Fishnet, Owner Ferhat Yalcin's Excellent Grilled and Fried Fish on Berwyn Road in College Park

Fishnet in College Park continues to be wonderful.

If anyone happens to be going to the University of Maryland for any reason, skip the chains on route one and go to Berwyn road.

I only wish I could justify it more often on a college student budget.

Ferhat told me he has a wonderful, trusted employee there who is running a tight ship.

As a Ferhat fan, based on my dinner at Fishnook a couple months back, I thought I'd post this from Tom's chat today:

---

Q: Valentine`s Day Special at Fishnet, Shaw

Tom, We are offering a 4 course seafood-focused meal with a complimentary glass of champagne, on the evening of 13th and 14th here at Fishnet, Shaw. Menu cost is $45 per person. Have a good trip in Madrid!! Thanks, Ferhat

A: Tom Sietsema

Thanks for chiming in, sir! Here's a link to the special.

[Link not working]

---

Based on my Fishnook meal, I'm guessing this will be a fantastic meal and night.

• Like 1

As a Ferhat fan, based on my dinner at Fishnook a couple months back, I thought I'd post this from Tom's chat today:

---

Q: Valentine`s Day Special at Fishnet, Shaw

Tom, We are offering a 4 course seafood-focused meal with a complimentary glass of champagne, on the evening of 13th and 14th here at Fishnet, Shaw. Menu cost is $45 per person. Have a good trip in Madrid!! Thanks, Ferhat

A: Tom Sietsema

Thanks for chiming in, sir! Here's a link to the special.

[Link not working]

---

Based on my Fishnook meal, I'm guessing this will be a fantastic meal and night.

Valentine`s Day at Fishnet, Shaw (13th and 14th after 5pm): 
4 courses, $45 per person with a complimentary glass of champagne (tax and gratuity not included) please no substitutes on the menu.
Please call 202 350 4350 to book a table

First Course - Wild Louisiana Shrimp Ceviche
Second CourseLocal Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
Third Course - Black Sea Bass Pan Roasted with Garlic Eggplant Mash
Fourth Course - Homemade Tiramisu
  • Like 1

Dame Edna and I partook of this special menu on Friday, the 13th.

I was a bit dismayed to see the Shrimp Ceviche because I remembered that from the two special DR.com nights at the old Corduroy years ago. The flavors were wonderful, but the texture was "icky."

Not to worry; Ferhat used more traditional ceviche ingredients and marinated the shrimp long enough to "cook." Accompanied by homemade tortilla chips, this was just lovely.

The soup was just another reminder that he learned at the knee of Tom Power. If you like the soups at Corduroy, you will be very happy with the soups at Fishnet. That is all.

The fish was listed as "Branzino" and was perfectly prepared, as was the eggplant.

I actually make better Tiramasu at home, but only because I put booze in mine.

Perfectly fresh ingredients, simply cooked wonderfully and at a price that can't be beat. That is what's on offer at Fishnet (or Fishnook).  Ferhat has created a little jewel of a restaurant and I dearly hope it succeeds.

• Like 3

I have really wanted to try FishNook but the boyfriend has an alleged shellfish allergy which makes the FishNook experience a non-starter. I have been trying to eat more fish so I convinced him to grab dinner at Fishnet last night.

We started with the cauliflower soup for him and the micro green salad for me. The soup was a hit. The flavor of the cauliflower came out perfectly and the soup was thick, velvety, and smooth. Not sure what the thickener was but if it was heavy cream the soup still tasted more of cauliflower than dairy. The salad was also good, nice and peppery. I am also trying to eat more greens which is the reason why I ordered the salad but I liked the soup exponentially more.

For our entrees my boyfriend ordered the grilled octopus with burnt avocado and tomatillo sauce. The octopus was cooked perfectly and was still tender with just the right amount of char on it. The burnt avocado reminded me of the grilled avocado from Daikaya and reminds me that I should grill my avocados whenever I can this summer. The tomatillo sauce was a standout and it worked well with both the avocado and the octopus. I had a platter of grilled mahi mahi, green beans, quinoa, and spicy aioli. The mahi mahi was a little dry but overal very tasty. The green beans and quinoa were cooked well. I especially enjoyed the green beans. The spicy aioli was a great sauce for the fish and the quinoa.

