Kibbee Nayee

Le Bledo (Formerly Le Bledo Dalat), Springfield - Vietnamese Bakery and Cafe Reopen on Brandon Avenue

On 9/29/2015 at 2:51 PM, elvenb said:

Le Bledo has been in the process of moving to 6416 Brandon Ave. across Old Keene Mill Rd. from the old place.  It was supposed to take about three months but obviously is taking longer.  There is a sign on the storefront saying Le Bledo coming soon, or some such, but as of late last week there still did not seem to be much if any activity there.

The sign is still there, in the space previously occupied by Springfield Restaurant. There is some sign of work going on inside, although I didn't see any actual activity today. However, paint buckets and construction equipment were on the floor as I peered through the window.

The sign has changed the name to "Le Blado Bakery"....

Le Bledo.JPG

39 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

The sign has changed the name to "Le Blado Bakery"....

[There are three things that can change: name, location, and ownership - the rule I've always used is that if two of the three change, a new thread is started, so Le Blado Bakery in its new space will get a new thread. I made a "possibility matrix" (3 binary options make 8 possible combinations) and posted it ... somewhere, but I know not where.]

Does anyone know what Le Blaeo Dalat means, or even what language it is? I know France used to occupy Vietnam, but the only French word I see in the name is "Le."

• Like 1

Time for an update to the title of this thread. "Le Bledo" (minus "Dalat") is now open on Brandon Ave in Springfield, under the same ownership as the previous shop on Backlick Road. It began its soft opening on April 1. The inside space is much nicer than the old place, with seating for 35-40, and an open kitchen of sorts. I hope the owners get enough business to stay open for quite a while. They were squeezed out of their previous space because the parking lot got jammed by the drive-thru traffic for Chick-fil-A. It took over a year for them to reopen -- I heard they were sharing space with a relative in Falls Church or Annandale to stay afloat -- and I'm glad I stopped in for lunch today.

This place is also open to the wee hours, but during the soft opening they will close around midnight. I have a few friends who spend time drinking the night away at some nearby places, so late night replenishment is a good idea.

Today was a day where the temperature reached the mid-90s, so I decided to avoid one of the best renditions of pho in Springfield. However, being the only non-Vietnamese patron among 10 or so customers just before noon, I was also the only one not having pho. To me, it's a cold weather dish, but I suppose I have a lot to learn about enjoying Vietnamese food.

My lunch was the combination banh mi, with a side of shrimp spring rolls. Both were good -- maybe the rival of DC Sandwich in Falls Church. I know that everything is made on the premises, so this is Springfield's version of first-class Vietnamese food. But I have to get back soon, maybe on a rainy day, and try the pho.

Le Bledo -- 6416 Brandon Ave, Springfield, VA 22150 -- (703) 866-8911

LeBledoMenu.JPG

LeBledo.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Time for an update to the title of this thread. "Le Bledo" (minus "Dalat") is now open on Brandon Ave in Springfield, under the same ownership as the previous shop on Backlick Road.

[Thank you, good sir. Since the location and (sort of) the name changed, this would usually get a separate thread, and if the owners write me and ask for one, I will honor their request. (If two-out-of-three things change - name, location, owners - I generally start a new thread, but seeing as though the name is almost the same, and the concept is similar, I'll keep everything here, unless the owners get in touch with me. I wrote an extensive algorithm for determining when to split / not-split threads, but can't remember where it is.]

• Like 1

Thanks so much for posting about this, I really liked this place and will hopefully get to try the new place soon.

Lady Kibbee and I have been on a phở bò binge on these sub-freezing days of late, and in keeping with our desire to limit carb intake, we order the large bowl combo no. 1, with meatballs too, but we don't bother with the noodles.

Le Bledo was elbowed out of the plaza now dominated by Chik-Fil-A and its choking traffic, so it ended up in its current location on Bland St., kitty-corner from LA Mart. We frequently stop here for carry-out from their openly displayed items from Hue. These are quick, tasty treats on the run.

The phở bò here is reputed to be good, and has been in the past, but today it was wan and watery. There was an atypical lack of flavor and richness. The sides we ordered were chả giò and pork balls. The chả giò was crisp on the outside but mushy on the inside, as if not properly fried at the right temperature. The pork balls were excellent, especially when dipped in the fish sauce that had shredded carrot and diakon in it.

I'll chalk all of this up to Le Bledo having a bad day, with almost everything being a bit off. For Springfield comparison, yesterday's phở bò at Pho Hong Anh was very good, and last week's version at Saigon City was also very good. 

I had two lunches at Le Bledo this week. Both were very good.

Lunch #1 was the combination cold cuts banh mi, and I splurged with $2 extra for double meat. It was a winner of a sandwich, with plenty of umami for my liking.

Lunch #2 was the vermicelli bowl with grilled pork, with an extra $2 for 2 small chả giò. Tasty and quite good.

Le Bledo is getting to be quite reliable, as far as Springfield Vietnamese food is concerned.

• Like 2