The Light Horse, King and Washington Street in Old Town - Chef Adam Stein, GM Dave Pressley Is Departing

Congratulations to Dave Pressley, aka shaggy, who will be stepping in as an equity GM at The Light Horse beginning next week.

Dave will be coming from Ardeo+Bardeo (and, before that, Eventide). In his own words, "I have really enjoyed working for Ashok and gleaned a lot of knowledge from him. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to work with a great friend of mine, work closer to home and have a more flexible schedule, allowing me more time at home with my wife and daughter. There are a lot of challenges I'll be facing with the Light Horse, but I look forward to taking them on and making it a dining destination in Old Town."

I'm pretty psyched up...lots of changes need to happen. Menu and decor are the two main things that will change. I also need to evaluate the service and staff to see how big that overhaul needs to be as well. I did consulting with the Light Horse before it opened two and a half years ago, so it's a project that's already moderately familiar to me. The bar upstairs is doing good business and has a lot of regulars, but the dining room downstairs needs some love.

The first week of August is the goal for the re-launch of the dining room. I'll be sure to post on here as we go through our changes!

I'm pretty psyched up...lots of changes need to happen. Menu and decor are the two main things that will change. I also need to evaluate the service and staff to see how big that overhaul needs to be as well. I did consulting with the Light Horse before it opened two and a half years ago, so it's a project that's already moderately familiar to me. The bar upstairs is doing good business and has a lot of regulars, but the dining room downstairs needs some love.

The first week of August is the goal for the re-launch of the dining room. I'll be sure to post on here as we go through our changes!

Okay, put us down for the re-launch first day. As long as it's not Aug 5-8th, we'll be there.

Shaggy,

We are really looking forward to your magic touch. This would make it a trifecta for you.

Exciting things going on over here at the Light Horse. We're closing the dining room tomorrow (Monday, July 25) to do staff training on our new menu and new service standards. The new menu starts on Tuesday, July 26. I hope to see a few of you here soon!

Appetizers

Almond-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Vin Cotto $7

Grilled Peaches, Fresh Links Heirloom Tomatoes, Camembert Cream,

Butter Lettuce, Champagne Vinaigrette $9

Chilled Watermelon & Strawberry Soup, Tomato Sorbet, Pickled Watermelon Rind $6

Steak Tartare, Purple Potato Chips, Sunny Side Quail Egg $10

Fresh Catch Ceviche, Goat Cheese, Fried Green Tomatoes $10

Butter Poached Shrimp, Fresh Links Heirloom Tomatoes, Arugula,

Lemon Basil, Horseradish Vinaigrette $11

Dragon Creek Jumbo Lump Crab, Summer Melon, Serrano Peppers, Citrus $15

Crispy Spinach, Raisins, Path Valley Honey, Almonds, Oranges $8

Butter Lettuce Salad, Vidalia Onion Dressing, Beet Chips, Point Reyes Bleu Cheese $9

PEI Mussels, White Wine, Garlic, Basil, Parsley, Tomato Broth, Grilled Baguette $7/$14

Entrées

Grilled Chicken Breast, Rainbow Swiss Chard, Grapefruit, Chipotle Butter Sauce $18

Shiitake Mushroom Ravioli, Path Valley Mushrooms,

Vidalia Onion Puree, Lemon Basil $17

Fresh Catch, Heirloom Beet Risotto, Charred Baby Carrots $17

Grilled Pork Loin, Braised Vidalia Onions & Spinach, Jalapeños, Hominy $19

Snake River Farms Beef Ribeye, Celery Root Slaw,

Applewood Smoked Bacon, Crispy Brussels Sprouts $23

Dragon Creek Lump Crabcakes, Coriander Custard, Arugula $21

Whole Wheat Spaghetti, Crispy Brussels Sprouts,

Charred Baby Carrots, Chives, Almonds, Parmesan $16

Seared Duck Breast, Swiss Chard, Mint Crème Fraiche, Mustard Duck Jus $24

Braised Beef, Purple Potato Puree, Roasted Mushrooms $19

Pan Seared Heirloom Tomato “Steaks”,

Roasted Corn, Summer Squash, Roasted Garlic Puree $17

Noticed they are no longer open for lunch on weekdays, Saturday and Sunday only. Hoping this is just for the summer. Work in the area and this was in our rotation of places for sit down lunches.

Also, love this place for happy hour - has this changed also?

