Anna Blume

Lunch - The Mid-Day, Polyphonic Food Blog

Sauteed some bok choi and flavored with sesame oil, persimmon vinegar, Korean soy, mirin atop soba noodles {frozen, boiled & chilled , the veggies warm}.

Thai bananas. 

• Like 1

I had yogurt and half a banana. My husband had the last of the quinoa with kale slaw and white beans from last night and finished the potato corn chowder (and the rest of the banana).

• Like 1

Shrimp in remoulade sauce over salad. I used Dijon mustard and I should’ve used grainy mustard. Next time!

Saturday:

I don't remember

Sunday:

Leftover vegetable soup w/lots of root veggies & crushed canned plum tomato.

Crudite. 

Leftover Kohlrabi leaf soup w/Asiago and Fontina but no sausage. The cheese is a superb addition.

Can of Genova yellowfin tuna in olive oil w/cocktail onions, stuffed green olives, homemade mayo.

Every time e open a can now, Spot thinks is is Pizza Time for Spot and he meows loudly and blocks our steps from the klitchen to where his bowl is. Then come the dirty looks. We made a deal with him: wash the dishes and we will increase your pizza ration. So far.... He has some sort of excuses: no opposable thumbs and to fat to jump on kitchen counters. As if!

20200511_195246.jpg.bea921963b69af944d17af492fce790a.jpg

• Like 2

My husband had a leftover hamburger on a roll and Cape Cod potato chips for lunch. I had a toasted half roll with butter and raspberry preserves. Another banana, split 🙄 .

Dinners have been taken care of the past three nights care of Rose's, for lunch we have had an assortment of fridge things: Chili that was defrosted from the freezer, cereal with fresh strawberries, leftover sausage broccoli pasta, a variant on pad thai with shrimp, cold yakisaoba, lebanese bologna sandwiches, wrap with leftover tandoori chicken and yogurt.  Today is likely kale salads.

• Like 1

Udon in a cup with a large purple spring onion, a drop of soy, a drop of fish sauce. 

A small cup of Kay's Kimchi Jigaee taken from the freezer.

Korean cucumbers w/ume, soy, lemon juice.

• Like 1

I made cream of broccoli soup this morning, from an old Craig Claiborne New York Times Cookbook recipe. I used to make this fairly often but it's been a while. It's intended to be served cold, but I usually serve it warm.

That was the centerpiece of lunch, along with more whole wheat toast and butter, the last of the quinoa grain bowl with tahini dressing, and yogurt with blueberries.

• Like 1

Grilled cheese sandwich with quick pickled red onions. Who knew it would be so tasty and a clementine for dessert.

• Like 2

Was out running errands and had a Ruben sandwich at Eisenhower cafe near Restaurant Depot. Mom and pop quick order grill.

Once home, had a bowl of left over dashi soup from last night. 

• Like 1

Last of the dashi, cabbage, tofu & mushroom soup.

Big plate of roasted and grilled veggies with three flavored mayos: fish sauce & red onion; Sakura cherry blossom soy, key lime juice & zest, & mint; home fermented mustard w/wasabi & kraut juice. 

Spot had a nap. But he did actually beg for cat treats wih both paws off the ground. His diet is working! 

• Like 3

Lentil soup with Indian flavors, that I defrosted from the stash in the freezer. I topped it with grated Parmesan, which was an odd but great combination. 

• Like 3

Croissants from Atwater on the way home from Westover Market. Spinach & feta, ham and cheese. I think Atwater does savory croissants better than any of the bakeries at the Farmer's markets we frequent. 

• Like 2

Chicken noodle, rice, and vegetable soup plus breakfast burritos (potato, roasted red pepper, black beans, asparagus, scrambled eggs)

The chicken soup had both noodles and rice because I added leftover rice pilaf that had vermicelli noodles already mixed in. Two for one. In addition to some chunks of chicken, the soup had broccoli, carrots, and roasted parsnips. The stock/broth for the soup came from the carcass of the chicken I roasted several days ago.

