Hot Dogs

The Hersch

i think officially a chicago style dog would be classified by both the dog itself (Vienna Beef) and the accoutrements...if I remember correctly, include Mustard, Onion, Relish, sliced tomatoes, sport peppers, a pickle, and celery salt all in a slightly steamed poppy bun.

unfortunately most of the time I had these while completely blitzed and getting cursed at by the Wiener Circle workers (as is their custom) at 4am, so the details might be a touch off.

And never ketchup, apparently. I was once on a date at Wrigley Field and offered to get my date a hot dog while I was up. Since I forgot to ask what condiments he wanted, I got him one w/ mustard and one w/ ketchup. He looked at me like I was certifiably insane when I gave them to him. "Ketchup?! You put ketchup on my hot dog?! We don't do THAT here in Chicago."

Never again. (Ketchup or date)

And never ketchup, apparently. I was once on a date at Wrigley Field and offered to get my date a hot dog while I was up. Since I forgot to ask what condiments he wanted, I got him one w/ mustard and one w/ ketchup. He looked at me like I was certifiably insane when I gave them to him. "Ketchup?! You put ketchup on my hot dog?! We don't do THAT here in Chicago."

Thats funny! But, I guess if a guy got me a Philly pretzel and put ketchup on it, it would be a deal breaker. I put both mustard and ketchup on my dog, btw.

Dont judge me....... :lol:

Never ketchup on any hotdog. Period. Doesn't matter if its Chicago style, NY style, a Detroit coney or the fried New Jersey-style dogs. Mustard goes on hotdogs. Not ketchup. Ketchup is for burgers.

Of course, thats just my opinion... :lol:

Though I have roots in Chicago, I am not revolted by the idea of ketchup on a hot dog. A couple years ago I served Chicago-style hot dogs at a party -- I ordered them (frozen) from somewhere. I also ordered the buns. I'm sure a Google search would help if you wanted real dogs at home, not just when eating out :lol:

Though I have roots in Chicago, I am not revolted by the idea of ketchup on a hot dog. A couple years ago I served Chicago-style hot dogs at a party -- I ordered them (frozen) from somewhere. I also ordered the buns. I'm sure a Google search would help if you wanted real dogs at home, not just when eating out :lol:

real chicago dogs can be ordered online from portillos I know. We are going to be having them for Cubs opening day at my house.

I always liked a line of mustard and 2 lines of ketchup and some cheese on my hot dogs when I can get a good hot dog.

I just wish I could find an Italian Hot Dog place in or near Reston or Mclean without having to drive 20-30 miles!

IMHO the BEST hot dog only needs those sabrett cooked onions on them and a line of mustard to be perfect. :lol:

OH... in case anyone doesn't know (to save folks asking who don't know!) an Italian hot dog is a hot dog in a thick pita bread with cooked potatoes, cooked onions and cooked peppers and all the condiments that you can slather/drop on em. They ALSO can come with sausage instead - my dream dogs used to be found at Dickey Dee's and all those in the Bloomfield/Newark/Irvington corridor area.

I have to up the ante here - it may be somewhat common knowledge that southerners like to defile their hot dogs with cole slaw (which I also love), but it apparently is not well-known that many of us from WELL below the Mason-Dixon line also enjoy a good slather of Duke's mayonnaise on the bun, topped with a boiled or broiled dog of questionable origin, ketchup, and chopped onions. YUM :lol:

I just wish I could find an Italian Hot Dog place in or near Reston or Mclean without having to drive 20-30 miles!

... in case anyone doesn't know (to save folks asking who don't know!) an Italian hot dog is a hot dog in a thick pita bread with cooked potatoes, cooked onions and cooked peppers and all the condiments that you can slather/drop on em. They ALSO can come with sausage instead - my dream dogs used to be found at Dickey Dee's and all those in the Bloomfield/Newark/Irvington corridor area.

Granted Jake's WASTE plan was pretty damn funny, but am I the only one that is trying to figure out why this is called an Italian hot dog?

right now, I like beef dogs on a potato bun with mayo and dijon or ketchup! And speaking of southerners, My mom was from SC and when she made hot dogs for us she put mayo on them. She put mayo on fried egg sandwiches. She even used to make me mayo and grape jelly sandwiches that I loved! :lol:

In my opinion a real Chicago hot dog must be a Natural Casing Vienna Beef Hot Dog.

For those that are looking for Vienna Beef locations. VB has a locator on their web at http://www.viennabeef.com/dogfinder/index.asp Used the locator while on a trip to San Diego. Found a great place called "Chicago on a Bun" that we went to.

For ordering I've used both:

Vienna Beef http://www.givethegiftofchicago.com/

Lou Malnati's http://www.tastesofchicago.com/

Since I find the kit's expensive.... I tend to purchase bulk VB natural casing hotdogs from VB and my jars of sport peppers and neon relish either from VB or I have my sister send me a care package from Chicago as the jars are available at Jewel.

For the bun.... no one has poppy seed buns around here. So what we have been doing is taking a plain bun doing a light egg wash and then a sprinkle of poppy seeds. Then we either pop in the oven for just a couple of minutes wrapped in foil with a touch of water... I'm trying to slight steam not toast. Or I use the lazy method and put mustard on the bun and then sprinkle on the poppy seeds. It messes up the order that things should be for that true "Chicago Dog" but sometimes one has to make sacrifices. We had tried to put the poppy seeds on top but then tend to fall off and make a mess when one is eating.