Other than those at Fishnook, only one other table was occupied the whole time we were there. Mondays might be a slow night so I am hoping that the restaurant is more busy other nights of the week. On the plus side, the boyfriend and I very much enjoyed our quiet and delicious dinner.

• Like 1

If you are going to the 9:30 Club you should give serious consideration to hitting FishNet (Shaw location obviously) before hand. It's a 5 minute walk away. Grilled rockfish and fried mahi sandwiches, fries, washed down with beer from a very nice, concise list.

• Like 2

Thought this was a really well done article by Todd Kliman on some of the intricacies and challenges of Ferhat's business, especially in the Shaw neighborhood.

Best of luck to Ferhat in working through everything and in succeeding in tough circumstances.  Hopefully his passion and quality of food will be triumphant.

• Like 2

Thought this was a really well done article by Todd Kliman on some of the intricacies and challenges of Ferhat's business, especially in the Shaw neighborhood.

Best of luck to Ferhat in working through everything and in succeeding in tough circumstances.  Hopefully his passion and quality of food will be triumphant.

Wow. Thanks so much for posting this. I never would've heard of Fishnet had it not been for this site; since randomly stopping in to give it a shot before a show at the 9:30 Club, we've been back three times (once for the awesome one-year anniversary party).

We've honestly loved the food and drinks each time (how they serve some of the beers they do at the prices they do is beyond me - outstanding value to be had), the happy hour is one of the best in Shaw, and we've always had exemplary service (we've only ever sat at the bar, never in the main dining room). This article almost makes me feel guilty for not spreading the word more. Count me among those now dedicated to helping this place succeed.

Thanks again for sharing this article here, jrichstar.

• Like 4

I love Ferhat and Kliman and this is a great reminder I've got to go in and patronize Fishnet next time in town.

But, this really did seem like Kliman was merging two stories that didn't quite fit, despite his best efforts. Ferhat's struggle with a coherent concept at Fishnet seems to have nothing to do with the former SES/cultural identity of the neighborhood, especially when rattling off the other restaurants that seem to be succeeding there.

I love Ferhat and Kliman and this is a great reminder I've got to go in and patronize Fishnet next time in town.

But, this really did seem like Kliman was merging two stories that didn't quite fit, despite his best efforts. Ferhat's struggle with a coherent concept at Fishnet seems to have nothing to do with the former SES/cultural identity of the neighborhood, especially when rattling off the other restaurants that seem to be succeeding there.

Well, since you didn't ask me my opinion, I"ll tell you anyway. :)

Todd Kliman is a gifted writer with a skill set that I could never possess, but his pieces come across to me as having an agenda, a pre-determined conclusion, and a sociological prejudice - when I read his writing, I'm always impressed, usually entertained, but almost never educated or surprised, and honestly, I don't understand why he works under the label of "restaurant criticism" because he's not critiquing restaurants; he's using them as MacGuffins, and could just as easily be writing about clothing, or music, or anything else primal to various cultures. He'd be better off focusing exclusively on long, exploratory pieces, book-length non-fiction, or possibly even novels instead of forcibly assigning stars to restaurants -  he needs to re-read "The Tao of Pooh."

The previous paragraph is not a slap-down; it is an observation.

• Like 3

Perhaps Kliman is ill-suited to "forcibly assigning stars to restaurants." Perhaps this is correlated with his suitability for stories like this.  Obviously, with Ferhat's having weighed in, my observations are relatively less significant, but I don't see any agenda other than an eagerness to tell an interesting and relatively important story and illuminate an interesting nook of arguably the defining phenomenon of life in the District of Columbia these days.  Special kudos for somehow getting the Washingtonian, of all publications, to look at the frictions created by gentrification.  Good thing I read this on the web instead of in line at the Whole Foods, when I was expecting a glowing pre-opening look at the newest City Center celebrity chef venture and a guide to Washington's best boob jobbers -- I might have sprained something. 

• Like 3

Perhaps Kliman is ill-suited to "forcibly assigning stars to restaurants." Perhaps this is correlated with his suitability for stories like this.  Obviously, with Ferhat's having weighed in, my observations are relatively less significant, but I don't see any agenda other than an eagerness to tell an interesting and relatively important story and illuminate an interesting nook of arguably the defining phenomenon of life in the District of Columbia these days.  Special kudos for somehow getting the Washingtonian, of all publications, to look at the frictions created by gentrification.  Good thing I read this on the web instead of in line at the Whole Foods, when I was expecting a glowing pre-opening look at the newest City Center celebrity chef venture and a guide to Washington's best boob jobbers -- I might have sprained something. 