Noticed they are no longer open for lunch on weekdays, Saturday and Sunday only. Hoping this is just for the summer. Work in the area and this was in our rotation of places for sit down lunches.

Also, love this place for happy hour - has this changed also?

We still open at 4:00 for happy hour in the bar. We shut down lunches for the time being because of slow sales and honestly, we needed the extra time to develop the dinner business. Once we get that going strong, we'll definitely be considering opening for lunch again. It might take a few months though.

There are a lot of restaurants that are closed for the day in Old Town. We are not one of them! Brave the storm and come down!

Mention DR.com and I'll buy you a Swamp Ape IPA and give you a Swamp Ape glass to take home.

P.S. If you play "Rock You Like A Hurricane" on the jukebox upstairs, I might kill you. Our lunch customers probably played it like 20 times already.

I'M KLAUSE MEINE OF THE SCORPIONS!!!

My son played the Guitar Hero version of this a dozen times yesterday. Didn't bother me a bit. :-)

Thankfully, it transformed into an '80s hairband revival on the juke all afternoon. We had a great time at the Horse today! Damn the storm!

-Dave

P.S. Come visit tomorrow and take advantage of the last day of restaurant week in Alexandria. Our menu has been going over really well and I'm sure some of you are ready to get out of the house! $35 for Two...two apps, two entrees and a shared dessert.

Thankfully, it transformed into an '80s hairband revival on the juke all afternoon. We had a great time at the Horse today! Damn the storm!

-Dave

P.S. Come visit tomorrow and take advantage of the last day of restaurant week in Alexandria. Our menu has been going over really well and I'm sure some of you are ready to get out of the house! $35 for Two...two apps, two entrees and a shared dessert.

I can vouch for the food. A great experience every time I've gone. A young, adventurous chef who really likes fresh veggies almost makes me a vegetarian.

Tried out the restaurant for the first time last Friday night. Started with drink upstairs at the bar--friendly service and a good wine selection. My husband and I did the Restaurant Week special, which was 2 appetizers, 2 main courses and a shared dessert for $35. Really an amazing deal for the quality of food. I could have eaten 5 bowls of the fried spinach and the bacon wrapped dates were as good as advertised. Mains were a nicely roasted chicken and grilled salmon with beet risotto. Nothing earth-shattering, but well-prepared and flavorful. Well-priced wine list with a good variety. Spent some time chatting with Dave--he couldn't have been nicer. The biggest negative for me is the awkward layout of the main floor dining area. Those semi-circle booths probably work well for a party of 4, but are awkward for a party of 2. We kind of ended up sitting next to each other looking into the center of the room. Most of the other 2 and 4-tops are set up so you end up sitting pretty close to the other tables. I was pleasantly surprised by our dinner and look forward to trying out the rest of the menu.

Beer Dinners are baaack!!

After taking a short break on our beer dinners over the last two months, we are proud to announce the new two of them.

Tuesday, September 20: Long Trail Brewing Company

Tuesday, October 11: New Belgium Brewing

Each of these dinners are priced at $50 per person and consist of 5 courses specifically paired with beers from each brewery. They have always sold out and we have quite the regular following for them. There are only 35 seats available and the seating for each dinner is promptly at 7:00 PM. Please email me directly if you'd like to reserve any seats. My email is davepressley@verizon.net.

Had a great first time experience tonight. Granted, the restaurant was not packed but the service as spot-on and gracious.

I had the steak tartare and my companion the lump crab for aps. Refreshing. Both were light, albeit a little lemony. But that's a fine touch in summer.

I had the wild mushroom ravioli for my main and my companion the rib eye.

I am sorry. I am not much into waxing poetic (trained as a news writer). But this was a great dinner all the way around. The dishes were well cooked, beautiful to look at and graciously served.

Not into revealing secrets either, but I will say that I will be on the sidelines cheering loudly for house-made charcuterie. :mellow:

Bravo Shaggy. The best I can say is that I will recommend greatly and will return personally.

SO proud and happy to announce the newest member of our waitstaff...Amy Gay (formerly Amy Smoyer.) Amy has a full-time day job now and will only be on the floor a couple times a week for me, but I know her level of service is unmatched and her professionalism and product knowledge is at a high level.

Amy bartended at Eventide for me and befriended a bunch of you all while we were both there, so I hope you'll come out and support her new part-time job.

