Kitchen 911

legant

A few years ago I was in that wonderful predicament. I pureed them all and froze the puree in ice cube trays then bagged. I used them in the winter for strawberry vinaigrettes and strawberry cakes etc.

Do you think the Rockville market will have strawberries again? I still haven't made my strawberry jam this summer, and I'm afraid I missed my time frame. I was going to pick them at Butlers but I might have missed them?

Excellent idea - thanks.

About the Rockville market: I bought from Scenic View Orchards (Sabillasville, MD; seconds at $3.75/qt), and these are the tastiest ones I've had all year. They said their season was near its end. According to the Rockville market website, Scenic View will be there Saturday as well. At least one other vendor had them, but I didn't do any reconnaissance.

About Butlers: call and ask. Homestead didn't have them today (according to the website - I didn't call to verify), but two weeks ago they said they expected the season to last til the end of June.

Also, Larriland last year had them at least a week after Homestead was finished (fwtw). And, Larriland had unbelievably good black raspberries, which are really hard to find.

Pat, please do post that salad recipe, and thanks. :D

I'm not sure what I was looking at when I thought it said 12 oz. strawberries, because that's not what this says. But the amount may actually be close to the same B).

Terri's Strawberry Spinach Salad:

* Exported from Mastercook *

Favorite Strawberry Spinach Salad

Recipe By : Home Cookin 4.6 (http://www.mountain-software.com)

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Tried And True

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

10 ounces fresh spinach

chopped, washed and dried

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced

1/3 cup canola oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dry hot mustard

1 pinch ground cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Directions 1 In a large bowl, combine the spinach, dill and

strawberries. Refrigerate until chilled. 2 In a large glass jar with

tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder,

onion powder, salt, black pepper, dry mustard and cayenne pepper.

Shake well until sugar is dissolved. 3 Pour dressing over chilled

fruit and greens; toss to coat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

[she notes that she often adds more spices, including paprika

or Emeril's Essence. She also sometimes uses walnuts or pecans

instead of sesame seeds.]

A few years ago I was in that wonderful predicament. I pureed them all and froze the puree in ice cube trays then bagged. I used them in the winter for strawberry vinaigrettes and strawberry cakes etc.

Do you think the Rockville market will have strawberries again? I still haven't made my strawberry jam this summer, and I'm afraid I missed my time frame. I was going to pick them at Butlers but I might have missed them?

Butler's still has them--my son's school has gone picking there every day this week.

Personally, I'd go with strawberry fruit leather but here are 99 other ideas.

Too many strawberries! After making a lot of freezer jam, I have 3 qts leftover and no idea what to do with them (other than some ice cream, natch). What's the best way to freezer them? Any other ideas?

Excellent idea - thanks.

About the Rockville market: I bought from Scenic View Orchards (Sabillasville, MD; seconds at $3.75/qt), and these are the tastiest ones I've had all year. They said their season was near its end. According to the Rockville market website, Scenic View will be there Saturday as well. At least one other vendor had them, but I didn't do any reconnaissance.

About Butlers: call and ask. Homestead didn't have them today (according to the website - I didn't call to verify), but two weeks ago they said they expected the season to last til the end of June.

Also, Larriland last year had them at least a week after Homestead was finished (fwtw). And, Larriland had unbelievably good black raspberries, which are really hard to find.

I got 6 quarts of seconds at scenic view and they even beat the $3.75 since I bought so many. thank you for the tip! time to make jam B)

I find myself with an overabundance of pork rillettes I made from shoulder confit.

What can I do with them?

The snarky reply is: spread on baguette slices and eat. Invite friends over to help you. More seriously, though, rillettes are a relic of the days before every home had a refrigerator/freezer. They will last a very long time if covered with a layer of lard and kept in the fridge. Or stick them in the freezer and they'll keep for a year. You might enjoy them more during the winter.

Alternate suggestion: use as filling for taquitos or with beans in small sopes or chalupas.

Sorrel: a CSA surprise. WTF (other than salmon) do I do with it?

~ louise

I know sorrel soup is traditional in France, however, unfortunately, I can't recommend a particular recipe. My sorrel bolted this year before I got a chance to use it.