• Like 2

We hit up a local Peruvian restaurant for lunch yesterday and had the leftovers today. I had Cau Cau and the last of the salad while my husband enjoyed the chicken and rice.  

• Like 2

We had some Restaurant Depot romaine that actually was several weeks old. Thanks to gladd storage bags, damp paper towels and a good fridge, it was still mostly in edible shape. We made a huge salad with an avocado. red onion, goya garbanzos, homemade spicy mustard mayo, garlic & rosemary olive oil, red, balsamico & sherry vinegar. Very filling and quite good from what surely could have gone into the trash.

Dessert: a small serving of the strawberry tequila sorbetti. Next time just onc cup tequila instead of the one plus a splash. After than a quality control bit of our

lastest

3.5x vanilla. Still a little soft but incredible.

Spot came out and complained at the chow in his bowl. In an effort to reduce the puking, we are putting out all his dry food in the AM. A hour before pizza time, we pull any dry food left out. Then he gets his pizza at his reservations time {please finish your pizza in less than 2 hours and fifteen minutes, please do not be more than 15 minutes late or we might give way your pizza; we are trying to get his credit card number to guarantee his reservations but all he does is hold up one claw. Does this have some special cat meaning? Or is his cat express number just 1. And why the middle claw?} 2 hours after pizza time, we give him back his dry food. He gives us a piece of his mind for the rest of the evening.

He got a new brand of cat treats and he is willing to stand on his hind legs and gently hold my hand in his paws, claws retracted, in order to take it. 

• Like 2

Broccoli fried rice for lunch today, made from the leftover broccoli and rice pilaf leftovers with a couple eggs, garlic, ginger, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and a splash of homemade chicken stock. Topped with cashew pieces.

We also had small salads of iceberg and grape tomatoes with TJ's sesame soy ginger vinaigrette. Mine had some crumbled blue cheese.

• Like 2

Thursday lunch:

From our profish order, we enjoyed 1# of stone crab claws. I just wish I acted on these sooner when I could have paid 60% of their current price. Amazingly sweet! We had a trio of dips: lemon juice, homemade roasted garlic mayo, a blend of cherry blossom shoyu and bottled yuzu juice. We wound up dipping on one of the citrus sauces and then the mayo. 

Salad: last of Spring Valley's super salad, can of sacha brand heart of palm {TJ's current brand and really superb quality,} Goya romano beans, avocado, red onion, the remaining trio of dips from the crab, roasted rosemary & garlic olive oil served with toasted atwater whole wheat sourfough to slop up the dressing and avocado bits.  

• Like 2

I cubed some marinated tofu and fried it up in a skillet (with the marinade added back in) and served that today with leftover mung bean dal and brown rice from last night. It was good.

The tofu was TJ's super firm high protein, which is great because it doesn't hold a lot of liquid. While I like firmer tofu rather than softer, this is just a bit too firm and I find it a little tough. I really like the store brand extra firm tofu from WF, but this suffices when it's what I've got.

• Like 1

We made a cold soba style dish based on Zaru Soba. I boiled fronzen soba noodles. After pulling the noodles from the water, I cooled tham in running water and served with a dipping sauce of bottled soba noodle sauce, grated daikon, sliced spring onion. 

salted Indian cukes & asian pear marnited in persimmon vinegar, soy, mirin, rice syrup, fish sauce

Frozen dumplings, boiled & served in the soba cooking water flavored w/soy & black vinegar. On some of the Asian street food videos we wach on YouTube, they are served "noodle water" on the side. Taking inspiration from this, I tried it and it was very good. 

• Like 2

We had BLTs for lunch today, with duck bacon, butter lettuce, and Campari tomatoes, on homemade bread. On the side: homemade cole slaw and potato chips. I sliced some of a loaf of French bread I made yesterday in sections and halved and toasted them. My husband's had the last of a tahini - vinaigrette spread on it and I had mayo.

• Like 1