Independent Coffee Houses

I'll be honest, as an avid coffee drinker, I've had better coffee experiences at Starbucks than I do most independents.  (The exceptions: Cafe Amouri in Vienna, Peregrine, and Bakehouse at 14th and T, which serves a Zeke's blend, and Filter).  Starbucks delivers good quality coffee and consistency.  It's never going to blow you away, but I rarely leave disappointed. 

Speaking of Zeke's, has there been any mention here or elsewhere about Zeke's opening their roastery and lab in DC? It officially opened today:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2013/10/28/zekes-coffee-to-open-d-c-roastery-and-lab-on-nov-2/

I've been drinking Zeke's on an almost weekly basis since I started going to the Greenbelt Farmers Market many years ago. I'm looking forward to checking out the new place.

Speaking of Zeke's, has there been any mention here or elsewhere about Zeke's opening their roastery and lab in DC? It officially opened today:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2013/10/28/zekes-coffee-to-open-d-c-roastery-and-lab-on-nov-2/

I've been drinking Zeke's on an almost weekly basis since I started going to the Greenbelt Farmers Market many years ago. I'm looking forward to checking out the new place.

Threads here and here but no firsthand reports from dr members yet.

The first thread is under Baltimore since that's their original shop but some posts there about the future (now) DC stores.  The second thread is the nascent topic for the DC store.

I wrote about this twice in August of 2012, when I made the first version of my map public.  That one was titled Really Good Coffee, and was a very restricted list.  At Don's request I turned it into a more comprehensive piece, and I totally agree with you: the quality of product is not necessarily related to the business' status as independent.  So recently I went back and added asterisks to the places that I would include on a Really Good Coffee map.  Other than that I have no interest in rating or ranking places, though I do put in an occasional editorial comment that I hope people find useful.

So: the map is intended to be a comprehensive reference of independently owned shops.  It's up to the user to do the research.

updated again

porcupine, you're absolutely correct, you did note that independent is not neccessarily the same as good. I do apologize for my oversight.

Riffing on the "what is good coffee" notion, it occurs to me how subjective taste really is. For those of who don't already know this, "qualia" is a philosophical concept that, to sum it up as succinctly as possible, refers to the indescribable experience of the senses.

I can appreciate a good dark roasted coffee, but generally prefer something lighter due to the fact that you taste more of the coffee and less of the roast. Coffee beans have more than 400 flavor compounds, and in my opinion, a good roast highlights that complexity instead of masking it.

Again as a matter of taste, I don't really enjoy much of the light-roasted coffee from specialty wholesale roasters who, in my professional opinion, roast their coffee too fast. While this enhances the acidity or brightness of the coffee, in my experience, it doesn't allow for full flavor development while again imparting a flavor from the roasting process. The cynic in me believes that some roasters have actively cultivated a taste for this flavor profile because it gives the beans more shelf life than coffee roasted to bring out a fuller profile. But ultimately, I just don't enjoy that taste, and it a wholly subjective assessment based on my own palate. I know many other people do like it.

I think good coffee is in the taste buds of the drinker, to paraphrase an old saying. But I will happy cede consistency to the chains. When coffee is good, it is really fucking good. If the coffee you are drinking doesn't, even occasionally, blow you away, you need to drink different coffee.

• Like 3

Coffee Nature (on Fessenden Street just west of Wisconsin Ave.) made a really fantastic cappuccino recently.  Not in the very top tier, but very good and much much better than anything else nearby.  Strange little shop, looks like a lunch counter with Korean dishes.  I went in expecting to be disappointed but instead was thrilled.  Don't judge a book by its cover.

I did not care for the cup I got at Harrar a few weeks ago.  Over-roasted beans and over-extracted espresso.  I bought a bag of their lightest-roast beans and ended up tossing them out a day later.  Tastes vary, though: this place might be fantastic for those who like dark roasts.

• Like 1

I did not care for the cup I got at Harrar a few weeks ago.  Over-roasted beans and over-extracted espresso.  I bought a bag of their lightest-roast beans and ended up tossing them out a day later.  Tastes vary, though: this place might be fantastic for those who like dark roasts.

I find this very funny. I dislike Starbucks, because I think the beans taste burnt. I love Harrar.