Lame question attributable to a really, really long week and inability to think:

Having an impromptu party tonight. Pizza will be ordered. I would like to make a salad to accompany, would like that salad to be creative, but my mind is blank. Vegetarians attending, so no bacon. :mellow: Also, probably, no fruit--I think I'm going to do a minted fruit salad for dessert.

Can any of you creative folks help a girl out?

Lame question attributable to a really, really long week and inability to think:

Having an impromptu party tonight. Pizza will be ordered. I would like to make a salad to accompany, would like that salad to be creative, but my mind is blank. Vegetarians attending, so no bacon. :mellow: Also, probably, no fruit--I think I'm going to do a minted fruit salad for dessert.

Can any of you creative folks help a girl out?

This is certainly not out of the box, but I enjoy a Caesar salad with pizza. Another idea would be to showcase corn and tomatoes. Cut off corn kernals and give them some color by sauteing in a pan. Toss with nice greens, local field tomatoes and chevre. Simple vinaigrette.

This is certainly not out of the box, but I enjoy a Caesar salad with pizza. Another idea would be to showcase corn and tomatoes. Cut off corn kernals and give them some color by sauteing in a pan. Toss with nice greens, local field tomatoes and chevre. Simple vinaigrette.

I recently made this quinoa salad, which had both corn and tomatoes. It was pretty good.

I know sorrel soup is traditional in France, however, unfortunately, I can't recommend a particular recipe. My sorrel bolted this year before I got a chance to use it.

Remember the scene in the Granada Television production of "Brideshead Revisited" (1981) when Charles Ryder (Jeremy Irons) and Rex Mottram (Charles Keating) dine at a restaurant in Paris?

Rex What is this soup?

Charles It's sorrel. I thought you'd find it interesting after the caviar.

Unfortunately, they didn't give the recipe.

Help! Due to laziness (in cooking and consumption), I cooked up a batch of tomato sauce with pasta and squashes, fridged the extras and have not eaten them in a week. Still good or toss?

It has been in the fridge after it cooled down and in a glassware container.

Help! Due to laziness (in cooking and consumption), I cooked up a batch of tomato sauce with pasta and squashes, fridged the extras and have not eaten them in a week. Still good or toss?

The USDA will tell you to toss it. No meat? I'll suggest you see how it smells, then reheat it in the microwave to steaming hot just in case. When I was a grad student I cooked one day a week and ate whatever I cooked for the next six to eight days, and I'm still here to tell the tale.

The USDA will tell you to toss it. No meat? I'll suggest you see how it smells, then reheat it in the microwave to steaming hot just in case. When I was a grad student I cooked one day a week and ate whatever I cooked for the next six to eight days, and I'm still here to tell the tale.

That is my experience, too. As lately as last week. If it smells OK, it is OK. Most likely. :mellow:

With a tomato sauce, if it isn't moldy and isn't fermented, you should probably eat it.

Has anyone made, or does anyone have a good recipe, for a birthday dessert that does not contain cane sugar? My boss is allergic, and I wanted to try to make a cake or pie that she would be able to eat. I thought baklava would work, but it has sugar, as well as honey, in it. Actually my husband is baking, and he doesn't want to substitute agave or honey as a sweetener without knowing how the change in moisture and flavor will effect the final product. So I am open to any and all suggestions!

Has anyone made, or does anyone have a good recipe, for a birthday dessert that does not contain cane sugar? My boss is allergic, and I wanted to try to make a cake or pie that she would be able to eat. I thought baklava would work, but it has sugar, as well as honey, in it. Actually my husband is baking, and he doesn't want to substitute agave or honey as a sweetener without knowing how the change in moisture and flavor will effect the final product. So I am open to any and all suggestions!

Honey cake came to mind, since Chinese people eat honey cake all the time (I think it's a Japanese dessert though) but it has sugar. So, I just googled "honey cake no cane sugar" and the following recipes came up (all without sugar):

Emily's Honey Cake recipe

King Arthur's Honey Cake

Honey Cake (via The Cake Crusader)

Hope this helps.

