Kitchen 911

legant

I'm making last year's WaPo pasilla Chile rubbed turkey for my Friendsgiving today. There is a ton of rub leftover. Wondering if there's any way I can make it into some sort of sauce for the turkey? 

Ideally I'd like to do it in advance and just warm and add drippings. Here's what's in it (its very rich, consistency is like a very thick tomato sauce):
6 dried pasilla chili peppers

20 cloves garlic, roasted (see NOTE)

2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into quarters

2 medium onions, one cut into quarters and one chopped

1 cup agave nectar

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard

Leaves and tender stems from 1 bunch of cilantro

And I have homemade turkey stock, old white wine, butter, flour, etc. Any ideas?

8 hours ago, reedm said:

I made this some time ago and it was great. https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/southwestern-turkey-with-garlic-ancho-chili-paste-and-gravy-803/amp?client=safari

As another idea, you could save the rub and use it in another dish. 

This is perfect, thank you. Not surprisingly I ran out of time today, but I have a ton of leftover turkey and I saved the pan juices and the extra rub do I think I may attempt this tomorrow. Also think the carcass will make an excellent turkey tortilla soup and I may use a bit of the rub for that as well. 

• Like 1

My Home Chef box arrived yesterday with everything mixed up, resulting in frozen produce. Typically the meat and freezer packs are on the bottom, separated from the produce bags to prevent this.

Anyway, question is - which things do you think might still be edible and which will I have to replace? Things that were frozen (and I mean solid, with frost on them) - whole carrots, several small whole turnips, bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix, brussels sprouts, red onion. The latter 3 were maybe not frozen completely through. Not worried about the red onion, am worried about the rest. Everything is getting cooked except of course the slaw. 

36 minutes ago, Choirgirl21 said:

My Home Chef box arrived yesterday with everything mixed up, resulting in frozen produce. Typically the meat and freezer packs are on the bottom, separated from the produce bags to prevent this.

Anyway, question is - which things do you think might still be edible and which will I have to replace? Things that were frozen (and I mean solid, with frost on them) - whole carrots, several small whole turnips, bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix, brussels sprouts, red onion. The latter 3 were maybe not frozen completely through. Not worried about the red onion, am worried about the rest. Everything is getting cooked except of course the slaw. 

None of those have high water content, so I think you'll be fine, depending upon the preparation of course  

I recently started Home Chef as well, and I've been very  pleased so far. Looks like we both picked the pork chops this week. 

PS: I am really disappointed with and angry at Stachowski's. What they sold me was a piece of fatty pork shoulder, not fat back. From Wikipedia:

Fatback is a cut of meat from a domestic pig. It consists of the layer of adipose tissue (subcutaneous fat) under the skin of the back, with or without the skin (pork rind). Fatback is "hard fat", distinct from the visceral fat that occurs in the abdominal cavity and is called "soft fat" and leaf lard.

Like other types of pig fat, fatback may be rendered to make a high quality lard, and is one source of salt pork. Finely diced or coarsely ground fatback is an important ingredient in sausage making and in some meat dishes.

Fatback is an important element of traditional charcuterie. In several European cultures it is used to make specialty bacon. Containing no skeletal muscle, this bacon is a delicacy.

At one time fatback was Italy's basic cooking fat, especially in regions where olive trees are sparse or absent, but health concerns have reduced its popularity. However, it provides a rich, authentic flavour for the classic battuto – sautéed vegetables, herbs and flavourings – that forms the basis of many traditional dishes. Today, pancetta is often used instead.

You'd think a place like Stachowski's would know that.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, now that it's too late.

1 hour ago, porcupine said:

PS: I am really disappointed with and angry at Stachowski's. What they sold me was a piece of fatty pork shoulder, not fat back. From Wikipedia:

You'd think a place like Stachowski's would know that.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, now that it's too late.

That stinks. What are you making?

I just thought of Red Apron--they might be a good bet in the future.

Normally I wouldn't get bent out of shape over a detail like this - I enjoy innovating with what I have on hand, including oils, which usually includes bacon grease, schmaltz, ghee, various grades of olive oil - but this time I'm trying to recreate my mother's minestrone as a treat for my brother and sister-in-law, who haven't had it in at least 11 years. Fatback does add a distinctive flavor. Oh well. "It'll taste good anyway."

Advice.  I heated a pot of soup to boiling at about 8:30 last night.  It contained chicken and beef, vegetables, and chicken stock (all of which had been previously heated and refrigerated overnight).  I  set it to cool, and forgot to put it back in the refrigerator.  When I saw the pot this morning, I immediately put it in the refrigerator… Because of the air conditioning vents, my kitchen is the coolest room in the condo, and so the pot sat in a fairly cool room overnight.  Do you think I can reheat it and eat it, or is it a total loss?  Smells OK. 

1 hour ago, dcandohio said:

Advice.  I heated a pot of soup to boiling at about 8:30 last night.  It contained chicken and beef, vegetables, and chicken stock (all of which had been previously heated and refrigerated overnight).  I  set it to cool, and forgot to put it back in the refrigerator.  When I saw the pot this morning, I immediately put it in the refrigerator… Because of the air conditioning vents, my kitchen is the coolest room in the condo, and so the pot sat in a fairly cool room overnight.  Do you think I can reheat it and eat it, or is it a total loss?  Smells OK. 

Looks like if you reboil it, should be safe. 

http://www.thekitchn.com/soup-left-out-overnight-is-it-still-safe-to-eat-178685

5 hours ago, porcupine said:

Anyone in the area carry diastatic malt powder? I can get in in time if I pay a fortune for overnight shipping but would like to find a local source. Thanks.

It's available on Amazon - if you don't have a Prime account (overnight shipping) I could order it for you--would just have to get it to you though!

• Like 1