Although that's not what I came here to post about. I came here to post about Culture Coffee, on Kennedy Street. Finally got up that way to try it out on Friday morning. Remember, I drink lattes and enjoy dark roasts, so I had a latte. It was quite good, although next time I think I will get an extra shot of coffee in the cup. And the space was very cool and the people were very friendly.  It's worth a stop.

More on the "independents do not necessarily equal good" front: I was in Annandale recently researching places to cater a breakfast meeting and stopped into Beanetics.  To my surprise and delight they could provide 160oz boxes of coffee.  Also to my delight they made me a pour-over from house-roasted Kona beans.  To my dismay, the cup was dismal.  Over-roasted (why does this keep happening to me?), even though they said it was one of their lightest roasts, and sour.

Today I finally made it to Malmaison in Georgetown, where they use Cuvee, a small roaster from the Austin, TX area.  Had a pour-over there, too.  Serious attention to detail from the barista and the result was a very good (though not transcendent) cup, that suffered only from the roast being rather on the light side.

I swear I'm going to have to learn how to roast beans myself.  It must be very difficult to do well.

• Like 1

Tell us more about both? 

Yesterday I stopped by here for coffee--just a regular coffee, not a coffee drink--and it was okay.  I'm not a coffee aficionado, but I wouldn't rank it as the best coffee around.  In that semi-immediate neighborhood (1/2 mile away), the takeout coffee from P&C Market is better, has a depth to it that this didn't.  It was perfectly fine for what I wanted, though.  I just wanted a place to sit, sip coffee, and read for a while.  At 10:45 AM, they had three customers:  a woman working on a laptop (free wi-fi), a construction worker from a nearby work site waiting for a sandwich, and me.  When I left about half an hour later, another construction worker was coming in for lunch.

I didn't know about the bubble tea until I looked the coffee shop up on yelp afterwards, and the consensus there back late in the last decade was that the bubble tea was worth going there for.  There have been very few recent comments about the place in the past several years, so I don't know if that's indicative of a decline in quality or maybe demographic patterns.  I didn't even notice it had been mentioned here.

What fascinated me is that the establishment appeared to be a coffee house grafted onto an old diner.  It made for an odd contrast visually.  I'd be interested in what anybody might know about the history of the place.  It's in a location that's just on the periphery of where I'm usually walking, so I'd noticed it on occasion over the years but never been inside. They've got a number of small tables (maybe a dozen) and a small seating nook with a library for browsing.  The yelp commenters indicate that there's a good patio in nicer weather.

They're open for breakfast and lunch daily, with slightly variable hours.  They close at 2 on Mondays but at 4 or 5 all other days.  The food menu that was posted was mostly diner breakfast staples and sandwiches.  The bathroom is very clean :) .

When I'm back to return the library books I got on this trip, I'll try to stop back in and maybe try out the bubble tea (though I'm even less of a bubble tea expert than a coffee one).

Pat, what establishment are you talking about in the above post?

Oops.  I should have noted that.  I always forget that quoting only gets you the immediate thing quoted and not the material that post quoted.

Jacob's Coffee House at 8th and D, NE.  (On Yelp, it's listed as Jacob's Coffee and Cafe.)

Recently had a very nice cappuccino from Pleasant Pops on Florida Ave, and was delighted to find that they sell Ceremony beans as well. Strolling about I also walked past Jolt n Bolt for the nth time, but didn't go in (again) as I already had coffee in hand.  Can anyone report about it?

Does anyone know when Wydown might be re-opening?

I continue to believe that Caffé Aficionado serves the best cup in the area, and find myself looking for excuses to drive through Rosslyn so I can drop in.

edit:  or I could look it up for myself.  Apparently Wydown is open (as a pop up again) in Patty Boom Boom at 1359 U St. NW, across the street from their previous location.

link to updated map

Just in case anyone was under the impression that running a cafe is easy or straightforward, an interesting behind-the-scenes look at Big Chair in Anacostia:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/2014/02/16/eedd1496-9022-11e3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html

Also note that Nurish, the new cafe from Kera Carpenter (Domku) recently opened in the Anacostia Arts Center.

https://www.facebook.com/NURISHDC

How do indy coffee houses get added to the map? Mug N' Muffin out in Stone Ridge (the next big community past South Riding) is a nice little place. They even make affogato and I am finally going to try it! 

Post your find in this thread and I'll do it.

