CrescentFresh

DC Council Passes Smoking Ban

Kentucky is a tobacco state, and smoking is already banned in much of the state.
I went to law school in a city so nice two cigarette brands are named for it (winston/salem). We used to joke that smoking wasn't permitted in North Carolina, no it was encouraged! When I was in law school ten years ago people could still smoke anywhere except inside the hospital in W-S. Seriously, the first time I went to the department store and saw someone smoking IN the store I nearly keeled over. Then I went to the Harris Teeter and let me tell you people were smoking there too. I ended up frequenting Fresh Market because they didn't allow smoking in the store.

Now, W-S is pretty much a non-smoking city. Interestingly, though there are still no "no smoking" signs at Wake Forest Univ. even though smoking is prohibited in any of the buildings. Guess the Reynolds rule still prevails.

As to loud music here is my take, musicians and employees of live music venue really need to take care of their ears. Pete Townsend is the poster child for ear health in the industry. However, unlike the constant exposure to smoke in a club, a patron can actually do something to limit any damage from the music by using ear plugs.

Kentucky is a tobacco state, and smoking is already banned in much of the state.

As someone pointed out to me recently, Kentucky is a marijuana state, with an annual production value exceeding 5x that of tobacco. On a per-capita basis, they're second only to runaway leader Hawaii. Banning smoking in public isn't exactly a major economic hardship for them.

Just out of curiosity... are there other smokers on the board? How much of a minority are we? Smokers only -- come out, come out wherever you are! Post here (or PM me if you don't want to publicly identify).

I won't out them, but just last night I was corrupted by several members of this board.

The bizarre thing is that nobody smokes in their own house any more, so we're at home and we're still huddled against the elements.

Actually, last night was a good night for smoking on the porch.

Just out of curiosity... are there other smokers on the board? How much of a minority are we? Smokers only -- come out, come out wherever you are! Please PM me.
I was riding in a DC cab two weeks ago, and NPR was interviewing a restaurant employee about the hardships of working in a 'dangerous environment' that allowed smoking. The cabbie started laughing heartily-"I wonder if any of his customers have ever put a gun to his head! That's the risk I take!" Having driven a cab and worked a smoke-filled room, I had to agree with him. I will heartily miss smoking a big fat nasty cigar at Bistrot du Coin and at Bedrock (where they don't serve food). For cigar smokers it's not an option to go outside for five minutes.

When they ban foie gras or whatever else it is that they decide is bad for us, don't come crying to the smokers.

Just out of curiosity... are there other smokers on the board? How much of a minority are we? Smokers only -- come out, come out wherever you are! Please PM me.

Current status: Smoker.

I've only been at it yet again for a couple of months and I plan to quit yet again within a week or two. If I allow my selfish side its way, I'd be happy to smoke my head off at a bar, coffee shop, etc, but, rationally speaking, I'm all for the ban. As far as I'm concerned, legalizing those big exports from Hawaii and Kentucky and outlawing tobacco would be a giant step forward for this country.

From the haze,

Al

, but it's not beyond reason that some individual municipalities or counties may think about going that route.
they can think all they want. But until the state legislature gives the local jurisdictions the authority to do so, it't ain't going to happen.

The Tenth Amendment to the U.S. constitution specifies that the powers not specifically given to Congress or prohibited altogether reside in the states or in the people. Virginia's constitution contains no provision analogous to the Tenth Amendment in prescribing power relationships between the commonwealth and its localities. Instead, Virginia applies Dillon's Rule in a strict way. Actions of a county or city must be in accordance with the exact language of enabling state legislation. Pure home rule assumes that a local government may exercise all authority not specifically prohibited it by Virginia's constitution or statutory law. The Virginia General Assembly has been opposed to extending home rule to its localities.

All of the bars that I've been to since the ban have been every bit as crowded as before.

The funny thing I've noticed is that a lot of these places now possess a funky smell since the ban has gone into effect, as if the smoke was somehow masking it before. I suppose it's sort of like how you don't notice that your clothes reek of cigarette smoke until you get home. Nanny O'Brien's must be downright unbearable by this point :lol:

All of the bars that I've been to since the ban have been every bit as crowded as before.

The funny thing I've noticed is that a lot of these places now possess a funky smell since the ban has gone into effect, as if the smoke was somehow masking it before. I suppose it's sort of like how you don't notice that your clothes reek of cigarette smoke until you get home. Nanny O'Brien's must be downright unbearable by this point :lol:

Maybe the places were not actaully protesting the lost revenue from the smoking ban, but the cost of having to actaully clean the place properly each night. :unsure:

I won't out them, but just last night I was corrupted by several members of this board.

The bizarre thing is that nobody smokes in their own house any more, so we're at home and we're still huddled against the elements.

Actually, last night was a good night for smoking on the porch.

Unless you're the one that has to pick up the butts off the lawn the next day. :lol:

I was in Charlotte last weekend, where smoking is definitely still allowed in restaurants, and have to say that it annoyed me somewhat. Montgomery County has been smoke-free long enough that I take it for granted in restaurants. Bars are another story...tomorrow night I will be enjoying the 9:30 Club without the attendant haze of tobacco. I can't imagine the ambient smell will be any better. Ick.