For the record, I generally support, love and re-hire anyone who has ever worked for me before and left in good graces. Amy is one of those people that just rises to the top of the pile pretty quickly. I'm proud to be around her again...she makes me smile. :mellow:

-Dave

P.S. We are the Launch Spot for the New Belgium beers on draft next Thursday, the 22nd. Fat Tire, Ranger, Hoptober and 1554 on tap starting at 6:00. Kegs are gonna die quickly so come to the bar or have dinner in the dining room and enjoy these great beers with us!

OK Light Horse, three or four years ago you served me one of the worst meals I've had in the DC area if not my life. I swore I'd never go back. Now my pal dr.com tells me you've changed. I trust this friend - he's given me great info in the past - so I am giving you one more shot. You better not burn me again. You just better not.

OK Light Horse, three or four years ago you served me one of the worst meals I've had in the DC area if not my life. I swore I'd never go back. Now my pal dr.com tells me you've changed. I trust this friend - he's given me great info in the past - so I am giving you one more shot. You better not burn me again. You just better not.

If the four dinners we've had there are any indication, you'll not only be un-burned, you'll be happy and pleasantly full with some fine food.

The Light Horse opened three years ago so if it was any earlier than that, you dined at Bistro Europa. We're pretty proud of the food we are putting out right now and our staff is great too!

Have no fears. You will not be burned.

The Light Horse opened three years ago so if it was any earlier than that, you dined at Bistro Europa. We're pretty proud of the food we are putting out right now and our staff is great too!

No, my last meal there was definitely at the Light Horse. I am sure of that having dined at Bistro Europa prior to it's closing (no great loss there.)

Overall, a very, very much improved experience. A few misses. More hits. At least one item (if not more) out of the park good.

The biggest negative being (still, and as several others have noted) the use of the downstairs dining space. The bench/wall sconce seating for both the booths and tables seem quite uncomfortably high. At the tables in particular my wife (4 inches shorter than me) seemed to be towering over the table while I (in the humble chair) was left to gaze up towards her. A situation I am sure she quite approved of, but just has an aspect of "what on earth were they thinking when they put this place together." (I realize the new chef is inheriting this - but the whole downstairs layout just seems so odd it still bears mentioning.)

On to the food! First, our quibbles.

The Crispy Spinach Salad, while on some levels a delightful combination of flavors (how did they get the almond flavor to transfer to the honey?) was overcome by an overabundance of oil, which seemed to frequently quench whatever "crunch" there might have been. The Corn Bisque, while quite good, was rather lukewarm - perhaps because the coddled egg it was served over was actually cold. Premade then stored in the fridge perhaps?

A Chocolate Mousse Tart, which was contained a serviceable but not exemplary mousse cradled in a light, flaky crust didn't seem to come together really. Probably because it was served without the intriguing sounding Salty Almond Brittle which was promised on the menu? After asking about it, we were told the entire last batch was ruined for some reason and a sampling of the brittle was whisked out as soon as it was ready. While this was appreciated (as was the comped dessert) we were left wondering who in the kitchen made the decision to serve the incomplete dish and just hope the omission wasn't noticed. Unfortunate, as the brittle was quite good and possibly could have made an otherwise flat dessert come alive.

OK, whine time over - on to the good stuff:

My wife was over the moon about the Lamb (which I can't seem to find on the online menu) and it was well prepared with a lovely melange of potatoes (but perhaps could have used a good bit less "lemon" in the lemon basil spinach), but the star of the night was the Angus Filet with Celery Root Slaw, Applewood Smoked Bacon , and Crispy Brussels Sprouts. I eat a lot of steak. It takes a lot to surprise me in the steak arena. This knocked my socks off. Served more in the style of some sort of Sauerbraten (minus the "sauer" aspect) sliced and arrayed with a tomato based sauce on it. The combination of the sauce with the (delightful) crispy sprouts made it seem as if everything good about autumn jumped into the chefs pan and onto my plate. Highly recommended.

Overall about 827 times better than my initial visit and well worth further looks as the kitchen continues to develop. Cheers.

New Belgium Beer Dinner next Tuesday, October 11 at 7:00 PM.

Dishes are listed with their beer pairings below. Check out the beer descriptions at newbelgium.com.