An important note about the map: since The Google went and fixed what wasn't broken, the map's utility has greatly decreased.  If you can view the map in the old google maps, do so; I'm unable to edit it in the new google maps and it's making me crazy, because in the new google maps I can't get the entire list to show and the editorial comments are gone.

The newly revised (old style) google map is here.  I've added Mug N' Muffin, Tryst, and Mudhouse Bellair (near Charlottesville) to it.

As a learning exercise I might try doing a NYC version in the new sucky google maps.  Anyone with tips please pm me.  thanks.

• Like 2

Kaldi's Coffee 918 Silver Spring Ave SS,MD. Nutty Buddy and I both spend a fair amount of time working from here. Good coffee and baked goods. Great friendly atmosphere. Fair warning - the chairs suck.

Java Nation

10516 Connecticut Ave

Kensington MD 20895

Very welcome addition to Kensington. Bright, practical space that's set up well for folks who want to pop in to get some work done (WiFi) or just enjoy coffee and a quick bite. Not really comfy for lingering, but no big deal. K-town has become a hot spot for Vigilante beans, they're used here as well as Saturday Farmer's Market stand and Suburban Trading Co. Had a really well made double cappuccino when I stopped in last week. They do pour overs and have a substantial breakfast and lunch menu. Big fan already - helps to fill in the Montgomery County independent coffee desert.

^thanks, all.  Might be a few days before I can update the map, though.  Rocks asked questions about my criteria; I'll wait a bit and see if he posts publicly before I reply publicly.  :-)

Also, fwiw I am over the moon about Vigilante and Qualia beans, and glad to see Vigilante available at more places.  I hope they don't expend too fast and lose quality control, though.

Just in case anyone was under the impression that running a cafe is easy or straightforward, an interesting behind-the-scenes look at Big Chair in Anacostia.

That Big Chair Ownership/management situation was incredibly messy and screwed up.  Its the 2nd time recently I've been aware of an effort to shift the management/control of a restaurant/f & b place while not disrupting the lease and not making an outright shift.    I doubt it either party had all their ducks in order.

Experience suggests not to trust these types of changes, at least in the cases I've seen.

Rocks asked questions about my criteria; I'll wait a bit and see if he posts publicly before I reply publicly. :-)

I changed it from a post to a PM because my writing was so terrible - go ahead and reply publicly (I basically just asked porcupine what her criteria were for potential inclusion).

I had no idea!  I will add it to the map.  (I'll caution, once again, that the map's utility has been greatly compromised by the new google maps.  If you can view it in old google maps do so.)  And, I'll be visiting the shop soon.  Thanks for the tip!

In other news, though 14th St may have jumped the shark with the opening of LouLou and Trader Joe's, it's still a great place to go for joe.  Peregrine and The Coffee Bar serve excellent cups (brewed and espresso both), and will soon by joined by the permanent location of The Wydown on the west side of 14th between T and U Streets.  (Don't quote me on this, but the street number might be 1924.)  Yesterday they were stocking shelves and had a blackboard up; they hope to be open this coming Monday (June 9).  I hope so, too.

Has anyone been to the Mockingbird Hill coffee bar yet?  I'm not sure if I'm intrigued by the concept or a little put off by it, or both.

I intended to go either there or Room 11 yesterday, but other things happened and I ended up at La Colombe instead.  With 13 shops in 5 cities (including Seoul), they can't really be considered independent.

I'd had La Colombe coffee at a now-defunct restaurant and hated it.  But there are so many ways to mess up coffee, I decided to give the shop a try, and am very glad I did.  I got a mini-lesson in the steampunk brewing process and an excellent cup of coffee at the end.  Neat little space, too.  It's next to Rogue 24 in Blagden Alley.

I may have to re-think the definition of "independent", but for now La Colombe is going on the map.  With a star.

ps the map is getting downright crowded.  Not complaining about that, though.  Updated: http://goo.gl/maps/0NfQW

pps  Caffe Aficionado is still excellent, but one of the owners told me that Handsome roasters has been acquired by Blue Bottle, which received large amounts of funding for expansion; she was concerned that the quality of the beans would fall, but for now there isn't a noticeable change.  More info about Blue Bottle here.

• Like 1

Funny, before following the link to this thread I was wondering if La Colombe would qualify as independent. I've never been to one of their cafes but frequently buy their roasted beans from WF or online via their web site. The Corsica and Phocea are my favorite blends. I hope to visit their Blagden Alley location soon.