So, I added 2 T of Vermont-Something-or-Other's creme fraiche to a pint of heavy cream from Clear Springs Creamery in one sterilized jar and 2 T of same to a cup of said cream. Cheesecloth around opening. Out on the kitchen counter, around 65 degrees, average. About 30 hours have lapsed. Not all that much thicker than before. Trying to make creme fraiche as first stage towards whirling up some cultured butter in my food processor.

Okay, so how much longer do I wait for the magic to happen before I produce something that will kill me? Second, was I wrong to try to do this with [such a paltry amount of] creme fraiche instead of cultured buttermilk which I just didn't have around?

N.B. I used to make my own yogurt. Did that for quite some time and never had to throw out a batch. Of course, when you make yogurt, you heat up the milk which was not the case in this process. I've frequently made a semblance of creme fraiche by stirring together 1:1 proportions of sour and heavy cream, but not for a while since we've come a long way from the days of Silver Palette. I seem to recall it all sometimes takes longer than planned.

I'm really more interested in recommendations for this particular batch than anything else. Thanks!

So, I added 2 T of Vermont-Something-or-Other's creme fraiche to a pint of heavy cream from Clear Springs Creamery in one sterilized jar and 2 T of same to a cup of said cream. Cheesecloth around opening. Out on the kitchen counter, around 65 degrees, average. About 30 hours have lapsed. Not all that much thicker than before. Trying to make creme fraiche as first stage towards whirling up some cultured butter in my food processor.

Okay, so how much longer do I wait for the magic to happen before I produce something that will kill me? Second, was I wrong to try to do this with [such a paltry amount of] creme fraiche instead of cultured buttermilk which I just didn't have around?

N.B. I used to make my own yogurt. Did that for quite some time and never had to throw out a batch. Of course, when you make yogurt, you heat up the milk which was not the case in this process. I've frequently made a semblance of creme fraiche by stirring together 1:1 proportions of sour and heavy cream, but not for a while since we've come a long way from the days of Silver Palette. I seem to recall it all sometimes takes longer than planned.

I'm really more interested in recommendations for this particular batch than anything else. Thanks!

I think that the problem is likely the temperature--it's a bit cool @65 degrees ambient temp. Plus you say you didn't warm the cream before adding the creme fraiche, so you gave it quite a cold start. You can try setting the jar in some warm water, or setting it on an electric heat pad set on low, putting it in a warm turned-off oven and leave it there overnight with the oven light on.

I think that the problem is likely the temperature--it's a bit cool @65 degrees ambient temp. Plus you say you didn't warm the cream before adding the creme fraiche, so you gave it quite a cold start. You can try setting the jar in some warm water, or setting it on an electric heat pad set on low, putting it in a warm turned-off oven and leave it there overnight with the oven light on.

Thanks, Zora. You are right. When I got home around 5 yesterday, the cream had thickened. Sure enough, the glass surface of the jars was a little cold despite the fact that the oven was on much of the day. Took one jar out of the fridge this morning to stir contents and taste. Amazing! Pale yellow. I plan to reserve a small portion as is because it's so good and will use smoked Maldon to lightly salt the rest. (Sometimes you gotta split infinitives. And write sentence fragments.)

Thanks, Zora. You are right. When I got home around 5 yesterday, the cream had thickened. Sure enough, the glass surface of the jars was a little cold despite the fact that the oven was on much of the day. Took one jar out of the fridge this morning to stir contents and taste. Amazing! Pale yellow. I plan to reserve a small portion as is because it's so good and will use smoked Maldon to lightly salt the rest. (Sometimes you gotta split infinitives. And write sentence fragments.)

Click here for an informational treatise on butter and cultured butter making from The New England Cheesemaking Co.

How long would you say cranberry sauce is good in the fridge? My mom says "forever--a few weeks" because it's so acidy, so the stuff I'm making tonight would be good well past Thanksgiving, but I'm looking for either confirming or differing opinions. (I can just stick it in the freezer, but it's pretty full, I'm out of freezer bags, and if I don't have to risk freezer burn taste, I'd rather not.)

How long would you say cranberry sauce is good in the fridge? My mom says "forever--a few weeks" because it's so acidy, so the stuff I'm making tonight would be good well past Thanksgiving, but I'm looking for either confirming or differing opinions. (I can just stick it in the freezer, but it's pretty full, I'm out of freezer bags, and if I don't have to risk freezer burn taste, I'd rather not.)