Butter Lettuce Salad with Apples, Preserved Lemons, Camembert and Duck Prosciutto

New Belgium Hoptober

Beer and Cheddar Soup with Pomegranate

Fat Tire

Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries

New Belgium Kick

Coffee Marinated Beef Filet with Purple Potato Puree and Swiss Chard

Clutch Caramel Glazed Cheesecake

Clutch

$60 per person plus tax and gratuity. There's still plenty of room--PM me if you'd like a seat!

Another dinner coming up:

December 15 from 6:00-8:00

A tasting of Eades Double Malt Whiskies led by Dan Fitzhenry from Virginia Distillery. We're going to keep this casual and send out lots of passed hors d'oeuvres that you can either try to pair them with certain whiskies or just eat 'em, drink up and have a good time. This will be held in a cocktail reception-style environment, so it'll be a really good time to hang out and leave whenever you please. Just pay your bill first. ;)

$35 per person. PM me if you'd like me to save you a spot!

-Dave

P.S. For the holidays, we have decided to open on our regular schedule on Christmas Eve, so if you're looking to have a bite and/or a drink in Old Town that night, stop by and support us! We are closing on Christmas Day as well as the 26th so our staff can enjoy the holiday with their families and we can strip and refinish the floors upstairs.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that our new chef, Adam Stein, has been on board for a few weeks now and his menu changes are almost fully complete. He's cooking some great stuff these days and will be cooking here full-time until we get Cause DC rolling. He will then oversee both kitchens. Swing by and try some of his stuff! Menus are (mostly) updated online...we have a few entree changes that should be up by Friday at the latest. thelighthorserestaurant.com

(For those that have visited me here before...the new chairs are finally in and the dining room looks 10 times better.)

Dates for beer dinners for the next three months are finalized and reservations are coming in!

For those unfamiliar, we do these beer dinners every month on a Tuesday night. They are always 5 courses with 5 pairings from a specific brewery and are typically $50 per person (all three of these are $50, but if we get a brewery with a lot of expensive, funky beers, we have to raise the price a bit.) The dinners always start at 7:00 and usually end by 9:00.

May 15- Anchor Steam

June 5- Unibroue

July 17- Port City

Menus are typically finalized the week before the dinners, but most of the people who attend just come in blind.

These dinners have been popular with our regulars but I haven't seen a DR member at one before (that I know of.) I'd love to see some of you show up to see what our kitchen can do at these dinners. PM me for a reservation if you'd like!

We dined there last weekend. The otherwise quality food was oversalted. Specifically, the crisp brussels sprouts and the seared duck breast (which also should have been medium rare, not medium well). The kitchen needs to give some umph to the farro, a bland grain sorely in need of seasoning, and the pickled cucumber side did not match well with the duck.Two of my companions really enjoyed the daily catch (fluke). The beef tenderloins were huge and beautifully cooked.

The otherwise quality food was oversalted. Specifically, the crisp brussels sprouts and the seared duck breast (which also should have been medium rare, not medium well). The kitchen needs to give some umph to the farro, a bland grain sorely in need of seasoning, and the pickled cucumber side did not match well with the duck.Two of my companions really enjoyed the daily catch (fluke). The beef tenderloins were huge and beautifully cooked.

Did you tell your server this so that the chef could be notified? Oversalting is a common problem in all restaurants. (and compliments are welcomed as well :)).

We dined there last weekend. The otherwise quality food was oversalted. Specifically, the crisp brussels sprouts and the seared duck breast (which also should have been medium rare, not medium well). The kitchen needs to give some umph to the farro, a bland grain sorely in need of seasoning, and the pickled cucumber side did not match well with the duck.Two of my companions really enjoyed the daily catch (fluke). The beef tenderloins were huge and beautifully cooked.

Sorry about overcooking the duck. There is really no excuse why it should have left our kitchen if it wasn't cooked to the correct temperature. My sincerest apologies for that. (If you were the table I think you were, didn't we buy you a glass of port as an apology when we were told you thought the duck entree and brussels sprouts that you had already completely finished were too salty?)

As far as the salting/seasoning of the dish, that's always a dicey road. Salt is such a subjective taste. One man's "too much" is another man's "just right." That being said, we're always mindful of our guests and would certainly have made you a new dish for you and adjusted the seasonings if you had mentioned it when your server checked in on you. That's why we always check in on our tables. We want to do anything we can to make our guests happy!

I'm certainly glad the other dishes were enjoyed by your guests and we certainly hope you come back! You seemed like a great group of people and we'd certainly like to see you again. Ask for me the next time you come by so I can introduce myself. I appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative. It makes us work harder to get better at our jobs.

