National Onion Ring Day

DrXmus

I loves me a good onion ring and what better day to have some than on National Onion Ring Day? Does anyone know of a housemade onion ring in the area? Extra credit if the joint is in NoVA. The only place I can think of with fresh rings is Mad Fox in Falls Church. I'm not saying they're the best ever, but they're not frozen and poured from a bag into the fryer basket. (I have high standards, being from the South where I often had rings from The Beacon in Spartanburg, SC and The Varsity in the Atlanta area and most fast food locally owned places made their own rings.)

I loves me a good onion ring and what better day to have some is National Onion Ring Day? Does anyone know of a housemade onion ring in the area? Extra credit if the joint is in NoVA. The only place I can think of with fresh rings is Mad Fox in Falls Church. I'm not saying they're the best ever, but they're not frozen and poured from a bag into the fryer basket. (I have high standards, being from the South where I often had rings from The Beacon in Spartanburg, SC and The Varsity in the Atlanta area and most fast food locally owned places made their own rings.)

Eatbar's are housemade - light on the breading but still pretty greasy. The housemade penne pasta dish has also been consistently good recently.

I might have to turn in my DR card for saying this, but Johnny Rocket's makes some mean onion rings. When hot, they're not greasy and the onion doesn't pull out on the first bite.

(I'm keeping the decoder ring and will never share the secret handshake)

I like the onion rings at Hard Times. For full enjoyment, they must be eaten at the restaurant, as they don't survive carry out. Especially good with a splash of their chili vinegar!

Since we're all turning in our DR cards in favor of chains, I have to agree with this one. But, I'm no onion ring officianado.

Vidalia's "French Fried Onion Rings" ($3.00 @ the bar during happy hour) are pretty great...

Tasty, but I found them really greasy. The Senart's ones are buttermilk-soaked and were really wonderfully non-greasy when last I had them. But it was only once; may have to do a repeat for confirmation. B)

Is Ray's Hell Burger still serving onion rings? I was very impressed with their rendition. Good batter/onion ratio and they both stayed connected during the eating process.

I like Hell Burger's onion rings too. Had them about a month ago and they would be on the top of my list.

Returned to Senart's. Incredibly flavorful and crispy rings with NO grease! I'm not sure which dimension defines "thick" or "thin" -- they're not onion straws, which I guess are the extreme of thinness, but basically follow the thickness of natural rings of onion. I can say I would eat these every chance I get, whereas the Vidalia ones -- which I had a couple weeks ago and were, as I said, darn tasty -- were total grease-bombs and I can't imagine eating them more than once ever six weeks or so.

Returned to Senart's. Incredibly flavorful and crispy rings with NO grease! I'm not sure which dimension defines "thick" or "thin" -- they're not onion straws, which I guess are the extreme of thinness, but basically follow the thickness of natural rings of onion. I can say I would eat these every chance I get, whereas the Vidalia ones -- which I had a couple weeks ago and were, as I said, darn tasty -- were total grease-bombs and I can't imagine eating them more than once ever six weeks or so.

I just got these again, and they were about three times the size of the ones I had shortly after they opened. These also seemed to have a different kind of breading than they did before. It didn't fall off the way it did before and seemed very similar to many other restaurant onion rings. They're not greasy, though.