I'd say a week, ten days max.

I'd say a week, ten days max.

At least the ten days, probably closer to two weeks. I'm closer to siding with your mom on this, because it's not just acidic, which it is, but cranberry has some antibacterial qualities (particularly against e.coli) ... but forever is surely pushing it. Two weeks or a little more would have you pretty safe, I'd think, as long as it's well sealed and the fridge has good air flow and is at a good cool temp.

At least the ten days, probably closer to two weeks. I'm closer to siding with your mom on this, because it's not just acidic, which it is, but cranberry has some antibacterial qualities (particularly against e.coli) ... but forever is surely pushing it. Two weeks or a little more would have you pretty safe, I'd think, as long as it's well sealed and the fridge has good air flow and is at a good cool temp.

Well, yeah--"forever" is just Mom's way of saying "longer than meat." ;)

Thanks!

Hold on a minute there. All this a week or ten days stuff is crazy. Cranberry sauce will keep in the fridge indefinitely. I've made cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving one year and served it again two years later. Only two problems should ever occur with cranberry sauce: There is a slight possibility of mold, which will be easily visible. If that happens, throw it away. Or it may get unpleasantly crystallized, in which case just put it in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. It will be completely renewed.

Would you throw away a jar of jam after a week or ten days?

Hold on a minute there. All this a week or ten days stuff is crazy. Cranberry sauce will keep in the fridge indefinitely. I've made cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving one year and served it again two years later. Only two problems should ever occur with cranberry sauce: There is a slight possibility of mold, which will be easily visible. If that happens, throw it away. Or it may get unpleasantly crystallized, in which case just put it in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. It will be completely renewed.

Would you throw away a jar of jam after a week or ten days?

second. cranberries are very acidic, and if it has enough sugar in it, it's basically jam, and will last for many months in the refrigerator.

second. cranberries are very acidic, and if it has enough sugar in it, it's basically jam, and will last for many months in the refrigerator.

Indeed, I remembered a little while ago that I have a jar of cranberry sauce in the fridge that is at least two years old, and I think it's probably three. I just pulled it out from the back of the bottom shelf. I had to run hot water on the lid to unscrew it, but when I had it opened I took a spoonful and ate it. Perfectly fine. Not even a hint of a stale or off taste, and certainly nothing remotely approaching spoilage. I think I'll serve it next week.

One alternative is to use a new (or insanely clean) thermos for this purpose. Remember to pre-heat the thermos with hot water. I've used this method many times to make overnight creme fraiche. Unless I have an emergency need for creme fraiche, I just can't see paying the premium price for store-bought when it is so easy to make at home.

Home made cornbread stuffing 911 -- how many days before Thanksgiving should I make the cornbread so it is dry enough for Thursday? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday?

This year, I'd make it as early as possible. I left out the white bread for my stuffing on Sunday, and it's been so humid that it's still not dry.

Home made cornbread stuffing 911 -- how many days before Thanksgiving should I make the cornbread so it is dry enough for Thursday? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday?

I'd say Tuesday, but I'm not making mine until Wednesday AM because I don't have time before then. Just make sure to do everything you normally wouldn't do storage-wise so you ensure it gets dried out.

This year, I'd make it as early as possible. I left out the white bread for my stuffing on Sunday, and it's been so humid that it's still not dry.

Last year, I made mine five days ahead and it got moldy, so day-of I had to make more. It turned out fine -- after it had cooled, I stuck it into a low (~170 degree) toaster oven for an hour, and it got dry enough to turn into stuffing. I'll probably make mine tomorrow this year, but I wouldn't freak out too much -- you can easily remove some moisture on low heat.

I bought 2 poussin from EF at the Dupont market on Sunday. They were meant to go right into our freezer, but wound up in the fridge and are now pretty much on their way to being defrosted. I can cook them tommorow, but had plans to go out. The next night I can serve them is Saturday.

Can I refreeze them? Would you hold them in the fridge until Sat.?

Thanks.

I would not refreeze the poussin, I think the quality of the meat will suffer. (had to look up what it was, a young chicken). I would take them out of the original package, rinse thoroughly inside and out, and rub all over with salt to hold for a couple more days, but not Saturday. Store in a ziplock in the back of the refrigerator, at the lowest point, which is the coldest part.

