Inexpensive but Tasty Sparkling Wine?

aero

Here's the deal:

A friend of mine who lives in Philly turns 30 this week. I, sadly, am unable to make the festivities, so I was hoping to send a case of Champagne over in my stead. My budget will only allow @ 20 bucks per bottle.

Part 2 of the question is how to get it there. Are there liquor stores that deliver in Philly?

My budget will only allow @ 20 bucks per bottle. 

I think you're squarely in Cava territory here. Gerry Dawes has an article coming out this week in Wine News on Cavas, and recommends several in-and-around your price range. I'm alerting Gerry to this thread in hopes that he's in the country and will have a chance to chime in.

Cheers,

Rocks

I think about half would be consumed at the party, the rest later. My friend works in high end restaurants and is moderately educated about wines and the like (much more than me) so I want to get her something a little interesting that she can enjoy despite the low price tag.

Part 2 of the question is how to get it there. Are there liquor stores that deliver in Philly?

You are SOL, all liquor and wine sales are contolled by the state, and if you are not a restaurant they don't deliver. If you wanted to get it for him Nicholas Flurette NV is in the price range. I find it more enjoyable than Cliquot yellow label, and at half the price.

Does anyone have any thoughts on inexpensive sparkling wines? I will be using it for mimosas and a ginger version of a French 75 for a brunch for 300 people. Thoughts?

I really like Cristalino, a Spanish cava. It's light and inexpensive ($7-$9/bottle). I've made belllinis with it for a couple of brunches, and it's been a big hit. I also like Italian Zardetto Prosecco, which is fruitier and fuller, and a bit pricier ($12-$14/bottle).

I really like Cristalino, a Spanish cava. It's light and inexpensive ($7-$9/bottle). I've made belllinis with it for a couple of brunches, and it's been a big hit. I also like Italian Zardetto Prosecco, which is fruitier and fuller, and a bit pricier ($12-$14/bottle).

I second the Cristalino recommendation.

Cava is probably the best way to go (Prosecco in some cases may not have sufficient effervescence for your purposes). Another idea would be a Loire bubbly like Mommessin.

It has been my experience that "Spumante" proseccos are far easier to come by in these parts than "frizzantes."

Not that I'm an expert at this sort of thing, but Riondo Prosecco Veneto gets very high ratings from the type of organizations that rate prosecco professionally (90 pts from the Wine Advocate), it costs 13 bucks a bottle and makes my amateur palate quite happy. Cool label, too. Available at Calvert-Woodley and -- I think -- at a Whole Foods near you.

Check that -- I think it's Harris Teeter and not Whole Foods.

Not that I'm an expert at this sort of thing, but Riondo Prosecco Veneto gets very high ratings from the type of organizations that rate prosecco professionally (90 pts from the Wine Advocate), it costs 13 bucks a bottle and makes my amateur palate quite happy. Cool label, too. Available at Calvert-Woodley and -- I think -- at a Whole Foods near you.

It's $11.99 at the AM HT. I picked up a bottle today on Waitman's recommendation (and because the HT has AIR CONDITIONING) and because we used up our bottles of Cristalino on Easter. Truly, the Cava is a terrific value. The snobs may sneer, but they weren't sitting outside on a hot day looking for something to drink with the appetizers.

I second the Gruet advice. I see it everywhere around here. I just attended a 40th birthday party in Southern California. I recommended Greut to a co-host who knows more about wine than I do. He bought a case and it went over very well. People thought it was great. I think it was $12.99 per bottle out there at BevMo which is like Total Beverage.

This is my go to cheap sparkler. I think it's $11 at Corridor in Laurel.

To the OP, if your friend is very wine knowledgeable, what about sending 6 bottles of something more expensive rather than a case of something cheaper? Not sure how you get around the shipping thing though.

To the OP, if your friend is very wine knowledgeable, what about sending 6 bottles of something more expensive rather than a case of something cheaper? Not sure how you get around the shipping thing though.

I hope that after 4 and a half years he has figured out what to get for the party. :lol:

Riondo Prosecco Veneto gets very high ratings from the type of organizations that rate prosecco professionally (90 pts from the Wine Advocate), it costs 13 bucks a bottle and makes my amateur palate quite happy.

It's $11.99 at the AM HT.

I second the Gruet advice. I see it everywhere around here. I just attended a 40th birthday party in Southern California. I recommended Greut to a co-host who knows more about wine than I do. He bought a case and it went over very well. People thought it was great. I think it was $12.99 per bottle out there at BevMo which is like Total Beverage.

I just got back from a trip to/through New Jersey and stopped at Wine Library, about 4 miles off the Turnpike in Springfield. The Gruet was a startling $10.98 and the Riondo a ridonkulous $8.98. The store has a wide selection, fantastic prices, and lots of tasty cheese samples for free nibbling in their gourmet shop. This probably isn't the best place to put this, but it didn't seem to fit into the "Intrepid Traveler" or "My Favorite Wine Shop" threads. Either way, next time your driving by, it's probably worth the 20 minute detour off the highway.

I just got back from a trip to/through New Jersey and stopped at Wine Library, about 4 miles off the Turnpike in Springfield. The Gruet was a startling $10.98 and the Riondo a ridonkulous $8.98. The store has a wide selection, fantastic prices, and lots of tasty cheese samples for free nibbling in their gourmet shop. This probably isn't the best place to put this, but it didn't seem to fit into the "Intrepid Traveler" or "My Favorite Wine Shop" threads. Either way, next time your driving by, it's probably worth the 20 minute detour off the highway.

[Psssst ... there's a thread on the Wine Library if you want to cross-post there. :lol: ]