The last two shows we went to at the 9:30, pre-ban, were non-smoking at artist request, and I didn't notice any particularly funky smell.

I agree completely! As someone who both works at and attends a lot of concerts its making my nights out much more comfortable.

i love going home and not needing to shower at the end of the night. just crawling up into bed and crashing out.

The last two shows we went to at the 9:30, pre-ban, were non-smoking at artist request, and I didn't notice any particularly funky smell.
This does not surprise me, as I have found the 9:30 club to be an amazingly clean venue. It's dark, but it is not dirty.

This does not surprise me, as I have found the 9:30 club to be an amazingly clean venue. It's dark, but it is not dirty.

Agreed. I was there tonight, and the only smell was angst.

Not at the table but at the bar. I've enjoyed quite a few good meals at the bar.

Here is what I found:

Bistro Bistro

Clare and Don's Beach Shack

The Front Page Restaurant & Grille

Hard Times Cafe

Matsutake Sushi & Steakhouse

Mister Days Sports Rock Cafe

Pines of Italy

Rock-It Grill

Seagars

SoBe Seafood Co.

Stars & Stripes

Two-Nineteen Restaurant

Zig's

You can definitely add the Stardust Restaurant in Alexandria to your list (Montgomery at Washington, behind the Wendy's). They have a short but good draft beer list, and the burgers look pretty decent too. And...all the booths in the front room where the bar is, have huge, heavy glass ashtrays on them.

Someone should talk to the DC Restaurant Association about this! Stat! Something must be done about this before everyone starts going to Virginia where funk is outlawed! I call upon all the fine dues-paying members of the DC Restaurant Association to demand that the Association get to the bottom of this. After all, what are your dues paying for! Where are the op-eds? Where are the studies showing how the presence of funk will spell doom and gloom!

(In all honesty, I'm rather surprised there was no backlash from the dues-paying members of the DC Restaurant Association against the organization for spending tons of their money on a useless campaign against the ban. If I was a member of that association, I'd be furious. It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. It may not be next year, but the ban will eventually be enacted nationwide. Even in Virginia, where they'll stand to lose millions in Federal funds if they don't comply with Federal health statutes that might be passed in 2012. That's exactly how the 21 year old drinking age came about.)

I don't care who smokes and who doesn't. It's there body. However, as it relates to me I care not to be around smoke. I wreaks havoc on my throat, my sense of smell goes to hell and my cloths stink, not to mention the pounding headache I get from breathing someone's exhaled poison. I am in favor of the ban. The arguement that people will run to virginia is ridiculous. :lol: I doubt anyone is willing to travel any great distance just to smoke in a restaurant. :unsure:

I am annoyed by pedestrians with cigarettes in hand if not without sympathy for many who can't quit or lack incentives to stop. I reserve judgment for parents pushing strollers as they smoke and teen-agers who ought to be locked up when caught in the act and forced to listen to WAMU's Sunday morning programming for one week, straight.

One consequence of the ban I've noticed:

Now, when walking past bars & restaurants after 7 PM, I have to endure the powerful smell of cigarette smoke emanating from the crowds huddled at the entrance.

Non-smokers are also vulnerable when approaching large public buildings where employees, students, or other visitors are taking a smoking break.

I wish that these places would find a nice, open-air space other than the entrance for smokers to congregate. The city shold place restrictions on smoking at the entrances to buildings, too.

Anna,

I totally agree with you! I absolutley hate walking into a building through a cloud of smoke. I recently happened to be in a restaurant kitchen where the owner was smoking in the kitchen! I can tell you I would never be able to be in that enviornment.

Someone should talk to the DC Restaurant Association about this! Stat! Something must be done about this before everyone starts going to Virginia where funk is outlawed! I call upon all the fine dues-paying members of the DC Restaurant Association to demand that the Association get to the bottom of this. After all, what are your dues paying for! Where are the op-eds? Where are the studies showing how the presence of funk will spell doom and gloom!

(In all honesty, I'm rather surprised there was no backlash from the dues-paying members of the DC Restaurant Association against the organization for spending tons of their money on a useless campaign against the ban. If I was a member of that association, I'd be furious. It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. It may not be next year, but the ban will eventually be enacted nationwide. Even in Virginia, where they'll stand to lose millions in Federal funds if they don't comply with Federal health statutes that might be passed in 2012. That's exactly how the 21 year old drinking age came about.)

I respectfully disagree with you. The DC ban was forestalled for at least several years. The credit for that goes to the lobbying organizations and their members.

As far as a chef smoking a cigarette in the kitchen? I've seen FAR worse, so please spare me the outrage.

I respectfully disagree with you. The DC ban was forestalled for at least several years. The credit for that goes to the lobbying organizations and their members.

As far as a chef smoking a cigarette in the kitchen? I've seen FAR worse, so please spare me the outrage.

We've all seen worse Danny Boy but the point of this thread is about SMOKING IN RESTAURANTS!

You can definitely add the Stardust Restaurant in Alexandria to your list (Montgomery at Washington, behind the Wendy's). They have a short but good draft beer list, and the burgers look pretty decent too. And...all the booths in the front room where the bar is, have huge, heavy glass ashtrays on them.

Old Town has a few options in this department:

Vermilion

Southside 815

King Street Blues