Many thanks to jondagle for recommending Room 11, where I had an excellent cappucino.  I'd agree, it gets a star (though I've only been once).

As of June 14, The Wydown still hadn't opened.  Consoled myself with a Honey Badger from The Coffee Bar instead.  I don't often drink flavored coffee beverages - come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had anything in coffee other than milk - but the Honey Badger is... interesting.  Espresso, honey, and half-and-half shaken with ice and strained.  For when you need extra sugar and fat to help keep you going after the caffeine gets you started.

After visiting Uprising Muffin Co., I'm in a bit of a conundrum.  What constitutes a coffee house?  Any small business that also serves coffee?  Any place where coffee is the raison d'etre?  Any place that invites you to sit around awhile and sip and nibble? (wifi notwithstanding).

Uprising is a niche bakery that serves coffee, and if the coffee was excellent I'd put it on the map, but the coffee was merely good, so now what?

Also, it really suffers in comparison to Mockingbird Hill... which also doesn't quite fit the popular notion of "coffee shop".  There are two little tables up front where you could relax and read the paper work on your computer while drinking coffee, but most of the seating is at the bar, and they take coffee really, really seriously (says the woman who drives half an hour each way once or twice a week for a good cup).  Sitting there, talking with the bartender barista, watching him brew a pour-over with the utmost attention to detail, is a real education.  The coffee was excellent, too.  I've never had a cup that was so clean and bright tasting.  But back when I drank whiskey and wine, I didn't want the Pappy Van Winkle or Willet reserve or some hundred dollar French red every single night.  Some nights -most nights- Four Roses in a manhattan or a few glasses of vin ordinaire were all I'd want.

All of which is to say, I really appreciate what MH is doing, but I wouldn't want to drink coffee there every day.  It would ruin me for a cup anywhere else.

After visiting Uprising Muffin Co., I'm in a bit of a conundrum.  What constitutes a coffee house?  Any small business that also serves coffee?  Any place where coffee is the raison d'etre?  Any place that invites you to sit around awhile and sip and nibble? (wifi notwithstanding).

Heh. You're starting to scratch the surface of moderation problems I must face every single day, in a whole host of subjects.

My guess is that it's like Potter Stewart's opinion on what "obscenity" is: "... I know it when I see it."

Some rules of thumb might be:

1) Do they make espresso drinks by hand? Even a place like Arax Cafe which used cheap Sysco-type coffee, would take the time to pull you a decent cappuccino (plus they made Turkish coffee) - even though there was only one person working in the entire store. I would consider for inclusion.

A counter-example to 1): District Taco in Arlington which uses M.E. Swing's coffees from a gravity-driven canister. You order, get a paper cup, pour your own coffee, grab a canister of half-and-half from the fridge, and a packet of Dixie Sugar Crystals and a cardboard cup-holder from the fixins bar, and have your coffee with WiFi (with, or without a meal). I would not consider this for inclusion.

2) If it's drip coffee only, is it *really* good drip coffee, and do you walk up to the counter and order it? If yes to both, I would consider for inclusion.

3) Can you hang out for a little while on your computer and enjoy your coffee over WiFi, preferably in a ceramic cup? If so, I would consider for inclusion.

4) How are the coffee accoutrements? Northside Social and Modern Times have simple syrup, for example. I would consider both for inclusion.

Elizabeth, you could take a dozen coffee lovers, and have them make their own map, and all 12 would be different. This is *your* map, and should reflect your decision making. Yes, it's perfectly fine - encouraged - to solicit opinions, but ultimately, you are the commander-in-chief, and it's your baby.

From Uprising Muffin Company's website:

Our coffee is locally roasted in small batches, so it couldn't be any fresher. Milk for our lattes comes from respectfully raised local cows and our sandwiches and salads are prepared fresh each day with local ingredients whenever they're available. The perfect place to meet up with some old friends, make some new ones, or take advantage of free wifi while nibblin' a hearty muffin and sippin' a drip, Uprising is Shaw's newest place away from home and the hustle and bustle.

They're also seeking to hire a barista.

Remember the title as your guide: "Independent Coffee Houses." Would you (not me, not Joe Blow; *you*) consider Uprising Muffin Co. an independent coffee house?

