the 15 day period elapsed. This is a legitimate class action. A system so flawed as to generate a ticket in these circumstances is not consistent with due process. I would really love to file that suit, but I just don't have the time or energy.

Got you beat!

Guest valets car at the hotel. 45 minutes later the vehicle is ticketed for parking in a rush hour lane 1/2 mile away from the hotel, and is sent a ticket in the mail. Naturally, the fine is now double.

Time and date stamped video at the hotel confirms that the vehicle never left the garage during the time it was parked with us. There is no way the vehicle could have been where the ticket was issued.

Denied. $200.

Got you beat!

Guest valets car at the hotel. 45 minutes later the vehicle is ticketed for parking in a rush hour lane 1/2 mile away from the hotel, and is sent a ticket in the mail. Naturally, the fine is now double.

Time and date stamped video at the hotel confirms that the vehicle never left the garage during the time it was parked with us. There is no way the vehicle could have been where the ticket was issued.

Denied. $200.

This is pathetic, and just wrong. I don't see how they could possibly deny the appeal unless they think you're making the story of the video up.

I have a question: for the National's home opener, I parked on 7th right next to Oyamel at a 2 hour meter (not zoned, no rush hour restrictions). I Metro'd to the stadium, and put in 2 hours on Parkmobile - that was the maximum I could put in, and it did not give me the option to renew the session. So when I was there, I initiated a second, separate session for 2 hours. I returned and had a ticket for "Overtime Parking" because the enforcement agent spotted my car there over the course of about a 3 hour period.

I'll appeal, of course, but do I have a chance to win this based on having a second Parkmobile session active at the time? I know when the signs say "2 Hour Parking, Limit in Zone X" that even if you feed the meters, you can't park longer than 2 hours in that zone (per day?), but I don't think this is the case here.

Meh, either way it's twenty-five bucks max and was super convenient.

No chance, Don, I've been nailed for this several times, appealed, and received a letter informing me that it is unlawful to park in the same space for more than the maximum allowable time.

But I moved the car forward to the space in front of me! Honest! :rolleyes:

trying to ram it into the parking stations which is like trying to have sex with a wine bottle.

Which reminds me of something from my college days, long ago. I was in a theatre program as an undergraduate, and if you've never been in that world, you probably have no idea what kind of emotional carnage is to be found there. My first year, we all had an acting teacher named Maxine, whose surname I will not reveal, who was a skinny, prickly, power-tripping sadist. At a party one night, somebody said something like "can you imagine having sex with Maxine?" And a classmate replied "Having sex with Maxine would be like fucking a rifle."

On 6/27/2011 at 9:37 PM, Ferhat Yalcin said:

in 2001 I got a parking ticket in Blacksburg, at Virginia Tech. My friends assured me if I don`t pay nothing will happen because the school is taking the money, Of course I did n`t pay and changed my license plate 3 or 4 times until I get a mail stating that ticket in 2001, if not paid in full it would be deducted from my tax return. That happened to me in 2007. After 6 years and few license plates later. I could not believe it.

And yes, I paid it in full with the penalties, after 6 years.

This is the equivalent of being caught for homocide twenty-years later via DNA testing.