Cafe Mozart, Downtown

The last time I ate in a Mozart Cafe was in Salzburg about 25 years ago, so I had certain expectations when a business colleague suggested it. Overall, it met my expectations.

You have to walk through the bakery and deli to get to the back room, which is a small but pleasantly appointed dining room. The menu is thoroughly Austrian and German, even down to offering sides of both Austrian potato salad and German potato salad. I'll have to try the extensive selection of wursts and schnitzel on a subsequent visit, because I zeroed in on the liverwurst and onion sandwich. Having grown up in Lancaster County, I've had my share of liverwurst and onion sandwiches, and this one did not disappoint.

The liverwurst was generous, and the toppings were onions, lettuce and tomato. The bread was rye, but not very interesting, but the sides included the Austrian potato salad (without bacon), and a nice little pile of sliced pickles. For $11, this was a pretty good lunch. Senf, or mustard, was served as a table condiment.

I noticed quite a few authentic pours on tap, but again, a subsequent visit will dig deeper into the possibilities.

http://www.cafemozartonline.com/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp

Senf, or mustard, was served as a table condiment.

Hahahaha, Having just married into the "Senff" family, I continue to get a kick out of our mustardy last name.

I used to work in the building right over Cafe Mozart so my co-workers and I used to partake in HH there from time to time. Great place to get a liter, and sometimes hear a little accordion music. Not sure if they still put out free party mix on the tables in the bar, but that stuff was addicting!

I grabbed sandwiches from there for lunch every now and then and always appreciated the little wurst and schnitzel samples they would have out on the counter. On the lunch menu in the back room they had a great grilled chicken salad too.

I always thought this place was a dismal little hole, a depressing room with wretched food, and a deli counter with products that looked mostly spoiled. Has it gotten better? Or am I too particular? (I have to admit it's been way more than a decade since I set foot in the place.)

I always thought this place was a dismal little hole, a depressing room with wretched food, and a deli counter with products that looked mostly spoiled. Has it gotten better? Or am I too particular? (I have to admit it's been way more than a decade since I set foot in the place.)

I certainly wouldn't characterize it as you did. The food is far from wretched, although my sampling of the menu is not complete. The dining room is pleasant, not dismal, and the front end -- the deli and bakery -- appeared to have quality products as I passed by. You should at least stop by and see if your impression changes.

You should at least stop by and see if your impression changes.

No doubt I should, although it's rather out of my usual orbit. Thinking about it just now, I realized that I last visited Café Mozart some time in the 1980s, so more than two decades ago. Whether it's improved or not, I probably shouldn't trust my memory of it.