I look at this piece as Part Two of a trilogy, Part One having been written ten years ago, the setting: 7 blocks West and 2 blocks North - it would be interesting to read Part Three in 2025.

"Rainbow Room: The Busboys & Poets Controversy" by Todd Kliman on washingtonian.com, Dec 1, 2005

(Disclosure: I was working with Todd at the time, and we encountered a ticked-off Andy Shallal at Busboys & Poets, where Todd was helping me finish a wine column when I'd developed writer's block - I read the Busboys & Poets piece afterwards, and I didn't see what Andy was so up-in-arms about (he was apparently upset that he *didn't* get a critical review of his restaurant, but I think he's kind of lucky he didn't because B&P is a Third Place; it defies standard restaurant criticism)).

I am grateful to Kliman for writing the article although I was left feeling quite saddened by it. This may in many ways be an old struggle, but the article personalized it for me in a way that I haven't experienced before. I never knew as I sat at the FishNook counter on more than one occasion getting to know and very much like Ferhat that he was struggling so much in his new location and receiving the type of condemnation that he apparently has been. I think I can understand the fierceness with which people defend what they know and how it must be difficult for them to see their neighborhoods being gentrified, but that doesn't justify the treatment Ferhat has received. That aside, it must be so difficult to be putting out a good product - sustainable, high quality, fairly priced imo given the latter - and food that is close to your heart and not have it be well received.

Ferhat, I'd gladly have you transport Fishnet to Laurel. :) Possibly a place where you might in the past have expected similar confusion, if not the outright hostility, but we've got this fancy new town center y'all and Fishnet would I think fit right in. Well almost. ;)

• Like 3

I just can't see Ferhat putting out bad food. I would rather see him go into some other line of work than do that.  I was (ignorantly) surprised from the beginning at the standard of freshness and careful cooking that went into this operation. He clearly learned how to cook from Tom Power--which you can readily tell by Ferhat's soups and his softshell crab.

But, I'm having trouble understanding why the location is such a big deal. Fishnet is just down the street from Derek Brown's trio of restaurants that are in no way dumbed-down fast-food joints. Plus, the place is very easy to get to, either by bus or subway. And, it certainly isn't over priced.

BTW, Ferhat, I liked your crab cake very much!

• Like 2

I read Kliman's story and Ferhat's comments.  I've made it there once for lunch.  Didn't write on it, but it was VERY GOOD.  I had an opportunity to speak with Ferhat on the phone.  He exudes niceness.  Reading through comments here that is a trait that has been remarked upon quite often.

As a business person, this story is a mindf**k.   It doesn't occur often....not wherein there is vehement community rejection of the type Ferhat has described.  Its rare.  The fact that Kliman documented something like this from 10 years earlier speaks to its rarity.  Maybe it occurs more often with food and beverage as the "community" does feel a connection to something of this ilk more than a "store" or a service.   But stories of this ilk are rare.

We've operated a lot of small businesses of one ilk or another but not restaurants.  There are endless reasons for businesses to fail.  Its difficult to keep them running for a long time, and even if one has been able to do so...circumstances change over time, and what was good in one year might turn sour in the next year.

This community resistance thing is certainly foreign to me.    Hopefully Ferhat and his best minds helping him come up with something that works and sustains in Shaw.

In our businesses we ever so firmly believe in always performing certain fundamentals that help with success.  Then there are always challenging specifics that are unique.   This damn thing requires addressing a very specific tough issue.

Oh man.   Good luck.

But this isn't the 2nd part of a trilogy for a writer.....this is a very specific very tough challenge for a nice and talented man.   Good luck.

I think the aims are not reflected in the design of the space. I think the bar was a good addition, but the rest of the space needs to be made welcoming as well. The booths force separation, make it impossible to window shop, and create a lot of second class seating. I have loved every bite that I have had here, but I have disliked every seat in which I have sat.

I think the aims are not reflected in the design of the space. I think the bar was a good addition, but the rest of the space needs to be made welcoming as well. The booths force separation, make it impossible to window shop, and create a lot of second class seating. I have loved every bite that I have had here, but I have disliked every seat in which I have sat.

You can say this about BreadFurst (patio seating excepted), or numerous other places in town that have to retrofit into a space. This is a legitimate, astute observation, but I suspect that it doesn't have much to do with Ferhat's challenges.