(And remember: very few decisions around here are permanent. Yes, God is in the details, but the map as a whole is more important than any one selection.)

Exactly the same as a $16 cocktail hand-stirred (for 12 seconds) right in front of you.

Or the $11 glass of juice.  It is truly amazing just how much people are willing to pay for beverages.  Are the folks who own coffee/cocktail/juice places laughing all the way to the bank?  Weren't they charging about 1/3 as much just a few years ago . . . and making a living?  Or were they always just squeezing by, and only recently discovered what the market will bear?

Or the $11 glass of juice.  It is truly amazing just how much people are willing to pay for beverages.  Are the folks who own coffee/cocktail/juice places laughing all the way to the bank?  Weren't they charging about 1/3 as much just a few years ago . . . and making a living?  Or were they always just squeezing by, and only recently discovered what the market will bear?

Bad pun!

We have so many excellent independent coffee shops in DC now (with more on the way), it'll soon be possible to get great coffee in virtually any area around the city for those who favor it.

Well could you please tell them to hurry the heck up and come to my neighborhood? There's *nothing* around where I live unless I want to drive 15 minutes each way and play Parking Nightmare in Rosslyn.

I forgot about Northside Social (I was talking about Amouri) - I think "daily morning coffee" needs to be five minutes or less away from where you are. Unfortunately for me, that means Starbucks. :(

Point taken. Outer Arlington County, inner Fairfax County, Bethesda and upper NW DC are, somewhat surprisingly, still the relatively underserved areas for good, independent coffee. Especially relative to downtown, Dupont, inner Arlington, 14UP, Petworth, and Shaw. I feel your pain but remain optimistic help is on the way. I attribute the slowness in those areas to an increasingly prevalent case of Entrepreneur Myopia, brought on by too much social media and buzz and which can tragically lead to 5 or more great shops virtually on top of each other. :D

• Like 2

Point taken. Outer Arlington County, inner Fairfax County, Bethesda and upper NW DC are, somewhat surprisingly, still the relatively underserved areas for good, independent coffee. Especially relative to downtown, Dupont, inner Arlington, 14UP, Petworth, and Shaw. I feel your pain but remain optimistic help is on the way. I attribute the slowness in those areas to an increasingly prevalent case of Entrepreneur Myopia, brought on by too much social media and buzz and which can tragically lead to 5 or more great shops virtually on top of each other. :D

It's a first-world problem. :)

• Like 1

Well could you please tell them to hurry the heck up and come to my neighborhood? There's *nothing* around where I live unless I want to drive 15 minutes each way and play Parking Nightmare in Rosslyn.

Ditto. Laurel basically has Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.  There is a HUGE opportunity at the Muirkirk MARC rail station in South Laurel for someone. Tons of commuters of the train, plus loads of traffic as Muirkirk Road/Route 1/ICC all merge there.

Ditto. Laurel basically has Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.  There is a HUGE opportunity at the Muirkirk MARC rail station in South Laurel for someone. Tons of commuters of the train, plus loads of traffic as Muirkirk Road/Route 1/ICC all merge there.

Ideally, coffee houses have a better chance to succeed where there is consistent foot traffic along with commuters and plenty of nearby offices and commercial businesses. I don't know the traffic patterns and demographics of Laurel well enough to say but clearly NoVa, Bethesda and upper NW DC should be able to support good shops and currently lack them with very few, and just partly-good exceptions (e.g., Little Red Fox or Politics & Prose in upper NW, Dolcezza in Bethesda).

Are there any theories on why places that should be able to support independent shops (i.e. Falls Church City) can't?

Not surpringly (bad sadly), the Little City Gourmet just closed. I know that was technically in Arlington in a bad location but add it to the list of places that have failed here...

Are there any theories on why places that should be able to support independent shops (i.e. Falls Church City) can't?

Not surpringly (bad sadly), the Little City Gourmet just closed. I know that was technically in Arlington in a bad location but add it to the list of places that have failed here...

I think the question is a subset of a much broader one: why do some (too many) small businesses fail?  Ensuring survivability/profitability of a small biz like a coffee shop is very difficult but certainly possible and based on too many factors to name here.  All that aside, I think pretty clear that most of the areas explicitly mentioned in the previous 6-10 posts here, including Falls Church, COULD support independent shops but, so far, haven't due to factors other than the neighborhood demographics and traffic patterns.