This is a classic case of a post being 90% positive and restaurateurs (hyper-self-critical by nature) being driven to sleeplessness by the 10% :lol: (although I definitely would have mentioned the Port - that's a nice gesture).

I just finished telling a ranting RJ, "Take it as a good thing, man!"

CONGRATS TO DAVE AND EVERYBODY AT THE LIGHTHORSE FOR THIS POST. MAYBE IT WAS DAVE'S WIFE OR DAUGHTER BUT STILL HAPPY TO READ IT

DAVE PRESLEY

I am biased, I admit. The former GM at Eventide leaves (along with the bar manager, Steve) and things go south quickly. (I know, I've been back a few times since they left and things just aren't the same. In fact, the place is truly beautiful but the food and service lack.) Dave moves to the Light Horse and I haven't seen any news about it. He has really done wonders with the menu and the service there. He's a great guy and I truly believe that Eventide desserves what it got with your demotion since they lost Steve and Dave and that the Light Horse needs to get some of your attention. (I'd shamelessly plug for Steve too but I have no idea where he is working. Wherever you are Steve, please let us know!! Your cocktails and YOU are unmatched here. godihopehereadsthis...) GO Light Horse!

A.

TOM SIETSEMA :

Dave Pressley was among the original cast members that made Eventide, at its launch, a great place to dine. Since his and the original chef's departure, the place has not been as delicious. It remains a lovely space to spend a few hours, however.

I went to Light Horse shortly after Pressley arrived and felt as though he hadn't had time to make necessary changes. There's a new chef in the kitchen, a detail that prompts my interest anew.

– May 23, 2012 11:07 AM

The only problem with that post is that it doesn't go far enough. Light Horse has been completely turned around. What used to be a King Street watering-hole with a restaurant attached is now a restaurant ... oh, and an upstairs lounge/bar. The decor, the wine list, the food are all new and better. (and I don't have any interest in Light Horse except as a client, but, as you may be able to tell, I really like the changes).

July 17th Port City Beer Dinner. $50 per person (not inclusive of tax and gratuity)

Downright Pilsner

Smoked Corn Pudding with local lump crabmeat, path valley tomato and green onion

Essential Pale Ale

Roasted Virginia Peaches with watermelon, feta, cress and mint

Monumental IPA

“Hangover” Soup of chicken, cilantro, jalapeno, onion, radish and lime

Revival Oyster Stout

Carpetbagger Steak – oyster stuffed ribeye, salt crust potatoes and oyster sauce

Port City Porter

Red Velvet Whoopie Pie with root beer cream filling and dark chocolate

PM me here or email me for a reservation. lighthorseprivatedining@gmail.com

Maybe there should be a DR Happy Hour down there sometime this summer?

Yes and yes. And after my visit last night, I'll step up in a heart beat to organize it.

Being a crowded Friday in Old Town, our original plan was for Hank’s, but a 20-minute wait was not desirable for our out of town guests. So we meandered down King Street, eying several options, eventually stepping up to the menu posted outside The Light Horse for my companions to scope the scene. I had visited three times in the past several months, all upstairs in the bar, and mostly for appetizers and the ethereal goat cheese free form cheesecake. All had been flavorful, although not fully admirable, especially in an environment of sports-casting TVs and other distracting factors.

What a difference a floor makes.

The Service: We had arrived during happy hour, and winced at the volume of the laughter from a crowded bar booming down the stairwell to where we stood in the quiet lobby. The hostess interpreted our concern, saw us browsing the menu, and offered a first-floor dining room seat, with the "bar only happy hour" menu as one of the choices. This was a wise method to bring business into the venue, and a promising sign of customer-pleasing service.

The Booths: Parties of four, rejoice! Darling semi-circle booths await you on the first floor, instantly elevating the quality of your conversation and intimacy. You won't be bothered by the noise of other tables, and you won't be eavesdropped on by the quiet couple dining next to you (forthcoming Pet Peeve Rant®, available soon on a message board near you).

The Service, Continued: If I have had a more menu-knowledgeable, friendly, and professional server in the past five years at this price point, my memory fails me. Granted, the restaurant was nearly empty until midway through our meal, so were not in competition for attention. But her genuine enthusiasm for favorite selections, mindful but not overbearing table visits, and graceful manner of handling special requests and inquiries, I thought to myself “if she can keep up that demeanor when the place is packed, and if all the staff are this good, this restaurant is destined for greatness.”