I'm somewhat distraught over what's going on with Ferhat, so please ignore this post if it sounds cranky (it isn't supposed to, but it kind of "reads" that way).

• Like 1

Bottom line; I thought the Fishnook prix fix experience one of the best dining values in a city where value seems to be disappearing in the face of celebrity chefs, etc. If you haven't been, you need to check it out for yourself. Right by the metro so very convenient,  

I haven't been to Breadfurst, so take this for what it is worth. But, I just looked at a lot of pictures online, and it doesn't have the problem that I see at Fishnet.

The difficulty is the height of the booths. They create walls and layers that trap you in less than ideal spaces that are either too removed from the action (near the door) or make you feel second class (to the side of the booth) or underfoot (near the front). The front booth isn't itself uncomfortable, but it isn't social, and I feel guilty when taking it for only 3 people.

It also makes it very difficult to peer in. That wouldn't be so much a problem in many locations, but this is an area saturated in barhoppers and barhoppable restaurants, and many decisions about where to go don't get made until right in front of the location.

I don't mention this to be critical, in fact the opposite. I have enjoyed all my meals there (unfortunately, due to child-based logistics, I haven't tried Fish Nook), and I always leaving wanting to come back more frequently. But this issue has come up at our table (and not always with me initiating) every single time. Moreover, as many of you know, I'm often a "just one more" kind of girl, and I tend to hang with a "just one more" crowd, but due to the layout, we tend to leave after eating here.

Maybe I'm more sensitive than others as I spend a lot of time with architects who are obsessed with space, but I really think you are underestimating the effect of the booths.

(None of this is to diminish the issues raised in the article, but I do think that the layout may not be helping).

• Like 2

I haven't been to Breadfurst, so take this for what it is worth. But, I just looked at a lot of pictures online, and it doesn't have the problem that I see at Fishnet.

The difficulty is the height of the booths. They create walls and layers that trap you in less than ideal spaces that are either too removed from the action (near the door) or make you feel second class (to the side of the booth) or underfoot (near the front). The front booth isn't itself uncomfortable, but it isn't social, and I feel guilty when taking it for only 3 people.

It also makes it very difficult to peer in. That wouldn't be so much a problem in many locations, but this is an area saturated in barhoppers and barhoppable restaurants, and many decisions about where to go don't get made until right in front of the location.

I don't mention this to be critical, in fact the opposite. I have enjoyed all my meals there (unfortunately, due to child-based logistics, I haven't tried Fish Nook), and I always leaving wanting to come back more frequently. But this issue has come up at our table (and not always with me initiating) every single time. Moreover, as many of you know, I'm often a "just one more" kind of girl, and I tend to hang with a "just one more" crowd, but due to the layout, we tend to leave after eating here.

Maybe I'm more sensitive than others as I spend a lot of time with architects who are obsessed with space, but I really think you are underestimating the effect of the booths.

(None of this is to diminish the issues raised in the article, but I do think that the layout may not be helping).

You are 100% right with your assessment and you are not being critical at all. I actually appreciate what you said about the lay out.

My challenges here in Shaw is not a single thing but multiple issues. It is not only the Old Shaw opinions. There is a lot more than that.

Everything seemed really good on the blueprints before the opening but in reality they were not. Lay out, wall colors, lights, bare walls are all issues. There is no connection in the restaurant. (I should have used that interior decorator). Top these off with inconsistent service and food, and you get a not so good restaurant which would result with `Im not returning to that place again`.

We are working to change all the issues said above(and many more) and make the place more welcoming and relaxed with a flowing layout which would create energy. I will revamp the menu as well. Hoping to finish by early August.

I will also pause FishNook for sometime.

Please keep the comments/ideas coming, they are truly appreciated.

• Like 7

You are 100% right with your assessment and you are not being critical at all. I actually appreciate what you said about the lay out.

My challenges here in Shaw is not a single thing but multiple issues. It is not only the Old Shaw opinions. There is a lot more than that.

Everything seemed really good on the blueprints before the opening but in reality they were not. Lay out, wall colors, lights, bare walls are all issues. There is no connection in the restaurant. (I should have used that interior decorator). Top these off with inconsistent service and food, and you get a not so good restaurant which would result with `Im not returning to that place again`.

We are working to change all the issues said above(and many more) and make the place more welcoming and relaxed with a flowing layout which would create energy. I will revamp the menu as well. Hoping to finish by early August.

