Which restaurants do foie gras right, or even "have foie gras"? I do not see it on menus often. My birthday is coming up and I want my foie gras starter! :-)

Thank you.

L'Auberge Chez Francoise usually has it. It's a special at La Chaumiere, and frequently on the menu at Marcel's. Happy birthday.

Thank you everyone!

We are going to Proof. Their menu looks great.

I do want to try Cashion's sometime.

[Great responses. I hope when everyone finds foie gras dishes on menus, they'll list them (preps and prices) here also, especially if they order and try them.]

I've had two titanically awesome foie gras dishes this year (and with only four days left, time is running out for a third). I have no doubt that Marcel's, Eve, CityZen, Adour, Proof, etc. could have plied me with more, but I just didn't order them there in 2012. An important disclosure: in both of these cases, I was recognized, and was brought a foie gras course as a gift from the chef. However (and I believe this is more important), in both cases, I made sure the dishes got on the check, and actually canceled another dish that I previously ordered (I just can't eat that much, and I hate wasting food). So, it's as if I ordered, and paid for, the foie gras in both cases although I can't promise that I didn't get a generous cut. Still, it's hard to fake quality, and both of these were so good that I had to stop myself from audibly moaning.

In September, I went to the bar at Fiola, and was served what at that point (and possibly until last night) was my dish of 2012, a foie gras so amazing that I was reminded that this is one of the few foods that could potentially make me lapse into a swoon. Three months later, I don't remember the exact prep, but it had figs (think of the combination), Manodori balsamico, and was just about a perfect dish.

Last night, I'd planned on going to Izakaya Seki, but alas, their website's holiday hours proved to be wrong, and a handwritten sign on the door had the Closed December 24-25 hand-corrected to read Closed December 24-26 - probably a last-minute decision. Oh well ...

My backup was Blue Duck Tavern, and I ordered a vegetarian risotto, followed by sweetbreads and a mushroom tart (making the entree my appetizer, and the appetizers my entree). Out came a foie gras dish so breathtaking that only the one I had at Fiola can possibly compare to it this year: Seared Foie Gras ($18) from Hudson Valley, with creamy mushrooms, runny hen egg (!), frisée, and brioche strips with a spread of truffle butter for dunking and sopping. One of the reasons I'm foie gras-shy is because it can be so bloody expensive, and sometimes you get this little strip of it; not so last night. This was a large enough portion where I canceled my sweetbreads and mushroom tart, and reveled in culinary ecstasy for about twenty minutes. One of my most memorable dishes of 2012.

If someone asked me where to get great foie gras in this town, the highlighted restaurants in this post wouldn't be bad places to start looking.

17 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

Nope. The classic pairing is Sauternes with cold terrine of goose foie gras (foie d'oie). Seared foie gras pairs much better with dry Alsatian Riesling. 

On 12/29/2012 at 6:22 AM, DonRocks said:

I had a beautifully Seared Foie Gras ($16) with coffee, cocoa powder, finely diced apple, brown sugar, and smoked honey last night at the Oval Room.

The old cliché worked: it went well with a half-glass of Sauternes.

:)

(I know, I know - it was the condiments. The kitchen sent out the glass of Sauternes, so they must have known it would work.)

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

:)

(I know, I know - it was the condiments. The kitchen sent out the glass of Sauternes, so they must have known it would work.)

I love good Sauternes. I have been lucky enough to taste the greatest Sauternes from the best vintages. Sauternes early in a  multi-course meal ruins the palate for the following wines, IMO.  

• Like 1

Flipping through Calvert Woodley's fall wine sale catalog, I happened upon this...

Asked what one of his most memorable wine and food pairing experiences was, Ziebold took us back to 1998 in Paris, when he was just 26 years old. He ordered a leek and foie gras terrine with truffles. He ordered a glass of Sauternes,  knowing that it is a classic pairing with foie gras. “The Sommelier actually talked me into doing a Riesling with it and it was really very savory because of the leeks and the truffles, and it was an aged Riesling so a little bit of that petrol worked much better with the dish.” It was one of the first experiences that opened his mind to how important a pairing can be to a dish.

• Like 1