The Plated Flavors: We ordered apps and desserts, which arrived via perfect pacing and attractive plating. We enjoyed the fried oysters punched up from the bite of quick-pickled cabbage. Pan-seared chicken livers, unctuous and healthy from free-range forays, delighted us when presented at medium temperature, not egregiously overcooked like so many venues. The jus and crispy fried onion accompaniment would convert even the squeamish to offal appreciation. Fried dates, stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon, were a mini-dessert of their own. Fried crab and mascarpone cheese fritters surprised me with light texture and deep crab flavor, as if the sea somehow made it’s way into Lombardy. The evening’s special dessert, French Toast, featured Campari-macerated blackberries and an egg-rich, maple-true toast, again lighter than what I would have expected from the description. My dining companions reveled in the free form cheesecake, noting that a touch of salt could have taken the caramel to an even higher flavor note.

The Beverages: Everyone but me enjoyed rounds of various brews, from Oskar Blues to Port City to Rogue. I nearly dove headfirst into my gin-and-sparkling summer in a glass, referred to as Laid Back on the seasonal cocktail menu. Served in a short tumbler, the hint-of-blue shimmering liquid evoked fields of flowers in a heat-quenching rain. This was an enthusiastic and spot-on recommendation from the server, far more interesting than the wine I had originally been eying.

All in all, around $25 a person plus tax and tip.

Dave, you done good.

July 17th Port City Beer Dinner. $50 per person (not inclusive of tax and gratuity)

Downright Pilsner

Smoked Corn Pudding with local lump crabmeat, path valley tomato and green onion

Essential Pale Ale

Roasted Virginia Peaches with watermelon, feta, cress and mint

Monumental IPA

“Hangover” Soup of chicken, cilantro, jalapeno, onion, radish and lime

Revival Oyster Stout

Carpetbagger Steak – oyster stuffed ribeye, salt crust potatoes and oyster sauce

Port City Porter

Red Velvet Whoopie Pie with root beer cream filling and dark chocolate

PM me here or email me for a reservation. lighthorseprivatedining@gmail.com

Pat, the +1, and I had a very enjoyable evening at the Port City Dinner. All of the dishes were really good, as were the beers. I think the smoked corn pudding with crab was my very favorite. Every bite tasted like a bit of summer, with all of my local favorites featured (crab, corn, tomatoes). There was a generous amount of crab, and the smokiness, along with the crunchiness of a bit of flaked salt, brought it all together. The hangover soup was probably my second favorite - lots of good flavor and heat, which went well with the Monumental IPA. The staff did a great job in bringing out beers and food to each table in an efficient manner.

Bill Butcher, of Port City, provided interesting information about each of the paired beers and the process his brewmaster goes through in developing them. If you haven't been to the brewery, it is worth a visit. They've recently added an additional tasting bar which will ease the crowding on the weekends.

I was remiss in not writing up a visit during the spring, but I enjoyed the menu then, which included some good seasonal items/flavors. I'm looking forward to returning again before too long to see what's cooking on the summer menu. I would definitely be up for a happy hour!

Pat, the +1, and I had a very enjoyable evening at the Port City Dinner. All of the dishes were really good, as were the beers. I think the smoked corn pudding with crab was my very favorite. Every bite tasted like a bit of summer, with all of my local favorites featured (crab, corn, tomatoes). There was a generous amount of crab, and the smokiness, along with the crunchiness of a bit of flaked salt, brought it all together. The hangover soup was probably my second favorite - lots of good flavor and heat, which went well with the Monumental IPA. The staff did a great job in bringing out beers and food to each table in an efficient manner.

Bill Butcher, of Port City, provided interesting information about each of the paired beers and the process his brewmaster goes through in developing them. If you haven't been to the brewery, it is worth a visit. They've recently added an additional tasting bar which will ease the crowding on the weekends.

I was remiss in not writing up a visit during the spring, but I enjoyed the menu then, which included some good seasonal items/flavors. I'm looking forward to returning again before too long to see what's cooking on the summer menu. I would definitely be up for a happy hour!

Glad you had a good time! Working on the Elk Cove wine dinner next month. Tuesday, August 14. 7:00. $60 per person.