We also have been to Zacks in Baltimore... YUMMMM! They will also sell you hotdogs in bulk and they have the neon green relish and sport peppers for puchase as well.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... will someone open a VB location in NoVA!

I am craving a good hot dog. Fried, soft but buttery toasted bun, yellow mustard, small diced raw onion.

It's nice if there are good fries, too. Medium handcut and extra crispy.

You know, not that I want perfection or anything.. :P

This is a rare treat for me so don't worry about salt, fat, grease, et al. No veggie dogs. Nothing with chicken. I want it down and dirty. I want to feel my arteries chug for a couple of hours. :blink:

ETA: I would not snub red onion sauce like you see in the NY area.

I am craving a good hot dog. Fried, soft but buttery toasted bun, yellow mustard, small diced raw onion.

It's nice if there are good fries, too. Medium handcut and extra crispy.

You know, not that I want perfection or anything.. :P

This is a rare treat for me so don't worry about salt, fat, grease, et al. No veggie dogs. Nothing with chicken. I want it down and dirty. I want to feel my arteries chug for a couple of hours. :blink:

ETA: I would not snub red onion sauce like you see in the NY area.

If no one identifies a restaurant for you, the Sterling/Dulles Wegmans has a wide variety of hot dogs, including NY regional dogs and some of the sauces.

In my opinion a real Chicago hot dog must be a Natural Casing Vienna Beef Hot Dog.

For the bun.... no one has poppy seed buns around here. So what we have been doing is taking a plain bun doing a light egg wash and then a sprinkle of poppy seeds. Then we either pop in the oven for just a couple of minutes wrapped in foil with a touch of water... I'm trying to slight steam not toast. Or I use the lazy method and put mustard on the bun and then sprinkle on the poppy seeds. It messes up the order that things should be for that true "Chicago Dog" but sometimes one has to make sacrifices. We had tried to put the poppy seeds on top but then tend to fall off and make a mess when one is eating.

FWIW, infohunter, I don't think you have to turn in your badge if you omit the poppyseeds :-)

It's been a matter of some debate, but the "officialness" of the Chicago dog has become a little overblown, it seems. Of all the pre-1955 stands still standing in Chicago, only one (Fluky's) includes the full complement of toppings now widely regarded as the "Chicago Dog", while the others serve more minimal combinations of toppings (mustard, onions and relish being quite popular). My own informal survey of over 50 downtown Chicago hot dog stands revealed that only 18% strictly adhered to the "standard". Even Vienna Beef's own advertising signs before the mid-70s pictured plain bun dogs topped only with mustard, relish (plain green -- not yet neon) and sometimes onions.

Point being, the highly specific "true" Chicago-style dog is less a reflection of the city's hot dog stands and more of a marketing phenomenon.

(That said, I prefer a fully-dressed dog... including poppy seeds :-)

/tangent

FWIW, infohunter, I don't think you have to turn in your badge if you omit the poppyseeds :-)

It's been a matter of some debate, but the "officialness" of the Chicago dog has become a little overblown, it seems. Of all the pre-1955 stands still standing in Chicago, only one (Fluky's) includes the full complement of toppings now widely regarded as the "Chicago Dog", while the others serve more minimal combinations of toppings (mustard, onions and relish being quite popular). My own informal survey of over 50 downtown Chicago hot dog stands revealed that only 18% strictly adhered to the "standard". Even Vienna Beef's own advertising signs before the mid-70s pictured plain bun dogs topped only with mustard, relish (plain green -- not yet neon) and sometimes onions.

Point being, the highly specific "true" Chicago-style dog is less a reflection of the city's hot dog stands and more of a marketing phenomenon.

(That said, I prefer a fully-dressed dog... including poppy seeds :-)

/tangent

Alas, 'tis true..the stands are wimping out a bit. However, the carts seem to stick by the standard. In Uptown, where I grew up, you can still find the real thing on the streets and the carts out by the Field Museum also have 'em. Other neighborhoods, you are on your own.

Alas, 'tis true..the stands are wimping out a bit.

Other way 'round... most of those stands aren't suddenly producing inferior dogs -- rather, they're refusing to change what they've been serving all along to meet the new-fangled definition of what's "standard" :-)

I find it interesting that according to the National Hotdog and Sausage Council the Washington/Baltimore area is the 3rd largest consumer of hotdogs in the country. But yet it is impossible to find a decent dog in this city. My last attempt at Ben's made me wish that I had just gone to a dirty water cart, or even 7-Eleven for my hotdog fix, it was that bad.

The best hot dog you can get in Baltimore will require that you make it at home after schlepping to the Laurel Meat Market and picking up some Thumann's hot dogs. Seriously. They are that good. And, so far, Laurel Meat Market is the only local place that I know that carries them. More info on these dogs can be found here. I highly recommend them. Great snap, and slight sourness to the meat makes you keep coming back for more, more more.

The best hot dog you can get in Baltimore will require that you make it at home after schlepping to the Laurel Meat Market and picking up some Thumann's hot dogs. Seriously. They are that good. And, so far, Laurel Meat Market is the only local place that I know that carries them. More info on these dogs can be found here. I highly recommend them. Great snap, and slight sourness to the meat makes you keep coming back for more, more more.

The Wegman's in Fairfax has the Thumann's Beef and Pork in Natural Casing dogs in the case across from the deli counter. Damn those are good dogs. Now I just want to find the Push Cart Style.