TruOrleans, James "Tru" Redding's Cajun and Creole-Influenced Restaurant and Art Gallery on 4th and H Street NE - Closed

I looked at the menu and do hope this place can deliver. But the New Orleans in me just cringes at $16 for a plate of red beans with sausage. ThIs is work day, working people food. It should be cheap.

This is the same thought I had when I saw their intent to charge $5 for a can of PBR.

It really is a beautiful space, and that western end of H Street could use a nice "anchor," so to speak.  I am not sad to see TruOrleans go (we never ate there, but we walk by frequently in the evenings and it always seemed way too rowdy and loud - like a brawl was always on the verge of breaking out), but I hate to see a building like that go vacant for too long.

I looked at the menu and do hope this place can deliver. But the New Orleans in me just cringes at $16 for a plate of red beans with sausage. ThIs is work day, working people food. It should be cheap.

On our recent visit to the Delaware shore, we finally tried Po' Boys Creole in the little town of Milton. My kids split a huge portion of red beans, rice and sausage, and we still had a good amount to take home. It was $15. Totally worth it.

Having been to NOLA many times, I totally get where you're coming from. But on the East Coast, NOLA food is just another alien cuisine. (BTW Po' Boys was really good. Fried crawfish tails, buttermilk pie, Abita....).

It really is a beautiful space, and that western end of H Street could use a nice "anchor," so to speak.

Big Board is a nice neighborhood bar and burger joint. Boundary Stone is a notable dinner spot. I think Western H is actually doing pretty well. Sounds like getting rid of the TruOrleans management team is a plus.

Big Board is a nice neighborhood bar and burger joint. Boundary Stone is a notable dinner spot. I think Western H is actually doing pretty well. Sounds like getting rid of the TruOrleans management team is a plus.

We love the Big Board, and Boundary Road (which is what I think you mean, not Boundary Stone) is good for a more upscale meal.  Selfishly, since I am closer to that end of H than the other, I am always hoping that something awesome takes over there.

Good riddance. The new owner/operator of this space stopped in about a week ago with his interior decorator (who is a semi-regular at Le Grenier) to have some cocktails. Seemed like a nice enough guy, young-ish...I didn't ask about his background or restaurant experience. From what he said, it's going to be a Mediterranean tapas theme downstairs with a more upscale lounge focused on drinks upstairs. Either way, I'm excited to see someone actually use that perfect location and beautiful space. Could be perfect timing on his part with the streetcar nearing completion...

Did the landlord successfully evict Redding yet? I didn't think he could sign new leases until that was finished. Also, that space has been generating interest from lots of brand name restauranteurs from what I hear from the grapevine, I'm bit concerned it will be an empire outpost instead of a owner operated spot.

Then again, TruOrleans exceeded even my train wreck predictions, so anything would be an improvement, but that's not much of a standard.

• Like 2

WaPo updated that story, the $150k lien on Stadium Club was paid off in full. According to the Wash Biz Journal, single $1 bills made up $40k of that payoff amount!

Never thought I feel sorry for exotic dancers, but wow talk about bailing out your deadbeat boss so that you can continue to make your money.

You can't leave us hanging - what were they asking, both total and per square foot?

17k-20k is what i had heard.  True it is fully equipped, but you need to do 250k a month to make 20k in rent justified.  I have no idea of what the actual numbers on the joint were.

For what it's worth, I just received solid confirmation that the group I spoke of above was, in fact, full of B.S. They may have talked to the current owners, but what would be the point of that when those folks are still outstanding on so many debts? DonRocks, feel free to weigh in - I have no doubt you've heard more on this...

Since it seems like it's all the same players involved, I don't have high expectations for this iteration.

Second, even though it does kill me to walk by here and see a huge, gorgeous patio that's completely going to waste. Being at 3rd and G NE, I would love an H St. outdoor drinking option that's closer than Little Miss Whiskey's...