Road Trip to LA

ALB

Hi everyone, I am leaving saturday to drive my sister out to graduate school in Los Angeles and I was hoping for some help for the gallery here. Do you all have any favorites along the way out there? We are stopping in- pigeon forge, tn

Memphis

Dallas (visiting friends there so that one is taken care of)

Clovis, NM

Taos, NM

Sedona, AZ

Las Vegas

So if you know any place in these cities, surrounding areas and places in between- please chime in!

The only reservation we have right now is Lotus of Siam in Vegas. The only caveat is- we are both grad students, so I am really wondering- what is your favorite taco stands or bbq places or other similarly priced places.. sadly we'll have to skip the higher price places this trip.

Thanks All!

Hi everyone, I am leaving saturday to drive my sister out to graduate school in Los Angeles and I was hoping for some help for the gallery here. Do you all have any favorites along the way out there? We are stopping in- pigeon forge, tn

Memphis

Dallas (visiting friends there so that one is taken care of)

Clovis, NM

Taos, NM

Sedona, AZ

Las Vegas

So if you know any place in these cities, surrounding areas and places in between- please chime in!

The only reservation we have right now is Lotus of Siam in Vegas. The only caveat is- we are both grad students, so I am really wondering- what is your favorite taco stands or bbq places or other similarly priced places.. sadly we'll have to skip the higher price places this trip.

Thanks All!

Depending on the route you take from Clovis to Taos, there's Angelina's in Espanola. Maybe hit it for lunch? I had lamb tacos there that were really good. I can't recall what else I had, but it seems to be a "must stop" if you're passing through.

I was looking to economize on the last trip I took out that way (right around at the time the economy collapsed in 2008 :mellow: ) and did not eat at any of the finer establishments in Taos. Alley Cantina was bee-infested and smelled like last month's beer, but it was a good place to read a book and drink a few beers. The staff were very friendly and the fries surprisingly good. Didn't order any other food there. I ate all of my breakfasts at the B&B where I stayed. If you don't have a place, I can look up the name.

If you've heading out of Taos towards the ski area or just want to take a little drive, for local color I loved Abe's Cantina in Arroyo Seco. It's a local hangout bar attached to a taco/enchilada/etc. place where you can buy food to bring into the bar to eat. There was a potter named Scott Carlson selling his wares just steps away from there, if you're in the market for pottery. Really nice guy producing beautiful pieces.

What a fun trip! In Memphis I recommend sticking with BBQ. You can't go wrong with either Cozy Corner or Central BBQ. Both are awesome. In addition to great traditional fare like ribs and chopped pork, try the Cornish Hens at Cozy Corner and the Bologna at Central BBQ.