If anyone has any suggestions for future wine or beer dinners, I'm all ears. Thoughts rumbling around right now in my head are: Gluten Free Dinner featuring hard ciders and GF beers, Oskar Blues, DC Brau, Devil's Backbone and maybe a revisit with Starr Hill. We're hoping to plan out the next 6 monthly dinners within the next week or so.

The smoked corn and crab was also my favorite, though I enjoyed everything. My only complaint would be that the potato nuggets with the steak were a little too salty for me. I liked the concept of the steak stuffed with oysters, though I think I would have liked the items better separately. The peach-watermelon salad was quite refreshing; unfortunately, my plate disappeared before I could finish the cress. (Other than this, the service was completely on target.) The soup was bright and spicy, befitting its name, but I'm not too keen on hot soups on hot days, so I don't think I appreciated it as much as I could have. By dessert, I couldn't eat much more, so I tore the whoopie pie apart rather shamelessly to eat the filling. The porter was a perfect pairing for that.

The beers were all paired well with the food. I tend to like pilsners more than stouts and porters, but my favorite was probably the oyster stout. Hearing about the brewing of all the beers was quite interesting. I left wanting to tour the brewery and go back to the restaurant, so win-win :) .

Glad you had a good time! Working on the Elk Cove wine dinner next month. Tuesday, August 14. 7:00. $60 per person.

If anyone has any suggestions for future wine or beer dinners, I'm all ears. Thoughts rumbling around right now in my head are: Gluten Free Dinner featuring hard ciders and GF beers, Oskar Blues, DC Brau, Devil's Backbone and maybe a revisit with Starr Hill. We're hoping to plan out the next 6 monthly dinners within the next week or so.

If you're thinking semi-local brewers, maybe Blue Mountain Brewery with their new Barrel House line?

This month's dinner is a wine dinner with Elk Cove. Tuesday, August 14. 7:00. $60 per person, not including tax and gratuity.

First course: Rose of Pinot Noir with Cheddar Cremoux, Toasted Brioche and Summer Fruit

Next: Pinot Gris with Dragon Creek oyster pan roast, salsify, sunchokes and caviar

And then: Pinot Noir with Vietnamese-style cold pork salad with peanuts, cilantro, chilies, lime and tomato water

Main: BBQ beef rib with savory melon salad paired with Mount Richmond Pinot Noir

Finish with: Sweet corn panna cotta and berry compote

Hit me with a PM if you'd like a reservation. I have only 15 seats left!

-Dave

P.S. September's dinner is back to beer with Devil's Backbone. September 18. Details to follow...

Next Sunday at 3:00, we'll be having our 3rd Annual Zero K "race" at the Light Horse. Our head bartender, Hector, lost his sister to cancer three years ago. She was a young (39), loving woman with eight children. We host this event every August to raise money to buy the kids books, shoes and school supplies for the upcoming school year. We ask for any donations, but $40 gets you a t-shirt, a bib number and a beer.

We have music playing, beers flowing and continous raffles throughout the afternoon. (If anyone wants to donate anything for the raffles, please hit me up!) It's a great time and the funds raised go to a close family in need.

The Zero K part? Ok...so most folks dress in running gear (not mandatory, but encouraged) and we crowd out front on King St. around 3:45. At 4:00, the starter's pistol goes off and we run (well, mostly just walk) up the stairs back to the bar. That's it. Zero kilometers.

I hope to see some of you here!

Hello folks of DR.com, some exciting things at the forefront of the Light Horse schedule right now... There are still some seats left for the Beer Dinner with Devil's Backbone on Tuesday, September 18. 7:00 PM. 4 courses paired with some great beers for $55 per person. Menu and pairings below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vienna Lager

Housemade pretzel, sauce trio

(beer mustard, hot pepper jam, American cheese fondue)

Eight Point IPA

Charred octopus, shaved fennel, beet puree, stonefruit,

roasted hazelnuts

Reilly’s Red Ale

Pork belly, sweet soy glaze, watermelon, scallions

Azrael Belgian Strong Ale

Apple beignets with beer molasses

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email us at lighthorseprivatedining@gmail.com or just send Dave a PM through here if you want some seats reserved.

Cheers,

Lor

Just trying to put this out to the public in as many forums as possible...our phones are down here at the Light Horse. Most likely for a few days at best. The company that hosts our digital phone system is in Massachusetts and is closed until at least Monday. Grrrrrrr. (Thank God most of our business comes from walk-ins and online reservations.)