We have two refrigerators, long story, one that is almost never used, and the unused one would probably keep the chicken cold enough to last until Saturday, but the one we open the door to many times a day, letting out the cold air, just is not cold enough.

Doesn't everyone find that chicken that has ever been frozen is unacceptable?

To the parrot, perhaps.

But otherwise, freezing it properly (vaccum seal, quick temperature drop, etc.), and assuming a high quality product to begin with, frozen works well for home recipes. My chicken source is a local farm, and breaking the chickens down for freezing within 24 hours makes a huge difference.

Doesn't everyone find that chicken that has ever been frozen is unacceptable?

All of the fresh (non smoked/cured) proteins at the farmers markets are sold frozen. The poussins have been very tender and juicy, so I don't want to lose quality having treated us to the purchase.

I'm leaning towards cooking them today just as the little chickens that they are, with meyer lemon, fresh thyme and rosemary, evoo and butter (s&p). I may spatchcock and sear under a brick, then turn over and put the pan in the oven at a higher temp.

Thanks!

All of the fresh (non smoked/cured) proteins at the farmers markets are sold frozen.

As a sometime market employee for EcoFriendly, I can tell you that not all of their meat is sold frozen. There are times when fresh, recently processed/packaged items are available, including beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. It just depends on the season. At EFF, the best way to tell is to look at the 'expiration' date on the label. It is one year from the date the meat was packaged; if the month/day are within the last week or so, the product should be fresh and never frozen*.

Sounds like you've already cooked the poussins. If the vacuum seal wasn't broken and they were still partially frozen, you could probably have put them in the freezer. If they were fresh (unlikely at this time of year) and the seal was good, they might have held in the refrigerator until tomorrow or Friday. Your spatchcocking plan sounds like a very good (tasting) one!

* Just to clarify- if the date on the package is 8/17/12, the product was packaged on 8/17/11.

As a sometime market employee for EcoFriendly, I can tell you that not all of their meat is sold frozen. There are times when fresh, recently processed/packaged items are available, including beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. It just depends on the season. At EFF, the best way to tell is to look at the 'expiration' date on the label. It is one year from the date the meat was packaged; if the month/day are within the last week or so, the product should be fresh and never frozen.

Sounds like you've already cooked the poussins. If the vacuum seal wasn't broken and they were still partially frozen, you could probably have put them in the freezer. If they were fresh (unlikely at this time of year) and the seal was good, they might have held in the refrigerator until tomorrow or Friday. Your spatchcocking plan sounds like a very good (tasting) one!

Sorry about the misinfo. EF is probably the only place that I've bought non frozen, but I assumed it was frozen but defrosted a bit by the time I purchased the protein.

One vacuum seal was broken, so I broke each poussin into halves for quick cooking and easy leftovers.

eta: the poussin were definitely frozen and market with an expiration date a year from now.

I have procured some whole wheat "red" pastry flour that has been harvested and milled locally (to where I now reside, Columbia, Missouri). It was harvested in July 2011 and milled in October 2011. First, does anyone know if it will likely be any different from a major brand whole wheat pastry flour? Second, does anyone have a suggestion for what a baking/pastry novice like me can do with it to showcase the ingredient?

I have procured some whole wheat "red" pastry flour that has been harvested and milled locally (to where I now reside, Columbia, Missouri). It was harvested in July 2011 and milled in October 2011. First, does anyone know if it will likely be any different from a major brand whole wheat pastry flour? Second, does anyone have a suggestion for what a baking/pastry novice like me can do with it to showcase the ingredient?

No answer to your first question, but for the second, I'd go with something extremely plain, without a lot of flavors. A fruit tart or galette as opposed to a pie (higher crust-to-filling-ratio), with a thin layer of just simple sweetened fruit for the filling. Or make some puff pastry. If you can make pie dough you can make puff - it's not really difficult, just time-consuming and a bit of a pain in the ass. Find a good tutorial and give it a try. Use the puff to make sacristans and palmiers. Or if you don't want to try puff, make an all-butter pie dough and use that for sacristans. Make some with sugar and some others with Cheddar.