I will also pause FishNook for sometime.

Please keep the comments/ideas coming, they are truly appreciated.

Great comments above.

I used to lease retail space; in many cases representing the tenants.  Its astonishing the volume of little details that make a big difference.  Its very difficult to assess the reality of a layout from plans.  Its difficult to envision how a space works for the business and customers.  From the restaurant side the one "error" that sticks with me was a restaurant in a smallish and narrow space that had relatively small tables and somewhat large but attractive dishware.  It ended up that it was uncomfortable to dine for two and for a table for four it was completely uncomfortable for 3, let alone impossible for four.    Such small details such big problems.

Its often great if not necessary to have at least two heads and at least two sets of eyes view every single layout issue as often a second person will foresee problems that the first person never considered.  And by two sets of heads, I mean two sets of eyes outside of the designer or the purchaser of equipment or items.

Danged details.

Gee, I read Ferhat's post, and can't help thinking that these problems can, must, and will be overcome. Would anyone like to have an event there (I haven't checked with Ferhat, but I'm thinking - not some blowout that masses of people won't get, but things from the regular menu, and maybe our members can fill out evaluation forms for each dish and the meal as a whole) - I cannot believe someone as talented as Ferhat, even if there are architectural problems, can't overcome this, and I'm personally willing to throw myself behind Fishnet to make it happen. The thing is though: he needs honest criticism on everyday dishes, and maybe we all need to do the exact same meal twice, a couple weeks apart.

• Like 5

Gee, I read Ferhat's post, and can't help thinking that these problems can, must, and will be overcome. Would anyone like to have an event there (I haven't checked with Ferhat, but I'm thinking - not some blowout that masses of people won't get, but things from the regular menu, and maybe our members can fill out evaluation forms for each dish and the meal as a whole) - I cannot believe someone as talented as Ferhat, even if there are architectural problems, can't overcome this, and I'm personally willing to throw myself behind Fishnet to make it happen. The thing is though: he needs honest criticism on everyday dishes, and maybe we all need to do the exact same meal twice, a couple weeks apart.

There is absolutely ZERO problems with the food Ferhat is putting out. The decor? There might be the difficulty. I just remember going to the pre-Valentine's dinner and insisting that we be seated as far from the front door as possible. If you remember, it was COLD in February.

Time has come;

Going Fishin' til the Fall;

Fishnet SHAW/DC will be closing its doors on Sunday August 2, 2015.(with the last service being on Saturday evening) We'll be back in the Fall with a new accessible, approachable vacation-inspired brand that we're excited to unveil to our loyal following and new guests alike. Join us to toast Fishnet and our future on Friday and Saturday.

Our entire menu including beer/wine will be half off, both on Friday and Saturday.(this also means when we run out, we are out of food or beer).

Regards,

Ferhat

• Like 1

Time has come;

Going Fishin' til the Fall;

Fishnet will be closing its doors on Sunday August 2, 2015.(with the last service being on Saturday evening)  We'll be back in the Fall with a new accessible, approachable vacation-inspired brand that we're excited to unveil to our loyal following and new guests alike. Join us to toast Fishnet and our future on Friday and Saturday.

Our entire menu including beer/wine will be half off, both on Friday and Saturday.(this also means when we run out, we are out of food or beer).

Regards,

Ferhat

Ferhat, what about College Park?

Hopefully a week from now, you'll be on a beach in Turkey.

FINALLY made it down to Fishnet before Saturday's basketball game (I certainly don't want to talk about that) and had a wonderful grilled mahi mahi sandwich. The aioli that I got added some extra depth to both the fish and fries, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was. Two thumbs up, will be back.

• Like 1

I wish for many things: I wish I could get to College Park more than once-in-a-blue-moon, I wish everyone would realize how great Ferhat's cuisine is, I wish people knew how much of a risk he took opening in Shaw, I wish people knew just how wonderful of a human being Ferhat is, I wish people - myself included - would just say, "to heck with it," and make a beeline towards College Park to get three-days-worth of cuisine at Fishnet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My husband is having lunch at Fishnet today and reports that Fishnet has a pop-up in Baltimore starting Monday the 11th and lasting through the rest of the month. It's at a dedicated pop-up space @ 301 W 29th Street. 443-347-3570. They're apparently looking for a place in Baltimore to lease for a long-term presence.

• Thanks 1